Sacramento Kings Get Bradley Beal...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,496

Re: Sacramento Kings Get Bradley Beal... 

Post#21 » by pillwenney » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:31 pm

becorz wrote:
pillwenney wrote:
rpa wrote:Wouldn't do this if I'm the Kings--with or without the 1st rounder attached.

The Kings are building their offense around Bagley and Fox--making Hield (or Beal) a 3rd banana. While Beal is a clearly better player, I think the gap between him and Hield as 3rd options isn't that far apart. Namely, Beal's creation ability wouldn't be as useful with the ball in his hands less and Hields' shooting (which is far and away better than Beal's) is incredibly valuable for floor spacing.

I think when you add in the role players the Kings give up + Beal's contract situation it's a pretty clear downgrade for the Kings.

This is a fair point. I still think it's worth doing it simply because you get talent where you can.

But I would only do it if we had a wink wink situation with Beal definitely re-signing. Otherwise, it's not worth the risk.

When the Kings traded Shumpert (and Jackson to a lesser extent), it seemed like the team was really down for a couple of weeks there. That guy was only around for a little while and and changing the team chemistry up like that hurt them.

If the Kings traded Buddy, are you worried about the affect on team chemistry? Dude has been around for two and a half years now and has been pushed as a key part of the Kings rebuild. I am worried what it would do.

Then again, it seems like the team is bonding around Barnes now, so long term, it didn't hurt too much to lose Shump, so it is entirely possible that time would fix everything.

Sure, that would always be a concern. But I just think you have to take risks like this for big time talent like Beal.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,608

Post#22 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:03 pm

Actually I dont think this is all that bad of a deal. If Sac really wanted to do this, I could see Washington holding out until a 1st (probably protected top 10 or something) gets thrown in as well. But I think the overall return for both teams make sense. But I also see where both sides would say no though.

Sac:
The first thing that sticks out to me is Beal not being on a controllable contract. If Im Sac I would definitely be afraid of Beal leaving town once he hits free agency, that is a massive thing to think about. The second thing is, skill wise he fits great with Fox and Bagley, but Im not sure he fits with what Sac wants to do. I think Sac is probably all in on the Fox/Bagley are the cornerstones to the franchise thing. Beal is a high usage player who gets a lot of shots, how does that effect the growth of Bagley and Fox. Unless Walton could pull off what GS did and 3 guys get 18+ shots a game and the rest of the team gets the scraps.

WSH:
First I can see WSH wanting a young prospect in return for Beal. Hield and Bojan are both actually older than Beal, so they dont really get younger in this. I could see them expecting a return like Chicago got when they got Lavine and a top 10 pick in return for Butler. Also they run the risk of Hield getting a big offer in free agency. If Hield gets a big offer in free agency and they match it, they are right back into having a ton of money being tied up.

So ya I think its a deal at first glance could make sense. But I can see plenty of things that would be a deal breaker for both sides.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#23 » by becorz » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Sac:
The first thing that sticks out to me is Beal not being on a controllable contract. If Im Sac I would definitely be afraid of Beal leaving town once he hits free agency, that is a massive thing to think about. The second thing is, skill wise he fits great with Fox and Bagley, but Im not sure he fits with what Sac wants to do. I think Sac is probably all in on the Fox/Bagley are the cornerstones to the franchise thing. Beal is a high usage player who gets a lot of shots, how does that effect the growth of Bagley and Fox. Unless Walton could pull off what GS did and 3 guys get 18+ shots a game and the rest of the team gets the scraps.

A lot of talk in this thread has been about Beal's usage rate. Sure the last few years it has increased (26.5, 27.6, 28.4) but it is not like the player he would replace in Buddy Hield (24.6 usage) has a low usage rate. But Beal also has a much higher assist rate (18.1 vs 11.4), so they extra usage is kind of being put to use.

Buddy Hield has had the ball in his hand a lot, but he doesn't pass all that much. Beal would also have the ball a lot. I don't really see the issue with switching them out for one another. This is all assuming Walton isn't changing the offense a ton.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#24 » by BoogieTime » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:17 pm

becorz wrote:

A lot of talk in this thread has been about Beal's usage rate. Sure the last few years it has increased (26.5, 27.6, 28.4) but it is not like the player he would replace in Buddy Hield (24.6 usage) has a low usage rate. But Beal also has a much higher assist rate (18.1 vs 11.4), so they extra usage is kind of being put to use.

Buddy Hield has had the ball in his hand a lot, but he doesn't pass all that much. Beal would also have the ball a lot. I don't really see the issue with switching them out for one another. This is all assuming Walton isn't changing the offense a ton.

“Usage” can also mean shots, touches, ability to play off ball, whatever you want to say

Point being, with Fox, Bagley, Barnes, the fact that a player is a better playmaker/more prolific scorer could fit less as I see Fox/Bagley really controlling offense and Barnes being a capable offensive player too. In that scenario, IMO you wouldn’t pay a lot more to switch out the more efficient guy who is better off ball
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#25 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:19 pm

NYG wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
NYG wrote:
Those are all fair, but could you envision the real life Kings regime making this deal? Especially if the Wizards can get their pick elsewhere via a third team.

Why would the Kings do it? Then they have to gamble on Beal wanting to stay in SAC

They own Hield’s RFA rights and have more certainty there. If they wanted to get out of paying Buddy then they would make a different trade that fits their timeline (maybe trade Hield to OKC for Gallo’s expiring + Ferguson + picks)

It all depends on how good the Kings think they are this season. If they feel like this upgrade simply makes them an 8 seed then of course you don’t take the risk. Am I overrating the Kings after this trade by assuming they will be better than that?

Even if they make the playoffs with Beal (I think they probably would) what’s the cost if you’re not a true contender ? Again Beal’s FA clock would be ticking
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#26 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:45 pm

I do not see anyway that either team does this.

The Wizards are going to want to get younger players than Beal if they trade him, it does not make sense to get a bunch of guys already in their prime when Wall is not likely to be all that effective when he comes back.

The Kings have a good team with chemistry, Beal is a risk to walk as what is left after this deal is Fox and a bunch of young guys who still need time to develop.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#27 » by longfellow44 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:09 pm

I don't really like it for either team. Kings don't want to do it for contract reasons, and I don't think this is the consolidation of talent that they should be looking for, and Wizards could get more elsewhere.

Seems like a deal that just doesn't work for either team.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#28 » by becorz » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:52 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
becorz wrote:

“Usage” can also mean shots, touches, ability to play off ball, whatever you want to say

Point being, with Fox, Bagley, Barnes, the fact that a player is a better playmaker/more prolific scorer could fit less as I see Fox/Bagley really controlling offense and Barnes being a capable offensive player too. In that scenario, IMO you wouldn’t pay a lot more to switch out the more efficient guy who is better off ball

I wouldn't consider Buddy more efficient of better off the ball. Buddy's true shooting is .587 and Beal's is .581, so basically the same. And you just have to watch a Kings game to see how many possessions end with Buddy Hield bricking a well guarded long two because he stopped the ball the realize that he can be a ball stopper at times. The ball stopped with Beal sometimes too, but that is because he needed to be the PG at times.

Buddy and Beal can both play well off the ball, but they can both stop the ball too. I think they are much more similar in their tendencies than you think. But Beal is clearly the better player right now.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#29 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:03 pm

E S V L wrote:
letsgobulls23 wrote:Washington can do a lot better than this imo, even though it's a risk for SAC that Beal could walk.

Memphis is offering five (5) FRPs

No they're not lol.

Memphis has a pretty smart front office. Sure, they're loaded with assets, but this would be one of the worst trades in franchise history as Beal wouldn't resign. Memphis isn't in the position to win-now and would be extremely short-sighted imo.

Memphis has a better shot at offering Hield/Brown a max than dealing for Beal.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.

Return to Trades and Transactions