Raptors-Spurs-Hornets

Moderators: pacers33granger, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Trader_Joe, loserX

User avatar
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 20,728
And1: 21,987
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#21 » by Duffman100 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:12 am

I don't want DeMar back in Toronto. Time to move on.
Def Leppard
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,997
And1: 1,048
Joined: May 27, 2013

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#22 » by Def Leppard » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:35 am

I kinda..... Like it

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,579
And1: 3,838
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#23 » by CoachD » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:17 pm

CoachD wrote:Zero desire to trade a 2 way center that was key to a title for Demar and his mid range chucks


It's funny how Raptors fans have all of a sudden seen the light on DeRozan after claiming for years that he didn't receive enough respect because he played in Toronto (despite having a bunch of accolades that he had no business receiving).[/quote]


Any Raptor fan with a brain was aware of what Demar was and wasn't.

The only disrespect came over things like not being ranked in the top 40, but immediately after being traded he's top 25. Literally switching markets increased his quality apparently.

He's a volume chucker who loves the mid range, and depends on pick and rolls, isos and free throws. All the nonsense from last sunmer that Pop was going to turn him into a good defender, was proven to be crap, and Demar just is what he is.

Thanks for memories, but this ship has sailed
Image
21 TD
Freshman
Posts: 93
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 12, 2019
 

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#24 » by 21 TD » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

CoachD wrote:Any Raptor fan with a brain was aware of what Demar was and wasn't.

The only disrespect came over things like not being ranked in the top 40, but immediately after being traded he's top 25. Literally switching markets increased his quality apparently.

He's a volume chucker who loves the mid range, and depends on pick and rolls, isos and free throws. All the nonsense from last sunmer that Pop was going to turn him into a good defender, was proven to be crap, and Demar just is what he is.

Thanks for memories, but this ship has sailed


Typical Raptors fan inferiority complex. If anything, the opposite happened because it's become increasingly fashionable in recent years to slobber over the Raptors and bash or ignore everything Spurs related that isn't Pop.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 15,321
And1: 11,987
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#25 » by mademan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 pm

21 TD wrote:Typical Raptors fan inferiority complex.


21 TD wrote: If anything, the opposite happened because it's become increasingly fashionable in recent years to slobber over the Raptors and bash or ignore everything Spurs related that isn't Pop.


These comments taken together is hilarious.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 9,620
And1: 6,186
Joined: Jun 23, 2015
Contact:
   

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#26 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:49 am

21 TD wrote:
CoachD wrote:Any Raptor fan with a brain was aware of what Demar was and wasn't.

The only disrespect came over things like not being ranked in the top 40, but immediately after being traded he's top 25. Literally switching markets increased his quality apparently.

He's a volume chucker who loves the mid range, and depends on pick and rolls, isos and free throws. All the nonsense from last sunmer that Pop was going to turn him into a good defender, was proven to be crap, and Demar just is what he is.

Thanks for memories, but this ship has sailed


Typical Raptors fan inferiority complex. If anything, the opposite happened because it's become increasingly fashionable in recent years to slobber over the Raptors and bash or ignore everything Spurs related that isn't Pop.


You don't get to do this. And no one else does either. Fanbase bashing is not allowed and if this thread goes down that path it will come to a swift and sudden end.
Image
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,579
And1: 3,838
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#27 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm

21 TD wrote:
CoachD wrote:Any Raptor fan with a brain was aware of what Demar was and wasn't.

The only disrespect came over things like not being ranked in the top 40, but immediately after being traded he's top 25. Literally switching markets increased his quality apparently.

He's a volume chucker who loves the mid range, and depends on pick and rolls, isos and free throws. All the nonsense from last sunmer that Pop was going to turn him into a good defender, was proven to be crap, and Demar just is what he is.

Thanks for memories, but this ship has sailed


Typical Raptors fan inferiority complex. If anything, the opposite happened because it's become increasingly fashionable in recent years to slobber over the Raptors and bash or ignore everything Spurs related that isn't Pop.


There's been no slobbering.

All I keep hearing from US based media is how this year's Raps wouldn't even make the playoffs in the West (pure nonsense) and that they ONLY won due to injury. Forget about ALL THE THINGS Toronto did throughout the season to put themselves in that position... it's only because the benchless Warriors had injured players.
Image
CatgutStitches
Junior
Posts: 278
And1: 165
Joined: Jun 27, 2015
     

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#28 » by CatgutStitches » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 pm

No thanks, surely we can get more than a mid-low 2nd for Marvin from a contender at the deadline. We have zero use for an extra 10 mil this season, we are already under the tax.
21 TD
Freshman
Posts: 93
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 12, 2019
 

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#29 » by 21 TD » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 pm

CoachD wrote:There's been no slobbering.

All I keep hearing from US based media is how this year's Raps wouldn't even make the playoffs in the West (pure nonsense) and that they ONLY won due to injury. Forget about ALL THE THINGS Toronto did throughout the season to put themselves in that position... it's only because the benchless Warriors had injured players.


Even before last season, I'd seen way more Raptors praise in the previous 3-4 years than I ever did for similar good-but-not-true-contenders type stretches this decade, such as the Hawks, Grizzlies, Pacers, Trail Blazers.

Almost everyone has them as a mid-tier playoff team, which in the West would equate to being in a jumble with many who could be anywhere from the equivalent to slightly out, because of the superior depth.
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,579
And1: 3,838
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#30 » by CoachD » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:36 am

21 TD wrote:
CoachD wrote:There's been no slobbering.

All I keep hearing from US based media is how this year's Raps wouldn't even make the playoffs in the West (pure nonsense) and that they ONLY won due to injury. Forget about ALL THE THINGS Toronto did throughout the season to put themselves in that position... it's only because the benchless Warriors had injured players.


Even before last season, I'd seen way more Raptors praise in the previous 3-4 years than I ever did for similar good-but-not-true-contenders type stretches this decade, such as the Hawks, Grizzlies, Pacers, Trail Blazers.

Almost everyone has them as a mid-tier playoff team, which in the West would equate to being in a jumble with many who could be anywhere from the equivalent to slightly out, because of the superior depth.



Where on earth did you see that?

All we ever hear from the US media is "ya but this chokes in the playoffs"

The ESPN talking heads would have you believe the Raps had the exact same roster and were swept in the first round every year

All last year... The Bucks, Celtics, Sixers and EVEN the PACERS (without Oladipo) were considered as teams that would to further than Toronto.
Image
21 TD
Freshman
Posts: 93
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 12, 2019
 

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#31 » by 21 TD » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:38 pm

CoachD wrote:
21 TD wrote:
CoachD wrote:There's been no slobbering.

All I keep hearing from US based media is how this year's Raps wouldn't even make the playoffs in the West (pure nonsense) and that they ONLY won due to injury. Forget about ALL THE THINGS Toronto did throughout the season to put themselves in that position... it's only because the benchless Warriors had injured players.


Even before last season, I'd seen way more Raptors praise in the previous 3-4 years than I ever did for similar good-but-not-true-contenders type stretches this decade, such as the Hawks, Grizzlies, Pacers, Trail Blazers.

Almost everyone has them as a mid-tier playoff team, which in the West would equate to being in a jumble with many who could be anywhere from the equivalent to slightly out, because of the superior depth.



Where on earth did you see that?

All we ever hear from the US media is "ya but this chokes in the playoffs"

The ESPN talking heads would have you believe the Raps had the exact same roster and were swept in the first round every year

All last year... The Bucks, Celtics, Sixers and EVEN the PACERS (without Oladipo) were considered as teams that would to further than Toronto.


Virtually everywhere, from TV to online. The organization and city are almost universally praised, yet the fan base continues to pretend otherwise.

So from '14-'18, people were supposed to pretend they had a championship ceiling?

Celtics were the off season consensus, then it was Raptors and Bucks throughout the regular season and finally Bucks (who had looked far more impressive in the playoffs) by the time the ECF commenced.

From the moment the trade happened, I never wavered on the Raptors winning the East.
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,579
And1: 3,838
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#32 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm

21 TD wrote:
CoachD wrote:
21 TD wrote:
Even before last season, I'd seen way more Raptors praise in the previous 3-4 years than I ever did for similar good-but-not-true-contenders type stretches this decade, such as the Hawks, Grizzlies, Pacers, Trail Blazers.

Almost everyone has them as a mid-tier playoff team, which in the West would equate to being in a jumble with many who could be anywhere from the equivalent to slightly out, because of the superior depth.



Where on earth did you see that?

All we ever hear from the US media is "ya but this chokes in the playoffs"

The ESPN talking heads would have you believe the Raps had the exact same roster and were swept in the first round every year

All last year... The Bucks, Celtics, Sixers and EVEN the PACERS (without Oladipo) were considered as teams that would to further than Toronto.


Virtually everywhere, from TV to online. The organization and city are almost universally praised, yet the fan base continues to pretend otherwise.

So from '14-'18, people were supposed to pretend they had a championship ceiling?

Celtics were the off season consensus, then it was Raptors and Bucks throughout the regular season and finally Bucks (who had looked far more impressive in the playoffs) by the time the ECF commenced.

From the moment the trade happened, I never wavered on the Raptors winning the East.



I can literally go on YouTube and post hundreds of links here from ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, etc of the talking heads talking about Toronto.

Less than 1% of them referred to Toronto as threats to win the title.

EVEN WHEN THEY ADVANCED TO THE FINALS, and the Warriors were without KD, they opened as MASSIVE underdogs in Vegas, and the media sentiment was, maybe it goes 6 games, but if KD was healthy it's a sweep.

Yes, everyone gushes about Toronto the city because, and I say this without hyperbole, it's the nicest city in North America. Period. I've been in almost every NBA / MLB / NHL city and lived in 4 major US markets. Toronto kicks the crap out of all of them in terms of city quality.

That's why every year, for 2 weeks in August, this city is FULL of NBA players (that have never been with the Raptors) partying it up.
Image
21 TD
Freshman
Posts: 93
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 12, 2019
 

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#33 » by 21 TD » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:37 pm

CoachD wrote:I can literally go on YouTube and post hundreds of links here from ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, etc of the talking heads talking about Toronto.

Less than 1% of them referred to Toronto as threats to win the title.

EVEN WHEN THEY ADVANCED TO THE FINALS, and the Warriors were without KD, they opened as MASSIVE underdogs in Vegas, and the media sentiment was, maybe it goes 6 games, but if KD was healthy it's a sweep.

Yes, everyone gushes about Toronto the city because, and I say this without hyperbole, it's the nicest city in North America. Period. I've been in almost every NBA / MLB / NHL city and lived in 4 major US markets. Toronto kicks the crap out of all of them in terms of city quality.

That's why every year, for 2 weeks in August, this city is FULL of NBA players (that have never been with the Raptors) partying it up.


Last season? That's not true. The Warriors were regarded as overwhelming favorites, with the Rockets, Celtics (Bucks quickly took their place) and Raptors, considered to be roughly equals in the next tier.

The only person I know of who was clearly anti-Raptors was Stephen A. Smith, but downplaying/ignoring non glamour U.S. markets is part of his shtick. The Warriors, even in their diminished state, being considered favorites, though foolish, wasn't anti-Raptors.

Vancouver is nicer than Toronto. But it's not just the city; people have been gushing about the organization for years. Ujiri and company clearly got in bed with many of the big wigs years ago in an attempt to raise their profile and it worked.
21 TD
Freshman
Posts: 93
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 12, 2019
 

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#34 » by 21 TD » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 pm

CoachD wrote:I can literally go on YouTube and post hundreds of links here from ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, etc of the talking heads talking about Toronto.

Less than 1% of them referred to Toronto as threats to win the title.

EVEN WHEN THEY ADVANCED TO THE FINALS, and the Warriors were without KD, they opened as MASSIVE underdogs in Vegas, and the media sentiment was, maybe it goes 6 games, but if KD was healthy it's a sweep.

Yes, everyone gushes about Toronto the city because, and I say this without hyperbole, it's the nicest city in North America. Period. I've been in almost every NBA / MLB / NHL city and lived in 4 major US markets. Toronto kicks the crap out of all of them in terms of city quality.

That's why every year, for 2 weeks in August, this city is FULL of NBA players (that have never been with the Raptors) partying it up.


Last season? That's not true. The Warriors were regarded as overwhelming favorites, with the Rockets, Celtics (Bucks quickly took their place) and Raptors, considered to be roughly equals in the next tier.

The only person I know of who was clearly anti-Raptors was Stephen A. Smith, but downplaying/ignoring non glamour U.S. markets is part of his shtick. The Warriors, even in their diminished state, being considered favorites, though foolish, was more so about not wanting to doubt them than it was an indictment of the Raptors.

Vancouver is nicer than Toronto. But it's not just the city; people have been gushing about the organization for years. Ujiri and company clearly got in bed with many of the big wigs years ago in an attempt to raise their profile and it worked.

Return to Trades and Transactions