How valuable is Pascal Siakam?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

How Valuable is Pascal Siakam

#1 Overall Pick
3%
Top 5 draft pick
33%
Top 10 Draft Pick
41%
Late Lotto
18%
Draft pick in the late teens
2%
Draft pick in the 20's
3%

Total votes: 132

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Re: How valuable is Pascal Siakam? 

Post#21 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:58 pm

yellowknifer wrote:
pillwenney wrote:He probably is currently the best player out of all of those guys. The thing is though that he's about to turn 25, and that makes a difference. Despite the leap he made this year, that's going to reflect as him having a lower ceiling than definitely Tatum, and arguably Brown and Ingram.

I think we haven't seen enough given his age to view him as a future cornerstone in terms of being an offensive fulcrum, but we have seen enough to know that he's a very good over all player, and an awesome glue guy with a particularly valuable skillset and body type. That's not a knock. Those players are very valuable.

I would say unless it's a particularly weak draft (say '13 or '00), he's worth a top 10 pick.

He has also only played basketball at any level for 7 years. His upside is as immense as his wing span and athleticism.

This just isn't true. He was discovered by A Moute at a camp nine years ago, that doesn't mean that he just started playing ball then.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#22 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:06 pm

yellowknifer wrote:
patman52 wrote:
yellowknifer wrote:
And yet Tatum has played much more basketball than Siakam ever has. His age is not the same issue it typically is.

What does Tatum have to do with it And how much does high school ball mean after three years in the pros? Both Tatum and Siakam play more in one year in the pros both game and organized practice against like talented professionals than they did in 4 years of high school.

Pascal didnt play 4 years in high school. He played 1 year after he first touched a basketball and then went to college. Then the NBA.

:roll: He played in basketball camps as a kid, played acedemy ball in the states, played two years of college ball, then spent time in the developememtal league. Stop acting like he was the model for "The air up there". He had plenty of developement, including a NBA mentor as a kid.
I'd take Zion, Barrett, Ja, Reddish, and a healthy Bol over him in this year's draft, so def a top ten pick. Garland and Porter I would need to see more but on a playoff team Siakam would be the easy pick. Upside and age matters, especially since this is Siakams breakout season and we haven't seen him play at this level for a full year yet.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#23 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:50 am

For me I only trade Siakam for a youngish star big man like Anthony Davis. Yeah that's easier said than done. I don't move him for guys like Middleton, Mike Conley, Jrue Holliday or Bradley Beal.

If Toronto is offered a pick I hope they draft RJ Barrett I honestly see it as Zion and RJ as the two lead dogs in this draft. Reddish is a solid prospect but I rather RJ. Morant, Hachimura and Okpala I don't think have Pascal's worth to The Raptors

If we are going the pick route I think they're is probably writing on the wall that Leonard is on his way out
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#24 » by azwfan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:02 am

To a team with a superstar, if Siakam is your 2nd best player, you are probably a legit contender (obviously depending on what else is on the team). I don't think he's a #1... but #2 on a contender is pretty damn valuable.

If i'm the Raps i don't trade him for the any 2 of the Lakers youngins. Might do it for all 3 though (in a rebuild situation).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#25 » by Dat2U » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:27 am

If I have the sixth pick or later, yes.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#26 » by jimmy keys » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27 am

Prokorov wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:This guy doesn't get nearly the exposure he deserves. When people were discussing the AD trade, we heard a lot about the Celtics young guys, the Lakers young guys, the Clippers and Knicks picks, but nobody brought up Siakam like he could be a major piece in an AD trade.

Hes averaging 16/7/3/1/1
Hes increased his 3pt % considerably, hes a stud on both ends of the court, and his advanced stats suggest hes better than any young Celtic or Laker.

I personally think its time we start talking about him at or around the same tier as Tatum. Id take him over any 2 young Lakers.

What do you guys think hes worth?

I dont think he is on the same Level as Tatum as a player/ceiling. When you factor in Tatum is 4 years younger and consider it as a value asset, he isnt in Tatums class.

Zion/Morant would be 5 years younger and cost controller and would probably be viewed with a higher ceiling as well. Again, that knicks pick would have much more value.

Siakim is a nice player. is he a role guy or the #3 guy on a contender? If he isnt that #3 guy now he probably is in the future. The issue is, he is 24 (and from Cameroon so who knows really?). and is good but not great. What makes him better then say Caris Levert or Sabonis or Jamal Murray? His stats are really nice... but what do they look like when he isnt playing next to kawhi/kyle/serge? Yeah i know when kawhi was out he had some big games. but we cant just say over 82 games he would be the same guy.

I think I'd value him sonwhere between pick #14-18 if i had to put a number on it. if he was 20 or 22 it would be mid lotto.

worst post of 2019 thus far.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#27 » by pelifan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:16 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:For me I only trade Siakam for a youngish star big man like Anthony Davis. Yeah that's easier said than done. I don't move him for guys like Middleton, Mike Conley, Jrue Holliday or Bradley Beal.

I get no to Midds, Conley and Jrue. But I think Beal is going a little too far.

Maybe given Toronto's roster construction you could argue Siakam is more valuable to the Raptors, but I think most teams would take Beal.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#28 » by stitches » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:41 am

I'd give up a pick in the 5-10 range for him.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#29 » by youngthegiant » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 am

I say 10-15 range. Siakam is a good player. I recently listened to some podcasts.... and they were saying Siakam could be the centerpiece for Anthony Davis trade. That's just ridiculous to me. Siakam is going to be a great 3rd option on a championship caliber team but I certainly wouldn't want to build my franchise around him. I wouldn't trade a pick inside the top 10 unless I had two established players with star potential. Teams still have hopes of finding a superstar in the top 10, which is why these picks are hardly ever traded unless it's a weak draft or part of a trade for an all-star level talent.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#30 » by RollingWave » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:12 am

Depends on the draft but a more average draft I'd say top 5 though closer to 5 than 1
The river of time wash away all heroes
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#31 » by jbent87 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Didn't know he was almost 25... but no joke, last time Sixers played the Raptors and I saw this guy hanging around the perimeter with his shooting 3s or pumping and drive to the basket there was a moment where I thought he reminded me of Durant with his length, etc... I can see the hype with him. Definitely a good player.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#32 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm

pelifan wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:For me I only trade Siakam for a youngish star big man like Anthony Davis. Yeah that's easier said than done. I don't move him for guys like Middleton, Mike Conley, Jrue Holliday or Bradley Beal.

Maybe given Toronto's roster construction you could argue Siakam is more valuable to the Raptors, but I think most teams would take Beal.
I love Beals game but on this team he forces Kawhi to the PF spot and Danny Green to the SF and there is this glaring thing called $20+ million in salary so Toronto would have to include guys like Ibaka or Powell and VanVleet. I think it guts this team too much to trade for Beal.

I think Siakam is worth more to Toronto right now when you factor in his contract, defensive ability to guard every position and how he just never stops running the floor. I get that Davis is much better one v one but I don't see The Lakers giving up Kuzma plus four picks and Ingram and Ball. That's too much and I don't think The Pelicans want Lonzo when you get that big mouth Lavar. I also don't think The Celtics give up Tatum right now. I mean you might get Brown plus their picks and guys like Smart, Rozier and Semi. Doesn't look like a great haul but right now I can't see teams giving up their entire young core for a guy who had stated he has no desire to resign anywhere other than LA
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#33 » by pelifan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
pelifan wrote:

I love Beals game but on this team he forces Kawhi to the PF spot and Danny Green to the SF and there is this glaring thing called $20+ million in salary so Toronto would have to include guys like Ibaka or Powell and VanVleet. I think it guts this team too much to trade for Beal.

I think Siakam is worth more to Toronto right now when you factor in his contract, defensive ability to guard every position and how he just never stops running the floor. I get that Davis is much better one v one but I don't see The Lakers giving up Kuzma plus four picks and Ingram and Ball. That's too much and I don't think The Pelicans want Lonzo when you get that big mouth Lavar. I also don't think The Celtics give up Tatum right now. I mean you might get Brown plus their picks and guys like Smart, Rozier and Semi. Doesn't look like a great haul but right now I can't see teams giving up their entire young core for a guy who had stated he has no desire to resign anywhere other than LA

The first part of your post just reiterates the 2nd part of mine.

The 2nd part of your post has nothing to do with anything but if you're insinuating the Pelicans should accept Siakam for Davis um no.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#34 » by pacers33granger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:58 pm

He's more valuable than the average fan would think, but less valuable than how this board tends to view him as he's not a centerpiece to a star trade.
RollingWave
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by RollingWave » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:05 pm

pacers33granger wrote:He's more valuable than the average fan would think, but less valuable than how this board tends to view him as he's not a centerpiece to a star trade.

Most people, fans or here or even nba execs, over estimate what a star can get back in a trade.

Siakam player+contract is way more valuable than anyone the Raptors traded for Kawhi
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#36 » by pacers33granger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 pm

RollingWave wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:He's more valuable than the average fan would think, but less valuable than how this board tends to view him as he's not a centerpiece to a star trade.

Most people, fans or here or even nba execs, over estimate what a star can get back in a trade.

Siakam player+contract is way more valuable than anyone the Raptors traded for Kawhi

The Kawhi situation and trade is not something that should be referenced as true value. That was a very unique situation that has really never happened before. He can bring back someone on the level of Bradley Beal (not saying the Raps should do that), but he's certainly not the major asset in an AD trade like some have stated.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#37 » by patman52 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 pm

yellowknifer wrote:
patman52 wrote:
yellowknifer wrote:
And yet Tatum has played much more basketball than Siakam ever has. His age is not the same issue it typically is.

What does Tatum have to do with it And how much does high school ball mean after three years in the pros? Both Tatum and Siakam play more in one year in the pros both game and organized practice against like talented professionals than they did in 4 years of high school.

Pascal didnt play 4 years in high school. He played 1 year after he first touched a basketball and then went to college. Then the NBA.

I know that, what I am saying is that his lack of background when he was in high school is negated by the two years he played college ball and three years in the NBA. how many years of playing in the nba and college does it take in your opinion to negate the impact of not playing HS ball on his professional skill set. I am think 4 years is plenty
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#38 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:39 pm

RollingWave wrote:

I'm not sure if I have Siakam as more valuable than Derozan...
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#39 » by dalton749 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
RollingWave wrote:

I'm not sure if I have Siakam as more valuable than Derozan...

Most raptors fans do. Siakam scoring 17 ppg is better than demar scoring 25 ppg.

I’d rather have siakam and it’s not even close.
RollingWave
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by RollingWave » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:29 am

pacers33granger wrote:
RollingWave wrote:

The Kawhi situation and trade is not something that should be referenced as true value. That was a very unique situation that has really never happened before. He can bring back someone on the level of Bradley Beal (not saying the Raps should do that), but he's certainly not the major asset in an AD trade like some have stated.

When do teams actively trade a star player though?

Most star trade was exactly because they're asking out, or that they're not as good as the reputation and their contract has negative value anyway .

Return to Trades and Transactions