Magic Thunder

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,103

Re: Magic Thunder 

Post#21 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:17 pm

FNQ wrote:Maybe ATL would want him back? A couple years ago they were pretty big fans of him

But then he became a huge locker room problem. Was openly talking about wanting out.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#22 » by BullyKing » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:27 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
tiderulz wrote:actually they were. the front office has said from day one they werent going to tank. they wanted to show that they could win, even if just winning small. maybe you did, but i doubt you listened to too many of the press conferences and talks with the new front office and their plans

There were other moves to be made if they wanted to blow it up and completely rebuild. Halfway thru the season, you could see they had a good chance to make the playoffs. If they wanted deeper at PG, they could have taken Schroder.

You're changing the subject. No one is talking about what the front office said, I'm talking about what people actually expected the Magic to accomplish. The reason they didn't take Schroder is because he isn't any good. No one is arguing with you about that and that's the reason the Magic would have no interest in this trade. But its that reason and not the nonsense "if we wanted him, we would have acquired him last season" trope that gets thrown around.

But I'll mark you down as someone who believes the Magic would turn down Isaac for Donovan Mitchell because, if they wanted Mitchell, they would have taken him.

so "people" knew what the Magic were going to do, whether compete or rebuild, not the front office who actually make personnel moves. okay :dontknow:

as for trading people, I would trade Isaac for Mitchell, so you would be wrong there. I was not a fan of the Bamba pick either. I liked SGA and Bridges (though he hasnt quite fit like i thought he would, I'm not always right :D )

You keep diverting the discussion from what people thought the Magic would do when I'm talking solely about what they actually did. So let me try it from the other perspective. If last year someone proposed OKC trading for Fultz, I think a fair response then would be that it didn't make sense for a contending Thunder team that already had a luxury tax issue to have an $8 million project on the bench. Now obviously, that reasoning doesn't necessarily hold true anymore.

Now with the Magic, they could have not been interested last year because they (correctly) believe that Schroder just is not a good player. But perhaps they actually do like him but didn't want to acquire him last year because they thought they would get a better one this offseason. We don't know but the rote response of "if we want him now, we would have gotten him last year" isn't necessarily correct.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#23 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
FNQ wrote:Maybe ATL would want him back? A couple years ago they were pretty big fans of him

But then he became a huge locker room problem. Was openly talking about wanting out.

He was talking about leaving because he wanted to win, and Atlanta seems to be on that path now
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#24 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm

BullyKing wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
You're changing the subject. No one is talking about what the front office said, I'm talking about what people actually expected the Magic to accomplish. The reason they didn't take Schroder is because he isn't any good. No one is arguing with you about that and that's the reason the Magic would have no interest in this trade. But its that reason and not the nonsense "if we wanted him, we would have acquired him last season" trope that gets thrown around.

But I'll mark you down as someone who believes the Magic would turn down Isaac for Donovan Mitchell because, if they wanted Mitchell, they would have taken him.

so "people" knew what the Magic were going to do, whether compete or rebuild, not the front office who actually make personnel moves. okay :dontknow:

as for trading people, I would trade Isaac for Mitchell, so you would be wrong there. I was not a fan of the Bamba pick either. I liked SGA and Bridges (though he hasnt quite fit like i thought he would, I'm not always right :D )

You keep diverting the discussion from what people thought the Magic would do when I'm talking solely about what they actually did. So let me try it from the other perspective. If last year someone proposed OKC trading for Fultz, I think a fair response then would be that it didn't make sense for a contending Thunder team that already had a luxury tax issue to have an $8 million project on the bench. Now obviously, that reasoning doesn't necessarily hold true anymore.

Now with the Magic, they could have not been interested last year because they (correctly) believe that Schroder just is not a good player. But perhaps they actually do like him but didn't want to acquire him last year because they thought they would get a better one this offseason. We don't know but the rote response of "if we want him now, we would have gotten him last year" isn't necessarily correct.

you say im diverting, but you keep referring to "people" but not the actual people in charge of making moves, so I'm not sure which exact people you are referring to. Who cares what fans thought (both Magic fans and other fans) the Magic should do, if they were competing or rebuilding. If they were not competing, they would have traded Vuc for value before letting him become a free agent this summer. They made moves to compete. And they could have made a move to take Schroder. They didnt like him then and dont now. So my statement of "they could have gotten Dennis before when Atlanta wanted to move him" is still correct. They didnt want him then, whether his bad play, criminal assault, contract, etc.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#25 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:59 pm

FNQ wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

He was talking about leaving because he wanted to win, and Atlanta seems to be on that path now

his game didnt develop but his attitude did and then he committed felony assault.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#26 » by BullyKing » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
tiderulz wrote:so "people" knew what the Magic were going to do, whether compete or rebuild, not the front office who actually make personnel moves. okay :dontknow:

you say im diverting, but you keep referring to "people" but not the actual people in charge of making moves, so I'm not sure which exact people you are referring to. Who cares what fans thought (both Magic fans and other fans) the Magic should do, if they were competing or rebuilding. If they were not competing, they would have traded Vuc for value before letting him become a free agent this summer. They made moves to compete. And they could have made a move to take Schroder. They didnt like him then and dont know. So my statement of "they could have gotten Dennis before when Atlanta wanted to move him" is still correct. They didnt want him then, whether his bad play, criminal assault, contract, etc.

I give up except to say that you don't know the bolded and that's precisely the point.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#27 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 pm

BullyKing wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

you say im diverting, but you keep referring to "people" but not the actual people in charge of making moves, so I'm not sure which exact people you are referring to. Who cares what fans thought (both Magic fans and other fans) the Magic should do, if they were competing or rebuilding. If they were not competing, they would have traded Vuc for value before letting him become a free agent this summer. They made moves to compete. And they could have made a move to take Schroder. They didnt like him then and dont know. So my statement of "they could have gotten Dennis before when Atlanta wanted to move him" is still correct. They didnt want him then, whether his bad play, criminal assault, contract, etc.

I give up except to say that you don't know the bolded and that's precisely the point.

that was supposed to be "now" not "know"

again, who are these "people" you keep referring to?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,176

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Did Schroder stop sucking and someone forget to tell me?

Seriously though, I don't see anyway that Schroder has anything but negative value on that contract. There are not assets coming back in a Schroder deal. It's just a question of how much OKC is willing to part with to move him when they could just cut him outright and eat the cap space.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#29 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:14 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Troubadour wrote:I like this trade for both teams.

if Orlando wanted Schroder, they would have taken him when Atlanta wanted to move him.

they are invested in Fultz right now, but as a lottery ticket. If he doesnt pan out, they didnt give up much for him. If he gets to 75% of what he was in college, he is better than Schroder.

easy pass from Orlando

I say 50%
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#30 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:18 pm

I would rather play mcw...lol...and he is only 2 mill
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,103

Post#31 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Did Schroder stop sucking and someone forget to tell me?

Seriously though, I don't see anyway that Schroder has anything but negative value on that contract. There are not assets coming back in a Schroder deal. It's just a question of how much OKC is willing to part with to move him when they could just cut him outright and eat the cap space.

I'd put the Denver pick with him to get something useless but not objectively worse contract wise.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#32 » by SD2042 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

If I'm to speak for the ATL fans, I'm sure they would prefer to keep him away from Trey Young and the youth movement the young Hawks are building right now. If anything, the Thunder could look into a veteran team that could look to take on Schoeder and his deal.

Return to Trades and Transactions