Nuggets to sign Bol Bol to a two-way contract [Singer]

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Nuggets to sign Bol Bol to a two-way contract [Singer] 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 pm

The Nuggets are trying to maintain flexibility by keeping the 15th guaranteed spot open heading into the preseason. The expectation is that second-round pick Bol Bol will sign a two-way contract, but nothing is official.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/12/nuggets-sign-pj-dozier/

Wow. From a projected top 5 pick a year ago, to now (expectedly) a two-way player. I feel so bad for Bol Bol.
#thevillain
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,779

Re: Nuggets to sign Bol Bol to two-way contract [Singer] 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Did he get a shoe deal or anything? He seems like a good kid, really unfortunate for him. Great for the Nuggets, though.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Re: Nuggets to sign Bol Bol to a two-way contract [Singer] 

Post#3 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Was his medical file that bad? Seems like the worst draft fall we have seen from a player ever.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:57 pm

he definitely should have returned to Oregon for his sophomore season (yeah I'm a Duck fan). If he would have stayed healthy and led the Ducks to a successful season next year, he would have been a 1st round pick in 2020 with the guaranteed millions. And he'd have had another year to develop his core strength.

and if he got injured again, the result wouldn't have been any worse than what has happened to him this year
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,779

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:he definitely should have returned to Oregon for his sophomore season (yeah I'm a Duck fan). If he would have stayed healthy and led the Ducks to a successful season next year, he would have been a 1st round pick in 2020 with the guaranteed millions. And he'd have had another year to develop his core strength.

and if he got injured again, the result wouldn't have been any worse than what has happened to him this year

I don't think anyone saw him falling this far, and particularly his camp.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:he definitely should have returned to Oregon for his sophomore season (yeah I'm a Duck fan). If he would have stayed healthy and led the Ducks to a successful season next year, he would have been a 1st round pick in 2020 with the guaranteed millions. And he'd have had another year to develop his core strength.

I think if he waited, many teams would've probably viewed it as one more year eliminated from what looks like a probably short career span. If he had another injury next year? I doubt he'd even be looking at a 2 way.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,674

Post#7 » by Domejandro » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:49 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Was his medical file that bad? Seems like the worst draft fall we have seen from a player ever.

Yes, that bad and worse.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 pm

So he should've went the Darius Bazley/Mitchell Robinson route?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:13 pm

The lack of interest in playing the game professionally ( immaturity /lack of work ethic) has also been a potential factor. But yeah not so much the injury history alone but the fact he cannot add significant required mass to his frame without further risk of foot injuries is why he dropped from where scouts assumed he could go if the medical info came back acceptable.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,514

Post#10 » by nomansland » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Domejandro wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Was his medical file that bad? Seems like the worst draft fall we have seen from a player ever.

Yes, that bad and worse.

Where'd you see that?
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#11 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:So he should've went the Darius Bazley/Mitchell Robinson route?

Seem like the smarter route for some top prospects. Get your endorsements going earlier and work on your game
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:

Seem like the smarter route for some top prospects. Get your endorsements going earlier and work on your game

They still have to go through medical testing before somebody is going to draft them...
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#13 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:

They still have to go through medical testing before somebody is going to draft them...

The idea is more so you won't get hurt playing meaningless games with nothing show for. If Bazely gotten hurt, he would of least already had an endorsement deal in place.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#14 » by DeathLineup » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 pm

nomansland wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

Yes, that bad and worse.

Where'd you see that?

Yeah I would like to know more. Have not seen any concrete proof of how ugly Bol's medical was.
#thevillain
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#15 » by pacers33granger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 pm

DeathLineup wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Yes, that bad and worse.

Where'd you see that?

Yeah I would like to know more. Have not seen any concrete proof of how ugly Bol's medical was.

Pretty sure most of the stuff out there is speculation, but the fact that he fell as far as he did and is only getting a 2 way deal speaks volumes. Any team in the league could have had him for basically just a small amount of cash and the vast majority didn't feel it was worth it.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Yeah last fall Bol was being touted as a top 5 or 10 player then woosh. He needs to work on getting stronger hopefully his body will respond.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm

I agree for the most part but if he can get healthy play in the G-League and play well he might get to move up to the Nugs and who knows what he might get if he really is healthy.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,514

Post#18 » by nomansland » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Where'd you see that?

Pretty sure most of the stuff out there is speculation, but the fact that he fell as far as he did and is only getting a 2 way deal speaks volumes. Any team in the league could have had him for basically just a small amount of cash and the vast majority didn't feel it was worth it.

The 2-way deal doesn't say a whole lot. I suspect the Nuggets were planning on red-shirting him anyway unless there was some really surprising progress.

Falling that far in the draft is another matter but it could have been an unwillingness to share medical records or something. Still, I'm wondering where the news of awful medical reports comes from because that's the first I'd heard it.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Seem like the smarter route for some top prospects. Get your endorsements going earlier and work on your game

The idea is more so you won't get hurt playing meaningless games with nothing show for. If Bazely gotten hurt, he would of least already had an endorsement deal in place.

maybe you look at it that way, but the reason so many players go through the college process is not only for exposure but because they can prove their skill is better than most NCAA level players and worthy of NBA considerations.
Bol is an exception due to his unusual length and offensive arsenal so if he had not played at all in college somebody calls him up around mid 1st range expecting to get a steal, but none would draft him there if he skipped the Combine and esp it's medical testing, skipped interviewing for a job which is what it is after all and tried to ride the hype train from his fathers legacy.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#20 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:31 am

Denver has proven they take care of their programs and with their roster, Bol would have seen very little PT at center and less at PF. This way he gets playing time; but I expected him on the Nuggets anyway. :oops:

Return to Trades and Transactions