Minnesota - OKC - Houston

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Re: Minnesota - OKC - Houston 

Post#21 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:10 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:team killer? as if we're not habitually at the bottom tier of the west who are u kidding bud?

Yawn.

cool bro

It is. If I said what I wanted to say I would get suspended...lol.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#22 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 am

shrink wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:I would trade Teague Dieng & Okogie for CP3 in a heartbeat, idk what you guys are talking about

Chris Paul is one of the five worst contracts in the nba - north of $40 mil a year for three years. He’s 34, likely to decline, and he doesn’t fit with 23 year old KAT. MIN spent the summer getting younger. He’s abrasive, demanding the ball during crunch time when HOU has a world class closer in Harden — imagine how bad he would be on KAT!

This is a bad idea for the Wolves for value reasons as well as team direction.

Thats why we'd draft a pg in the 1st to groom behind cp3 for a couple seasons...
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#23 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:Yawn.

cool bro

you must be a real harda$$ dude
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,991

Post#24 » by shrink » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
shrink wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:I would trade Teague Dieng & Okogie for CP3 in a heartbeat, idk what you guys are talking about

Chris Paul is one of the five worst contracts in the nba - north of $40 mil a year for three years. He’s 34, likely to decline, and he doesn’t fit with 23 year old KAT. MIN spent the summer getting younger. He’s abrasive, demanding the ball during crunch time when HOU has a world class closer in Harden — imagine how bad he would be on KAT!

Thats why we'd draft a pg in the 1st to groom behind cp3 for a couple seasons...

I agree with drafting a PG, or trading for one in a very full market, but three years of Chris Paul at $40+ is too much, especially with Wiggins and Towns on the books.

I expect MIN to add a young PG, but they need to be patient.

Don’t give up what you want most, for what you want now.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#25 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 am

shrink wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
shrink wrote:Chris Paul is one of the five worst contracts in the nba - north of $40 mil a year for three years. He’s 34, likely to decline, and he doesn’t fit with 23 year old KAT. MIN spent the summer getting younger. He’s abrasive, demanding the ball during crunch time when HOU has a world class closer in Harden — imagine how bad he would be on KAT!

I agree with drafting a PG, or trading for one in a very full market, but three years of Chris Paul at $40+ is too much, especially with Wiggins and Towns on the books.

idk i definitely dont want Teague & Dieng the most, truth is we'd most likely continue to sign players of their caliber if they were off the books. D-Lo is good friends w/ KAT and even he spurned us in a hot second; no one of that talent level is coming here unless its through trade or draft. The cap space argument is pointless...
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#26 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:37 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:cool bro

you must be a real harda$$ dude

:roll:
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#27 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
shrink wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Thats why we'd draft a pg in the 1st to groom behind cp3 for a couple seasons...

idk i definitely dont want Teague & Dieng the most, truth is we'd most likely continue to sign players of their caliber if they were off the books. D-Lo is good friends w/ KAT and even he spurned us in a hot second; no one of that talent level is coming here unless its through trade or draft. The cap space argument is pointless...

I'm a kings fan and I hear you. This is exactly why it makes sense. Chris Paul is still a top 10 pg in the league, and arguably top 5. He would be perfect in Minnesota allowing KAT to be the ball and having young slashers constantly moving.
shrink
RealGM

Post#28 » by shrink » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:29 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
shrink wrote:I agree with drafting a PG, or trading for one in a very full market, but three years of Chris Paul at $40+ is too much, especially with Wiggins and Towns on the books.

I'm a kings fan and I hear you. This is exactly why it makes sense. Chris Paul is still a top 10 pg in the league, and arguably top 5. He would be perfect in Minnesota allowing KAT to be the ball and having young slashers constantly moving.

I believe that MIN needs to find young talent and develop it, until they cross a threshold where they can contend, not try for expensive, 1 year, quick fixes. Right now, the most promising teams like BRK, BOS, PHi and LAC all took a patient approach, developed players they drafted or acquired, and resisted quick fix trades like this until they were a good team. Non-destinations can draw free agents when they become contenders, but their growth must start from within. KAT is a great start.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#29 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:52 pm

shrink wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:idk i definitely dont want Teague & Dieng the most, truth is we'd most likely continue to sign players of their caliber if they were off the books. D-Lo is good friends w/ KAT and even he spurned us in a hot second; no one of that talent level is coming here unless its through trade or draft. The cap space argument is pointless...

I believe that MIN needs to find young talent and develop it, until they cross a threshold where they can contend, not try for expensive, 1 year, quick fixes. Right now, the most promising teams like BRK, BOS, PHi and LAC all took a patient approach, developed players they drafted or acquired, and resisted quick fix trades like this until they were a good team. Non-destinations can draw free agents when they become contenders, but their growth must start from within. KAT is a great start.

Wait what? Boston and Philly didn't make huge trades to acquire players? Risks on Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving?

KAT needs some playoff experience. I think if you asked him, he would want CP3. And with CP3 that would be a dangerous dangerous team. I guess you could keep trying your luck in the draft and hoping that something changes, but with Wiggins/KAT you committing a ton of cap to 1 good player. I just don't want to see Minnesota lose KAT in 2 years.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#30 » by jscott » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
shrink wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Wait what? Boston and Philly didn't make huge trades to acquire players? Risks on Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving?

KAT needs some playoff experience. I think if you asked him, he would want CP3. And with CP3 that would be a dangerous dangerous team. I guess you could keep trying your luck in the draft and hoping that something changes, but with Wiggins/KAT you committing a ton of cap to 1 good player. I just don't want to see Minnesota lose KAT in 2 years.

And I think if you ask KAT he wouldn't want Paul.

Also, there is literally 0% chance the Wolves lose KAT in 2 years. He has 5 years left on his deal. This is crazy talk.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#31 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:02 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
shrink wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

youre absolutely right
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#32 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:02 pm

jscott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
shrink wrote:I believe that MIN needs to find young talent and develop it, until they cross a threshold where they can contend, not try for expensive, 1 year, quick fixes. Right now, the most promising teams like BRK, BOS, PHi and LAC all took a patient approach, developed players they drafted or acquired, and resisted quick fix trades like this until they were a good team. Non-destinations can draw free agents when they become contenders, but their growth must start from within. KAT is a great start.

Also, there is literally 0% chance the Wolves lose KAT in 2 years. He has 5 years left on his deal. This is crazy talk.

So players never demand trades?
jscott
Veteran

Post#33 » by jscott » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
shrink wrote:I believe that MIN needs to find young talent and develop it, until they cross a threshold where they can contend, not try for expensive, 1 year, quick fixes. Right now, the most promising teams like BRK, BOS, PHi and LAC all took a patient approach, developed players they drafted or acquired, and resisted quick fix trades like this until they were a good team. Non-destinations can draw free agents when they become contenders, but their growth must start from within. KAT is a great start.

youre absolutely right

No, he's not.

Houston called around during the "trade demand" an no one wanted him.

Also, KAT has no leverage to leave in 2 years. He just signed a 5 year deal. If anything, he maybe has some leverage in/after year 4. Wolves have time to acquire younger, less expensive assets while creating cap flexibility to make trades for better fitting talent. Trading for Paul is foolish at best.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#34 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm

if we have a chance to put out a starting lineup of: CP3 Culver Wiggins Covington Towns you take that risk... if u dont agree leave me alone (fool)
jscott
Veteran

Post#35 » by jscott » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jscott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Not with 3 years left. He'd have 0 leverage.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#36 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm

jscott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jscott wrote:And I think if you ask KAT he wouldn't want Paul.

We literally just saw Paul George do this a week ago?
jscott
Veteran

Post#37 » by jscott » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jscott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

And OKC didn't have to agree to it. They could've have kept him, told PG to suit up for OKC, but they got paid a ton of picks/trade currency. I suppose if some other franchise wants to mortgage their future (and a few picks from another squad) to the Wolves for KAT in 2-3 years then the Wolves would be in a great spot to pounce on that. It's not like he is gone for nothing.

Again, Houston called around a couple weeks ago looking for a place to dump Paul and literally no one wanted him. Why would MN want him now? Especially after having no interest in Westbrook because of his age. Paul is even older.

But whatever, he won't end up on the Wolves regardless of what you or other posters on this board think.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#38 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm

jscott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jscott wrote:Not with 3 years left. He'd have 0 leverage.

And OKC didn't have to agree to it. They could've have kept him, told PG to suit up for OKC, but they got paid a ton of picks/trade currency. I suppose if some other franchise wants to mortgage their future (and a few picks from another squad) to the Wolves for KAT in 2-3 years then the Wolves would be in a great spot to pounce on that. It's not like he is gone for nothing.

Again, Houston called around a couple weeks ago looking for a place to dump Paul and literally no one wanted him. Why would MN want him now? Especially after having no interest in Westbrook because of his age. Paul is even older.

But whatever, he won't end up on the Wolves regardless of what you or other posters on this board think.

Because situations change.

Houston was calling around not looking to rebuild, but looking to retool. They didn't want to take a step back they wanted to take a step forward.

In this scenario, we now assume that OKC doesn't care about what on floor value they can get for him. They just want to clean a year or two off his deal and send him somewhere he wants to go.

This clearly wasn't what Houston wanted. They wanted to swap him for another superstar, and they did just that.
shrink
RealGM

Post#39 » by shrink » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:35 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

For two years, BOS resisted spending it’s picks or young players in an attempt to win now. Same for PHI. I know, because I advised them to jump on to compete. Only after several years of resisting these quick fix trades did they go all in. BRK and LAC have been in the development business for a while now, and have reached a spot to jump in, acquiring assets in trade, and demonstrating to free agents a solid front office.

MIN doesn’t have good assets besides KAT and RoCo, they are financially strapped with some bad contracts, and they have youth, not vets, at most of their starting and bench positions. They are at least two years away for making a win now move for a player like Chris Paul, who would certainly hurt them down the road.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#40 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:24 pm

shrink wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

For two years, BOS resisted spending it’s picks or young players in an attempt to win now. Same for PHI. I know, because I advised them to jump on to compete. Only after several years of resisting these quick fix trades did they go all in. BRK and LAC have been in the development business for a while now, and have reached a spot to jump in, acquiring assets in trade, and demonstrating to free agents a solid front office.

MIN doesn’t have good assets besides KAT and RoCo, they are financially strapped with some bad contracts, and they have youth, not vets, at most of their starting and bench positions. They are at least two years away for making a win now move for a player like Chris Paul, who would certainly hurt them down the road.

So a couple things.

1. Who did the clippers really develop? SGA is really the only one. For the most part last year their team was full of veterans like Bev, Lou, Tobias, Harrell, temple, green, boban, Scott, Gortat, Bradley. You can say they developed Harrell but he was more like uncovered than developed.

2. You are comparing Minnesota to LA and NY. George/Kawhi and durant/Irving arent walking through that door. Hell you couldnt even get KATs best friend to do it.

I'm okay with pushing it off, but this isnt some blunder of a trade. And while you wait for Wiggins to become an expiring so you can actually compete, you can be a good team. Certainly helping KAT, Culver, and some of the other young guys.

That's just my opinion, but it's okay that we disagree.

Return to Trades and Transactions