Raptors remodel

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Raptors remodel 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Trade 1: TOR/BOS

Toronto gets Gordon Hayward, Boston gets Marc Gasol and Norman Powell

Trade 1: TOR/OKC

Toronto gets Steven Adams, Oklahoma City gets Serge Ibaka

Raptors roster:

Kyle Lowry / Fred VanVleet
Gordon Hayward / Matt Thomas
OG Anunoby / Stanley Johnson
Pascal Siakam / Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Steven Adams / Chris Boucher

Toronto gets younger and if Hayward bounces back gives them a much needed shooting/scoring threat. Adams can be a long term piece. Hayward and Adams both expire in 2021 which allows them to go after Giannis and other FAs

Boston goes for it with Gasol (great in a matchup against Embiid) and Kemba and gets cap relief after. OKC brings back Ibaka who can they can flip for an asset later if they are dumping Westbrook for a borderline negative value contract in Adams
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Re: Raptors remodel 

Post#2 » by Troubadour » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:02 pm

I'd really want draft compensation from both OKC and Boston for getting off of those contracts a year early. I also think Hayward to Gasol and Powell is a pretty clear upgrade. To not get a pick, at least, in return is reason enough to say no.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Troubadour wrote:I'd really want draft compensation from both OKC and Boston for getting off of those contracts a year early. I also think Hayward to Gasol and Powell is a pretty clear upgrade. To not get a pick, at least, in return is reason enough to say no.

I think with 2021 being one of the best free agent classes of all time and 2020 one of the worst, it increases the likelihood teams are willing to take a player like Hayward or Adams since it just rolls their cap space over
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#4 » by Troubadour » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Troubadour wrote:I'd really want draft compensation from both OKC and Boston for getting off of those contracts a year early. I also think Hayward to Gasol and Powell is a pretty clear upgrade. To not get a pick, at least, in return is reason enough to say no.

I think with 2021 being one of the best free agent classes of all time and 2020 one of the worst, it increases the likelihood teams are willing to take a player like Hayward or Adams since it just rolls their cap space over

I guess. I am also really reluctant to root for a team with Gordon Hayward on it, which is partly informing my opinion.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Does this really make Toronto better?

I like Ibaka/Powell for Hayward if you want to take a risk. That makes some sense to me TBH, if Hayward can regain any of his form in a much better situation then its worth it.

Boston gets a stop gap Center for this year, they have plenty of wings to replace Hayward.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:45 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Does this really make Toronto better?

Gasol last year was likely better than Adams will ever be, but is an old FA while Adams is same age as Siakam. So if we made a deal like Hayward for for Ibaka/Gasol, it would depend whether Masai wants to go all in next year, or wants to build a long term plan. Even going all in by keeping Gasol instead of Adams isn't infallible since he could get worse while Adams gets better.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#7 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Does this really make Toronto better?

I like Ibaka/Powell for Hayward if you want to take a risk. That makes some sense to me TBH, if Hayward can regain any of his form in a much better situation then its worth it.

Boston gets a stop gap Center for this year, they have plenty of wings to replace Hayward.
Don't think we want to add on 2021-2022 salary because of how damn good that class is going to be. Hayward isn't worth his contract right now and I don't see Toronto as a good team after doing both deals. Philly is clearly better and so is Milwaukee. I can't see them getting past them in a seven game series and if Miami gets Westbrook to pair with Butler they might have something.

I really want Toronto to rebuild around Siakam, a late lotto pick and whatever they get for Ibaka, Gasol, Lowry and their cap space. I think guys like Wiggins, Hayward, Westbrook all are bad fits here they are guys you go after if you have a deep good team already not try to go from a potential 7th seed to a 5th seed
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#8 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:45 am

I don’t think okc will move Adams and definitely won’t attach a pick to do so. There is a good chance he looks a lot better next year when he isn’t chasing Westbrook’s man around the perimeter and getting phased out of the offense after the first quarter.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#9 » by R-DAWG » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Norman Powell seems like a guy I would want to hold onto if I'm the Raptors. He's still relatively young (26), and if he can continue his efficient 3 point shooting (40% in 18MPG last year) over a 25-30min per game stretch (even if that drops down to 37-38%), he's on a good contract.

If I'm Toronto, I want to see as much as possible out of VanVleet/Powell/Anunoby/Siakiam. Are these guys that can excel in limited roles on a deep championship caliber team or are these guys that can be major contributors to a rebuilt Toronto team.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#10 » by bigmean » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Something simple

Norman powell for frank ntikina and filler
Raps Next GM
Rookie
And1: 1,227

Post#11 » by Raps Next GM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Trade 1: TOR/BOS

Toronto gets Gordon Hayward, Boston gets Marc Gasol and Norman Powell

Trade 1: TOR/OKC

Toronto gets Steven Adams, Oklahoma City gets Serge Ibaka

Raptors roster:

Kyle Lowry / Fred VanVleet
Gordon Hayward / Matt Thomas
OG Anunoby / Stanley Johnson
Pascal Siakam / Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Steven Adams / Chris Boucher

Toronto gets younger and if Hayward bounces back gives them a much needed shooting/scoring threat. Adams can be a long term piece. Hayward and Adams both expire in 2021 which allows them to go after Giannis and other FAs

Boston goes for it with Gasol (great in a matchup against Embiid) and Kemba and gets cap relief after. OKC brings back Ibaka who can they can flip for an asset later if they are dumping Westbrook for a borderline negative value contract in Adams

I don’t see OKC adding a pick in that deal, which I would want, but I am on board with the Boston part.
Hayward is a lottery ticket. If he regains his form, then it gives Toronto a chance to continue going for it while maintaining 2021 flexibility. 2020 doesn’t offer much in the way of free agents so we’d be looking for expirings anyhow.

I believe Gasol was a 2019-only integral addition. He was the final piece, and not necessarily acquired to contribute beyond.
He and Powell are very replaceable and neither is likely to come back to haunt the Raptors in a playoff matchup.

Return to Trades and Transactions