I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: New York Knicks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: New York Knicks 

Post#1 » by loserX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 pm

We've had some success and interest in these threads in the past, so figured we'd revive them for this year's lottery teams to start!

How would you handle the New York Knicks' offseason?

Front office changes, June draft, July free agency, and trades throughout...it's all on the table!

Current salary:
Lance Thomas....... 7,583,975 ($1M guaranteed)
Frank Ntilikina....... 4,855.800.....6,176,578 (TO)
Dennis Smith Jr...... 4,463,640.....5,686,677 (TO)
Kevin Knox........... 4,380,120.....4,588,680 (TO).....5,845,978 (TO)
Allonzo Trier......... 3,551,100 (TO)
Mitch Robinson..... 1,559,712.....1,663,861 (ung)....1,802,057 (TO)
Damyean Dotson.... 1,618,520 (ung)
Henry Ellson......... 1,645,357 (TO)
Joakim Noah*....... 6,431,666.....6,431,666.....6,431,666

*Joakim Noahs salary is "dead money": it counts against the cap but cannot be traded or otherwise removed.

Free agents: `DeAndre Jordan, Mario Hezonja, Emmanuel Mudiay, Noah Vonleh, Luke Kornet
Total of above for 2019-20: $36,089,890
2019 projected cap: $109,000,000

That leaves the Knicks with a whopping $72.91M cap room. The 3rd pick will count for about $7.83M if paid 120% of scale, which almost everyone does. There are also roster spots to fill.

Draft
The Knicks have the #3 pick in 2019, and #55 in the second round.

The Knicks own all their own future 1st rounders and have 2021 and 2023 picks incoming from Dallas. There is some movement in future 2nds but they still end up with one in each year going forward.

Some possible questions to consider:
1) Knick of Time: the team looks to be in a pretty good position as they head into the offseason. Of all the teams chasing stars, New York has the most capspace, the highest individual pick, and the most 1st rounders to offer. Yet clouds have settled on the horizon: KD suffered a devastating long-term injury. Kyrie is getting a lot of attention from Brooklyn. Kemba has publicly said he'll take less to stay. Reports have New York and New Orleans struggling to assemble an AD offer that works for both sides. How aggressive should the Knicks be in a landscape where they could run the table or just as easily come up empty?
2) Player Options: what happens if the Knicks *do* come up with only one, or none, of their splashy targets? The youngsters on the team have some varying levels of promise, but promise doesn't win games. Should the Knicks pursue signings and/or trades of lower-level players to fill out the roster? Sell capspace to other teams? The latter plan is viable but would be pretty frustrating for fans given how things *could* have gone.

The Knicks' offseason started out exciting but gets more complicated with every passing day. How would you navigate it?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,777

Re: I Know What They Should Do This Summer 2019: New York Knicks 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:19 pm

I got nothing.

This is one of the trickiest ones. I mean my instinct says trade for AD if the deal is even remotely reasonable, push really hard for one more guy and then fall back on options like a one year return of Gallo or the like if you fail. AD seems to be telling them he'd stay long-term so worth going for him even if free agency doesn't pan out.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,106

Post#3 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm

I say sign KG and Klay. Tank for a year, then come in strong in 2.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#4 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 pm

This is by miles the best answer. Simple and perfect. Throw max money at both of them and cross your fingers. Add another top 3 talent in 2020 and murder the league in 2020/21.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:48 pm

1) I think the Knicks are going to have to wait to use their cap space
2) They should sell cap space if they can, even for two years; build slow, almost everyone important will be on a rookie contract in 2021
3) I'd trade Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilinka if value can be found

Trade 1:
Phoenix trades: 32, 2020 MIL 1st (protected 1-7, unprotected), 2020 PHX 2nd
New York trades: Dennis Smith Jr., Frank Ntilinka
Phoenix takes some shots on finding their long-term solution at point guard. New York gets some players/picks that can be trade assets, or whose contracts will extend further in the future than DSJ and Frank.

Trade 2:
Portland trades: Evan Turner, Meyers Leonard, 25, 2021 POR 2nd
New York trades: nada
Portland moves salaries to retain Hood and Kanter. New York gets a pick, and Leonard should be a useful player for them (Turner is also worth some minutes).

Trade 3:
New York trades: 56
Detroit trades: cash
Detroit is lacking for assets, and with three decent picks, I'm not sure New York wants to make this one.

Draft:
3: RJ Barrett
25: Matisse Thybulle
32: Jontay Porter

Free Agency (bunch of 1 yr stop-gaps):
Ish Smith
Shelvin Mack
JaVale McGee
Dragen Bender
Jonathan Simmons
Stanley Johnson
Luke Kornet

Mitchell Robinson/JaVale McGee/Jontay Porter (rehabbing?)
Kevin Knox/Luke Kornet/Dragen Bender
RJ Barrett/Evan Turner/Stanley Johnson
Allonzo Trier/Matisse Thybulle/Jonathan Simmons
Ish Smith/Damyean Dotson/Shelvin Mack

Draft picks
2020 1st: NYK, MIL
2020 2nd: CHA, PHX
2021 1st: NYK, DAL
2021 2nd: POR
2022 1st: NYK
2022 2nd: NYK
2023 1st: DAL, NYK
2023 2nd: NYK

I know punting it is going to be unpopular, especially since it's likely for two offseasons, but by then, they should have a great young core and a compelling pitch to free agents. If they strike out on free agents, they'll have built a good team. If they don't ... watch out?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#6 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Draft RJ Barrett #3
Sign Tobias Harris 4/90
Sign Thaddeus Young 1/20
Sign Enes Kanter 1/10

DSJ/Ntilinka
RJ/Trier/Dotson
Harris/Knox
Young/Thomas
Robinson/Kanter

Assuming:
KD + Klay = 5/yr Max w/ GSW
AD traded to LAL for #4/Kuzma/BI/Ball
KI signs with Brooklyn
Butler signs 5/yr max w/Philly
Kemba signs 5/yr max w/Charlotte

With missing out on AD they take the best player they can in the draft both as a future trade piece as well as potentially to be a part of the future of the franchise in RJ Barrett.

With their primary targets resigning with their current teams they still get one of the top FA this year and under the max. They fill out their needs at PF and back-up center with 1 year deals to capable though not great players that let them remain flexible for FA in 2020 to try and recruit AD away from the Lakers after they struggle again.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#7 » by Rockazoids » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Not blow my wad on AD,stay the course with the youngins & most definitely wouldn't trade Frank & DJS for some late 1st & 2nd.
If I see someone early in the 2nd I would send the late 2nd I have and cash for it.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:52 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

This is by miles the best answer. Simple and perfect. Throw max money at both of them and cross your fingers. Add another top 3 talent in 2020 and murder the league in 2020/21.

If that's their play they are SOL.
Neither esp KD will be the same player after these injuries. Shadows of their former selves.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#9 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Man Knicks are in a tough spot. Draft Barret. Cut Lance Thomas for more cap. I would give Kemba the max and try to sign Butler or Tobias for just under the max. I don't see the other stars going there now. Hit up the Wizards to see the asking price for Beal but to no avail. Grab a forward like Rudy Gay or Milsap with the left over money . Kemba/Butler/Barret trio should be playoff bound.

They have a bunch of young guys that can come off the bench and give them a spark. I really like those young guys, they just need some time to develop. Robinson looks like he will be a solid starting center for years. Dotson and Trier can get buckets off the bench even though they're kind of the same player. DSJ, Ntilikina and Knox needs to step it up after being drafted high.

Kemba/ DSJ
Barret/ Ntilikina/ Trier/ Dotson
Butler/ Knox
Milsap/ Vonleh
Robinson/ ??

I would bet some money that this team can sniff the playoffs. But if no star comes to NY then I would just keep drafting well and try to grab some young players that haven't got much playing time around the league. Like what the Nets did with Dinwiddie, Harris etc..
Give those guys as much minutes as they need and let them develop. Even if Knicks suck bad next year at least they will have a top pick to look forward to plus extra picks from Dallas. Sign solid veterans that will teach the young bucks the game. If no stars come now then just go through the full rebuilding stage, pretty much have no choice because next year free agency sucks. Trade with teams that will give up their 1st round picks to get rid of salary, like the Thunders and Portland just to acquire more picks.

DO NOT BLOW CAP SPACE ON MEDIOCRE PLAYERS !!!
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#10 » by Blockwatcher » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Draft BPA
Go after Klay & Durant. (If they don’t come)
Force the Nets hands and make offers to DRus and RHJ (if nets match)
Absorb contracts for future picks
1 John 2 : 15-17
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Post#11 » by NYG » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 am

Honestly, I draft Barrett, MAX KD, sit him out and tank again then revisit next year.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#12 » by taikibansei » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:24 am

If they can get Butler and Kemba--don't want Kyrie and KD is not coming--then I might consider trading major assets for AD. If getting both Butler and Kemba--just one doesn't get us into the playoffs--is not an option...I think holding pat (and tanking hard) may be our best option for next season. Maxing Butler alone to play on a non-playoff team in NYC just shouts disaster to me, and I don't trust AD enough to trade everything for him without a strong playoff-ready team already in place.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!

Return to Trades and Transactions