Minny/LAL Ingram/Covington

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,839

Minny/LAL Ingram/Covington 

Post#1 » by giberish » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:55 am

In this hypothetical, the Lakers make some win-now moves (trade/FA) to put more star(s) around LeBron but still have Ingram in-house (probably don't have Davis).

LAL trade Ingram + Wagner to Minny for Covington

Why for LAL: They get a great 3/D role player on a very good contract. Assuming that they have another couple offense-creator options along with LeBron they won't want another guy who needs the ball much in the starting lineup. A role player who can provide a lot of value without needing the ball will be much more valuable for the next couple of seasons.

Why for Minny: They've got Towns under contract for 5 more seasons, and unlike LeBron, he should be getting better through that time. They can afford to wait for what Ingram might get to. They need to find a perimeter star to pair with Towns (it's not Wiggins and Towns will keep them from being that bad so unless they get very lucky they wont get high lotto picks). Ingram probably doesn't get there but there's some chance that he does.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Re: Minny/LAL Ingram/Covington 

Post#2 » by marcush » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 am

I think the Wolves are looking to win, therefore better off keeping Cov and avoiding BI.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#3 » by Streakers33 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Kinda thinking Minny passes as Covington checks all the boxes Minny needs next year.. I’m kinda putting him on the not touchable list, until we get till this time next year and see what we have as a team..

———————-
2019 BAT
Jrue holiday. Jeff Teague.
Josh okogie. Andre Roberson.
Klay Thompson. Kelly oubre Jr

Montrezi Harrell Jakob poeltl.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,986

Post#4 » by wolves_89 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Covington is currently the better player (by a fairly large margin) and is signed for 3 years after this season at a bargain rate. Ingram only has one year left on his rookie deal and still hasn't shown all that much. I don't see any way the Wolves give up an elite 3-and-D guy on a good contract for a player whose value is largely unproven upside.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#5 » by jbent87 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Is Covington healthy and playing yet? I kinda like the idea of this thread and the continued support for the great 3/D player that Covington is but how did we get here (him having the value of a former #2 pick with untapped potential upside) with him missing so much time since hes been traded?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#6 » by shrink » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t see Ingram as having as much trade value as Covington.

I expected to see more from him by now. Even if he demonstrates it at the end of this season, he will be extension eligible this summer, and has only one more year for rookie scale. Covington is locked up on a good deal for 3.5 years.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#7 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:12 pm

What do we think about:

Cov, Saric for Ingram, Kuz?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,491

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:29 pm

jbent87 wrote:Is Covington healthy and playing yet? I kinda like the idea of this thread and the continued support for the great 3/D player that Covington is but how did we get here (him having the value of a former #2 pick with untapped potential upside) with him missing so much time since hes been traded?

This is what happens when you don’t improve at all for your first three years.

He still has intrigue obviously, but hes still too skinny to scare and can’t shoot. And a couple weeks ago I was trying to figure out what Dallas could add to turn DSj into him, so I understand wanting to take a shot on actually getting through to him - but he isn’t worth Covington at all imo.

Maybe Minnesota first if they end up 8-10?

But you’d have to ask NOP how they feel about that..
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:40 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:What do we think about:

I know this is not a popular stance.. But I’d rather have Dario. Unless that extra cheap year sways me, but for over the cap Minnesota - I’d rather have Dario.

But why the Kuzma love so strong nowadays? I get he’s 23 and scoring 19.1ppg.

But he’s a stretch four shooting 32% from the three, with a higher usage. 23 year old Dario was 14.6ppg and shot 39.3% from the three.

Other Laker kid gets called out for points on a bad team and Kuz gets called up and coming just because he was drafted later?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

I know this is not a popular stance.. But I’d rather have Dario. Unless that extra cheap year sways me, but for over the cap Minnesota - I’d rather have Dario.

But he’s a stretch four shooting 32% from the three, with a higher usage. 23 year old Dario was 14.6ppg and shot 39.3% from the three.

Other Laker kid gets called out for points on a bad team and Kuz gets called up and coming just because he was drafted later?

Eh, Lakers have a better record than the Wolves, and Saric is really only shooting well from 3 with the Wolves this year. I'd also say control and volume of shots factor. I have Kuz as a little more valuable. Enough to offset the difference between Ingram and Cov.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Eh, Lakers have a better record than the Wolves, and Saric is really only shooting well from 3 with the Wolves this year. I'd also say control and volume of shots factor. I have Kuz as a little more valuable. Enough to offset the difference between Ingram and Cov.

Eh Lakers are 6 and 12 in the games Bron missed, right?
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

And the better record is only one game ahead. The record has a lot more to do with LeBron than it does with Kuzma or Saric.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#13 » by shrink » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:18 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Eh, Lakers have a better record than the Wolves, and Saric is really only shooting well from 3 with the Wolves this year. I'd also say control and volume of shots factor. I have Kuz as a little more valuable. Enough to offset the difference between Ingram and Cov.

And the better record is only one game ahead. The record has a lot more to do with LeBron than it does with Kuzma or Saric.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#14 » by Resistance » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 pm

I am trying to see how Ingram is a good fit for Minnesota. Towns already shoots the three pointer better than Wiggins and adding another wing that isn't even at the Wiggins level on three point shooting would hurt spacing.

Even an expanded trade that includes Kuzma still has spacing problems and the defense isn't going to be improved.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#15 » by SmokeyPaw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Resistance wrote:I am trying to see how Ingram is a good fit for Minnesota. Towns already shoots the three pointer better than Wiggins and adding another wing that isn't even at the Wiggins level on three point shooting would hurt spacing.

Even an expanded trade that includes Kuzma still has spacing problems and the defense isn't going to be improved.

Defense gets decidely worse.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#16 » by Karmaloop » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 pm

We're getting further and further away from it. The Lakers aren't swapping Ingram for Cov, and they're certainly not throwing in Kuzma for Saric. IF the Lakers do opt to move on from Brandon Ingram, it's going to be a clear upgrade. Not a definitive 3&D guy.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 154

Post#17 » by schaffy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Well, the Lakers do have LeBron James, which tends to help the win-loss record a bit.

And Saric has taken over twice as many 3s with the Wolves than he did in Philly, and is shooting 40% on them, with 36% overall on the year. And again, shot 39% from 3 last year.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#18 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm

I proposed this same trade earlier in the year and was met with the same resistance from Wolves and Lakers fans.

I think I've soured more on Ingram as the year has progressed and have to side with Minnesota on this one. I figured they would try to bottom out completely after the Butler trade, now it seems evident that isnt the intention.

They are banking on Towns continuing to improve and Wiggins to take the summer and come back more engaged with Butler gone now. Hopefully it works for them, unfortunately that Wiggins contract looks like a killer.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#19 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Big no From me
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#20 » by Streakers33 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:41 am

I’m just hoping this intern coach has the balls to make Wiggins come in as a sub to okogie as he has earned that spot. If that doesn’t light a fire in Wiggins, we screwed

—————————————————

2019 BAT

Jrue Holiday Jeff Teague
Andre Roberson Josh okogie
Klay Thompson. Kelly Oubre jr
Gorgi dieng
Montrezi Harrell Jakob Poeltl

Return to Trades and Transactions