IF You Had to Choose... Beal Goes Where?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who'd You Rather?

Nets
21%
Celtics
79%

Total votes: 42

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Re: IF You Had to Choose... Beal Goes Where? 

Post#21 » by NYG » Fri Sep 6, 2019 8:27 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
NYG wrote:Who else could/would join the Beal Sweepstakes?

Denver, Miami, Toronto?
Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans, Orlando, Oklahoma City if given the right start?

Washington? Get a front line talent who is young enough to be in his prime once their rebuild is finished. Might be a good fit if they can afford him.

Who is available to put around him and what would you trade for that player?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#22 » by penbeast0 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 8:32 pm

Put a healty PG John Wall, and C Thomas Bryant around him and hope that the most recent 1st rounders, SF Troy Brown and PF Rui Hachimura, become solid NBA starters.

Personally, I'm not enamored of a Bryant/Hachimura combo defensively but that seems to be the team thought process.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:16 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:WAS fans, I imagine I'll receive a healthy dose of vitriol from you for this thread. I am not asking you to OK either of these deals; I'm curious to know between the two, which stacks up as the better offer in your opinion. The outgoing packages would be Beal and Jones.

OFFER 1: BOSTON
Smart/Brown/Langford/Williams/20MEM1st/20MIL1st

OFFER 2: BROOKLYN
Dinwiddie/Harris/Prince/Allen/20DEN1st/20GSW1st

Please include reasoning like team fit, and whether you would do either deals. This isn't reserved for WAS fan feedback only, either; I want to hear from everyone! THANKS!

Boston offer is a overpay, the Nets offer is not enough. picks need to be better for WAS to move on from Beal.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,298

Post#24 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:49 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Put a healty PG John Wall, and C Thomas Bryant around him and hope that the most recent 1st rounders, SF Troy Brown and PF Rui Hachimura, become solid NBA starters.

Personally, I'm not enamored of a Bryant/Hachimura combo defensively but that seems to be the team thought process.

Neither guy will be great defenders right away because young players rarely are. But both guys have great length and great work ethic, two of the most important characteristics for being a good defender. I think both guys will be solid in time. Hachimura might pan out to be a really good defender.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#25 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:09 am

I want to see him in Milwaukee.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
penbeast0
And1: 8,667

Post#26 » by penbeast0 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:30 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I want to see him in Milwaukee.

I'd like to see Giannis in Washington. Would solve the whole who defends forwards problem though might not maximize John Wall that way.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#27 » by gom » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:32 am

You misspelled Miami.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#28 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:45 am

Would love to see Toronto get him but at the asking price of Pascal plus either multiple picks and Anunoby that's a tough pill to swallow. I wonder what the realistic package is if we kept Pascal
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,455

Post#29 » by jayjaysee » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:23 am

I really love Curry/Beal/Luka/KP/Maxi. Feels like a really poor mans Chalmers/Wade/Bron/Bosh. But obviously we aren’t trading for Beal.

I think the Boston offer is a lot more valuable than the Brooklyn offer.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#30 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Sep 7, 2019 4:38 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:OFFER 2: BROOKLYN
Dinwiddie/Harris/Prince/Allen/20DEN1st/20GSW1st

That Denver pick they own is a 2nd not a first. OKC owns Denver's 2020 first. You could put Philly's 2020 1st in there.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#31 » by nuposse04 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:23 pm

Boston if they Offer tatum, I have no interest whatsoever in brown. Overrated.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#32 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:31 pm

nuposse04 wrote:Boston if they Offer tatum, I have no interest whatsoever in brown. Overrated.

Boston won't offer Tatum for Beal. That's a complete non-starter.

I agree that Jaylen's reputation has gotten ahead of his trajectory, due to some impressive stretches of play. Nets fan feel similarly about Levert. Still, Brown is worthy to be the centerpiece of a Beal offer IMO. His impending RFA affects the value because he won't be cheap for long, but it's still club control.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#33 » by nuposse04 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Boston if they Offer tatum, I have no interest whatsoever in brown. Overrated.

I agree that Jaylen's reputation has gotten ahead of his trajectory, due to some impressive stretches of play. Nets fan feel similarly about Levert. Still, Brown is worthy to be the centerpiece of a Beal offer IMO. His impending RFA affects the value because he won't be cheap for long, but it's still club control.

Brown is a 3rd or 4th option on a contender. HE is a non starter. Try again.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#34 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:34 am

nuposse04 wrote:Brown is a 3rd or 4th option on a contender. HE is a non starter. Try again.

Don't take my word for it, just ask BOS fans. Make a thread on their board, or even here in the T&T board, as to whether Boston would include Jayson Tatum in trade talks for Beal.
-- Steve Martin
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#35 » by Claud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Celtics.

He's REALLY good but not good enough in my eyes.

I'd rather keep our chips because we never know when true superstars become available via trade.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,045

Post#36 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Brown is a 3rd or 4th option on a contender. HE is a non starter. Try again.

Don't take my word for it, just ask BOS fans. Make a thread on their board, or even here in the T&T board, as to whether Boston would include Jayson Tatum in trade talks for Beal.

Yeah there’s not a chance as an outsider imo. And they wouldn’t need to in order to put together a compelling package.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,487

Post#37 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

? He's 22 with still plenty of room to develope. He was the second option when Boston was a game from the finals, putting up 18/5 in his soph season. Not saying he'll be anything, but that seems premature. It took Beal four seasons to post a ts above 52%, were you calling him a 3rd or 4th option after his third season?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#38 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

Boston fans in general seem to be way overrating Brown's trade value. He is a great athlete. He's nowhere near a great basketball player. He's far from a decent centerpiece for a player like Beal. It's possible Brown will make great strides, but that has to happen first before his trade value gets up there. He didn't improve last season, so it's hard to assume he will this season or next.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#39 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:Boston fans in general seem to be way overrating Brown's trade value. He is a great athlete. He's nowhere near a great basketball player. He's far from a decent centerpiece for a player like Beal. It's possible Brown will make great strides, but that has to happen first before his trade value gets up there. He didn't improve last season, so it's hard to assume he will this season or next.

I would argue that most of the centerpieces of star trades over the last five years have involved young players that were not established Stars. Look at Brandon Ingram, he's certainly not an established star. He's put up better numbers than Jalyen, sure, but Davis is a far superior player to Beal as well. Oladipo was an overpaid role player when Indiana traded George for him, in retrospect it looks great but his value wasn't nearly as high at the time of the trade as it is now. The pick that became Sexton what's the key commodity from Boston in the trade that netted Irving, an actual All-NBA player. Chris Paul is a shell of his former self now, but when Houston traded for him, he was still a stud. It didn't cost them an arm and a leg. Butler was an impending free agent, but he ended up going for a bargain relative to people's expectation.

I say all that, and there are more cases if I wanted, to say that brown is not a bad example of a trade center piece for a fringe All-Star.
-- Steve Martin
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#40 » by nuposse04 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Boston won't offer Tatum for Beal. That's a complete non-starter.

? He's 22 with still plenty of room to develope. He was the second option when Boston was a game from the finals, putting up 18/5 in his soph season. Not saying he'll be anything, but that seems premature. It took Beal four seasons to post a ts above 52%, were you calling him a 3rd or 4th option after his third season?

He's basically Kelly Oubre with a little less tunnel vision and worse rebounding/man defense. Not someone I'm trying to overpay for when the time comes (and its coming). He's also going to be 23 pretty much as the season starts. And yah Beal wasn't ready to take on a larger role for a while, he shot wildly inconsistently and took a massive leap. I didn't think he would justify his max extension but he did. Just cause Beal took the leap doesn't mean brown will. Its a probability game, and not one I see Brown overcoming. Keep him.

Return to Trades and Transactions