Chicago & Washington: Satoransky Sign & Trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Chicago & Washington: Satoransky Sign & Trade 

Post#1 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:37 am

The rare sign & trade, not seen as often these days after some rule changes, but if I have my information correct, this following is the tricky part:

The BYC rule applies to a specific circumstance. If a player is being signed-and-traded via Early Bird or Bird rights by a team above the salary cap, gets a raise of at least 20%, and his salary is worth more than the minimum, his cap figure for salary-matching purposes will be affected. For the team acquiring him, his full salary would apply in a trade. For the team trading him, he would count for his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater.

The Bulls will have the cap space however to make this work.

Chicago in: Tomas Satoransky (signed at 4 years $44 million)

Washington in: Kris Dunn and Antonio Blakeney (combined $5.5 M)

I really like Satoransky's size, playmaking and shooting either alongside the Bulls current starters or off the bench (depending on other free agent plans and the draft).

For Washington - they're in a bit of a odd situation with Wall's injury and Satoransky's desire to be seen as a point guard:

“I’m a point guard. I’m definitely a point guard. I will never be agreeing with someone that tells me otherwise,” Satoransky said. “I know how I feel here.”

Source: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-pass-first-guard-tomas-satoransky-gets-his-shot-defining-his-role-free-agency

Dunn and Blakeney (the later really just being there for salary) both only have a single season remaining on their current contracts, giving the Wizards a point guard during Wall's recovery without committing long term money to a position where they already have a lot of money committed (Wall).

So it helps Chicago sign Satoransky with only half the money coming for their cap space, and helps Washington find a short-term stop gap during Walls recovery that they could decide they like and have matching rights after the season.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Re: Chicago & Washington: Satoransky Sign & Trade 

Post#2 » by pipfan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 am

He would not be my first choice, but I have thought of him in Chicago. I think he would be a great 3rd guard, but could start at PG as our rookie (Ja or Garland) get used to the league
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#3 » by Woody Allen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:10 am

That's a lot of money for Satoransky. And he either belongs on the bench or on an otherwise really good and well functioning starting five where he can be the complementary role player. Chicago isn't a good fit.
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 510

Post#4 » by letsgobulls23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 pm

I like Satoransky a lot and but that's too much money I think
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#5 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:04 pm

pipfan wrote:He would not be my first choice, but I have thought of him in Chicago. I think he would be a great 3rd guard, but could start at PG as our rookie (Ja or Garland) get used to the league

I do think a move like this is dependent upon when and where the Bulls draft, if we have a top 3 pick and get Morant I probably don't pursue this.

With Garland (while i'm not sure he'd be my pick if we're selecting 4-7 but let's say he is) I do like his shooting and scoring but am unsure of his ability as a play maker. Whether Garland, or someone else is our pick, I think Satoransky makes sense here as a point guard capable of running the offense, spacing the floor, and defending other positions so we can hide someone like Garland.

The Bulls have a number of holes on their roster, this sign and trade is a unique opportunity to fill one of those holes without using straight cap space, which preserves more cap space for additional positions.

Woody Allen wrote:That's a lot of money for Satoransky. And he either belongs on the bench or on an otherwise really good and well functioning starting five where he can be the complementary role player. Chicago isn't a good fit.

As a RFA I think you have to put up a number Washington balks at, also I don't think it's that much for a 6'7" guard who shoots 40% from 3 and as a starter averages 6 assists per game. So slight overpay due to RFA but for a useful player.

I'm a sucker for length, Satoransky's shooting also makes him a good fit alongside our other starting players in my opinion.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#6 » by Woody Allen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:17 pm

He makes 0.8 three pointers per game. If you're going to mention his percentage then also make a mention of the fact that he has by far the lowest outside shooting volume of all starting PGs (other than Ben Simmons)
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#7 » by drosereturn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm

letsgobulls23 wrote:I like Satoransky a lot and but that's too much money I think

He's worth 10. Just look at his win shares. Basically, we become the Wizards w/o committing Wall, Beal.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#8 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:49 pm

4 years/$44million ? Shoot, they can have him for that price . Wiz will run Troy Brown Jr at PG until Wall gets back.

If any team gives Satoransky an offer sheet higher than ~$10M they can probably get him . He's a good game manager , but can't create shots off the dribble and is 28yo without much upside.

In general when putting a roster together you don't want to have too many veteran role players on bloated contracts. For ex: Monte Morris is a 23yo backup PG and he's just as productive as Sato, and Denver picked him up in the 2nd round. You can always find those guys without overpaying
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#9 » by ChettheJet » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:12 pm

I don't see the Bulls locking into 4 years to gamble on a minor player stepping up as a starter just to get a late 1st in a very top heavy draft.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,668

Post#10 » by penbeast0 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I don't see the Bulls locking into 4 years to gamble on a minor player stepping up as a starter just to get a late 1st in a very top heavy draft.

Chet, I loved you as a player, but where does the 1st come from?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#11 » by drosestruts » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Woody Allen wrote:He makes 0.8 three pointers per game. If you're going to mention his percentage then also make a mention of the fact that he has by far the lowest outside shooting volume of all starting PGs (other than Ben Simmons)

This is fair, it did increase to around 2 3's per game if you split for games he was a starter in, would still like to see that number come up.

Return to Trades and Transactions