Making the East more competitive: ATL-DET trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Making the East more competitive: ATL-DET trade 

Post#1 » by cornchip » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Just a small trade to make the East more competitive.

ATL gets Blake Griffin
DET gets Chandler Parsons, Bruno Fernando, 2020 FRP (from Brooklyn), 2022 FRP (from OKC; if not converted 2023 pick from ATL) 2024 SRP

The Hawks can possibly make a run to the second round with a Blake/Collins frontcourt. Builds a competitive team and winning culture while keeping flexibility for 2021 (when Blake can opt out).

Detroit gets assets and a expiring contract for a rebuild. Bruno is insurance for Drummond and is a decent young backup C and Sekou gets more time at the 4 behind Morris.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Making the East more competitive: ATL-DET trade 

Post#2 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Detroit would need a lot more.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:02 am

How about ATL take Griffin & Snell?

Give DET Turner & Crabbe plus those picks?

ATL still get Blake. He's friends with Parsons so he's got a ready made buddy on the team.

Moving Turner and Crabbe removes roadblocks for the rookies the Hawks just drafted too. Snell & Hill are still there if the rooks aren't ready for big minutes.

Detroit get numerous draft assets, move the cap room timeline forward by 1 year to coincide with Drummond's option.

Also allows Detroit to flip Turner and/or Crabbe later for additional draft assets (#Presti)

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
cornchip
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by cornchip » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:46 am

Pharaoh wrote:How about ATL take Griffin & Snell?

Give DET Turner & Crabbe plus those picks?

ATL still get Blake. He's friends with Parsons so he's got a ready made buddy on the team.

Moving Turner and Crabbe removes roadblocks for the rookies the Hawks just drafted too. Snell & Hill are still there if the rooks aren't ready for big minutes.

Detroit get numerous draft assets, move the cap room timeline forward by 1 year to coincide with Drummond's option.

Also allows Detroit to flip Turner and/or Crabbe later for additional draft assets (#Presti)

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Wasn't Hill traded for Parsons? That works too though especially for the Pistons.

Pistons would have:

Jackson/Rose
Kennard/Crabbe/Galloway
Turner/Sekou/Brown
Morris/Maker
Drummond/Fernando

Not that bad of a rebuilding team. A Doumbayo/Fernando frontcourt may have some potential plus the picks on the way.

The Hawks would have:

Young/Adams
Huerter/Snell/Bembry
Hunter/Reddish/Parsons
Griffin/Jones
Collins/Len

Think I would rather have Crabbe and Turner for the depth during a playoff run. Turner could run a little point too. But still a tough out in the playoffs.

Edit: Revised OP to include Fernando and OKC's pick.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#5 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 am

You can't get Griffin and keep all of the good prospects. Hunter, Reddish, expirings is closer than what you guys are offering.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
tomaHAWKslam
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#6 » by tomaHAWKslam » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:05 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:You can't get Griffin and keep all of the good prospects. Hunter, Reddish, expirings is closer than what you guys are offering.
then I definitely don't want Griffin. I don't think he's a great fit with Collins anyway, but especially not at the cost of our rookies.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#7 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:42 am

I prefer impact players, but fit is just as important. Blake with Collins would be similar to Westbrook with Oladipo. The Hawks are looking for versatile true bigs just like everybody else.

A guy like JJJ is the prototype for this roster, but those guys don't come around too often. I think Det could get better returns if he's truly on the market.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#8 » by vxmike » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:20 pm

I doubt Atlanta wants an expensive broken-down Griffin. They have a great re-build going and the East is weak again.
cornchip
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by cornchip » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Interesting to see what Griffin's value is.

PG went for a potential All-Star, an expiring, and five (!) FRP's.

But Westbrook went for a long contract and essentially two FRP's.

I think Blake is in the middle of that. I think an expiring, a potential all-star player, and a FRP or expirings and 2-3 FRP's would get it done based on the situation. Blake is still an excellent player...25-8-5 on 58% TS and very solid defense. I don't know what team wouldn't want that if they have a hole in the frontcourt.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#10 » by dms269 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:40 pm

25centsandwich wrote:Interesting to see what Griffin's value is.

PG went for a potential All-Star, an expiring, and five (!) FRP's.

But Westbrook went for a long contract and essentially two FRP's.

I think Blake is in the middle of that. I think an expiring, a potential all-star player, and a FRP or expirings and 2-3 FRP's would get it done based on the situation. Blake is still an excellent player...25-8-5 on 58% TS and very solid defense. I don't know what team wouldn't want that if they have a hole in the frontcourt.
Atlanta isn't a contender. It isn't like adding Blake pushes Atlanta into a top 3 seed in the east. When Atlanta is likely ready to compete, Griffin will be gone (contract expires).

Not saying the deal is bad in terms of value, just not sure it is a good fit for where Atlanta is now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I agree that it's the wrong trajectory for the Hawks. They've got some young talent, but the time frame between Trae and crew and Blake is too big.

Return to Trades and Transactions