Boston - Sacramento

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,261

Boston - Sacramento 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 12:08 am

Sacramento trades: Bogdan Bogdanovic, Harry Giles
Boston trades: Jaylen Brown, filler, 2 2nds

Boston gets a sharp-shooter to play off of Kemba, and a young center to bolster their front-court depth and hopefully grow with Tatum.

Sacramento trades for a player that fits their depth chart a bit better. Brown can take some backup shooting guard minutes, and also start at the three when Bagley is playing center, or be the first player off the bench when he isn't.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: Boston - Sacramento 

Post#2 » by Mykhyn » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:18 am

It's interesting. Doubt Boston adds 2nds to this especially after adding filler. But it's definitely an interesting idea.. Main problem I see is Bogdan will be needing nearly as much money as Jaylen.

I do like the Giles fit though
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,933

Post#3 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:42 am

I think Sac needs to add a 1st here. I don't think I do it if I'm Boston unless I've been underwhelmed by Brown.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#4 » by meekrab » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:57 am

I'm no salary cap guru but at a quick glance the only "filler"s Boston has that makes salaries match are Kanter or Theis, and they're both too good to be used as filler.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#5 » by Sactowndog » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:38 am

I don’t think Boston has filler. I think something might be possible as the trade deadline approaches and both players have most of a third year to judge their potential.

From Boston’s standpoint they will make a call if Brown as star potential or is he really a 3 and D complimentary player (yes?). Also is Romeo Langford project to be what they hope (no?).

From the King’s perspective, do Bogdan and Buddy both project as starting 2’s (yes?) and too much money to pay both for the same role. Does Wenyon Gabriel continue his progression as a 3 and D type player (no).

If the parenthetical answers all are true then I think a Bogdan/Brown centered trade at the all-star break might make sense. Brown and Bogi can be traded straight up.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#6 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:16 am

I might do Jaylen for Hield/Giles, as a Boston fan - like Buddy but he turns 27 in December. Would think more about it if Hield went to a third team, like -

Jaylen to SAC
Buddy to Indiana
Sabonis and Giles to Boston
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:36 am

babyjax13 wrote:Sacramento trades: Bogdan Bogdanovic, Harry Giles

Boston gets a sharp-shooter to play off of Kemba, and a young center to bolster their front-court depth and hopefully grow with Tatum.

Sacramento trades for a player that fits their depth chart a bit better. Brown can take some backup shooting guard minutes, and also start at the three when Bagley is playing center, or be the first player off the bench when he isn't.

I think bogs is a better player then brown who fits better as well. he also isnt due the payday brown is,
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#8 » by becorz » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:49 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I might do Jaylen for Hield/Giles, as a Boston fan - like Buddy but he turns 27 in December. Would think more about it if Hield went to a third team, like -

Jaylen to SAC
Buddy to Indiana
Sabonis and Giles to Boston

Trading Buddy is a no go for the Kings. He is part of the core and won't be traded for anything short of a star.

Prokorov wrote:

I think bogs is a better player then brown who fits better as well. he also isnt due the payday brown is,

Are you sure Bogi won't get $20+ million as a restricted FA this year? It think that is possible.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:

If he's the better player he will get similar offers. I know the age difference is a thing, but contracts should be similar.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:02 pm

Sacramento just might make this deal. Brown can fill Bogdanovic's role and a little more. He'd be a nice fit in their long-term core. Plus they have enough young bigs they can afford to trade Giles. The reason they might not do it is because they are giving up a solid rotation player and a young big with potential. It seems like they are over-paying by a bit - or at least they could argue that. (I like Brown enough I think they should take this deal.)

Boston might make this deal even though they are trading the best player in the deal (which I think seldom works out since this league is built on "best player"). They'd still have Hayward & Tatum & Ojeleye, all three of whom are probably best suited to play SF and that's Brown's best slot IMO. In other words, they can afford to trade him. They are probably not interested in adding much value though and even second round picks have value.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#11 » by Coeur » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:00 pm

I’ve liked Jaylen brown to Kings for a while.

Boston’s in a bad spot. They don’t have a very tradable roster. So that’s going to limit what they can get out of brown. Or they can end up with 3 30 million dollar a year players at the same spot AND Kemba? Uhhh

I thought and still do that Celtics have to do something for a big guy or they’re not going to be competitive. If it weren’t for the huge number Steven Adams would be so perfect for them. You just can’t give up GH right now.

Steven Adams for brown and Smart?
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#12 » by becorz » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:27 pm

What is Jaylen Brown's reputation when it comes to being a gym rat? It seems the Kings are trying to build a culture around players who do nothing but play basketball. Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley, Giles, Bogi....all those guys are around basketball every moment of their lives. I've read elsewhere that Brown "has other interests outside of basketball". If that means he is not a "gym rat", then I don't think that Vlade would target him. But maybe I'm wrong.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#13 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:10 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

Sacramento just might make this deal. Brown can fill Bogdanovic's role and a little more. He'd be a nice fit in their long-term core. Plus they have enough young bigs they can afford to trade Giles. The reason they might not do it is because they are giving up a solid rotation player and a young big with potential. It seems like they are over-paying by a bit - or at least they could argue that. (I like Brown enough I think they should take this deal.)

Boston might make this deal even though they are trading the best player in the deal (which I think seldom works out since this league is built on "best player"). They'd still have Hayward & Tatum & Ojeleye, all three of whom are probably best suited to play SF and that's Brown's best slot IMO. In other words, they can afford to trade him. They are probably not interested in adding much value though and even second round picks have value.

Boston can afford to give away the best player in the deal because they have Semi Ojeleye for depth..?

I’m just surprised a Kings fan is willing to trade away Giles..
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:42 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Boston can afford to give away the best player in the deal because they have Semi Ojeleye for depth..?

I’m just surprised a Kings fan is willing to trade away Giles..

Who is a Kings fan? The OP was a Boston fan, right? With a name like "NuggetsWY" - you're probably not talking about me. I just re-read all the posts and don't see any Kings fans jumping in saying "trade Giles".

Why did you bother to jump on "Ojeley for depth"? You totally ignored that if they trade Brown, they will still have Hayward & Tatum & Ojeleye - he'd be their third SF. (Bolded above)

If you are trying to pick a fight, find someone else. I'll only respond to that bait once in this thread.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#15 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:42 pm

I’m not “picking a fight” - I just think that bit of logic is flawed - when teams have depth at the 2 and 3, that doesn’t mean they’ll give a player away.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:10 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If he's the better player he will get similar offers. I know the age difference is a thing, but contracts should be similar.

age and draft stock seems to be huge when it comes your first deal off your rookie scale. i think bogs will get something closer to levert and brown closer to barnes or gordon
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:11 pm

becorz wrote:What is Jaylen Brown's reputation when it comes to being a gym rat? It seems the Kings are trying to build a culture around players who do nothing but play basketball. Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley, Giles, Bogi....all those guys are around basketball every moment of their lives. I've read elsewhere that Brown "has other interests outside of basketball". If that means he is not a "gym rat", then I don't think that Vlade would target him. But maybe I'm wrong.

he seems like a hard worker... but culture wise he wasnt accepting of his role and had issues with multiple vets
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,989

Post#18 » by cl2117 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:41 pm

I'd pass and roll the dice on Brown, but think I'd consider it longer if I had a better idea of the contracts they get this summer. Bogi I think will get paid more than people think. Jaylen has the potential to be MASSIVELY overpaid as an RFA though, which is worrying.

becorz wrote:What is Jaylen Brown's reputation when it comes to being a gym rat? It seems the Kings are trying to build a culture around players who do nothing but play basketball. Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley, Giles, Bogi....all those guys are around basketball every moment of their lives. I've read elsewhere that Brown "has other interests outside of basketball". If that means he is not a "gym rat", then I don't think that Vlade would target him. But maybe I'm wrong.

He's a definitely a gym rat and a freak athlete. He's known for being a smart guy, he's really into chess and he's the youngest VP on the NBPA. I don't think it's like the interests he has off the court would be a distraction or a negative.

Brown seems dedicated and smart, so if it's possible to will himself into being a better player I think he can. I just think it's really rare for guys to be able to drastically improve in some of the areas he has to in order to be a max level player, which in my opinion are shooting/ ball handling and court vision. I think it's possible, but I don't see those as areas where you can just will it normally (as opposed to working the boards/defense, which I think are more effort areas comparatively).

Prokorov wrote:he seems like a hard worker... but culture wise he wasnt accepting of his role and had issues with multiple vets

You mean he had issues with Kyrie, which is the equivalent of just saying he's been on the same team as Kyrie. He had brief issues with Morris, but Mook said it was nothing.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:53 pm

cl2117 wrote:I'd pass and roll the dice on Brown, but think I'd consider it longer if I had a better idea of the contracts they get this summer. Bogi I think will get paid more than people think. Jaylen has the potential to be MASSIVELY overpaid as an RFA though, which is worrying.

He's a definitely a gym rat and a freak athlete. He's known for being a smart guy, he's really into chess and he's the youngest VP on the NBPA. I don't think it's like the interests he has off the court would be a distraction or a negative.

Brown seems dedicated and smart, so if it's possible to will himself into being a better player I think he can. I just think it's really rare for guys to be able to drastically improve in some of the areas he has to in order to be a max level player, which in my opinion are shooting/ ball handling and court vision. I think it's possible, but I don't see those as areas where you can just will it normally (as opposed to working the boards/defense, which I think are more effort areas comparatively).

Prokorov wrote:he seems like a hard worker... but culture wise he wasnt accepting of his role and had issues with multiple vets

You mean he had issues with Kyrie, which is the equivalent of just saying he's been on the same team as Kyrie. He had brief issues with Morris, but Mook said it was nothing.

he had issues with morris, hayward, and baynes. he also was unaccepting of his role
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#20 » by Resistance » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:19 pm

If Brown was unhappy coming off the bench with Boston, why would he be happy coming off the bench with the Kings?

If Bagley, Giles, Dedmon, Bjelica and Holmes are eating most of the minutes at PF and Center, then Barnes will have most of his minutes at SF and Hield will be starting at SG. Brown will be coming off the bench to cover minutes at SG and SF similar to his situation last season in Boston. The Kings are also paying Ariza $12.2 million this season, so they need to find minutes for him at SF and PF to justify that contract.

If one of the reasons for Sacramento to trade Bogdanovic is because they don't want to have him as an expensive bench player next season, then the logical move is to trade him for either a lesser player on a friendly contract or trade for a lesser player with an expiring contract and a draft pick so Sacramento can keep the team salary under control. A trade with the core part as Brown for Bogdanovich still leaves the Kings in the same situation of potentially having an expensive backup on the bench next season.

Return to Trades and Transactions