Jaylen Brown to Houston

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan

User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 15,597
And1: 4,065
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:11 am

I've been wondering why we haven't seen anything with Iman Shumpert or Nene, and I think the answer is that Houston is $5.3 million below the tax apron. This leaves them just enough room to grab a player recently drafted to fill out their depth chart [they have some ung. players they can cut to push this up to about $16.1 million...but I don't think they want to cut all these players). Two names stuck out to me (as potential PJ Tucker "replacements"): OG Anunoby and Jaylen Brown. Went with Brown, as he's a bit more of a complete product.

Boston trades: Jaylen Brown
Houston trades: Nene/Shumpert, 2020 HOU 1st, 2022 HOU 1st

Protections would obviously be negotiated, but I expect both picks to be unprotected. Houston adds a young player that can be a pretty decent third option for them, while Boston clarifies their rotation, making room for Hayward/Tatum/Smart and the rookies to play the bulk of the minutes on the wings.

Houston rotation:
Capela/Chandler/Faried (if resigned)
Tucker/Brown/Hartenstein
Brown/House/Green
Harden/Gordon
Westbrook/Harden/Rivers
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
LarsV8
Head Coach
Posts: 6,928
And1: 1,629
Joined: Dec 13, 2009
       

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#2 » by LarsV8 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 am

Jaylen Brown isn't very good.

Maybe without the 2022 first, but two firsts is meh.
Image
Magic_Johnny12
General Manager
Posts: 8,572
And1: 6,028
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Contact:
       

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#3 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:54 am

PLENTY of teams could and will beat this offer.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Magic_Johnny12
General Manager
Posts: 8,572
And1: 6,028
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Contact:
       

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#4 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:55 am

LarsV8 wrote:Shumpert/Nene isn't very good.

Maybe without the 2022 first, but two firsts is meh.


Fixed that for you bud.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
User avatar
LarsV8
Head Coach
Posts: 6,928
And1: 1,629
Joined: Dec 13, 2009
       

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#5 » by LarsV8 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:56 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Fixed that for you bud.


Trades about picks not fillers
Image
Magic_Johnny12
General Manager
Posts: 8,572
And1: 6,028
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Contact:
       

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#6 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:59 am

LarsV8 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Fixed that for you bud.


Trades about picks not fillers


Those picks won’t net you Sterling Brown let alone Jaylen. C’mon dude.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
User avatar
LarsV8
Head Coach
Posts: 6,928
And1: 1,629
Joined: Dec 13, 2009
       

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#7 » by LarsV8 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:00 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Those picks won’t net you Sterling Brown let alone Jaylen. C’mon dude.


Not interested, sorry.
Image
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 37,513
And1: 8,591
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#8 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:16 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:PLENTY of teams could and will beat this offer.


Absolutely. Ainge could get way more for Brown.
“Our guys are f*%#ing giants” - Steve Kerr after Game 5 Victory
User avatar
Drax
Veteran
Posts: 2,659
And1: 1,881
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Location: Germany
   

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#9 » by Drax » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:00 am

babyjax13 wrote:... while Boston clarifies their rotation, making room for Hayward/Tatum/Smart and the rookies to play the bulk of the minutes on the wings.


Wait what? I don't get this, why has the rotation to be clarified? Boston will play small line ups all season, out of necessity and by design. Ainge build the rosters since he hired Stevens with one pattern in mind, one ball handler, three wings and one big man.

2017/18 opening night starting five: Irving - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford
2018/19 opening night starting five: Irving - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford
2019/20 projected starting five: Walker - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Kanter/Theis

There is some consistency here. While Brown may be the player to be traded in the future, it won't be for picks and bit players. He only will be traded for a clear upgrade, otherwise i think consistency will prevail.
Brad Stevens Boston Celtics

WE WILL

- Sprint to set OUR defense
- Execute OUR defense with multiple efforts to completion
- Be TOUGH with the ball
- Play unselfishly with pace & space to get great shots
- Dominate effort plays
User avatar
ThunderBolt
RealGM
Posts: 10,978
And1: 8,140
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
Location: Bentonville, AR
 

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 am

What’s the reason for Boston doing this trade? This seems like a very weak return.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 17,931
And1: 5,466
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#11 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:19 am

Hayward for EG/Capela they might do..
User avatar
Chicago-Bull-E
General Manager
Posts: 9,998
And1: 2,683
Joined: Jun 27, 2008

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#12 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:32 am

Terrible for Boston
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
User avatar
j-ragg
RealGM
Posts: 16,248
And1: 9,757
Joined: Mar 31, 2005
Location: the don't re-sign Hedo bandwagon.
   

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#13 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:11 pm

This would be selling way too low for Boston.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
JRoy
Ballboy
Posts: 44
And1: 26
Joined: Feb 27, 2019

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#14 » by JRoy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:31 pm

This doesn’t seem realistic.

Houston’s in a tough spot; no trade assets they can really afford to deal, late draft picks and a number of holes in their roster.

Houston might be better served looking for players (with warts) that are affordable with the assets available.

That isn’t Jaylen Brown.
Karate Diop
Veteran
Posts: 2,858
And1: 3,243
Joined: May 19, 2017
 

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#15 » by Karate Diop » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Coxy wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:PLENTY of teams could and will beat this offer.


Absolutely. Ainge could get way more for Brown.


He'd ask for more but would he be able to pull the trigger if a competent GM counters with a more realistic proposal?

Ainge is gun shy and is so in love with certain guys on his roster that he's overvaluing them now...
NoZoLakers
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,548
And1: 1,760
Joined: May 20, 2017

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#16 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Ainge doesnt do well with late 1st
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 15,597
And1: 4,065
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Drax wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:... while Boston clarifies their rotation, making room for Hayward/Tatum/Smart and the rookies to play the bulk of the minutes on the wings.


Wait what? I don't get this, why has the rotation to be clarified? Boston will play small line ups all season, out of necessity and by design. Ainge build the rosters since he hired Stevens with one pattern in mind, one ball handler, three wings and one big man.

2017/18 opening night starting five: Irving - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford
2018/19 opening night starting five: Irving - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford
2019/20 projected starting five: Walker - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Kanter/Theis

There is some consistency here. While Brown may be the player to be traded in the future, it won't be for picks and bit players. He only will be traded for a clear upgrade, otherwise i think consistency will prevail.


I guess I see Tatum being most effective as a 3? I could be completely wrong. Also, I guess I'm projecting that 2022 pick to be higher than others are, and someone maxing Brown (which Boston might not match). IDK. Anunoby might be more realistic, then.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,167
And1: 19,607
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#18 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm

I dont see Boston trading Brown for future late firsts. Im guessing that they pivot after last season and look to further develop the player.
Djh7475
Pro Prospect
Posts: 806
And1: 335
Joined: Jul 27, 2016

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#19 » by Djh7475 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Celtics already have 2 extra future 1sts (the Memphis one being a likely top 5 pick) along with a recent influx of youth as well as youth that we’re focusing on as focal points of our present future (which is where Jaylen falls). Carsen Edwards, Romeo Langford, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, and Semi Ojeleye are all young guys we believe in and expect to grow. Trading a young 2-way starting wing that we love for scrubs and future 1sts isn’t anything we’d be interested in.

All we need is an elite defensive young 5 like Capella which is what we’re hoping Robert Williams turns into, so him not being included makes the Celtics worse in the short and long term. I don’t see where this deal makes sense on any level.
Patsfan1081
General Manager
Posts: 7,900
And1: 3,041
Joined: Jan 06, 2015

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#20 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:25 am

LarsV8 wrote:Jaylen Brown isn't very good.

Maybe without the 2022 first, but two firsts is meh.



:noway: Yeah that 18/5/1.5 he put up in the playoffs as a soph really showed the kid has no potential as a prospect. I'm not even sure why he got a invite to join the U.S. team
.

Return to Trades and Transactions