Who Says No First? Hield/Barnes for M. Turner/McDermott

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who Says No First?

Indiana
74%
Sacramento
26%

Total votes: 35

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 480

Who Says No First? Hield/Barnes for M. Turner/McDermott 

Post#1 » by bpcox05 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:39 pm

Why for IND? The Pacers move Sabonis to their full time C while improving their wing rotation. (Brogdon, Oladipo, Hield, Lamb, Barnes, & Warren is very solid 1-4).

Why for SAC? The Kings get a C who is on the same age timeline as Fox & Bagley, and he complements Bagley very well with his shooting and rim protection. Bogdanovic would slide in as the starting SG giving them another player who can handle the ball and make a play for a teammate while still being a great floor spacer for the rest of the team. Ariza would slide in as the starting SF with McDermott backing him up. The Kings would also have the ability to offer a max deal to a FA in 2021 with Fox, Bogdanovic, Bagley, & Turner under contract.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: Who Says No First? Hield/Giles for M. Turner/Lamb 

Post#2 » by Mykhyn » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:49 pm

I don't think Hield is the right fit for Pacers.

Bagley would be a lot more interesting
bpcox05
Veteran

Re: Who Says No First? Hield/Giles for M. Turner/Lamb 

Post#3 » by bpcox05 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:55 pm

Cklbmk wrote:I don't think Hield is the right fit for Pacers.

Bagley would be a lot more interesting

I also just realized that this is nowhere close on salaries anyways so don't know what I was thinking...
bpcox05
Veteran

Re: Who Says No First? Hield/Barnes for M. Turner/McDermott 

Post#4 » by bpcox05 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:10 pm

Updated the premise of the trade so salaries work now.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#5 » by giberish » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:14 pm

If the thingamajig is never returning to Indy then it makes some sense. Otherwise Olidipo is a better SG then Heild, and Lamb can also play minutes there effectively.

A Bagley for Turner based deal would have been a better fit - though easier to do early in the offseason (no matching salaries needed and the Kings could sign a PF rather then Deadman).
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#6 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:17 pm

giberish wrote:If the thingamajig is never returning to Indy then it makes some sense. Otherwise Olidipo is a better SG then Heild, and Lamb can also play minutes there effectively.

A Bagley for Turner based deal would have been a better fit - though easier to do early in the offseason (no matching salaries needed and the Kings could sign a PF rather then Deadman).

There isn't anyone on the Pacers that gets Bagley.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#7 » by Coeur » Sat Oct 5, 2019 8:02 pm

This makes no sense to trade value for another 6-3 SG. Oladipo is their best player so they can’t trade one of their big guys for a small SG.

If oladipo is commited to playing PG then I’ll do it
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#8 » by pacers33granger » Sat Oct 5, 2019 9:10 pm

Both probably say no unless Sacramento is weary of paying Buddy and want to keep Bogdanovic. Turner would be an awesome fit for them though. Would almost seem to make more sense to loop Dedmon in somehow, maybe even to a 3rd team, unless they're ok paying that kind of money to a bench big.

I would absolutely love Buddy, but we don't have a need/room for another SG/SF and Turner is a huge part of what we do. Our defense likely falls off a cliff without him. I'm a Barnes fan, but a Barnes/Domas frontcourt is all sorts of bad defensively and that issue is further compounded starting Buddy/Warren until Vic gets back, but even then that's still a bad defensive lineup.

And while we would have two starting level players versus one and a bench player, we go from $25 mil a year to somewhere in the vicinity of $50 mil or more once Buddy gets paid. Would also be a pain to have two of the top RFAs going into a terrible FA class and be forced to match any offers or else we'd end up with just Turner for Barnes (yikes) and/or only Goga a year after having 3 promising young centers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 5, 2019 9:39 pm

Coeur wrote:This makes no sense to trade value for another 6-3 SG. Oladipo is their best player so they can’t trade one of their big guys for a small SG.

Oladipo isn’t even considering playing PG. He’s talked consistently of Brogdon being the PG.

Hield is a nice player, but not at all a consideration while we have Oladipo. It’s similar to the Beal to Indy ideas that popped up once or twice. Great player, just not a need in anyway and plays the exact same position, and only the same position, as our best star player.

We’re really ok with what we have. If anything, when Oladipo comes back we may look to trade a surplus wing for more of a true 4/3 player, but not gonna give up one of our best players to do so. Turner looks like he's figured out what he should do: block shots and shoot the 3.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#10 » by Topofthekey » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:14 am

Ok, to be fair, value wise it's not that far off

It's just that the fit is really bad for the Pacers

Hield goes to the bench once Oladipo returns; even if we entertain this idea, and admittedly having Hield off the bench as a 6th man is a great luxury, would Hield want to commit to a bench role? He'll probably just walk in free agency and look for a bigger role elsewhere

As the poster above me pointed out, Pacers actually has a glut at the SF/SG position

SF: Warren / McDermott / Alize Johnson
SG: Oladipo / Lamb / Sumner / Justin Holiday

They'll like to either do a consolidation trade where they get a better starting SF than Warren, or shift some of their depth at SF/SG to PF/SF - for crying out loud Jakarr Sampson is getting playing time at PF for them now with TJ Leaf and Goga Bitadze both bothered by injuries
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:18 am

bpcox05 wrote:Why for IND? The Pacers move Sabonis to their full time C while improving their wing rotation. (Brogdon, Oladipo, Hield, Lamb, Barnes, & Warren is very solid 1-4).

Why for SAC? The Kings get a C who is on the same age timeline as Fox & Bagley, and he complements Bagley very well with his shooting and rim protection. Bogdanovic would slide in as the starting SG giving them another player who can handle the ball and make a play for a teammate while still being a great floor spacer for the rest of the team. Ariza would slide in as the starting SF with McDermott backing him up. The Kings would also have the ability to offer a max deal to a FA in 2021 with Fox, Bogdanovic, Bagley, & Turner under contract.

Pacers say hell no! Turner is on a good contract, led the NBA in Blocked shots last year, he's getting better only 23. Hield is a good player but he's a SG we have 3-4 guys to play SG until Vic comes back.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:24 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Coeur wrote:This makes no sense to trade value for another 6-3 SG. Oladipo is their best player so they can’t trade one of their big guys for a small SG.

Oladipo isn’t even considering playing PG. He’s talked consistently of Brogdon being the PG.

Hield is a nice player, but not at all a consideration while we have Oladipo. It’s similar to the Beal to Indy ideas that popped up once or twice. Great player, just not a need in anyway and plays the exact same position, and only the same position, as our best star player.

We’re really ok with what we have. If anything, when Oladipo comes back we may look to trade a surplus wing for more of a true 4/3 player, but not gonna give up one of our best players to do so. Turner looks like he's figured out what he should do: block shots and shoot the 3.

I agree with you on that last paragraph for sure. I am fine with the team we have heading into the season. Unless someone wants to give us a stud for a little bit of nothing I don't see any trades.

The Pacers have over achieved the last couple years when no one expected anything. This team looks solid even if Vic does not come back till 2021.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#13 » by JRoy » Sun Oct 6, 2019 4:03 am

Turner is a very nice two way player. Have a hard time seeing Indy give him up for Hield.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#14 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 9:33 am

Non starter for the Pacers. Even if they do trade Turner (very unlikely IMO), this trade doesn't work position wise.

FYI for trade board regulars: the official plan is to start Sabonis at PF alongside Turner. Obviously, plans made in the offseason can unravel once the actual season starts, but I'd expect they'd give it a few months at least. Please hold your trade proposals until then.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 6, 2019 11:34 am

I'd say it's a race to who says no first. Sacramento doesn't need Turner and Indianapolis does. That'll be the biggest issue.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#16 » by sacking123 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 4:08 pm

The Pacers say no first. Buddy would put their roster balance into a tailspin.
I don’t mind this for the Kings because I have a lot of faith in Bogy being a starter in the NBA. Buddy still has loads of room left in his game, but Turner fits the timeline like a glove.
Dedmon would need to be offloaded as well in a trade for a glue guy SF IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:18 am

There is a difference between overachieving and being under estimated.

Pacers are going to play Turner and Sabonis together and see what happens. No reason to do a significant trade until after we know if they can start together.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:00 pm

I could eventually see one of the Pacers big men being moved for a good SF, but that's not Barnes.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#19 » by kb02 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:01 pm

Both say no. Indy is building a bruising team (size 1 through 5), which is anchored by Turner and Sabonis. I really like the Brogdon fit, btw.

Kings are going to be running 4 out, which is anchored by above average 3 point shooting. Hield is the team's best shooter.

Return to Trades and Transactions