Bucks pay Jrue and the tax

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

slos
Starter
And1: 1,194

Bucks pay Jrue and the tax 

Post#1 » by slos » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:30 pm

First Bucks bring everyone back

- Middleton 4y/100mil
- Bledsoe 3y/60mil
- Brogdon 4y/60mil
- Mirotic 3y/50mil
- Lopez tax-MLE, PO

Then they trade Snell, Ilyasova, Wilson, DiVincenzo, Brown, 2019 FRP for Holiday

Bledsoe........ Duval
Holiday........ Brogdon
Middleton..... Connaughton
Giannis........ Wood
Lopez.......... Mirotic

Bucks add another great fit with Jrue in their starting 5 and will have Brogdon and Mirotic coming from the bench for 30+ minutes. They lose all their other depth, but will still have guys capable for 5-15 quality minutes and of course they can add some vets.

The hard task for Horst would be to keep Lopez with 5.5 mil and talk the ownership into paying the tax. Like last summer though Lopez’s market could stay again low for some reason. Paying the tax also could be one year thing for the Bucks with declining contracts - let’s say Middleton gets 28, 26, 24 and 23 - and the cap going up.

For rebuilding New Orleans four young players is a huge return for Holiday IMHO. That’s why they have to take back Snell and expiring Ilyasova too.

Thoughts?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Re: Bucks pay Jrue and the tax 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm

This is unworkable for a whole bunch of reasons. Salary and cap holds aside, you can't trade your first. You could trade the player you selected with your first. But that package might, and I mean might, have neutral value and the Pelicans will get positive value offers for Jrue.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,340

Post#3 » by Kurt Heimlich » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 pm

That wouldn't be a winning bid for Holiday (Bulls, Magic, Suns, Wolves all could easily beat that). You're offering spare parts and the 30th pick (not to mention snell's contract).

I'm guessing Brogdon will get more than 15M/year.Teams like the Suns, Magic and Bulls all should be in the market for guards like Brogdon and Bledsoe. Middleton will obviously have a big market also. And I personally wouldn't pay Niko 50/3 either. The Bucks will be in for some fun this offseason for sure.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:This is unworkable for a whole bunch of reasons. Salary and cap holds aside, you can't trade your first. You could trade the player you selected with your first. But that package might, and I mean might, have neutral value and the Pelicans will get positive value offers for Jrue.

It's also a 6 for 1 trade where none of the guys sans Ilyasova are really "cuttable" (or at least they'd want to keep the cheap guys).
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#5 » by Mykhyn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Holiday would be instead of Bledsoe I feel like.
slos
Starter

Post#6 » by slos » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:This is unworkable for a whole bunch of reasons. Salary and cap holds aside, you can't trade your first. You could trade the player you selected with your first. But that package might, and I mean might, have neutral value and the Pelicans will get positive value offers for Jrue.

Yes I mean the player that Bucks draft, not the pick itself. If Bucks then resign their players in July 1st, why can’t this be workable after? It will be 26 mil coming in and 28 mil going out.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#7 » by Woody Allen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm

New Orleans say no. The league is filled with mediocre young players. Three of those + a late 1st won't be enough for Jrue. You're going to have to offer young player(s) who have actually shown promise.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#8 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm

As mentioned, offer too low for Jrue.

As for Bucks' FAs, I think bigger numbers are in order. Middleton probably gets a max (~$35m per) offer - not because he's a max player per se, but because there are too many max slots available. Bledsoe probably won't, but $20m per year still feels low.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 pm

slos wrote:

Yes I mean the player that Bucks draft, not the pick itself. If Bucks then resign their players in July 1st, why can’t this be workable after? It will be 26 mil coming in and 28 mil going out.

I haven't calculated where you'd be after re-signing all your guys, but you'd have 5 cap holds plus Jrue's salary. It may technically be legal, but six for one trades rarely work out.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#10 » by BullyKing » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
slos wrote:

I haven't calculated where you'd be after re-signing all your guys, but you'd have 5 cap holds plus Jrue's salary. It may technically be legal, but six for one trades rarely work out.

I did some rough calculations and they'd only be about 6 million over the tax line. The real issue is Brodgan is getting a deal that starts higher than the 13.5 million proposed here and Middleton will get more than the $22.4 that a 4/100 starts at. So if you think Middleton is getting a max and Brodgan will be more like 18 million a year, they'd really be over 20 million above the line.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,497

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:06 pm

On a team with Jrue, Bledsoe and Middleton, I don’t think Brogdon will be worth the contract he gets.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#12 » by BullyKing » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:09 pm

jayjaysee wrote:On a team with Jrue, Bledsoe and Middleton, I don’t think Brogdon will be worth the contract he gets.

Jrue really makes Bledsoe redundant in my view. I'd rather keep Brodgon and bid farewell to Bledsoe.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
slos
Starter

Post#13 » by slos » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:18 pm

BullyKing wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:On a team with Jrue, Bledsoe and Middleton, I don’t think Brogdon will be worth the contract he gets.

Jrue really makes Bledsoe redundant in my view. I'd rather keep Brodgon and bid farewell to Bledsoe.

Holiday is now more a SG and Brogdon works also better as SG. Both of course can play PG too. The idea is to have two of Bledsoe, Holiday, Brogdon in at all times sharing the 96 minutes in PG and SG.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#14 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Gross. Jrue Holiday is on an albatross contract and he immediately hampers the ceiling of your team when he's taking up nearly 30% of your cap room. I want no part of this as a Bucks fan.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#15 » by BullyKing » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 pm

slos wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Holiday is now more a SG and Brogdon works also better as SG. Both of course can play PG too. The idea is to have two of Bledsoe, Holiday, Brogdon in at all times sharing the 96 minutes in PG and SG.

Having two SG who still possess ballhandling skills is perfectly fine when you have Giannis. A lineup of Jrue/Brogdon/Giannis/Mirotic/Lopez is plenty filthy.
NYSixersFan wrote:
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,497

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm

BullyKing wrote:
slos wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Having two SG who still possess ballhandling skills is perfectly fine when you have Giannis. A lineup of Jrue/Brogdon/Giannis/Mirotic/Lopez is plenty filthy.

Fair. I should have said one of Bledsoe or Brogdon wouldn’t be worth their contracts if you add Jrue.

This seems to make a lot more sense next December when Bledsoe or Brog can be included and it’s not a 6 for 1 trade.. Or a couple weeks ago with Hill’s contract.

The OP is not just asking the OP to pay the tax, but to pay OKC level taxes. Well over 50% of cap in those three, 50% in Gianni/Middleton, throw in Niko and Lopez... And then a real max for G comes and Milwaukee is already in repeater tax and it’s more like Gilbert money..
slos
Starter

Post#17 » by slos » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Did a little math here. With the contracts suggested and the idea of declining contracts this team will cost around 145-148 mil in 2019. In 2020 with only Giannis going up in salaries and Midds, Bled, Brog and Miro going down + some dead money out, the bill will reduce to 140 mil. Which will be the tax line with the cap going to 116 mil.

You can argue that the resignings proposed are “friendly” for the Bucks. I can agree. It’s also a fact though that getting their prices higher is a massive overpay. I mean the max Middleton thing is ridiculous, I can’t see anyone paying Bledsoe 25 mil or Mirotic and Brogdon being paid in the 20s. If any of this happens Bucks should pull a Jabari and let them walk.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#18 » by pelifan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Gross. Jrue Holiday is on an albatross contract and he immediately hampers the ceiling of your team when he's taking up nearly 30% of your cap room. I want no part of this as a Bucks fan.

I think 99% of fans would disagree.

Take a good look though because if that contract looks bad to you, you're going to hate what the Bucks resign their players for this summer.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#19 » by pelifan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:50 pm

slos wrote:Did a little math here. With the contracts suggested and the idea of declining contracts this team will cost around 145-148 mil in 2019. In 2020 with only Giannis going up in salaries and Midds, Bled, Brog and Miro going down + some dead money out, the bill will reduce to 140 mil. Which will be the tax line with the cap going to 116 mil.

You can argue that the resignings proposed are “friendly” for the Bucks. I can agree. It’s also a fact though that getting their prices higher is a massive overpay. I mean the max Middleton thing is ridiculous, I can’t see anyone paying Bledsoe 25 mil or Mirotic and Brogdon being paid in the 20s. If any of this happens Bucks should pull a Jabari and let them walk.

So what's your plan if the Bucks have a mostly empty roster. Because I think Middleton is easily going to get in the 30s and Brogdon in the 20s. Maybe you can get Bledsoe on 4 years 80, but I wouldnt be shocked if he too got more. Mirotic is probably looking at 15 per but I could also see him taking less to stay in Milwaukee.

There are a ton of teams with capspace.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,099

Post#20 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 pm

This would need to be a sign and trade with Brogdon and a pick.

Return to Trades and Transactions