Wolves-Knicks-Blazers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Re: Wolves-Knicks-Blazers 

Post#21 » by shrink » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:15 pm

expatbayern wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:
expatbayern wrote:Yeah, if PDX absorb Dieng instead of sending him to NYK and then get to hold onto Simons, I think there's a viable deal there.

Whiteside, Little, and the 1st for Covington and Dieng?

No thats not close. Its 2 late firsts essentially for Covington.

Absorbing Dieng is worth something like another first, and Whiteside has some value beyond his expiring. You could probably move him at the deadline for a couple 2nds or a minor prospect, maybe a late first if a contender gets desperate for an injury replacement.

So it's more like 3-4 firsts worth of value for Covington. If Minny thinks they'll get more than that at the deadline they could hold onto him, but I'm guessing it's not too long before he gets tired of playing babysitter on a losing team like Butler did.

Not to single you out, but we tend to generalize what it costs to move dead salary. There are two problems when we get specific.

First, what if the guy can play? Dieng is not just dead salary. Is the difference between one year of production for Whiteside at $27 mil worth a whole first rounder more than getting TWO years of Dieng for $6 mil more? Both are overpaid. In the end though, the change from Whiteside to Dieng - when the ridiculously-healthy Towns is going to use up the bulk of center minutes - downplays the value of either Whiteside or Dieng. If the bulk of their contribution is in the locker room, Dieng is far better than the hothead Whiteside.

Second, the Wolves aren’t the Clippers, trying to clear a year of salary so they can sign Paul George. LAC should offer a 1st to clear salary, but MIN should not, since they are no free agent destination. They would have better luck at finding talent by keeping their value, rather than use value to reinvest it in future cap space.

I see this deal as two late 1sts, and a meh change from Whiteside to Dieng. That may be all POR thinks Covington is worth, but I think he’s more valuable to the Wolves than this, and would not be surprised to see several other teams outbid this offer.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,662

Post#22 » by nedleeds » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Cklbmk wrote:Wolves out: Covington + Dieng
Wolves in: DSJ + Nassir Little + Marcus Morris

Knicks out: DSJ + Marcus Morris + Bobby Portis
Knicks in: Simons + Whiteside + +Blazers 2020 top 20 protected 1st(then 2 2nds) + Dieng

Blazers out: Simons + Little + Whiteside + 2020 top 20 protected 1st(then 2 2nds)
Blazers in: Covington + Bobby Portis

Wolves get a couple promising prospects and a stop gap for Covington. This gets them younger while keeping them competitive and cuts a year off Dieng

Knicks get a better prospect and a potential 1st for DSJ and guys they signed to trade.

Blazers go for it now assuming Nurkic comes back. Dame/Cj/Covington/Collins/Nurkic with Bazemore/Hood/Portis/Gasol off the bench gives them a great playoff lineup.

Who says no?

I like this for the Blazers. The Knicks however just drafted a 6' 4" SG who can't shoot at all in RJ Barrett. I think Simons can be a nice player but he's just Barrett, a year older (?) and right handed.

I do want to get anything resembling a 1st round pick for DSJ though. I think he's terrible. I want to start Frank and tank hard this year again and play all the young dudes.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#23 » by Mykhyn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:00 pm

nedleeds wrote:

Knicks in: Simons + Whiteside + +Blazers 2020 top 20 protected 1st(then 2 2nds) + Dieng

Blazers out: Simons + Little + Whiteside + 2020 top 20 protected 1st(then 2 2nds)

Wolves get a couple promising prospects and a stop gap for Covington. This gets them younger while keeping them competitive and cuts a year off Dieng

Knicks get a better prospect and a potential 1st for DSJ and guys they signed to trade.

Blazers go for it now assuming Nurkic comes back. Dame/Cj/Covington/Collins/Nurkic with Bazemore/Hood/Portis/Gasol off the bench gives them a great playoff lineup.

Who says no?

I like this for the Blazers. The Knicks however just drafted a 6' 4" SG who can't shoot at all in RJ Barrett. I think Simons can be a nice player but he's just Barrett, a year older (?) and right handed.

I do want to get anything resembling a 1st round pick for DSJ though. I think he's terrible. I want to start Frank and tank hard this year again and play all the young dudes.

Barrett is listed at 6'7. They shouldn't have trouble playing next to each other.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,662

Post#24 » by nedleeds » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

Who says no?

Barrett is listed at 6'7. They shouldn't have trouble playing next to each other.

RJ is a shooting guard. I'm 6' 5" if he's 6' 7". Knox is our baby 19 year old small forward. The Knicks also have Dotson and Trier at SG. Knox at SF. Adding Simons will be useless, he's just another young guy who needs lots of playing time to improve who won't get the playing time to improve. It makes no sense to have another 19 year old rotting on our bench while our clown car coaching staff drools over Marcus Morris.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#25 » by SmokeyPaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm

expatbayern wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:
expatbayern wrote:Yeah, if PDX absorb Dieng instead of sending him to NYK and then get to hold onto Simons, I think there's a viable deal there.

No thats not close. Its 2 late firsts essentially for Covington.

Absorbing Dieng is worth something like another first, and Whiteside has some value beyond his expiring. You could probably move him at the deadline for a couple 2nds or a minor prospect, maybe a late first if a contender gets desperate for an injury replacement.

So it's more like 3-4 firsts worth of value for Covington. If Minny thinks they'll get more than that at the deadline they could hold onto him, but I'm guessing it's not too long before he gets tired of playing babysitter on a losing team like Butler did.

Well, I'll disagree with your valuation from the wolves perspective. You are valuing a swap of whiteside and dieng as being worth close to 2 1sts. But to Minn, considering our context, its not worth even a first to the wolves.

While I agree it would likely cost a 1st to move dieng, its not worth a 1st to the wolves. Wolves are unlikely to need the space in 2020 - we've basically been limited to overpaying 3rd tier FAs ( teague, gibson). And if they did want the space it should be easier and cheaper to move him in the off season when he is an expiring.

I also doubt that you can move a half year of whiteside for a 1st or 2 2nds without taking a worse contract back. He's overpaid at this point.

But the main point is that the trade moves Minn's 2nd best player, when we are under zero pressure to do so, for back up quality stuff. Adding more back up quality stuff doesnt fix the issue. Rosas would want a much better lead asset coming back. He can wait.
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#26 » by deadfeather » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 am

Portland makes outlike bandits here. This package might get Chandler Parsons but definitely not Covington.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,337

Post#27 » by JRoy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 am

Chandler Parsons is straight trash.

The big variable is Simons; some value his potential very highly, some don’t.

Seems more likely this sort of package brings back a disgruntled star and no evidence Covington is either. Hes a high quality plug in and play Roleplayer that fits pretty much anywhere.

The T Wolves are bottom feeders again and need to build through the draft and smart trades.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,654

Post#28 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:31 pm

JRoy wrote:Chandler Parsons is straight trash.

Seems more likely this sort of package brings back a disgruntled star and no evidence Covington is either. Hes a high quality plug in and play Roleplayer that fits pretty much anywhere.

The T Wolves are bottom feeders agJust ignore Deadfeather as he is a Blazer haterin and need to build through the draft and smart trades.

Just ignore Deadfeather as he is a Blazer hater
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,337

Post#29 » by JRoy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
JRoy wrote:Chandler Parsons is straight trash.

The T Wolves are bottom feeders agJust ignore Deadfeather as he is a Blazer haterin and need to build through the draft and smart trades.

Just ignore Deadfeather as he is a Blazer hater

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The TWolves have been disappointing. Wiggins is among the worst contracts in the league and they don’t have many assets to move to improve. It takes 2 to tango, so Minny needs to offer something with value to improve their future outlook.

Minny wants to keep RC and I would too if he were on my team. He is the kind of player all teams covet.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#30 » by Soulyss » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Domejandro wrote:
expatbayern wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Cut out New York, and I'd be willing to talk.

Yeah, if PDX absorb Dieng instead of sending him to NYK and then get to hold onto Simons, I think there's a viable deal there.

Simons being taken out of the deal is a deal-breaker.

I think the problem is, when included he's the deal breaker on the other side.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,942

Post#31 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

RJ is a shooting guard. I'm 6' 5" if he's 6' 7". Knox is our baby 19 year old small forward. The Knicks also have Dotson and Trier at SG. Knox at SF. Adding Simons will be useless, he's just another young guy who needs lots of playing time to improve who won't get the playing time to improve. It makes no sense to have another 19 year old rotting on our bench while our clown car coaching staff drools over Marcus Morris.

This is some top shelf melancholia.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Trades and Transactions