Chicago Off Season Review

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,340

Re: Chicago Off Season Review 

Post#41 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 pm

BullyKing wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
jpengland wrote:The Thad Young signing is hugely underrated.

Hes a great, versatile, defender and stretches the floor. He's going yo make the game easier for that roster.
The Thad signing was good, though slightly confusing given where their top players play but he is certainly not a floor spacer. He can take threes and make them (so not like a Favors) but not at a good enough clip to be respected by the defense. A lot of his threes with Indy were the result of being completely open and sometimes he even passed those up.

I'd also take issue with Thad being a versatile defender. He really can't guard anyone but an opposing four.

Curious what makes you say that? As a guy who is rated as a top loose ball guy (with the steals numbers to support) as well as being known for his defense vs a guy like giannis (a modern/versatile/ball handling power forward) I thought his versatility was one of his strengths.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,105

Post#42 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:The Thad signing was good, though slightly confusing given where their top players play but he is certainly not a floor spacer. He can take threes and make them (so not like a Favors) but not at a good enough clip to be respected by the defense. A lot of his threes with Indy were the result of being completely open and sometimes he even passed those up.

I'd also take issue with Thad being a versatile defender. He really can't guard anyone but an opposing four.

Curious what makes you say that? As a guy who is rated as a top loose ball guy (with the steals numbers to support) as well as being known for his defense vs a guy like giannis (a modern/versatile/ball handling power forward) I thought his versatility was one of his strengths.

He can’t stay with 3s and hasn’t been able to for a while.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#43 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

He can’t stay with 3s and hasn’t been able to for a while.

So are you saying as a switch defender hes subpar compared to most others?

Its one thing to say defending full time on the perimeter isnt ideal for him compared to a guy like otto porter or kawhi leonard But that isnt the end all of a versatile defender (re: switch defense). Does his noted ablility to stay with giannis (as well as anyone can at least) while also being a top 3 guy in the league getting to loose balls not imply still a high level of defensive versatility relative to his position (power forward)?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#44 » by pacers33granger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 am

Thad can switch more than fine. He is limited somewhat flexibility wise in the sense that he's not a strong perimeter defender nor is he able to deal with centers.

He's a very very good defender though.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#45 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:01 am

Yeah Thad's a good defender. Just think it's more accurate to say that he's a switchable defender, not a versatile defender.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:37 am

This was a pleasant resolution of momentarily differing opinions. The valuation of switchability vs "versatility" being a topic for another discussion.

Return to Trades and Transactions