Woj: AD to LA for 3 1sts, Ingram, Ball, Hart

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who won the trade?

Lakers by a lot
15%
Lakers by a little
10%
Both
30%
Pelicans by a little
13%
Pelicans by a lot
22%
Need to see the draft protections
9%
Other (explain?)
1%

Total votes: 148

alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Re: Woj: AD to LA for 3 1sts, Ingram, Ball, Hart 

Post#161 » by alessandrux » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:09 am

Probably a win-win. Even if the picks turn out to not be that good, they are still valuable. They should definitely help the Pelicans to add good (role)players to surround Zion.

What probably does not happen (but should) is that Davis would probably benefit a lot from switching teams next off-season. I assume there will be plenty of destinations that are more promising than the Lakers.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,601

Post#162 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 am

Karmaloop wrote:
TGW wrote:Link to this supposed nonsense?

To the Lakers' young guys being garbage? Take your head out of the sand.

Posts like this clearly aren't allowed.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#163 » by Zion Wembanyama » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am

Prospect Dong wrote:
Super Powered wrote:Damn... I'm numb.

You can't have been expecting much more than this... All that "an all-star, and a future all-star and some picks" stuff was never going to happen. This is a great price.

No, I was numb because he was traded.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#164 » by Laimbeer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 pm

The Pelicans will receive a haul that includes the #4 pick in the 2019 draft, a top-8 protected pick in 2021 that becomes unprotected in 2022, an unprotected swap in 2023, an unprotected first-round pick in 2024, and an unprotected swap in 2025.

I'd say the Pels win was clear. They're dealing with a guy who has one year remaining and refuses to consider re-signing. The C's had withheld Tatum and the Knicks didn't have quite the stable of good young players.

I'm one of the few here who like Lonzo. He'd be fun with Zion. I'd trade Jrue. The future here is bright, can't see sacrificing young assets for a first round playoff bounce.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#165 » by Soulyss » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ejftw wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh me oh my
I really hope she's playing the expectations game here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I doubt she is... It's not quite Billy King if it's true, but it's damn close. If this is true it shows the difference between an amature being in charge (Pelinka) and a Pro (Griffin).
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,162

Post#166 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Sounds like we still need some clarity on the picks. The point here is that if the initial clarifications are true, the later picks and swaps would represent a lot more trade value than anyone was discussing in a potential LA package. When we were discussing Lonzo, Ingram, 4 there were some Lakers fans who didn’t think all three would be included. And as of now all 3, Hart, the two picks and two pick swaps are a ton more in value.

LA might still be good by then, or they might be giving up top lotto picks ala Brooklyn. But to HWs earlier point, if a max FA comes in for a long term deal the risk is lessened. And it looks like the Pels will play ball on waiting to make the trade official so that could happen.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#167 » by Soulyss » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:If there's one thing we've learned, it's that a trade sending out unprotected picks years in the future is exactly as valuable as a trade not sending them out. Personally, I just stop reading when I see the words "future 1sts".

This trade might work out great for the lakers. It might well be a reasonable gamble. What's not really on the table, though, is "you all got the value so wrong because you said a package that excluded half the actual trade package wasn't enough for Davis!". We now have pretty good evidence that #4, Ball+Ingram wasn't enough, you seem to be arguing as if you just proved the reverse.

Picks are only as valuable as long as the franchise they're coming from is in jeopardy of being really bad. We still have an ENTIRE offseason to go in which the Lakers have max cap space to play with. If the Lakers sign Kyrie Irving or Kawhi Leonard, does anyone think the Lakers give a damn about a pick in 2025? Hell no. Especially if that ends up with the Lakers winning a championship. LIS, this board (as a whole) ridiculously overrates draft picks. There's a handful of players in the NBA that can alter the landscape in the NBA.

However Davis has been historically a little fragile, and if it's 7 years of control this is well outside Lebron's window... The back half of this deal COULD be brutal for the Lakers.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#168 » by j-ragg » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:How much of a lose lose is the Deng stretch? He gave up 7.5 million (WHOOPS), and Lakers now have to eat crucial 5 million the next two years instead of dumping the expiring on Pelicans.

I didn't even think about that. It's useful to have salaries that aren't stars or rookie scale deals on your books I guess.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,939

Post#169 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Vae Victus wrote:We don't talk like that here. -Mamba

You know better. Don't use that kinda language on the board.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,104

Post#170 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:12 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:How much of a lose lose is the Deng stretch? He gave up 7.5 million (WHOOPS), and Lakers now have to eat crucial 5 million the next two years instead of dumping the expiring on Pelicans.

I didn't even think about that. It's useful to have salaries that aren't stars or rookie scale deals on your books I guess.

And if LA gets another max salary guy, they may be in a tougher spot actually. At that point, if they have to turn and fill a hole midseason, they won’t have an easily tradeable piece like a future 1st to deal going forward without adding other 1sts in return. And it’ll be tough for them to even match salary. If they condense into a 3rd star, they’ll have only their room exception to add a salary of any size this year and vet minimums. I think they have to hope Wagner gets good enough to either be a solid starter long term for them, or just good enough to sell off for a future 1st, even if protected.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,481

Post#171 » by Karmaloop » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Soulyss wrote:However Davis has been historically a little fragile, and if it's 7 years of control this is well outside Lebron's window... The back half of this deal COULD be brutal for the Lakers.

Or the Lakers could sign their 3rd max FA and have that trio for the next 3 years, and Anthony Davis and 3rd max FA for the rest of the decade. Yeah, I'm okay with the risk involved.
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#172 » by Smirk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Seems like a lot of people outside of NOLA aren’t aware of the protections.

It’s reversed protected in 2021...if it’s top 8 it goes to NOLA. If not it goes to NOLA in 2022. The first HS kids draft potentially.

In 2024 the Pelicans can choose to defer the pick to 2025 at their discretion.

Pretty incredible.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#173 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Smirk wrote:Seems like a lot of people outside of NOLA aren’t aware of the protections.

It’s reversed protected in 2021...if it’s top 8 it goes to NOLA. If not it goes to NOLA in 2022. The first HS kids draft potentially.

In 2024 the Pelicans can choose to defer the pick to 2025 at their discretion.

Pretty incredible.

Do you have a good source on the protections? I’ve seen a bunch of things.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,464

Post#174 » by Slava » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Having thought a lot about the pick haul, I guess it comes down to do you want to be a conservative team that makes the playoffs and may be the 2nd round year after year or do you go all in for a player of AD's caliber and win a championship at any cost even if the future is mortgaged. There are a lot of teams that do the former and very few that do the latter.

This is not much different to Morey's offer of 4 first round picks for half a season of Jimmy Butler following an unconscionable contract to Chris Paul. If the Lakers win a single NBA championship with Davis, the trade can be rationalised as a success.

It also comes down to the Lakers looking at their previous draft picks and realising that they are better off with money to spend in free agency than drafting and developing players and all the pain that comes with it. The Warriors falling apart and giving LeBron a small window to assault the western conference might have been the second bit of motivation.

This is an interesting case study.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,111

Post#175 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I think the Pelicans did as good or better than they could have hoped. Still no sure things in that package, but enough shots at it to hopefully get a key piece or two. In a tough situation I'd be as pleased as I could be as a Pels fan.

But the Lakers are a clear and immediate winner. They have AD in place ahead of FA upping their chances to bring in a 3rd piece. The combination of being LA, and having high top end talent should allow them to do pretty well in the vet min free agency game.

You absolutely pay that price to try and win while Lebron still can and AD is young enough to be the next building block post-Lebron.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#176 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:46 pm

So are we pretty sure this is the accurate info on the picks? One less swap but a lot better chance of pulling top lotto picks.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

It also makes the earlier tweets true that the Pels control LAs picks through 2025.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Woj now reporting on air on espn that the trade will happen on July 6th and the Lakers will have $23.7-27.7m in cap space, depending on if AD waived his trade kicker (not considered likely at this point).
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,543

Post#178 » by jayjaysee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 pm

AD not waiving his TK would be icing to Griffin not being willing to wait.. I said both teams won the trade, but it keeps getting better for NOP.

I expected LA to dump Wagner and Bonga, get AD to waive his TK and be at 29 mil.. Then call Kemba, Kyrie, and Butler..

Was well over a coin flip IMO that one of those three would sign 2+1 in LA starting at 29.4.... Theyd lose a combined 7.5-8~ mil the first two years but be eligible for a 35% max when they opt out and be in Los Angeles with AD... Using a 30% and 5% for that sloppy estimates.

Now LA would be asking those guys to give up over 14 mil combined the first two years. They’d still be able to pitch the 35% in year 3.. But I don’t see that as a realistic chance.

I’m really shocked Rich Paul and LA couldn’t get AD to waive the trade kicker. Really hurts the team as this is their only shot to add a star.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#179 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Woj now reporting on air on espn that the trade will happen on July 6th and the Lakers will have $23.7-27.7m in cap space, depending on if AD waived his trade kicker (not considered likely at this point).

Oh man. Not ideal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm

jayjaysee wrote:AD not waiving his TK would be icing to Griffin not being willing to wait.. I said both teams won the trade, but it keeps getting better for NOP.

I expected LA to dump Wagner and Bonga, get AD to waive his TK and be at 29 mil.. Then call Kemba, Kyrie, and Butler..

Was well over a coin flip IMO that one of those three would sign 2+1 in LA starting at 29.4.... Theyd lose a combined 7.5-8~ mil the first two years but be eligible for a 35% max when they opt out and be in Los Angeles with AD... Using a 30% and 5% for that sloppy estimates.

Now LA would be asking those guys to give up over 14 mil combined the first two years. They’d still be able to pitch the 35% in year 3.. But I don’t see that as a realistic chance.

I’m really shocked Rich Paul and LA couldn’t get AD to waive the trade kicker. Really hurts the team as this is their only shot to add a star.

I don’t know that Rich paul and AD should or would care about whether or not it hurts the team or not. I think they wanted their money, and they’re liking to get it. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Rich Paul was pushing the deal to be done ASAP and sabotage the cap space a bit so that LA has some leftover and get them to immediately extend AD and up his salary this year, too. His role as an agent is to get his player the most money. Getting to LA was step one, now trade bonus and immediate extend is next most. I’m just kicking ideas around though, and I don’t have any information whatsoever towards that. :dontknow:

Return to Trades and Transactions