I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#1 » by loserX » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:15 pm

We've had some success and interest in these threads in the past, so figured we'd revive them for this year's lottery teams to start!

How would you handle the Minnesota Timberwolves' offseason?

Front office changes, June draft, July free agency, and trades throughout...it's all on the table!

Current salary:
Andrew Wiggins.....27,270,000.....29,290,000.....31,310,000.....33,330,000
Karl-Anthony Towns.27,250,000.....29,430,000.....31,610,000.....33,790,000.....35,970,000
Jeff Teague..........19,000,000
Gorgui Dieng.........16,229,213.....17,287,640
Robert Covington....11,301,219.....12,138,345.....12,975,471
Dario Saric............ 3,481,986
Josh Okogie.......... 2,530,680..... 2,651,040(TO). 4,087,904 (TO)
Keita Bates-Diop..... 1,416,852..... 1,663,861 (ung)
Cole Aldrich.......... 685,340*.... 685,340*

*Aldrich's salary is "dead money": it counts against the cap but cannot be traded or otherwise removed.

Free agents: Taj Gibson, Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Tolliver, Tyus Jones, Luol Deng, Derrick Rose
Total of above for 2019-20: $109,165,290
2019 projected cap: $109,000,000

That leaves the Timberwolves with no cap room. The 11th pick will count for about $4.03M if paid 120% of scale, which almost everyone does. There are also roster spots to fill.

Draft
The Timberwolves have the #11 pick in 2019, and #43 in the second round.

They have all their own future picks, and an additional 2022 2nd rounder incoming.

Some possible questions to consider:
1) Wiggin' Out? The Wolves have over half their cap for the next 3 years committed to two players...and only one of them has been good. What to do with a young player owed over $93M who seems to have stalled? Do you cut bait and try to move him at (almost) all costs before even more potential gets wasted? Hold the line and hope somehow he can turn it around, either to keep or at least look more appealing to other teams?
2) Power Shortage: Towns is a very promising player, but he still has holes in his game. As a result, finding a full-time power forward to play next to him has been a challenge. The team has looked for defence in Taj and shooting in Tolly, but these are guys without much left in the tank. Is an inconsistent Saric the best fit? (And how does his 2020 free agency come in to play?) If not, is there a better long-term fit out there?
3) Talking Point: the team's PG situation is also a bit of a mish-mash. Incumbent Jeff Teague is competent but uninspiring, and well-paid for one more year. Derrick Rose reinvigorated himself as a 6th-man scoring machine, but is a free agent with no Bird Rights. Tyus Jones is also able, but also a free agent and never seemed to break all the way through in Minnesota, so may be looking for greener pastures. Is the team's best option already in the fold, or should they look elsewhere?

It's no secret that owner Glen Taylor wants to make the playoffs; they made it in 2018 before the Thibodeau situation exploded and they missed again in 2019. How would you right the ship?
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Re: I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#2 » by Woody Allen » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:17 pm

They should lobby with the league for another Allan Houston Rule.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,704

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:28 pm

Wiggins/11 for Batum is going to be my position until it happens. Or maybe see if you can add a bit more value and swap him for Parsons. And if I had to add a future unprotected 1st I'm doing that. The clock is already ticking on Towns and you can't possibly build well enough around him without getting Wiggins's contract off the books.

Or I'm trying some kind of Wiggins/Teague for Wall/filler deal and hoping Wall comes back to reasonable form.

Or something. I've got to get off of Wiggins. Everything else is just putting lipstick on a pig.

They are in a really terrible spot even considering they have Towns. I'm afraid that one year with Butler will be a tiny blip of success in 20 years of post-KG futility. Move Wiggins. Pay the price. Learn the lesson of what giving big money to Dieng and Wiggins did to your ability to compete around your star.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#4 » by Pinkyring » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:39 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Wiggins/11 for Batum is going to be my position until it happens. Or maybe see if you can add a bit more value and swap him for Parsons. And if I had to add a future unprotected 1st I'm doing that. The clock is already ticking on Towns and you can't possibly build well enough around him without getting Wiggins's contract off the books.

Or I'm trying some kind of Wiggins/Teague for Wall/filler deal and hoping Wall comes back to reasonable form.

Or something. I've got to get off of Wiggins. Everything else is just putting lipstick on a pig.

They are in a really terrible spot even considering they have Towns. I'm afraid that one year with Butler will be a tiny blip of success in 20 years of post-KG futility. Move Wiggins. Pay the price. Learn the lesson of what giving big money to Dieng and Wiggins did to your ability to compete around your star.

Wiggins is only 24 so i wouldn't sell low on his yet, even if they could dump him for cap, guys aren't lined up to play in minny with towns who is perceived to be lazy and unmotivated. That said, imo wiggins sucks but i guarantee there is a gm or 2 that thinks its the system and he may need a fresh start and i cant blame them as plenty players florished after fresh starts.

Minny is in a tough position as i dont think they can tank since they been bad like 10 yrs in a row minus the 1 full butler season, but the roster is just all wrong. If i took the reigns of this team i wouldn't even know where to start
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:43 pm

If Walker leaves Charlotte, I would offer Teague + Wiggins + 2020 1st for Batum + M. Williams + Parker

Jones/Parker
Batum/Okogie
Covington/#11
Saric/Williams
Towns/Dieng
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#6 » by giberish » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Wiggins/11 for Batum is going to be my position until it happens. Or maybe see if you can add a bit more value and swap him for Parsons. And if I had to add a future unprotected 1st I'm doing that. The clock is already ticking on Towns and you can't possibly build well enough around him without getting Wiggins's contract off the books.

I don't think you need to add a lotto pick to move Wiggins for Batum or some other 1/2 year bad deal. There will still be a couple of teams thinking they can develop more (as seen on several trade threads on this board). So I think you can dump Wiggins for contracts that are off the books by 2021. That would be the summer to really make a move forward.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#7 » by bulliedog8 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:49 pm

Wolves lucked out with Towns not making an all NBA team. Save a good amount of money over his 5 years.

I would do nearly anything I can to get out of wiggins contract to build around KAT in his last 2-3 years to convince him to stay.

This is all with the assumption that the other team accepts my offers.

Wolves: Fournier, Mozgov, and unprotected 2nd
Magic: Wiggins and #11 this year.

Wolves shouldn't be giving up cheap locked in rookie deals, but you gotta get off Wiggins. This would give you 2 years to go all in to keep Towns. Only sign 1-2 year team option type deals until that 2021 offseason where you could have like 50-60 mil in cap.

After that, I am not sure what to do for them. Not sure if they'd make the playoffs in the next 2-3 years unless everyone (covington) is healthy.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#8 » by E S V L » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:53 pm

Conley with Towns would be deadly. Do you have guys any agreed offer for Teague?
FK NFL
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#9 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 8:08 pm

E S V L wrote:Conley with Towns would be deadly. Do you have guys any agreed offer for Teague?

Teague + Wiggins + 2020 1st for Conley + Anderson is another swap that might have some legs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 8:25 pm

I'd attach my pick to Dieng and Teague for Conley. I'd make Wiggins a sixth man. I don't understand bubble teams retaining their picks at the expense of a genuine upgrade while they're on the clock.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#11 » by Woody Allen » Mon Jun 3, 2019 8:38 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
E S V L wrote:Conley with Towns would be deadly. Do you have guys any agreed offer for Teague?

Teague + Wiggins + 2020 1st for Conley + Anderson is another swap that might have some legs.

Bruh. Why would Memphis do that. They lose basketball-wise and cap-wise.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#12 » by giberish » Mon Jun 3, 2019 9:09 pm

It seems in about 2/3 of the Wiggins threads here he's considered massively toxic with really no chance for Minny to move off from him. In the other 1/3 he's considered at least partially fixable and worth taking an chance on. I believe the NBA is about like that - 20 or so teams want absolutely nothing to do with Wiggins on his current deal at all, but the other 10 or so would take him on for short-term unwanted filler contracts. I'd be surprised if he were actually dealt just because Minny's owner is higher on Wiggins then the rest of the league - not because there's no market for him.

Since this is about what Minny should do, I'd look to find a team willing to deal for Wiggns. I'm using Charlotte here as it's the simplest move, a low-end return value (no EC's, all 2-year money) and Charlotte does need more perimeter offense-creation which makes them more likely to have Wiggins interest.

Overall, the plan would be to go into the summer of 2021 in the best shape possible. Dieng would be off the books, and I think Wiggins can be moved for 2021 contracts as well. You'd have Towns and Covington on bargains deals, plus a couple rookie contract guys. Saric might be resigned next summer, as long as it's a good deal. Ideally contracts signed this summer are 2+1, with team options for the 3rd year so players can be kept if good value or let go otherwise.

Trade:
Wiggins for Batum

Draft: Clarke

FA: Seth Curry + Tyus Jones, both for around 3/$21 with 3rd year TO.

Fill out with a couple min salary guys.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 9:31 pm

I agree, they absolutely have to get rid of Wiggins. I think New Orleans would actually be a really interesting place for him to go.

12+Wiggins+Okogie for Hill+Moore+Wood+filler+2020 NOP 2nd
New Orleans gets some backcourt depth and a lottery pick. Everyone coming back is young, and if they can't get Wiggins on track it's not a huge deal since they'll be developing so many young players anyway. For Minnesota, Moore is a useful sniper, Hill isn't good but can still play some minutes, and Wood looked really interesting in New Orleans and could be a really nice bench big to spell Towns (since he can still hit some threes, rebound, and block shots).

They should also turn Saric into an asset they can use. Since they are moving a first round pick, perhaps they want to grab a later first? Saric for Patterson+21. OKC gets a starting caliber big that can pass and shoot. Adams/Grant/Saric as a 3 big rotation seems pretty perfect to compliment Westbrook and George. Minnesota still comes away from the offseason with a pick. Boston and Utah are also places that make sense for a Saric trade; Boston because they have so many picks, Utah because Saric would be a nice starting 4 for them without using up all their cap space.

Towns/Wood/???
???/???/???
Covington/Hill/KBD
Moore/???/???
Teague/???/???

I'd probably keep Jones and Gibson on two-year contracts. I don't think I'd keep Rose b/c they don't have his bird rights and they'll need to use their MLE on a power forward. I'd use the MLE on JaMychal Green, two years if possible, but be willing to go longer. I'd also try to retain Toliver. With the pick I'd grab a wing, we will just say Keldon Johnson for argument's sake. Then use the minimum on some parts bin wing. Stauskas would fit the bill pretty well.

Towns/Dieng/Wood
Green/Gibson/Tolliver
Covington/Hill/KBD
Moore/Johnson/Stauskas
Teague/Jones

I think this team is a bit better than the 18-19 Wolves, but is still racing for the 8th seed. One more MLE player the next offseason and some luck with drafting and they'll be right back in the playoffs in time to have a ton of cap space the next offseason.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 9:37 pm

Also, can we do the Pelicans next?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,704

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jun 3, 2019 9:39 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Also, can we do the Pelicans next?

loserX has been trying to avoid AD like the plague :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you should create it for him? I know he wouldn't mind.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,936

Post#16 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Jun 3, 2019 10:01 pm

I would challenge Wiggins to a sixth man spot. Hopefully that'd motivate him? When he turns on his intensity he isn't a bad player. I don't think i would waste valuable assets trying to dump him though.

I would probably try and trade Teague+ for Conley, or worst case scenario CP3.

Then I would offer the MLE to JaMychal Green as mentioned earlier. Bring Taj back with Bird years as well. Roll out a lineup of Conley(or Paul)/Okogie/RoCo/Green/KAT with Tyus, Wiggins, and Gibson as the major minutes getters of the backups and go bargain shopping. (Probably lose Saric in a Conley deal or Dieng in a CP3 deal)

I would also try and snag RHJ away from the Nets and try to get him for cheap.

End with:
Conley(or Paul)/Tyus/FA
Okogie/Wiggins/FA
RoCo/11? Little?/KBD
Green/Taj/RHJ
KAT/Saric or Dieng/FA
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#17 » by E S V L » Mon Jun 3, 2019 10:04 pm

Memphis may accept Djeng as a bad contact with some compensation attached but won’t accept neither Teague nor Wiggins as a neutral/positive asset.
FK NFL
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#18 » by Klomp » Mon Jun 3, 2019 11:27 pm

I personally believe that we need to take a longer view with this roster. Everyone's worried about trading Wiggins or Dieng for shorter contracts, but I'd like to go the other way. I'm looking to trade guys like Teague and Saric for guys on longer deals but packaged with prospects or picks.

So many people are saying we need to quick fix to get to the playoffs to keep Towns happy, but I don't think we're close to that being a concern. He's starting a 5-year fully-guaranteed deal. This isn't close to a Davis situation yet, who has 1+1 years left. That's where the Love contract was at too before we dealt him. Towns has 5 years before he can get out of his contract, not 1. That gives us a little extra time to build this thing the proper way.

I have a lot of faith in the ability of Gersson Rosas, Sachin Gupta and Gianluca Pascucci to build the dream, so I'm willing to be patient.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#19 » by Prospect Dong » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:06 am

Bentley1225 wrote:

oof. Come on buddy...

Conley's available, but he's valued as a positive asset. Memphis is the sort of place that might find a home for Wiggins, provided he's valued as a fairly strongly negative asset. So the framework is there, but the filler doesn't go any sort of way to closing the gap.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#20 » by gom » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:45 am

Thoughts about this trade?

Wiggins + #10 + MIN FRP 2021 (top 5 protected, becoming unprotected in 2022) for Waiters + Ryan Anderson

Andrew Wiggins's contract:

2019-20: $27,504,630
2020-21: $29,542,010
2021-22: $31,579,390
2022-23: $33,616,770

Total: $122,242,800

Dion Waiters:

2019-20: $12,100,000
2020-21: $12,650,000

Ryan Anderson:

$15,643,750 (if waived before 7/10/2019)

Total: $40,393,750

This is a difference of almost $80M. Two FRP seems very reasonable. Miami needs a FRP in 2021 since theirs belongs to the Clippers.

http://tradenba.com/trades/BytQcDQ04

It's not a tank move for Miami either. Ryan Anderson will be waived no matter what. Wiggins takes over for Waiters. It does take Miami out of the 2020 free agency (maybe even 2021's), which I can't see Heat fans being very happy about.

I suggested something like this on the Heat forum and didn't find much support, so maybe it's fair? ;-)
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^

Return to Trades and Transactions