Buss Wants Riley: If Hired - Best Vets For Lakers Young Guys / Heat Finally Rebuild?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Buss Wants Riley: If Hired - Best Vets For Lakers Young Guys / Heat Finally Rebuild? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:16 pm

There are rumors that the Lakers have interest in hiring Pat Riley. We all know Riley loves win now moves and the Lakers have young guys while the Heat may be more willing to trade their vets for any asset possible.

So let’s say he gets hired hypothetically and Riley went all in on winning now while the Heat decide they reached their ceiling with this core and went for the rebuild that Riley has avoided...

1. Which vets are Riley targeting with the Lakers young guys if he went all in on winning now?

2. What rebuilding moves are out there for the next Heat regime?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Re: Buss Wants Riley: If Hired - Best Vets For Lakers Young Guys / Heat Finally Rebuild? 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:23 pm

LOL. I understand that Riley and LBJ buried the hatchet a bit, but this is really asking for trouble.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,836

Re: Buss Wants Riley: If Hired - Best Vets For Lakers Young Guys / Heat Finally Rebuild? 

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Pretty sure Riley has already squashed this, no?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM

Post#4 » by NYG » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Pretty sure Riley has already squashed this, no?

I mean Saban squashed the Alabama rumors when he was Dolphins coach and as a Knicks fan, I don’t totally trust Riley.. realistically he stays, but the hypothetical of it happening changes a lot
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#5 » by donkeylips » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I can see him going after Davis or Beal if he strikes out on free agents
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,108

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Not sure why Riley would have any interest.
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#7 » by teke184 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 am

NYG wrote:There are rumors that the Lakers have interest in hiring Pat Riley. We all know Riley loves win now moves and the Lakers have young guys while the Heat may be more willing to trade their vets for any asset possible.

So let’s say he gets hired hypothetically...

1. Which vets are Riley targeting with the Lakers young guys?

Why would Riley want to leave Miami for LA?

I know it would be coming home to where he won titles as a coach, but he's had more success as coach / GM of the Heat than he had with the Showtime Lakers. He also made the Heat a winner rather than taking over a team that was already winning titles like he did in LA.

While Riley would be a good choice as he is an excellent executive / GM, this strikes me as yet another case of Jeannie Buss falling all over herself for someone with Laker bonafides when she should be looking for the best person she can get, especially one who has expressed interest in the job.

Hire a freaking headhunter, Jeannie.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#8 » by warren weel im » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 am

teke184 wrote:
NYG wrote:There are rumors that the Lakers have interest in hiring Pat Riley. We all know Riley loves win now moves and the Lakers have young guys while the Heat may be more willing to trade their vets for any asset possible.

I know it would be coming home to where he won titles as a coach, but he's had more success as coach / GM of the Heat than he had with the Showtime Lakers. He also made the Heat a winner rather than taking over a team that was already winning titles like he did in LA.

While Riley would be a good choice as he is an excellent executive / GM, this strikes me as yet another case of Jeannie Buss falling all over herself for someone with Laker bonafides when she should be looking for the best person she can get, especially one who has expressed interest in the job.

IMO, the idea of Riley leaving Miami to bring glory back to LA as PBO is the exact thing that would appeal to him.
NYG
RealGM

Post#9 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:46 am

warren weel im wrote:
teke184 wrote:

IMO, the idea of Riley leaving Miami to bring glory back to LA as PBO is the exact thing that would appeal to him.

Yeah I’m sure coming back to LA is at least close enough to interesting that a blank check and whatever power incentive they could provide would get Riley thinking and he’s beloved enough in Miami that I can’t see them not taking him back.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#10 » by Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 am

I don't understand how we went from the Lakers wanting Riley to the Lakers trading young assets for veterans to Miami going rebuild. There's a reach I'm missing inbetween.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
NYG
RealGM

Post#11 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 am

Slava wrote:I don't understand how we went from the Lakers wanting Riley to the Lakers trading young assets for veterans to Miami going rebuild. There's a reach I'm missing inbetween.

I edited the OP hypothetical details to show what ideas I was looking for in this thread. I just don’t see Riley waiting for the Lakers young guys to develop if he was hired and I think the only reason the Heat haven’t rebuilt is because Riley’s mentality isn’t made for a long rebuilding process.
NYG
RealGM

Post#12 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:16 am

NYG wrote:
Slava wrote:I don't understand how we went from the Lakers wanting Riley to the Lakers trading young assets for veterans to Miami going rebuild. There's a reach I'm missing inbetween.

I edited the OP hypothetical details to show what ideas I was looking for in this thread. I just don’t see Riley waiting for the Lakers young guys to develop if he was hired and I think the only reason the Heat haven’t rebuilt is because Riley’s mentality isn’t made for a long rebuilding process.

Take the Riley hiring catalyst out of it if you don’t care for that. What moves do you see for a win now at all costs Lakers and rebuilding Heat?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:26 am

NYG wrote:

If Riley is hired to be the president he'd do what is best for the franchise in the long term, that's the whole point of being a president. If he thinks it's not good to mortgage everything on a 3 year run with a 35 year old LeBron, he might even trade him, he has the clout to do so.

I'm not sure why you think the heat are not rebuilding, they are in a way doing that. Just because they haven't tanked completely doesn't mean they are making decisions for the short term.
NYG
RealGM

Post#14 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:32 am

Slava wrote:
NYG wrote:

If Riley is hired to be the president he'd do what is best for the franchise in the long term, that's the whole point of being a president. If he thinks it's not good to mortgage everything on a 3 year run with a 35 year old LeBron, he might even trade him, he has the clout to do so.

I'm not sure why you think the heat are not rebuilding, they are in a way doing that. Just because they haven't tanked completely doesn't mean they are making decisions for the short term.

So take the Riley part out of it if that’s what you don’t like about what I want from the thread.

What are the best veterans out there for the Lakers young pieces and the best young pieces out there for the Heat veterans?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#15 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:53 am

I don't think the Heat have anything that really interests the Lakers.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:47 pm

NYG wrote:
Slava wrote:
NYG wrote:

So take the Riley part out of it if that’s what you don’t like about what I want from the thread.

What are the best veterans out there for the Lakers young pieces and the best young pieces out there for the Heat veterans?

That seems like a very broad question that cannot be answered before the draft lottery is set, free agency is crystallized and playoffs play out.

There's half the league still playing and we don't know how teams react to those results.

For example, how the blazers might react with Lillard's super max might differ based on if they make it to the WCFs or if they lose to thunder.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,235

Post#17 » by BBallFreak » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Miami's core is young, and the veterans they have are either expiring contracts or not valuable enough to garner anything. So Miami plays out its hand, with or without Riley.

I don't see Riley leaving for LA though.last time they tried to steal him back from Miami he talked them out of Shaq...
NYG
RealGM

Post#18 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Slava wrote:
NYG wrote:
Slava wrote:

That seems like a very broad question that cannot be answered before the draft lottery is set, free agency is crystallized and playoffs play out.

There's half the league still playing and we don't know how teams react to those results.

For example, how the blazers might react with Lillard's super max might differ based on if they make it to the WCFs or if they lose to thunder.

You’re a Lakers fan, right? What’s the talk out there? I know trading Ingram would be selling low right now which isn’t sensible and Ball’s defensive presence exceeds what any return would garner so he’s a keeper. Do you think Kuzma and the ‘19 lotto pick are in play?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:23 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Miami's core is young, and the veterans they have are either expiring contracts or not valuable enough to garner anything. So Miami plays out its hand, with or without Riley.

I don't see Riley leaving for LA though.last time they tried to steal him back from Miami he talked them out of Shaq...

I don't think he talked them out of Shaq, Dr. Buss tried to talk him into coming to LA to coach Kobe but Riley only wanted to come if he could keep Kobe & Shaq. Shaq was going to be out regardless so he went back to Miami with that info and a head start.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

NYG wrote:
Slava wrote:
NYG wrote:

You’re a Lakers fan, right? What’s the talk out there? I know trading Ingram would be selling low right now which isn’t sensible and Ball’s defensive presence exceeds what any return would garner so he’s a keeper. Do you think Kuzma and the ‘19 lotto pick are in play?

The '19 pick is going to be in play unless it lands #1.

Return to Trades and Transactions