Jaylen (Theiss) for Covington?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Re: Jaylen (Theiss) for Covington? 

Post#41 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:03 pm

JRoy wrote:
bigmean wrote:I think i want josh okogie involved and maybe semi ojeleye

or go another direction

Marcus SMart/Robert Williams, 1st rounder clipper and 1st rounder memphis for Robert Covington and unprotected first rounder
Patsfan1081 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
I don’t think the issue is with Jaylen Brown the player, it’s Jaylen Browns upcoming contract. Between Hayward, and the upcoming non-rookie contracts for Brown and Tatum(at the end of next year I believe), that’s an awful lot of salary on non-all star wings.

I agree that they can't keep all three of them but I don't see the cap being an issue. Hayward will be up by the time Tatum needs to be paid. And you said non all star wings but I don't think anyone can say for sure what any of the three will look like this year. We still don't know if Hayward can return to form and both Brown and Tatum are two young and have yet to see a high enough usg to determine their ceilings. Boston just did themselves of three very ball dominant players, they have to see more of Brown befor determining if he has a future in Boston.

Browns a nice player and I’m sure a number of teams like him at a reasonable price. The debate is what that price might be.

I understand that, and the fact he could be grossly overpaid. But the other question is what type of player he is. Boston used a top three pick on him and he has yet had the opportunity to be a top option outside of when Kyrie was injured. I just don't think you can move a player you used a high lottery pick on until you know what he is. Maybe it would be different if Boston was older and a contendor or they could get another young player in return that fits a need. At this point though they're better off being hopeful Brown developes into a player worth big money and just lets Hayward walk instead.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#42 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:16 pm

mademan wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
mademan wrote:I wouldnt want to be the team holding Brown a year from now. All the cap space out there, it's almost a certainty he gets overpaid. And if Team USA is any indication, he hasnt changed over the summer

Changed what? He played well in Fiba. The complaints people have about him have been he tends to turn the ball over and he's not a good distributor yet he looked fine in both areas over the summer. His turnovers were low and I think in the last few games he had a 3 and a 4 assist night.

My problem with Brown has been the same for a while now. He's a guard who doesnt have a guards game; he cant dribble, he cant pass, cant playmake and is an inconsistent shooter, who, with all these faults, wasnt willing to stay in his lane (at least last year). He didnt look really any different in the summer, though thats to be expected; i dont expect guys to become different players in a 2 month stretch.

This isnt to say he's a chit player, but for a guy who will likely command 20ish mill this summer, based on age/physical attributes/cap space availability and draft status, im very comfortable in sayingBesides that i dont want to be the team footing that bill

I always find it odd when somone says aa player isn't that good then follows it up with "they'll get 20 mill." People said that with Terry Rozier also..... But outside the fact that 20 mpg in a half dozen Fiba games isn't much of a sample size I'd say Brown did look like a better passer and his handles also did look better, his assist numbers were at least decent. Wings don't improve their playmaking though till sometime down the line anyways, look at Butler, George, Beal, etc...... Outside his free throw shooting I didn't see a lot of inconsistency either. There was the start of last season when he had a thumb injury but shot well for the rest of the season. He shot 47/40 in both the regular season and the playoffs as a sophmore, Wiggins hasn't come close to that. Everyone is pineing after Bradley Beal, look at his stats the first three seasons and tell me if he would have been worth big money.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Post#43 » by mademan » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:36 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:

I always find it odd when somone says aa player isn't that good then follows it up with "they'll get 20 mill." People said that with Terry Rozier also.....

Well Rozier isnt good and he got 20 mil. Thats kinda the point. There's money out there and teams will spend on any player with any inkling of 'potential'.

Patsfan1081 wrote:
But outside the fact that 20 mpg in a half dozen Fiba games isn't much of a sample size I'd say Brown did look like a better passer and his handles also did look better, his assist numbers were at least decent.

To each his own. I saw the same Brown i saw all last year. We'll agree to disagree here.

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Wings don't improve their playmaking though till sometime down the line anyways, look at Butler, George, Beal, etc...... Outside his free throw shooting I didn't see a lot of inconsistency either. There was the start of last season when he had a thumb injury but shot well for the rest of the season. He shot 47/40 in both the regular season and the playoffs as a sophmore, Wiggins hasn't come close to that. Everyone is pineing after Bradley Beal, look at his stats the first three seasons and tell me if he would have been worth big money.

Therein lies the reason he will get 20 mill. Cause some team will think he might be the next Butler/George/Beal. And yes, it is a possibility and yes, it has happened before. But ive said it before on here, but guys stagnate or make very small incremental gains rather than these big jumps. He's much more likely to be a bad contract than a star/live up to that contract. If you want to say the possibility that he lives up to it is worth the risk, so be it, i dont think it is.

And incosistent is very much the word i'd use to describe his shooting. He followed up a 40% shooting year from 3 with a 34% year. As a SG, that takes him from very good shooter to below average. Thats a big swing in a single year
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#44 » by Resistance » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:58 pm

What salary/contract are Boston fans comfortable with if Brown has a good but not great season? Being the third or fourth best player on a contender would be his track.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#45 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Oct 7, 2019 10:37 am

Honestly, there was no Wiggins in the op.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#46 » by Resistance » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:47 pm

I remember the Julius Randle discussions when he was in the final season of his rookie contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions