Beal to Boston w/ Minnesota

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,618

Re: Beal to Boston w/ Minnesota 

Post#61 » by shrink » Mon Oct 7, 2019 12:41 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
shrink wrote:It’s bad contracts PLUS COMPENSATION. And if WAS trades Beal, it will be to bring in the most compensation.

I don’t care about how you debate this specific offer is, but the structure is not bad. If WAS trades Beal, they aren’t contending - they are in a rebuild. And rebuilding teams often want to take on a bad contract IF they get paid enough to do it. In other words,

Beal for expirings plus compensation, then ..
Expirings for bad contract and even more compensation.

You guys can argue how much compensation is fair.

I would also add that if WAS trades Beal, again they aren’t contending, and as we saw with OKC (twice) and NOP, they will send him to the team that offers the best compensation, regardless of conference.

Cap space is the most valuable currency of the NBA. Why? It gives you the open opportunity to sign players who directly add value to your franchise. Washington voluntarily tying up 65% of the cap on bad/negative contracts would literally be suicide to their business operations.

If this kind of deal were to happen, it’s because both owners called each other directly and negotiated the trade to make the Wizards whole from the ownership/business context. So WAS would likely be receiving a rookie Zion, rookie Blake Griffin level #1 pick , or that kind of asset.

First, cap space is not the most valuable currency in the NBA. Giannis, or other superstar players, are. Cap space doesn’t give 20 non-free agent destinations the practical opportunity to sign superstars.

Second, if a team trades for Wiggins, or takes on any long contract, they ARE selling their cap space (or at least, “financial flexibility”). It might be that flexibility for 2020-2023. The key is .. are they receiving enough assets to be compensated for tying up that salary?

Third, teams can sell success, or they can sell hope. If they aren’t winning and/or don’t have a superstar to sell tickets, having cap space doesn’t sell tickets either. Again, they need to get young star prospects and future picks quickly, and start selling the future as soon as possible.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#62 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:54 am

shrink wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
shrink wrote:It’s bad contracts PLUS COMPENSATION. And if WAS trades Beal, it will be to bring in the most compensation.

I don’t care about how you debate this specific offer is, but the structure is not bad. If WAS trades Beal, they aren’t contending - they are in a rebuild. And rebuilding teams often want to take on a bad contract IF they get paid enough to do it. In other words,

Beal for expirings plus compensation, then ..
Expirings for bad contract and even more compensation.

You guys can argue how much compensation is fair.

I would also add that if WAS trades Beal, again they aren’t contending, and as we saw with OKC (twice) and NOP, they will send him to the team that offers the best compensation, regardless of conference.

Cap space is the most valuable currency of the NBA. Why? It gives you the open opportunity to sign players who directly add value to your franchise. Washington voluntarily tying up 65% of the cap on bad/negative contracts would literally be suicide to their business operations.

If this kind of deal were to happen, it’s because both owners called each other directly and negotiated the trade to make the Wizards whole from the ownership/business context. So WAS would likely be receiving a rookie Zion, rookie Blake Griffin level #1 pick , or that kind of asset.

First, cap space is not the most valuable currency in the NBA. Giannis, or other superstar players, are. Cap space doesn’t give 20 non-free agent destinations the practical opportunity to sign superstars.

Second, if a team trades for Wiggins, or takes on any long contract, they ARE selling their cap space (or at least, “financial flexibility”). It might be that flexibility for 2020-2023. The key is .. are they receiving enough assets to be compensated for tying up that salary?

Third, teams can sell success, or they can sell hope. If they aren’t winning and/or don’t have a superstar to sell tickets, having cap space doesn’t sell tickets either. Again, they need to get young star prospects and future picks quickly, and start selling the future as soon as possible.

How would a franchise “sell the future” with OPs trade? The best single asset he’s offering is the conditional Memphis pick , which as I’ve said earlier is not adequate because the value it will convey is uncertain. None of those other mid/late firsts offer the promise of a potential superstar prospect.

If it was a surefire #1 or #2 overall pick going to Wizards, then maybe at that point we’re getting closer to the value it would take.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#63 » by TGW » Mon Oct 7, 2019 12:43 pm

I'd do OP's deal if it's Wall instead of Beal.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#64 » by E S V L » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:28 pm

TGW wrote:I'd do OP's deal if it's Wall instead of Beal.

:nod:
FK NFL
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#65 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 3:01 pm

That is really adding to the thread and worth posting. Good job!
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#66 » by pacers33granger » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm not sure I'd do the OP's deal for Beal if I were Washington, but I think the gap is considerably less than the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#67 » by Silvie Lysandra » Mon Oct 7, 2019 6:18 pm

If anything, Boston is the most likely to say no. They're giving up a LOT of assets to try to push for a run now with Beal and Covington. Imo, Minny needs to send Okogie to us, while Boston keeps its 2023/2024 picks.

Washington says no because there's a better than 50% chance that Beal stays (especially if the Wizards are, with a mostly recovered Wall, Troy Brown with a jump shot, and Hachimura and Brown developing into quality starters, back in the playoffs if not pushing for 50 wins), and a resigned Beal is better than any deal that trades him, but if they had a crystal ball that only they could see that shows Beal will 100% leave. they do this.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,539

Post#68 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Oct 7, 2019 6:29 pm

You know better than this.

Return to Trades and Transactions