Pelicans get the First Pick

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who do you keep?

AD
No votes
Zion
50%
Both
50%

Total votes: 18

euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Pelicans get the First Pick 

Post#1 » by euroleague » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm

What do they do? Retool around Zion or Davis?

EG. Zion option: Trade AD to Boston for the next pieces - kings pick, Celtics pick, Tatum, Brown, and Rozier for AD

Rozier
Jrue
Brown
Tatum
Zion

Very cheap, young roster

Davis option: Same thing but trade Zion not AD
Jrue
Brown
Tatum
Randle
AD

Rozier off the bench

AD is only 26 - this offers a bright future
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Re: Pelicans get the First Pick 

Post#2 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:48 pm

If I get Zion, I probably at least start the season with Davis and hope Zion changes his mind. If not, ship AD before the deadline.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#3 » by Crives » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Maybe see if you can get a big FA interested to form a big 4. Kemba would be a great fit with the help defense from AD/Zion. If you can get someone to bite trade future 1sts for cap and waive some players.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#4 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:23 pm

I like the trade AD option because you can get really wild with that.

Trade AD for Tatum, King’s pick, Boston pick, and Brown.

Then you trade Holiday because he’s too old for the roster: Trade Holiday and Kings pick for the 2 pick, draft Morant. Then draft Tyler Herro with the Boston pick.

Morant
Brown, Herro
Tatum
Zion
Randle, Okafor

And a ton of cap space for that team. I’d watch the heck out of that team
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#5 » by Revenged25 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm

If AD is actually willing to stick around, you keep both. If you feel it's just lips service, then you trade him to a team with a lot of young talent/high picks that's willing to take the risk on him.

If I'm trading AD though I'm also trading Jrue.

So:
Trade #1:
NOP In: #2 Pick, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, + Matching Salaries as needed
NOP Out: Anthony Davis

NYK In: Anthony Davis
NYK Out: #2 Pick, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, + Matching Salaries as Needed

Trade #2:
NOP In: #4 Pick, Josh Jackson, + Matching Salaries as needed
NOP Out: Jrue Holiday

Suns In: Jrue Holiday
Suns Out: #4 Pick, Josh Jackson, Warren, + Matching Salaries as needed

After winning the Lottery and AD informing them that he would still like to leave, the Pelicans send him to the NYK for their 2 young players and the #2 pick in the draft. At #2 they select Ja Morant taking the Suns expected target. After the Cavs select RJ Barrett at #3, the NOP and the Suns make a trade for the PG they've need to round out their roster while the Pelicans to continue their rebuild by selecting Jarrett Culver at #4.

2019/20 roster:
Morant/Culver/Knox/Zion/Mitchell with Randle/Okafor/Jackson/Warren off the bench.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm

first off I don't think there is more than a 1% chance AD wants to stay right now regardless Of Griff trying to position himself to get a fair value return for him.
That said, if they got Zion they could trade AD for both ATL picks (esp if 1 is in the top 3 sending Davis to the Hawks) and have 3 top 10 picks in the draft. They would have to take back Bazemore and fillers of little on court value though to make the deal work.
However, if they get the 2nd pick and take Morant,then they have ammunition to retain Davis
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#7 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:19 pm

You only keep Davis if once the ping pong balls drops rewarding Zion to NOP, he signs the max extension. Otherwise, move on from that drama and build around Zion.

I call Knicks. Davis for #2 or #3 plus all the other filler. Draft Morant or Barrett.

Then Holiday to highest bidder. If Suns will give #3 or #4 (I think NOP needs to add value) do that.

Easily leave with 3 of the top 5 picks, plus youth and future picks. Talk about new excitement in New Orleans. No more Davis drama.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#8 » by Revenged25 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:22 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:You only keep Davis if once the ping pong balls drops rewarding Zion to NOP, he signs the max extension. Otherwise, move on from that drama and build around Zion.

I call Knicks. Davis for #2 or #3 plus all the other filler. Draft Morant or Barrett.

Then Holiday to highest bidder. If Suns will give #3 or #4 (I think NOP needs to add value) do that.

Easily leave with 3 of the top 5 picks, plus youth and future picks. Talk about new excitement in New Orleans. No more Davis drama.

I posted that scenario a little up higher up.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#9 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:33 pm

On the flip side...

#1 + Moore

For

Beal + #6

Then trade Hill + #6 + Future 1st for about 23mil or less player, probably a SF. How about Covington + Saric? Thoughts?

Davis
Saric
Covington
Beal
Holiday

Sign a vet C to come off bench so Davis doesn’t have to play all C — and that is best team he has ever had.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#10 » by euroleague » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:30 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:On the flip side...

#1 + Moore

For

Beal + #6

Then trade Hill + #6 + Future 1st for about 23mil or less player, probably a SF. How about Covington + Saric? Thoughts?

Davis
Saric
Covington
Beal
Holiday

Sign a vet C to come off bench so Davis doesn’t have to play all C — and that is best team he has ever had.

I considered that, but I thought Minny won’t do it and the youth via Boston is better
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:33 pm

I think the worst thing you can do if you're NOP and somehow luck into winning the lotto and Zion, is to then deal away any vets and load up on top 5 draft picks. The easy thing to do in a "rebuild" is say, "Trade 'em all and we'll get all the top picks and re-load immediately", but, who teaches those guys how to win in the NBA? Who keeps those guys from running all over each other trying to get theirs?

At the least, I keep Jrue. A steady hand and solid leader in the locker room is exactly who I want to help guide a guy like Zion into the NBA. I do my best to keep the best player in the NBA in AD and see if all of a sudden this is a team he sees a future for, and that he thinks he could win with. If not? Then I look to move AD for Tatum and probably vet pieces. MAYBE one impact pick, but I'm not dealing everyone to walk away with a Morant/Reddish/Zion core, or what have you.

Return to Trades and Transactions