What would it take to get Steven Adams to the Kings

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

What would it take to get Steven Adams to the Kings 

Post#1 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:55 am

Without busting up the core. What package could the Kings put together that could net Steven Adams at the 5. I'm personally not sold on Dedmon beinga long term answer for the Kings at Center. I have serious doubts and I think he's personally a downgrade from WCS. Same for Luke Walton. I think he's an overall downgrade at coach from Joerger. I wanted to put that on the record before the season even started. Hopefully, I"m eating crow on both accounts by year's end. But I think the Kings need someone who can anchor down the defensive rebounds and I think Adams could be a realistic target for that purpose. What would the Kings need to do to make that happen?
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Re: What would it take to get Steven Adams to the Kings 

Post#2 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:08 am

I’ve read the Kings aren’t interested in Adams. Adams is not a salarydump for OKC. They want a first round pick, a prospect & cap relief, reportedly.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#3 » by giberish » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:26 am

This would have been much simpler in early July, before signing Deadman.

The Kings had the cap space to just take Adams, getting OKC out of the luxury tax cleanly (with enough room to sign another center option with MLE money and still be under the tax). Just cap relief and a spare 2nd probably could have done it.

Or if OKC was really holding out for more, Favors was clearly available for that offer.

Sacramento wanted a 3-point threat to spread the floor for Bagley though, so they went with Deadman.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#4 » by BoogieTime » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:19 am

It’s been reported the Kings aren’t interested by the Sacramento Bee already. No need to pay that type of money for a bruiser when you have to pay Fox/Buddy/Barnes/BOgi/Bagley already, and Holmes can give you 85% if starting (yes I’m all about Richaun :))
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:25 am

Adams is a better player than Dedmon, but I thought the Kings were dead-set on adding a C with range? Adams isn't really that.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:26 pm

loserX wrote:Adams is a better player than Dedmon, but I thought the Kings were dead-set on adding a C with range? Adams isn't really that.

He's shooting 100% from three so far in preseason. :wink:
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#7 » by kb02 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:56 pm

The two games in China showed the Kings are pretty much playing 4 out on offense, with Dedmon as the 4th man on the perimeter (Bags, Holmes are the lone interior man). Adams doesn't fit on offense.

On defense, they're switching and forcing bigs to be out in space. Adams doesn't fit that either.

Rebounding from bigs will suffer until they figure it out. It's tempting to think Adams and his bruising, crazy boarding will fix that, but it won't. It's the system. Wings and guards will get more boards this year. It'll take a while to work, but should click 5 to 10 games into the season.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#8 » by kb02 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:59 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
loserX wrote:Adams is a better player than Dedmon, but I thought the Kings were dead-set on adding a C with range? Adams isn't really that.

Absolutely. Adams is an exact opposite of what the Kings are looking for in a center--on offense and defense.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:25 pm

pacers33granger wrote:

He's shooting 100% from three so far in preseason. :wink:

They’ve actually been working on that with a plan for him to shoot more 3s. He’s going to have a breakout year.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,348

Post#10 » by dakomish23 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:47 pm

Bags Giles Dedmon is more than fine plus Barns Bjelica

I'd spend my resources at the 3. Go after Jaylen :dontknow:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#11 » by Coeur » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:06 pm

Kings: Derozen, hernangomez, Roberson

Spurs: Malik Beasley, Gallinari, ariza

Thunder: Gary Harris, Millsap, Denver 2022 1st

Nugs: Adams, Bogdanovic, Bjelica
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:21 pm

Coeur wrote:Kings: Derozen, hernangomez, Roberson

Spurs: Malik Beasley, Gallinari, ariza

Thunder: Gary Harris, Millsap, Denver 2022 1st

Nugs: Adams, Bogdanovic, Bjelica

More Serbians to the Nuggets stuff?
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#13 » by sacking123 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:27 pm

Hield of Dreams wrote:Without busting up the core. What package could the Kings put together that could net Steven Adams at the 5. I'm personally not sold on Dedmon beinga long term answer for the Kings at Center. I have serious doubts and I think he's personally a downgrade from WCS. Same for Luke Walton. I think he's an overall downgrade at coach from Joerger. I wanted to put that on the record before the season even started. Hopefully, I"m eating crow on both accounts by year's end. But I think the Kings need someone who can anchor down the defensive rebounds and I think Adams could be a realistic target for that purpose. What would the Kings need to do to make that happen?

It would take an act of Morey to be honest.
What your asking is to completely waste this season because what trade could even get done that would allow the Kings to be better? OKC aren't interested in getting worse either unless there are multiple picks involved for someone like Adams.
Adams is also not the greatest fit for the Kings. Yes he could be a good fit, if Bagley come into 19/20 shooting the 3 ball like a champion otherwise no thanks.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:32 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:Without busting up the core. What package could the Kings put together that could net Steven Adams at the 5. I'm personally not sold on Dedmon beinga long term answer for the Kings at Center. I have serious doubts and I think he's personally a downgrade from WCS. Same for Luke Walton. I think he's an overall downgrade at coach from Joerger. I wanted to put that on the record before the season even started. Hopefully, I"m eating crow on both accounts by year's end. But I think the Kings need someone who can anchor down the defensive rebounds and I think Adams could be a realistic target for that purpose. What would the Kings need to do to make that happen?

What your asking is to completely waste this season because what trade could even get done that would allow the Kings to be better? OKC aren't interested in getting worse either unless there are multiple picks involved for someone like Adams.
Adams is also not the greatest fit for the Kings. Yes he could be a good fit, if Bagley come into 19/20 shooting the 3 ball like a champion otherwise no thanks.
I disagree about Adam's not being. A good fit. He sets some of the best picks in the league this would free up fox in the pnr, buddy and Bogs for threes and he rebounds like a madman

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by sacking123 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:44 pm

Hield of Dreams wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

I disagree about Adam's not being. A good fit. He sets some of the best picks in the league this would free up fox in the pnr, buddy and Bogs for threes and he rebounds like a madman

I agree that he COULD be a good fit, if Bagley comes into the season as the 3pt shooter he is expected to become (maybe in 2-3 seasons). Other than that how are the Kings getting Adams? We just don't have the right trade capital for him at the point in time when we are talking about keeping the core together.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#16 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:45 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

I agree that he COULD be a good fit, if Bagley comes into the season as the 3pt shooter he is expected to become (maybe in 2-3 seasons). Other than that how are the Kings getting Adams? We just don't have the right trade capital for him at the point in time when we are talking about keeping the core together.

Adams is a veteran presence for OKC and I don't think they want to dump him. I think he'd look great on the Kings, but the likely ask is a protected first and Giles.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:54 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:I disagree about Adam's not being. A good fit. He sets some of the best picks in the league this would free up fox in the pnr, buddy and Bogs for threes and he rebounds like a madman

Adams is a veteran presence for OKC and I don't think they want to dump him. I think he'd look great on the Kings, but the likely ask is a protected first and Giles.
I might bite on that with top 20 protection this year. Lotto protection next year and converts to 2 2nds after that if Giles is involved. If you take Giles out I'd make the protection lotto protected until it conveys up to like 5 years then convert to. Top 55 2nd.

Obviously ariza and dedmon would have to be involved to match salaries.

sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by sacking123 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:00 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:I disagree about Adam's not being. A good fit. He sets some of the best picks in the league this would free up fox in the pnr, buddy and Bogs for threes and he rebounds like a madman

Yes I agree completely. And I believe OKC would want what what your asking (and perhaps a little more).
What I'm suggesting is there is no possible way of getting Adams on the Kings without 2 things happening, 1 of which isn't in the Thunders control.
The first is as the OP stated, without busting up the core. Now this is the first and biggest hurdle. How on earth can you get to Adams' number (salary) without "busting" up the core?
Even with Giles (he is so low salary wise) there is a lot of gap to go and myself personally would be putting Giles as the "core", future core, but the core nonetheless.
So that gets to trades like (combinations of) Dedmon/Ariza/Joseph/Holmes/picks) to get something done.
The second thing as I have mentioned is that Bagley needs to be a good 3pt shooter for the fit to work, and if he did while Adams was on the roster I think it could be great, but I think the shot will take some time to come.
I think Adams is a terrific player and I would love him on the Kings and support the hell out of him because at the end of the day he is a terrific teammate and franchise guy as well and you don't see many of these guys in the NBA any more.
Having said all that, I just don't see how and/or why the Kings would want to add Adams (perhaps if the price was zero).
OKC would need something to hang their hat on with a trade of Adams and unfortunately the Kings just don't have that.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:54 pm

I think OKC’s asking price for adams changed when the rebuild started. They wanted Buddy or Bogdanovic before but they really don’t have a need for either of them now.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#20 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 am

I've always had a spot for Adams, I championed for this trade in the offseason. But at this point it really doesn't make sense. Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Giles, Bagley are obviously off the table. Joseph, Ariza, Dedmon, Holmes, and Barnes were all recently signed. Yogi/Bjelica don't make up nearly enough salary.

The only situation I could see is if Dedmon is struggling by midway through the year, some trade including Bjelica/Ariza/2nds as basically a salary dump.

Adams/Dedmon/Holmes
Bagley/Giles
Barnes/Bogdan
Buddy/Bogdan
Fox/Joseph

But this really makes no sense, we like what Bjelica/Dedmon/Ariza bring as far as shooting in the front court. I cant see them switching gears so soon.

Return to Trades and Transactions