Suns-Hawks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Suns-Hawks 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 pm

Suns send: Baynes, Johnson
Hawks send: Turner, Bembry

Why for Atlanta? They get more of a traditional backup PG and a center that makes losing Dedmon easier to stomache as well as makes them avoid rushing a rookie.

Why for Phoenix? They get a dynamic backup wing in Bembry for two guys that likely won't be on the team next year. Getting Turner also helps in a secondary playmaking role behind Rubio and potentially Booker.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Re: Suns-Hawks 

Post#2 » by Crives » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Not completely opposed to moving these two for PHX... but we do see a lot of value in keeping these two around. Both guys are great locker room / cultural vets... I think Baynes can be big for Aytons development.

But regardless of value in keeping these two... I would much rather have Tyler and Baynes over turner and Bembry. This would leave us with no backup center or pg and a logjam again on the wing.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 1, 2019 11:24 am

Interesting trade - Baynes doesn't fit in Phoenix's timeline and he could help Atlanta for sure. IMO that may be the fact that makes Atlanta want to make this trade. Johnson might fit quite nicely as well.

Phoenix probably doesn't care about Turner - he doesn't fit their timeline any more than Baynes does. Bembry might be interesting to Phoenix but they already have a couple of similar players. So I'm not sure what their motive for this deal might be, unless, as the OP suggested, those players similar to Bembry are not what Phoenix is looking for.
Crives
General Manager

Post#4 » by Crives » Tue Oct 1, 2019 12:43 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Interesting trade - Baynes doesn't fit in Phoenix's timeline and he could help Atlanta for sure. IMO that may be the fact that makes Atlanta want to make this trade. Johnson might fit quite nicely as well.

Phoenix probably doesn't care about Turner - he doesn't fit their timeline any more than Baynes does. Bembry might be interesting to Phoenix but they already have a couple of similar players. So I'm not sure what their motive for this deal might be, unless, as the OP suggested, those players similar to Bembry are not what Phoenix is looking for.

If Baynes doesn’t fit PHX timeline he definitely doesn’t fit Atlanta’s
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:28 pm

Crives wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Interesting trade - Baynes doesn't fit in Phoenix's timeline and he could help Atlanta for sure. IMO that may be the fact that makes Atlanta want to make this trade. Johnson might fit quite nicely as well.

True statement, but Atlanta doesn't really have two centers they can rely on. Damian Jones is more of a forward but he's tall enough to play center. But he only played in half their games last year and only average 12 minutes.

Phoenix on the other hand, after trading Baynes would still have Ayton & Kaminsky. I'm not certain how far they'd trust Kaminsky but at least he's a true center and Phoenix would be playing two young centers during a year when making the playoffs is just a hope (possible, but unlikely). So in my mind it all comes down to what Phoenix has/wants at SF.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#6 » by Frank Lee » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:35 pm

Suns say no and keep TJohnson's chunky expiring for another/better deal. Suns dont need wings with Booker, Oubre, Bridges, and rook Cam Johnson.

If / When a healthy Love is tabled, look for Phnx to be interested. Whether fans endorse it or not has no bearing on the bro-mance between Love and James Jones. They will need salary to package with a pick
What ? Me Worry ?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#7 » by pacers33granger » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:52 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Suns say no and keep TJohnson's chunky expiring for another/better deal. Suns dont need wings with Booker, Oubre, Bridges, and rook Cam Johnson.

If / When a healthy Love is tabled, look for Phnx to be interested. Whether fans endorse it or not has no bearing on the bro-mance between Love and James Jones. They will need salary to package with a pick

Turner's expiring is only $600k less than Johnson's. And if you need more expiring money I'm sure Atlanta would gladly sub Parsons in for Turner here.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#8 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:56 am

Johnson was a beast in Miami, but he seems to have bottomed out a tad. He would be a nice backup to Trae. Bembry is obviously the player with the most value in this deal I'd assume. I'm a fan not just cause he plays for Atl, but his style of play.

He's similar to Marcus Smart overall especially with the poor shooting and pesky defending. But Bembry has a higher offensive ceiling which is still not much to write home about.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#9 » by giberish » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:08 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
Crives wrote:

True statement, but Atlanta doesn't really have two centers they can rely on. Damian Jones is more of a forward but he's tall enough to play center. But he only played in half their games last year and only average 12 minutes.

Phoenix on the other hand, after trading Baynes would still have Ayton & Kaminsky. I'm not certain how far they'd trust Kaminsky but at least he's a true center and Phoenix would be playing two young centers during a year when making the playoffs is just a hope (possible, but unlikely). So in my mind it all comes down to what Phoenix has/wants at SF.

?????
Jones is a true center. He's not a PF at all. He's not very good but his only position is center. If Atlanta was trying to win this year they should find a better backup, but if Atlanta was trying to win they wouldn't be pretending Evan Turner is a PG (or taking on all the EC filler for more/better draft picks).

Meanwhile Kaminsky really isn't a center. Or at least he's a PF/C - certainly much more of a PF then Damian Jones. Of course he's also not very good either. Since Phoenix is trying more to be respectable (adding Rubio and Saric to fill clear holes), having a solid backup C in Baynes is a better fit for the Suns (who are mixing some useful vets in with their youth) then the Hawks.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:55 am

giberish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Crives wrote:

?????
Jones is a true center. He's not a PF at all. He's not very good but his only position is center. If Atlanta was trying to win this year they should find a better backup, but if Atlanta was trying to win they wouldn't be pretending Evan Turner is a PG (or taking on all the EC filler for more/better draft picks).

Meanwhile Kaminsky really isn't a center. Or at least he's a PF/C - certainly much more of a PF then Damian Jones. Of course he's also not very good either. Since Phoenix is trying more to be respectable (adding Rubio and Saric to fill clear holes), having a solid backup C in Baynes is a better fit for the Suns (who are mixing some useful vets in with their youth) then the Hawks.

Okay, I'll disagree but only a little. This trade wasn't really about centers anyway. Most of the other posters were focused on Bembry. My original response indicated "Atlanta might want to make this trade" - looking at Baynes' fit and the OP's suggestion regarding Johnson. Then notice that I wasn't so sure Phoenix would be interested. Somone else suggested Bembry might be better than what the Suns have so ...

In most posters' minds, including mine. This deal wasn't about centers and I may have looked at it incorrectly, but I'm not too sure about that.
Interesting trade - Baynes doesn't fit in Phoenix's timeline and he could help Atlanta for sure. IMO that may be the fact that makes Atlanta want to make this trade. Johnson might fit quite nicely as well.

Crives
General Manager

Post#11 » by Crives » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:22 pm

How do you rank these 4 in terms of contributions to winning for next year?

I probably would go

1. Aron Baynes
2. Tyler Johnson
3. Evan Turner
4. Bembry

..... when you lay it out like this I don’t see why the suns would be interested...
especially when this moves two of the “vet leaders” on the suns, creating more turmoil and creating holes/log jams on the suns depth chart.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#12 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:28 pm

Crives wrote:How do you rank these 4 in terms of contributions to winning for next year?

I probably would go

1. Aron Baynes
2. Tyler Johnson
3. Evan Turner
4. Bembry

..... when you lay it out like this I don’t see why the suns would be interested...
especially when this moves two of the “vet leaders” on the suns, creating more turmoil and creating holes/log jams on the suns depth chart.

I may be crazy but I have it as:

1.) Turner (if in right role which in Phoenix or Atlanta is plausible)
2.) Baynes
3.) Johnson
4.) Bembry

But Bembry is a potential/project guy. Turner is a good player but he's been miscast and with an awful fitting team in Portland all these years.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:55 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:

2.) Baynes
3.) Johnson
4.) Bembry

But Bembry is a potential/project guy. Turner is a good player but he's been miscast and with an awful fitting team in Portland all these years.

I'd agree with this list (though may have Baynes first) and think Johnson's contributions are being very overrated in here. He's been a below average shooter his entire career and really does nothing well. Ideally, he's a 4th and maybe 5th guard. Just so happens he's paid as if he's a lead guard.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#14 » by giberish » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:14 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

2.) Baynes
3.) Johnson
4.) Bembry

I'd agree with this list (though may have Baynes first) and think Johnson's contributions are being very overrated in here. He's been a below average shooter his entire career and really does nothing well. Ideally, he's a 4th and maybe 5th guard. Just so happens he's paid as if he's a lead guard.

I'd put Baynes over Turner or Johnson. I'd have Turner over Johnson in general, but Johnson's a little more of a PG, so for a backup PG role they're about even (though I don't really like either one as a backup PG as Johnson's a 10th to 12th man who's best at SG and Turner's a 8th to 10th man who's a SG/SF).

I don't really know about Bembry but Phoenix still has extra wings so he doesn't seem like much of a target for them.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#15 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:42 pm

Hawks really like Bembry, he's a swiss army knife kinda player, not great at any one thing but He can play the 1, 2, 3 on both offense (can handle and run the offense, quick enough to get to the rim but had difficulty finishing in early part of season, got better as season went on, his 3pt shooting needs a lot of work) and defense. Coach Pierce especially loves his defense at those 3 spots.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#16 » by Saberestar » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:31 am

jayu70 wrote:Hawks really like Bembry, he's a swiss army knife kinda player, not great at any one thing but He can play the 1, 2, 3 on both offense (can handle and run the offense, quick enough to get to the rim but had difficulty finishing in early part of season, got better as season went on, his 3pt shooting needs a lot of work) and defense. Coach Pierce especially loves his defense at those 3 spots.

Yeah, I think that Bembry makes more sense and is much needed on the Hawks. I expect him to play around 20 mpg...but on the Suns he wouldn't have the opportunity to see the floor. Booker, Oubre, Bridges and Cam Johnston fill the SG/SF spots.

The Suns say no to this trade. They need Tyler Johnson and Aron Baynes to be competitive this season.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,565

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:13 am

Bembry looks to me like the type of guy available for a mid to late 2nd, not the type of guy that you trade two semi useful players for.

If the Hawks are indeed really high on him, they should lock him up to an extension versus letting him play this year and drive up his value.

Return to Trades and Transactions