Blazers/Grizzlies

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Blazers/Grizzlies 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:03 pm

Bazemore
Skal
2020 POR 1st (top ten for 3 years then 2 2nds)
2022 POR 2nd
for

Iggy
Crowder

Grizzles combine a couple of vets to get more picks.

Blazers get a couple of veteran wing defenders with plenty of playoff experience.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Re: Blaers/Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:22 pm

I think Bazemore (at this point) is a better player than Iggy, and I don't see Portland locking up their pick as a trade asset for so long to get two players that could be gone at the end of the year (and who might not really help them)?

If they like Crowder, maybe Skal+Hezonja+Trent later in the season?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#3 » by Mykhyn » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:32 pm

I love Iggy fit on Portland

I just cant convince myself Iggy is worth a 1st from a team in the west. Too many teams expect to make the playoffs and if they dont thats like a 11-14 pick
Texas Chuck

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:36 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
I just cant convince myself Iggy is worth a 1st from a team in the west.

Yeah I don't either. Hence me trying to double down and also get Crowder another guy who could help a contender but isn't worth a first either.

Could also tighten up the protections perhaps.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#5 » by Mykhyn » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:39 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
I just cant convince myself Iggy is worth a 1st from a team in the west.

Yeah I don't either. Hence me trying to double down and also get Crowder another guy who could help a contender but isn't worth a first either.

Could also tighten up the protections perhaps.

I gotta imagine they'd do a lotto protected 1st. I feel like thatd be like 20th at best if they make the playoffs.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I think Bazemore (at this point) is a better player than Iggy, and I don't see Portland locking up their pick as a trade asset for so long to get two players that could be gone at the end of the year (and who might not really help them)?

Unfortunately, Memphis is interested in nothing but FRPs only. You may attach bad assets though.
FK NFL
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Blazers/Grizzlies 

Post#7 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:42 pm

I'd do it if the pick was top 20, top 20, top 20 then 2 2nds
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#8 » by BullyKing » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:46 pm

E S V L wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I think Bazemore (at this point) is a better player than Iggy, and I don't see Portland locking up their pick as a trade asset for so long to get two players that could be gone at the end of the year (and who might not really help them)?

Unfortunately, Memphis is interested in nothing but FRPs only. You may attach bad assets though.

We hear this from every rebuilding team. And the only team that I can remember actually more or less standing by it looked like a fool for doing so.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#9 » by E S V L » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:58 pm

BullyKing wrote:
E S V L wrote:

We hear this from every rebuilding team. And the only team that I can remember actually more or less standing by it looked like a fool for doing so.

So you think Memphis is a fool to pass on Skai, Hezonja, or Trent as a return for Crowder and Igoudala?

Seriously?
FK NFL
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:01 pm

POR out: Whiteside, Baze, Little, Trent Jr, 2020 POR 1st lotto prot, 2022 1st top 20 prot
POR in: Gallo, Iggy, Roberson, Crowder, Noel

MEM out: Iggy, Crowder, Plumlee
MEM in: Whiteside, Trent Jr, 2022 POR 1st top 20 prot

OKC out: Gallo, Roberson, Noel
OKC in: Bazemore, Plumlee, Little, 2020 POR 1st lotto prot

Lillard/Simons
CJ/Hood/Mario
Iggy/Crowder/Roberson
Gallo/Collins/Tolliver
Nurk/Noel/Pau

That team is insanely deep and enough so to absorb the injury risks with Iggy, Gallo, Nurk. And Iggy/Crowder/Roberson are some pretty tough wing defenders for Bron/Kawhi/PG in the West.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:06 pm

I would be interested in Crowder + Anyone for Herzonja or Tolliver + Gary Trent Jr + Skal Labissiere. I would not attach a FRP. I want that used in a larger deal.

Kent Bazemore + FRP for Danilo Gallinari
Mario Herzonja + Skal Labissiere + Gary Trent Jr for Jae Crowder

PG - Damian Lillard (34) / Anfernee Simons (14)
SG - CJ McCollum (34) / Rodney Hood (8) / Anfernee Simons (6)
SF - Jae Crowder (24) / Rodney Hood (16) / Danilo Gallinari (8) / Nassir Little
PF - Danilo Gallinari (20) / Zach Collins (28) / Anthony Tolliver
C - Jusuf Nurkic (24) / Hassan Whiteside (24) / Pau Gasol
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:19 pm

Closer to the deadline, assuming that Nurkic is back, I could see this for Whiteside and a first.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,615

Post#13 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:20 pm

Make that pick lottery protected and I think this is a good deal for both teams. Portland's biggest need for years has been capable 2-way wings and this solves that instantly. Grizz get good value for two guys who don't figure into their future plans anyways.
Texas Chuck

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:39 pm

E S V L wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
E S V L wrote:

So you think Memphis is a fool to pass on Skai, Hezonja, or Trent as a return for Crowder and Igoudala?

Seriously?

I'm not sure that's what he's saying exactly. But I think he's saying the asking price today can certainly be a first round pick, but if your price is that or nothing, be prepared to accept nothing. And probably buy Iggy out at the deadline. I think he's referencing the Hawks from a couple years ago who looked really silly by:

demanding 1sts for players who were never going to return one
when the deadline passed and they kept them, telling everyone it was because we value their vet leadership
shortly after that reaching buyouts on said players.

Now I think Iggy+Crowder for a whole season is worth a late 1st obviously. But others may few them differently. And they have some justification. Utah could have tossed in Exum to match salary but chose Crowder. GSW paid Memphis to take Iggy. So they were both dealt this off-season and sorta set a market(obviously GSW had different motivations, but if he had 1st round value a team with cap space likely would have taken him for free, right?).
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,523

Post#15 » by shrink » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:46 pm

I like the deal for both with pick protections. Good job, TC.

One other bonus for POR. If they get Crowder and Iguodala, that means their competitors do not. The Blazers aren’t the only contender with a pretty big hole at SF.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,819

Post#16 » by psman2 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 9:00 pm

Fine with even top 20 protection since that is likely where the pick lands. I think something like this or bringing back longer contracts is the only where we sniff a 1st for a Iggy trade.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#17 » by BullyKing » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:18 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
E S V L wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Seriously?

I'm not sure that's what he's saying exactly. But I think he's saying the asking price today can certainly be a first round pick, but if your price is that or nothing, be prepared to accept nothing. And probably buy Iggy out at the deadline. I think he's referencing the Hawks from a couple years ago who looked really silly by:

when the deadline passed and they kept them, telling everyone it was because we value their vet leadership

Now I think Iggy+Crowder for a whole season is worth a late 1st obviously. But others may few them differently. And they have some justification. Utah could have tossed in Exum to match salary but chose Crowder. GSW paid Memphis to take Iggy. So they were both dealt this off-season and sorta set a market(obviously GSW had different motivations, but if he had 1st round value a team with cap space likely would have taken him for free, right?).

Correct, though I was more thinking of the Hawks leading into this draft where we were told that the Hawks had no need for seconds and had no interest in adding another pick in this draft. They ended up trading one of those firsts to move up only to then trade a future 1st for another 1st. They traded some seconds for future seconds (and cash) only to trade future seconds for a different second. Things change fast in the NBA.

My point is assets are assets. Saying your team has no need for a certain type of asset implies that your organization is unable to transform an asset it might not need into one that it does. This isn't about whether you think Iggy is worth a 1st (I personally think that's greedy since you already made a wonderful trade to get a 1st for taking him in the first place and I'd be concerned at what this is doing to the team's image). It's about not rejecting a particular type of asset outright. The idea that Memphis has no need for second round picks at all, full stop, is just as unrealistic as thinking that a team is going to trade you a first for three bench players each worth a 2nd.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#18 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:26 am

BullyKing wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Seriously?

Correct, though I was more thinking of the Hawks leading into this draft where we were told that the Hawks had no need for seconds and had no interest in adding another pick in this draft. They ended up trading one of those firsts to move up only to then trade a future 1st for another 1st. They traded some seconds for future seconds (and cash) only to trade future seconds for a different second. Things change fast in the NBA.

My point is assets are assets. Saying your team has no need for a certain type of asset implies that your organization is unable to transform an asset it might not need into one that it does. This isn't about whether you think Iggy is worth a 1st (I personally think that's greedy since you already made a wonderful trade to get a 1st for taking him in the first place and I'd be concerned at what this is doing to the team's image). It's about not rejecting a particular type of asset outright. The idea that Memphis has no need for second round picks at all, full stop, is just as unrealistic as thinking that a team is going to trade you a first for three bench players each worth a 2nd.

2nds can be quite valuable, but I think it makes more sense for MEM to send a 2nd to get the 1st.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#19 » by BullyKing » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:31 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

2nds can be quite valuable, but I think it makes more sense for MEM to send a 2nd to get the 1st.

Clearly. And Memphis has every right to ask for a first for every single on its roster. But at some point, you have to accept that no one is going to offer a 1st for a particular player. When that occurs with a player that is not part of your future, I think the mindset that I'd rather let them walk then take 2nds is a mistake.
NYSixersFan wrote:
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#20 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:33 am

The OP looks solid for both teams, maybe better for Portland though. They get two solid veterans that can help them compete now and their team is ready to compete now. No doubt Bazemore might be a nice fit in Portland but getting Iguodala & Crowder would be worth it. Remember that 2020 1st is likely to become two 2nds.

Memphis might balk at this deal just because they want better picks but they are getting a 23 year old Center/PF and probably three 2nds. Bazemore will be a better fit at SG than Iguodala, especially as a starter. Unfortunately Bazemore is 30 years old and unlikely to fit their long-term plans (of course the swap for Iguodala is slightly better age-wise).

If Memphis thinks they can get more for Iguodala and Crowder, they should hold out. This might be the best they'll get though and three 2nds + a 23 year old big would be a nice addition.

Return to Trades and Transactions