LBJ to SA

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

LBJ to SA 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 am

Let's say the Lakers strike out in FA, and can't get AD. LBJ might want out-one last shot at winning. We know he loves Pops. His family could stay in LA while he makes a 2 year last run at a title with them (Pops too)

DD/rights to #18 and #27/2021 unprotected pick for LBJ

Lakers get an All Star, LA native who fits in well, plus add 2 picks (SA drafts so well they would want those 2 guys)

Ball/Hart
DD
BI
Kuz

Plus the #11, 18 and 27-and more cap space to play with. They could make the playoffs while staying flexible. Maybe AD still signs there in 2020, and LBJ comes back in 2021?

SA does this as a going away present for Pops-they could win a title, then start all over in 2021
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: LBJ to SA 

Post#2 » by Pythagoras » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:50 am

I don’t particularly care to deal with SA on a general matter of principle, but if you were going to trade LeBron you’d target a rebuilding package, and that’s not what this is. That said, I don’t think we should trade him.
Numbers rule the universe.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#3 » by pipfan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:02 am

This is on the idea that LBJ wants out-he will be able to dictate where he goes
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#4 » by Resistance » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:20 am

Pythagoras wrote:I don’t particularly care to deal with SA on a general matter of principle, but if you were going to trade LeBron you’d target a rebuilding package, and that’s not what this is. That said, I don’t think we should trade him.

What would be considered a rebuilding package?
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#5 » by Chinook » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Don't think Lebron and Aldridge are a good fit, and it'd kill DeRozan to be traded again. I'm not going to get into the "value" part of it. I just don't think it's the direction the team should go in, especially without also off-loading Mills' salary in the process. Definitely not giving LAL an unprotected first
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#6 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Pop didn't want to deal with LAL for Kawhi. Suggested that AD shouldn't be traded to LAL. We not sending him James. Politics aside, send DD to a third team for rebuilding assets.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#7 » by Pythagoras » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Resistance wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:I don’t particularly care to deal with SA on a general matter of principle, but if you were going to trade LeBron you’d target a rebuilding package, and that’s not what this is. That said, I don’t think we should trade him.

What would be considered a rebuilding package?

I actually missed the part about the 2021 unprotected first. That changes this deal quite a bit. DD would need to be redirected to another team for more assets though, as I have zero interest in him...

That said, I want nothing to do with a SA trade. I rather give LBJ away to Hou for practically nothing than accept every premium asset the Spurs have.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

pipfan wrote:This is on the idea that LBJ wants out-he will be able to dictate where he goes

For the first time in his life, I'm not sure that meshes with reality.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#9 » by Pythagoras » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:06 pm

pipfan wrote:This is on the idea that LBJ wants out-he will be able to dictate where he goes

He can state his preferences, but no, he can’t dictate where he wants to go because he’s under contract. Beyond which, I’d rather just run it back with LBJ + the young guys + shooters. That last part is key because Magic in all his infinite wisdom decided not to add shooters this past offseason.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,714

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:54 pm

just like Kawhi, PG, and AD all managed to do.....?

Beyond that Lebron chose LA for reasons beyond basketball. His pride isn't going to allow him to admit failure after one year where he dealt with injury and force LA to trade him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#11 » by Resistance » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Pythagoras wrote:

He can state his preferences, but no, he can’t dictate where he wants to go because he’s under contract. Beyond which, I’d rather just run it back with LBJ + the young guys + shooters. That last part is key because Magic in all his infinite wisdom decided not to add shooters this past offseason.

He wanted to be in LA and knew that riding with youth and one year placeholders (Rondo, KCP etc) wasn't a sure thing. There was drama/turmoil with the trade discussions for Davis and the LA youth feeling betrayed by being included in the trade discussions.

There has to be a team receptive to taking him and quite a bit of expected baggage because he got his way in Cleveland and attempted to get his way in LA. I wouldn't want to be the POBO or GM that has to tell LeBron to shut up because I don't think he will. He will be unhappy by being pushed out of LA and unhappy that he doesn't have a pliable organization that he can manipulate.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Chinook » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:52 am

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Pop didn't want to deal with LAL for Kawhi. Suggested that AD shouldn't be traded to LAL. We not sending him James. Politics aside, send DD to a third team for rebuilding assets.

Pop refused to deal with LAL because their assets weren't good. I'm not trying to be insulting, but a lot of folks on here back then thought that, and this past year only confirms that. LAL could have literally given up all of their young players, and it still wouldn't have been as good as DeRozan has been (and yes, I know we're talking about DeMar DeRozan). That LAL also thought they could demand Murray suggested Magic wasn't negotiating in good faith. The Davis rumors support that too. That Magic thought he could hold back anything in a Davis trade hurt much more than Stephen A Smith popping off about Pop and Demps.

LAL and SAS have a lot of reasons to have bad blood. This shouldn't be one of them. I doubt the Spurs could offer the best package for a James trade (hell, Atlanta could offer cap space and the Dallas pick). But if they did, there's no reason why the Lakers shouldn't take it.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#13 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Chinook wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Pop didn't want to deal with LAL for Kawhi. Suggested that AD shouldn't be traded to LAL. We not sending him James. Politics aside, send DD to a third team for rebuilding assets.

Pop refused to deal with LAL because their assets weren't good. I'm not trying to be insulting, but a lot of folks on here back then thought that, and this past year only confirms that. LAL could have literally given up all of their young players, and it still wouldn't have been as good as DeRozan has been (and yes, I know we're talking about DeMar DeRozan). That LAL also thought they could demand Murray suggested Magic wasn't negotiating in good faith. The Davis rumors support that too. That Magic thought he could hold back anything in a Davis trade hurt much more than Stephen A Smith popping off about Pop and Demps.

LAL and SAS have a lot of reasons to have bad blood. This shouldn't be one of them. I doubt the Spurs could offer the best package for a James trade (hell, Atlanta could offer cap space and the Dallas pick). But if they did, there's no reason why the Lakers shouldn't take it.

What was Magic hold back in the Davis trade? He literally offered everything not named Lebron. There would definitely be bad blood for pop meddling in something that didn't concern him.

Rumor said pop would never deal with the Lakers. Never said what pop thought of their assets. If pop knows LAL doesn't have Kawhi asssets then that makes for a very short trade call. Same for Demps.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#14 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:19 pm

The spurs can kick rocks. We would want 10 first round picks, Derrick white, and Lonnie walker. U wanna sabotage us at every turn this is what u have to pay
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Chinook » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
Chinook wrote:

What was Magic hold back in the Davis trade? He literally offered everything not named Lebron.

He offered to let NOP select some of whatever wasn't Davis. I think it was two of their young players and filler. Should have been all of the Lakers' young players, and picks, and LAL taking any contracts NOP wanted gone. It should have been like how Dallas bent over for Kristaps. There was no negotiation through the media. Dallas called and asked what it would take. The Knicks basically said "Everything but Doncic", and Dallas agreed. You don't mess around when you're trying to trade for a super star. Magic never learned that. Ainge may not know that still.

There would definitely be bad blood for pop meddling in something that didn't concern him.

Again, you're taking Stephen A Smith as a credible source on either Pop or Demps, and neither makes sense. Even if he did do that, it's condescending to tell arguably the most influential man in the NBA not to meddle (and ironic, consider how his player equivalent unambiguously meddled in this situation). For all you know, Demps could have asked Pop what he should do. Is Pop supposed to be like, "I can't say anything. It would be unfair to Magic"? No. Johnson was a plague on the league in his time leading the Lakers. Both LAL and the other 29 teams will be better off without him.

Rumor said pop would never deal with the Lakers. Never said what pop thought of their assets. If pop knows LAL doesn't have Kawhi asssets then that makes for a very short trade call. Same for Demps.

It was a very short trade call. The Lakers called, the Spurs said "everything", and LAL hung up thinking it was a negotiating tactic. The rumors then started coming out about how the Spurs were being unreasonable in their demands for Leonard. And you know, blah blah that whole value war we had with Lakers, Celtics and Sixers fans last year happened. Magic seemed to think that the Spurs HAD to deal with them, so he could not only hold firm to his small offer, but he could actually lower the offer in a Godfather like maneuver. There was never a time when the Lakers came correct on a Leonard offer. They just continued to offer a really bad package and tried to force the Spurs to take it.

From what I recall, the same thing happened in NOP. Lakers called not willing to offer everything, so there was nothing to discuss.

Return to Trades and Transactions