Jaylen Brown to Houston

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Re: Jaylen Brown to Houston 

Post#21 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:28 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Drax wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:... while Boston clarifies their rotation, making room for Hayward/Tatum/Smart and the rookies to play the bulk of the minutes on the wings.

Wait what? I don't get this, why has the rotation to be clarified? Boston will play small line ups all season, out of necessity and by design. Ainge build the rosters since he hired Stevens with one pattern in mind, one ball handler, three wings and one big man.

2017/18 opening night starting five: Irving - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford
2018/19 opening night starting five: Irving - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford
2019/20 projected starting five: Walker - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Kanter/Theis

There is some consistency here. While Brown may be the player to be traded in the future, it won't be for picks and bit players. He only will be traded for a clear upgrade, otherwise i think consistency will prevail.

I guess I see Tatum being most effective as a 3? I could be completely wrong. Also, I guess I'm projecting that 2022 pick to be higher than others are, and someone maxing Brown (which Boston might not match). IDK. Anunoby might be more realistic, then.

Problem is Boston doesn't have a starting 4. I don't see Brown getting maxed either unless he has a really good season, which in turn you would then want to pay him.
dive135
Junior
And1: 227

Post#22 » by dive135 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm

With all the turmoil last year, if I am the Celtics I roll the dice and see if the new year sees him show some of the promise he did the year before. His value is pretty low, and if anything should make it easier for the Celtics to resign him on a reasonable deal. I also don't see Ainge trading him for a few late 1sts.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#23 » by 100proof » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Danny wouldnt include brown in a kawhi deal.

But nene and a couple of trash firsts?
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#24 » by VDT » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm

The trade doesnt make sense. A large part of Brown' s value is in his potential. Houston wants to compete right now.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#25 » by brackdan70 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Drax wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:... while Boston clarifies their rotation, making room for Hayward/Tatum/Smart and the rookies to play the bulk of the minutes on the wings.

Wait what? I don't get this, why has the rotation to be clarified? Boston will play small line ups all season, out of necessity and by design. Ainge build the rosters since he hired Stevens with one pattern in mind, one ball handler, three wings and one big man.

2019/20 projected starting five: Walker - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Kanter/Theis

There is some consistency here. While Brown may be the player to be traded in the future, it won't be for picks and bit players. He only will be traded for a clear upgrade, otherwise i think consistency will prevail.

Precisely. The Why for the Celtics doesn’t make any sense.

If Brown is traded it will be in a package to get a better player, not for a couple late first round picks

On paper the value of the OP may be fair given Brown is an RFA but his potential is still far greater than that package. I don’t think the Cs are concerned about paying either.
Sign here
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#26 » by dakomish23 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Jaylen has more value than this.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#27 » by BoogieTime » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Drax wrote:

I guess I see Tatum being most effective as a 3? I could be completely wrong. Also, I guess I'm projecting that 2022 pick to be higher than others are, and someone maxing Brown (which Boston might not match). IDK. Anunoby might be more realistic, then.

Problem is Boston doesn't have a starting 4. I don't see Brown getting maxed either unless he has a really good season, which in turn you would then want to pay him.

They don’t have a starting 5 either
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#28 » by nate33 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:PLENTY of teams could and will beat this offer.

I don't know if that's true.

Jaylen Brown is a good player to be sure, but he's about to get a market value contract when he hits free agency. Jaylen Brown making $20M+ a year doesn't have all THAT much trade value. Theoretically, in an efficient market, he will sign a contract that makes him pretty close to neutral value.

This is like the situation the Wizards experienced with Otto Porter. Porter is a very good player, but he's not much of a trade chip when he is on a max contract.

I kinda like the premise for this trade. Houston gets a good player with a low cap value this year. And they don't mind paying a fortune to keep him next year because they're in a win-now stance.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#29 » by Woody Allen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 am

Jaylen Brown wouldn't fit next to Westbrook to justify this, which isn't entirely Brown's fault. But this trade isn't worth it for Houston.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#30 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:07 am

babyjax13 wrote:I've been wondering why we haven't seen anything with Iman Shumpert or Nene, and I think the answer is that Houston is $5.3 million below the tax apron. This leaves them just enough room to grab a player recently drafted to fill out their depth chart [they have some ung. players they can cut to push this up to about $16.1 million...but I don't think they want to cut all these players). Two names stuck out to me (as potential PJ Tucker "replacements"): OG Anunoby and Jaylen Brown. Went with Brown, as he's a bit more of a complete product.

Boston trades: Jaylen Brown
Houston trades: Nene/Shumpert, 2020 HOU 1st, 2022 HOU 1st

Protections would obviously be negotiated, but I expect both picks to be unprotected. Houston adds a young player that can be a pretty decent third option for them, while Boston clarifies their rotation, making room for Hayward/Tatum/Smart and the rookies to play the bulk of the minutes on the wings.

Houston rotation:
Capela/Chandler/Faried (if resigned)
Tucker/Brown/Hartenstein
Brown/House/Green
Harden/Gordon
Westbrook/Harden/Rivers

does brown command 2 firsts? in his walk year where whoever aquires him is either looking at a rental or overpaying a young guy on potential? 2022 is supposed to be loaded also.

would need to be steep protections. maybe the 2022 is top 20 protected 3 years and then becomes 2 seconds?
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#31 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:55 am

Djh7475 wrote:Celtics already have 2 extra future 1sts (the Memphis one being a likely top 5 pick) along with a recent influx of youth as well as youth that we’re focusing on as focal points of our present future (which is where Jaylen falls). Carsen Edwards, Romeo Langford, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, and Semi Ojeleye are all young guys we believe in and expect to grow. Trading a young 2-way starting wing that we love for scrubs and future 1sts isn’t anything we’d be interested in.

All we need is an elite defensive young 5 like Capella which is what we’re hoping Robert Williams turns into, so him not being included makes the Celtics worse in the short and long term. I don’t see where this deal makes sense on any level.

This is like calling the Sacramento first a likely top 5 pick, but less accurate. The pick literally cannot be top 5 next year, so you're projecting the Grizzlies record for the next two years and assuming both of them will be worse than last season, even once they have no incentive to tank. That's certainly possible, but feels really overconfident. It's very, very rare for unprotected picks to end up in the top 5, even when the team is pretty uninspiring on paper - see the nets, kings and lakers picks, all of which were supposed to be top 5 and ended up late lotto.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#32 » by red96 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Jaylen Brown has some talent, but for 2 1sts and soon to be a RFA? I not so sure about that. I love, no, like his potential, but any team trading for him better be ready to pay him $25 million+ per year for that potential in that extremely weak 2020 FA(Kyle Lowry, Milsap, Whiteside, Parsons).
1 year of role player level play isnt worth 2 picks, and I doubt id want Brown on his next contract.

I could see why Boston wouldn't be interested either. They'd want tangible talent to fill their holes right now.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#33 » by Asif16 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Jaylen Brown is not a good player but this offer still seems to low.

Boston doesnt do it
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,515

Post#34 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm

28 other teams can present a better offer.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,788

Post#35 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm

I don't get the idea of a young wing to Houston. They are all in right now with Russ, Harden, and key role players in their primes. They shouldn't be giving more value for an upside play, they should marshal together what value they can for vets that fit.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#36 » by Gant » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 pm

This is from Smitty's column from a few weeks ago, and shows how unlikely the Celtics are to deal Brown at this point:

Jaylen Brown

· Opposing executive on Brown: “That’s the guy we wanted to steal. Our thought was ‘They have (Jayson) Tatum and (Gordon) Hayward and drafted another wing, maybe they are out on Brown’ and boy were we wrong. The conversation got about as far as the ‘Jay’ sound out of my mouth and they said ‘Neither Jayson or Jaylen are on the table for you’. So, yeah. They love that kid.”

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/7/23/20707110/boston-celtics-notes-from-summer-league-kemba-walker-grant-williams-tacko-fall-carsen-edwards
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#37 » by Higgs Boston » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Why you don't create a thread where donovan mitchell or bogdanovic is traded for trash? this is exactly what you are doing but with the players of other teams.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#38 » by psman2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Higgs Boston wrote:Why you don't create a thread where donovan mitchell or bogdanovic is traded for trash? this is exactly what you are doing but with the players of other teams.

Two 1sts for a player that so far has never posted a positive BPM and played at replacement level last year is not some criminal underpay. Bogdanovic couldn't pull two 1sts either and Mitchell is on a different level than Brown.

Brown simply is not worth two 1sts with what he has shown and if he was actually worth those 2 1sts then Boston would be keeping him regardless since he would be a building piece for their future at that point.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#39 » by Higgs Boston » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 am

psman2 wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:Why you don't create a thread where donovan mitchell or bogdanovic is traded for trash? this is exactly what you are doing but with the players of other teams.

Two 1sts for a player that so far has never posted a positive BPM and played at replacement level last year is not some criminal underpay. Bogdanovic couldn't pull two 1sts either and Mitchell is on a different level than Brown.

Brown simply is not worth two 1sts with what he has shown and if he was actually worth those 2 1sts then Boston would be keeping him regardless since he would be a building piece for their future at that point.

- Advanced stats like bpm aren't representative, it's not so bad as most defensive stats but it's not something real, and using bpm he has positive bpm in the playoffs the last two session, pretty sure teams are focused and interested in RS and not in playoffs.
- Brown was a starter in the first quarter of the season and also in the playoffs.
- Of course he worth more than this garbage, go to find young players that did what he has done in the playoffs, you will find very few.
- He is a part of the core, Celtics will keep brown. celtics don't want to trade him.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#40 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Trading away the best player in a deal is seldom popular with fans or coaches or GMs. Brown is clearly the best player in the OP. While Ainge loves to collect 1sts, there is no way he trades Brown for this deal. Ainge collects those 1sts looking for players like Brown. If Brown never becomes the next GOAT, Boston can live with that. He fits a lot of slots and can & will play 2nd or 3rd option quite nicely.

On the other hand, without a doubt Houston would be getting a much better player and they are in a contend-now mode but ... as has been pointed out, Brown is not the ideal fit on their roster. This would be a nice deal for them, might be the best they can get IMO; but it just doesn't seem like the right deal for them. It's a future move more than a now move.

Return to Trades and Transactions