I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: Washington Wizards

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: Washington Wizards 

Post#1 » by loserX » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:14 pm

We've had some success and interest in these threads in the past, so figured we'd revive them for this year's lottery teams to start!

How would you handle the Washington Wizards' offseason?

Front office changes, June draft, July free agency, and trades throughout...it's all on the table!

Current salary:
John Wall.............37,800,000.....40,824,000.....43,848,000.....46,872,000 (PO)
Bradley Beal..........27,093,019.....28,751,775
Jabari Parker.........20,000,000 (TO)
Ian Mahinmi..........15,450,051
Dwight Howard...... 5,603,850
Troy Brown............ 3,219,480.....3,372,840 (TO).....5,170,564 (TO)

Free agents: Trevor Ariza, Tomas Satoransky, Sam Dekker, Bobby Portis, Jeff Green, Thomas Bryant, Chasson Randle
Total of above for 2019-20: $109,166,400
2019 projected cap: $109,000,000

That leaves the Wizards with no cap room, but Jabari's TO can be declined to open up almost $20M. The 9th pick will count for about $4.46M if paid 120% of scale, which almost everyone does. There are also roster spots to fill.

Draft
The Wizards have the #9 pick in 2019.

They have all their own future first rounders, but no second rounders until 2023 (!).

Some possible questions to consider:
1) Who's the Boss?: The Wizards finally ended the Ernie Grunfeld era last season, to the elation of much of the fanbase. So far the replacement search has been fairly quiet, apart from being turned down by first choice Tim Connelly. There may be a lot of big decisions coming the next few years in Washington; who should be running the show? (And don't just hire yourself ;) )
2) Their Backs to the Wall: Obviously one of the most contentious issues is what to do (if anything) about John Wall. He is about to kick off a mammoth extension, almost 40% of the cap for one guy...on the injured list, likely into the new year. Should they try to get out now? If they won't (or can't), how does that affect other team-building decisions they make in the meantime?
3) Don't Stop Beal Leavin'?: And what about Wall's backcourt mate, hot ticket Brad Beal? Should they shop him for a prime rebuilding package and start over? Keep him, at least for the time being, and let him be the face of the franchise for an audience that's already had enough to complain about?
4) Mystery Roster-y: if Jabari's TO is declined, the Wizards will have exactly five players under contract (plus one pick): one of them is injured and two of them are useless. The team can't run out Beal, Brown and Wall's injury report for 82 games; how do they put together the rest of a team?

The Wizards' 2018-19 season left a bad taste in almost everyone's mouth; how would you start to turn the page?
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Re: I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: Washington Wizards 

Post#2 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:25 pm

Man.. These guys are staring at an extremely long and unpleasant rebuild. They lack young guys and assets and are stuck with that horrid Wall Contract.

I'd trade him to ATL. My ask is #8, #10, Huerter. IF ATL turns that down, they can keep Huerter and ill take their own future 1st.

This restocks them with some assets. #8, #9. #10 all this year. Resign Bryant and Portis. Decline the option on Parker. Wait a year for Dwight, Mahimi to expire.

Try to bottom out as hard as I can. Go into next year with a good draft pick, the ATL pick, #8, #9, #10, Brown, Bryant, Portis, and Wall.

I really don't see any other options
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#3 » by TheProfessor » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:28 pm

The smart thing would be too trade Beal for assets and ride out Wall's contract. No Gm in the nba can can make a team competitive with a 40% handicap. Wall was not even good when he was healthy this year, let alone coming back from a serious injury. Trade beal, and then ride out Wall's contract maybe some one take's him as a massive expiring in a few years :banghead:. If Beal leaves, you are looking at a 15 win team with or without wall.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,336

Post#4 » by drosestruts » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:45 pm

I think one of the interesting things with the Wizards is that they do have young talent - Beal is still only 25 years old (will be 26 by the time the season starts). Bryant is 21. Whoever they pick at #9 will presumably be 20 years or younger.

If you trade Beal away I feel like you can end up in a situation like the Bulls where you trade Butler for young assets and then in 3 years, wish you just had Butler because no one you've got for him or in subsequent drafts seems like they'll ever be any better.

At some point, Wall will be tradeable and depending on how he looks after he eventually returns, that value could range from a huge expiring contract to a huge expiring contract that's also a good point guard.

Going to take some time thinking about this one - but I don't think they move is automatically "trade Beal and rebuild".
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#5 » by giberish » Fri Jun 7, 2019 9:04 pm

That's not a lot of young talent. The total under-25 part is Brown and RFA rights to Bradley. And I think the Bulls would prefer to have Lauir and Lavine vs Butler leaving as a FA looking for a better run team this summer.

The catch is figuring out the best plausible Beal offer. I figure the main competition is whichever 2 of LAL/NYK/BOS don't trade for Davis.

From the Knicks I'm very meh on Smith/Knox. I figure they'll really want to keep Robinson. I kind of like Barrett and they can offer some Dallas future picks with some value.
From the Lakers their key parts seem low on shooting. Ball's a poor shooter, Ingram's not that good, and the higher upside #4 options have shooting questions.
From Boston, do they give up Tatum + Memphis 1st - if so that's an easy yes, but if so they probably got Davis with the deal. A Brown + Memphis 1st based deal is possible, but if Hayward is the filler then it gets salary tight for the next 2 years for Washington.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,336

Post#6 » by drosestruts » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 am

Just to go a non-trade Beal route, I looked wanted to think about what the expiring contracts of Ian Mahinmi and Dwight Howard could possibly bring in. With the Wizards looking locked into this current team, I don't think they should be afraid to take on some salary, looking around and who is looking to dump future salary however paints a not so great picture.

Charlotte - Batum
Cleveland - Love? (I don't think they're trying to dump him)
Minnesota - Wiggins

I really can't think of anyone else. Two of those players are up there in age, there is one though who gets dragged a lot on here and twitter and who certainly hasn't lived up to expectation, this, of course, being Andrew Wiggins.

Making a trade centered around Howard and Mahinmi for Wiggins is the type of move that gets you fired if it doesn't work out. But the Wizards don't really have a lot of options. If they could get:

Wiggins, Saric and Bates-Diop for Howard, Mahinmi and Brown Jr (I know Washington fans like him but it's necessary for salary purposes) the Wizards add 3 additional under 25 players to their core.

Re-sign Satoransky, Bryant, and Portis (to deals no longer then Wall's if possible)

Draft Cam Reddish

Satoransky/
Beal/
Wiggins/Reddish
Saric/Portis
Bryant/

It's not pretty but maybe a change of scenery helps Wiggins. Maybe they develop Reddish. Saric, Portis and Bryant have all shown promise at times.

I don't know, just trying something besides waving the white flag.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#7 » by machu46 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm

drosestruts wrote:Just to go a non-trade Beal route, I looked wanted to think about what the expiring contracts of Ian Mahinmi and Dwight Howard could possibly bring in. With the Wizards looking locked into this current team, I don't think they should be afraid to take on some salary, looking around and who is looking to dump future salary however paints a not so great picture.

Charlotte - Batum
Minnesota - Wiggins

I really can't think of anyone else. Two of those players are up there in age, there is one though who gets dragged a lot on here and twitter and who certainly hasn't lived up to expectation, this, of course, being Andrew Wiggins.

Making a trade centered around Howard and Mahinmi for Wiggins is the type of move that gets you fired if it doesn't work out. But the Wizards don't really have a lot of options. If they could get:

Wiggins, Saric and Bates-Diop for Howard, Mahinmi and Brown Jr (I know Washington fans like him but it's necessary for salary purposes) the Wizards add 3 additional under 25 players to their core.

Re-sign Satoransky, Bryant, and Portis (to deals no longer then Wall's if possible)

Draft Cam Reddish

Satoransky/
Beal/
Wiggins/Reddish
Saric/Portis
Bryant/

It's not pretty but maybe a change of scenery helps Wiggins. Maybe they develop Reddish. Saric, Portis and Bryant have all shown promise at times.

I'm not sure if I'd want to trade the expiring contracts to take on more salary, but for the right player, I think it might be a good idea. I don't really think any of the 3 you mention above is the right guy to target though. They each make sense to a certain extent. Batum is a decent all-around player. Love is a legitimately good player, though I think his defensive woes would be a mess behind Wall/Beal. I suppose they could go for Wiggins and just hope it clicks, but I don't think he's a good fit at all with Beal/Wall (though maybe given the Wizards situation, they don't even really care about fit right now? Idk).

I think I'd probably be angling a little lower; trying to take guys that might just need a change of scenery and are either locked in long-term or at least under team-control for awhile. A couple examples off the top of my head of guys that could potentially be available depending on how the offseason goes would be TJ Warren, Norman Powell, or Larry Nance Jr.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#8 » by TGW » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Wiggins? C'mon...hell no. No one in their right mind is trading expirings for Wiggins.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#9 » by pelifan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 pm

If I thought Beal was staying beyond his contract I wouldnt trade him. I dont though, so I think you got trade him now while so many teams are in flux and hes got more than a year on his contract. I'd go for the runner up for AD.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#10 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:56 pm

1) Dont trade Beal unless for an Overpay. Someone needs to explain to me why trading him is a good idea...Seriously. He puts buts in the seats/cash in the owners pocket. He is the perfect player you'd want given his age, skill-set, work ethic, demeanor, etc.

And look at the market... including AD, there are about 5 players that are better than Beal available this summer. Next summer is a BRUTAL FA market.... headlined by Barnes, Whiteside, a 34 y/o Lowry, and a 30 y/o Draymond Green.... AWFUL
So while any team trading for him gets one less year, he would be the premium asset available for a year and half starting from Day 1 of the 19/20 season until the deadline of the 2021 season.

2) DO NOT pay to trade Wall. You only pay to move bad contracts if you have big FA aspirations and need the money (See Nets)..or are in the tax/repeater and not competing. The Wiz are in neither scenario, plus the Wall contract could very well be movable after next season. There are a number of teams that are over the cap and might be willing to take on Wall assuming he shows to be healthy. Lakers, Heat, Suns, etc. are all teams I could see losing patience in the next 18 months

Outside of those 2 parameters, I'm open to whatever they choose to do
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#11 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm

drosestruts wrote:Just to go a non-trade Beal route, I looked wanted to think about what the expiring contracts of Ian Mahinmi and Dwight Howard could possibly bring in. With the Wizards looking locked into this current team, I don't think they should be afraid to take on some salary, looking around and who is looking to dump future salary however paints a not so great picture.

Charlotte - Batum
Minnesota - Wiggins

Draft Cam Reddish

Satoransky/
Beal/
Wiggins/Reddish
Saric/Portis
Bryant/

Um why would any team trade for Wiggins or Batum without getting SIGNIFICANT incentive in return? Yet you have the Wizards giving up their only recent pick to get Wiggins?

Wall & Wiggins on the same roster? Why do you hate the Wizards?
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:20 pm

pcbothwel wrote:1) Dont trade Beal unless for an Overpay. Someone needs to explain to me why trading him is a good idea...Seriously. He puts buts in the seats/cash in the owners pocket. He is the perfect player you'd want given his age, skill-set, work ethic, demeanor, etc.

And look at the market... including AD, there are about 5 players that are better than Beal available this summer. Next summer is a BRUTAL FA market.... headlined by Barnes, Whiteside, a 34 y/o Lowry, and a 30 y/o Draymond Green.... AWFUL
So while any team trading for him gets one less year, he would be the premium asset available for a year and half starting from Day 1 of the 19/20 season until the deadline of the 2021 season.

2) DO NOT pay to trade Wall. You only pay to move bad contracts if you have big FA aspirations and need the money (See Nets)..or are in the tax/repeater and not competing. The Wiz are in neither scenario, plus the Wall contract could very well be movable after next season. There are a number of teams that are over the cap and might be willing to take on Wall assuming he shows to be healthy. Lakers, Heat, Suns, etc. are all teams I could see losing patience in the next 18 months

Outside of those 2 parameters, I'm open to whatever they choose to do

Right panic trades solve nothing. The Wizards situation requires thoughtful planning and a culture reboot. Wall & Beal may be dealt, but no matter what the Wizards weren't competing for title next year and Beal is not asking to be traded. There's no reason to rush into a bad deal.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#13 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Take Brandon Clarke at 9

Two year deal for Bryant
4 year deal for Satoransky

Sato
Beal
Brown
Clarke
Bryant

Maybe that’s a 35 win team if Beal continues his great play
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#14 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:39 pm

1. Beal to Lakers for #4, Kuzma, 2021 1st. Get a traded player expemtion as well
2. Deal Kuzma to Charlotte for #12 + part of Dwight Howard trade exemption
2. Use trade exemption from Beal deal to take back Schroder/#21 for a protected 2nd. Schroder can start while Wall is out which is a situation that could increase his trade value between trade deadline and 2020 off-season
3. Trade Dwight Howard to Sacramento for #47

Schroder/Randle?/Wall
Satoransky/#9/McRae?
#4/Brown/#47
Portis/Dekker?/#21
Bryant/#12/Mahinmi
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 383

Post#15 » by pad300 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:44 pm

drosestruts wrote:...

They are all RFA.
Bryant and Sato could both attract 4 year full MLE offers... Do you match something that long?
If I squint, I could see someone offering Portis the full MLE for 4 years ( he did hit 75 of 191 from 3 last year, 39.3%)... Again would you match?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:1. Beal to Lakers for #4, Kuzma, 2021 1st. Get a traded player expemtion as well
2. Use trade exemption from Beal deal to take back Schroder/#21 for a protected 2nd. Schroder can start while Wall is out which is a situation that could increase his trade value between trade deadline and 2020 off-season

Schroder/Randle?/Wall
Satoransky/#9/McRae?
#4/Brown/#47
Portis/Dekker?/#21
Bryant/#12/Mahinmi

I wont argue the Beal trade, not ideal, but value isnt far off... But the Schroder trade is AWFUL.
No way does the 21st pick get them a clean dump of 30M over the next two years.

The nuggets traded away their 2019 1st & 2020 2nd to dump 20M worth of expiring... You have to beat that offer to move 50% more money with an additional year. Plus Schroder is just a terrible player while Faried had an actual role.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:15 pm

pad300 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:...

They are all RFA.
Bryant and Sato could both attract 4 year full MLE offers... Do you match something that long?
If I squint, I could see someone offering Portis the full MLE for 4 years ( he did hit 75 of 191 from 3 last year, 39.3%)... Again would you match?

Portis comes back for QO or very cheap...or not at all
Sato very well might get full MLE, and we would/should match.
I have a hard time believing Bryant gets that much. There are 4 legit Center prospects in the draft (Goga, Hayes, Bol, Fernando), along with another 2-3 decent prospects (Kabengele, Gafford, Claxton).
You then have a FLOODED Fa market with Vuc, DeAndre, Bryant, WCS, Cousins, Noel, Dedmon, Zubac, Kanter, Holmes, Ed Davis, Vonleh, and Portis.

I see a 2-3 year deal for 5-7M per... and we would match.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,769

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:16 pm

I'd look to move Beal, probably to the Lakers for some package that includes Lonzo + #4 + More... Lonzo and Wall won't work, but at this point that doesn't matter - you get Lonzo and see if he can be your PG of the future (and figure out the Wall situation later) and you use the #4 to hopefully draft a building block for years to come.

The worst thing the Wizards could do this offseason would be to hang onto Beal and delay the inevitable...
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#19 » by drosereturn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Package Wall with Beal for nothing and recruit 2 max agents.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#20 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:1. Beal to Lakers for #4, Kuzma, 2021 1st. Get a traded player expemtion as well

Schroder/Randle?/Wall
Satoransky/#9/McRae?
#4/Brown/#47
Portis/Dekker?/#21
Bryant/#12/Mahinmi

Beal for Kuz, the 4th and a future late first gets the Lakers hung up on.

Return to Trades and Transactions