A CP3 Offer Riley Can't Refuse, w/MIN

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

A CP3 Offer Riley Can't Refuse, w/MIN 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y2m2ysgz

MIA trades Johnson/Winslow/Waiters for Paul/Diallo
The Heat absorb '21 and '22 salary to gain a 2nd star who, despite his age, maintains a very positive impact. This vaults them into the conversation for a 1st-round home-court advantage in the playoffs, and a real shot at coming out of the East if things gel.
Paul, Herro, Butler, Olynyk, Adebayo
Dragic, Diallo, Jones, Anderson, Leonard

MIN trades Wiggins/1st for Johnson/Waiters
The Wolves were over-confident that they could move Andrew for positive value return. Instead, they pivot to a new era at SG, and free up their long-term cap to add around KAT in the future.
Teague, Cutler, Covington, Johnson, Towns
Waiters, Okogie, Bates-Diop, Vonleh, Dieng

OKC trades Paul/Diallo for Wiggins/Winslow/1st
The Thunder get a pair of young starters on the wing and a pick. Cue the rebuild.
Alexander, Wiggins, Winslow, Gallinari, Adams
Schroeder, Ferguson, Roberson, Patterson, Noel
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,933

Re: A CP3 Offer Riley Can't Refuse, w/MIN 

Post#2 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 am

Minnesota would need to add more. One 1st doesn't turn Wiggins into expirings.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,962

Post#3 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:13 am

At this point I think the Wolves have pretty much decided to keep Wiggins and see how the season goes. Summer league interviews with the coach and GM indicated the franchise is committed to giving Wiggins an opportunity with Saunders as head coach. I don't see much chance that Minnesota looks to dump Wiggins this late in FA, especially when they have to pay do so. My guess is the organization will evaluate what they want to do with Wiggins after seeing how he does next season.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#4 » by yellowknifer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:16 am

I think if I'm Miami and it's a CP3 trade Winslow is off the table.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#5 » by Hoops23 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:40 am

That is a trade Riley will refused.
OKC should not receive compensation because they are the one getting favors by dumping CP3's contract.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#6 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:48 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:Minnesota would need to add more. One 1st doesn't turn Wiggins into expirings.

Hmmmm. Are they expiring contracts?
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#7 » by gom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:44 am

These Chris Paul deals are getting worse. Let's see if they are still this bad at the trade deadline.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,754

Post#8 » by Domejandro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:Minnesota would need to add more. One 1st doesn't turn Wiggins into expirings.

Both Johnson and Waiters both have two years left.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#9 » by marcush » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 am

At this stage, I wouldn’t call Paul a 2nd star.

Miami shouldn’t be trading Winslow.... it would be more likely that they are looking for assets to take on Paul’s cap killer.

If CP starts of the season well then that value could obviously change.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#10 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 am

marcush wrote:At this stage, I wouldn’t call Paul a 2nd star.

Miami shouldn’t be trading Winslow.... it would be more likely that they are looking for assets to take on Paul’s cap killer.

It actually wouldn't change if he starts the season well. He'll still be 34, he'll still average more than 20 missed games a session, and he'll still be due $44 million when he's 37.

Riley easily refuses this. Winslow if off the table. Miami should be trading Dragic and pieces they don't want, while getting their first rounders back. Easy pass for the Heat...
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#11 » by marcush » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 am

BBallFreak wrote:

It actually wouldn't change if he starts the season well. He'll still be 34, he'll still average more than 20 missed games a session, and he'll still be due $44 million when he's 37.

Riley easily refuses this. Winslow if off the table. Miami should be trading Dragic and pieces they don't want, while getting their first rounders back. Easy pass for the Heat...

I stated they should not trade Winslow and that they one looking for assets to take on Paul’s contract.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Post#12 » by the_process » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y2m2ysgz

The Heat absorb '21 and '22 salary to gain a 2nd star who, despite his age, maintains a very positive impact. This vaults them into the conversation for a 1st-round home-court advantage in the playoffs, and a real shot at coming out of the East if things gel.

The Wolves were over-confident that they could move Andrew for positive value return. Instead, they pivot to a new era at SG, and free up their long-term cap to add around KAT in the future.

The Thunder get a pair of young starters on the wing and a pick. Cue the rebuild.

Whenever this would be legal:

MIA gets CP3, Roberson, 2021 MIA 1st, and 2022 LAC 1st
OKC gets Winslow, Dragic, and Leonard
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am

the_process wrote:

You don't get Winslow in this deal. That's absolutely off the table. Those two picks are the price to pay for us taking Paul
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:51 am

marcush wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

I stated they should not trade Winslow and that they one looking for assets to take on Paul’s contract.
I know. That was a comment on the actual trade itself, not your comment. Probably should have differentiated. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,933

Post#15 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Domejandro wrote:

I was apparently drunk or something (I don't drink and so that's a lie).

I still think it needs more from Minnesota though.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#16 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 pm

I think that MIA fans are going to eat crow, when they find out how much they will eventually pay for Paul.

Adebayo is already off the table in a CP3 trade, which is understandable even though some ESPN pundits still put him in their trade proposals. MIA's front office has declared Herro untouchable... whatever.

Now, even a cap-neutral trade over the next 2 years with no youth assets is too much for you??? Justise is a nice passer for a wing, but hardly worth holding up an over-the-top move, which is what I consider this to be.

Would Heat fans prefer Leonard and 2 pick swaps in the deal, as opposed to Winslow? I'm not sure OKC would, just looking to gauge value.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,387

Post#17 » by shrink » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm

wolves_89 wrote:At this point I think the Wolves have pretty much decided to keep Wiggins and see how the season goes. Summer league interviews with the coach and GM indicated the franchise is committed to giving Wiggins an opportunity with Saunders as head coach. I don't see much chance that Minnesota looks to dump Wiggins this late in FA, especially when they have to pay do so. My guess is the organization will evaluate what they want to do with Wiggins after seeing how he does next season.

Right, and it’s clear a development guy like Gersson Rosas would not have been hired if he did not have plans for Wiggins. They certainly can’t afford to give up future assets like picks to move him immediately.

I know that the non-MIN posters on the trade board think that moving Wiggins is some immediate need, like the team is trying to contend right now, if they suddenly got a few vets. Every move Rosas has made has been the opposite of this, removing all their vets and bringing in upside youth. I think Wiggins in these Chris Paul trades is DOA.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I think that MIA fans are going to eat crow, when they find out how much they will eventually pay for Paul.

Adebayo is already off the table in a CP3 trade, which is understandable even though some ESPN pundits still put him in their trade proposals. MIA's front office has declared Herro untouchable... whatever.

Now, even a cap-neutral trade over the next 2 years with no youth assets is too much for you??? Justise is a nice passer for a wing, but hardly worth holding up an over-the-top move, which is what I consider this to be.

Would Heat fans prefer Leonard and 2 pick swaps in the deal, as opposed to Winslow? I'm not sure OKC would, just looking to gauge value.

Chris Paul has been shopped everywhere, around the league, with only one taker; Oklahoma City. Miami is supposedly lukewarm on the idea of taking him. Now you want us to give up an asset to do it? No, I don't see that. From what I've read, Miami is looking for 2-3 firsts to do the deal. You have us getting none and giving up a player we love. We are not giving up value for a guy who can't stay healthy, has alienated every star player he's teamed up with, and is due $44 million when he's 37. Winslow is off the table, and picks better get on the table. Otherwise, they can find someone else. Good luck with that, though. No one else seems to be even lukewarm on the guy...
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Post#19 » by the_process » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:19 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
the_process wrote:

You don't get Winslow in this deal. That's absolutely off the table. Those two picks are the price to pay for us taking Paul

I could see CP3 and your 2021 pick returned for Dragic, Leonard, and Maten.

Beyond that, IMO OKC holds out.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#20 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Domejandro wrote:

Indeed. And I don't think MN will give up a 1st for that. Not sure they give up a 1st just to dump him yet, no real logistical point to it. I sure don't think they would post Free Agency unless in some LARGER three team deal to pair KAT with a younger high caliber player and like I said that is a larger deal with more involved.

Return to Trades and Transactions