Stealing Idea of Who Says No? Chris Paul for John Wall

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who Says No First?

Oklahoma City Thunder
88%
Washington Wizards
13%

Total votes: 24

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Stealing Idea of Who Says No? Chris Paul for John Wall 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 am

Chris Paul for John Wall

The Wizards get a healthy Chris Paul over a recovering John Wall and give it a real shot in a weak East with Bradley Beal and cut a year off of the contract in the swap.

Wall is a lot younger than Paul and could be healthy enough to be useful on the court for the end of the OKC rebuild where as Paul is at the final stretch of his career. They take on an extra year on the gamble.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: Stealing Idea of Who Says No? Chris Paul for John Wall 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:35 am

Both say no. Paul has more trade value and more this year value . . . OKC is still looking for value for him and even if they don't get it, they still have Adams and Gallo for a run at the playoffs. Washington is at least a couple of years away and by then, Wall will (hopefully) have more value plus this season is pretty much a tank job and Paul will hurt that. So, Paul is worth more to OKC, Wall is worth more to the Wiz, can't see a swap making any sense.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#3 » by giberish » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:12 am

Paul has a lot more value this season and 3 years from now. Wall may have more 1 and 2 years from now but that's not certain, giving Paul much more overall value.

If you don't care about this season, then they're much closer in value. Neither team is in that much of a win-now push, but Washington's probably less of a win-now team this season then OKC so they wouldn't have interest in giving up anything to make the swap.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am

"Who says no first?" It's a race to hang up. I didn't vote because there were only two options.

Paul is not enough to make a difference in Washington. Sure, the team would be better this year, but not enough and he's not in their long-term plans.

Oklahoma City is looking for youth and picks - Wall does not fit their long term plans.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#5 » by mhd » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Wall's salary is covered 80% by insurance. He's not getting traded just so the Wiz can pay 30+ million extra this year in salary.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Both say no. Paul has more trade value and more this year value . . . OKC is still looking for value for him and even if they don't get it, they still have Adams and Gallo for a run at the playoffs. Washington is at least a couple of years away and by then, Wall will (hopefully) have more value plus this season is pretty much a tank job and Paul will hurt that. So, Paul is worth more to OKC, Wall is worth more to the Wiz, can't see a swap making any sense.

You maybe right about that, both might not want any part of it. I am a doubter that Wall will regain his former playing ability. If he gets back to 80% that might make him a pretty good player but looking at those huge dollar figures out in year 3 and 4 gives me the cold sweats! Sure he's got a player option in yr 4 but is he gonna opt out of nearly $47 million?

If I could get out of Wall's contract I'd give at least 1 #1 to do it. Taking back CP you get a shorter version of the Wall problem, but you get a guy who can play now.

If you're talking about tanking in 2019 you may as well trade off Beal and get a big pile of picks. I know several teams would want him, who has the assets to tempt you? Or maybe you don't want to trade beal what's the status on his extension?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:37 pm

mhd wrote:Wall's salary is covered 80% by insurance. He's not getting traded just so the Wiz can pay 30+ million extra this year in salary.

I may be mistaken but isn't that "Insurance" only if he retires? Do they get the 80% for 2019-20 if he comes back at some point?
penbeast0

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Both say no. Paul has more trade value and more this year value . . . OKC is still looking for value for him and even if they don't get it, they still have Adams and Gallo for a run at the playoffs. Washington is at least a couple of years away and by then, Wall will (hopefully) have more value plus this season is pretty much a tank job and Paul will hurt that. So, Paul is worth more to OKC, Wall is worth more to the Wiz, can't see a swap making any sense.

You maybe right about that, both might not want any part of it. I am a doubter that Wall will regain his former playing ability. If he gets back to 80% that might make him a pretty good player but looking at those huge dollar figures out in year 3 and 4 gives me the cold sweats! Sure he's got a player option in yr 4 but is he gonna opt out of nearly $47 million?

If I could get out of Wall's contract I'd give at least 1 #1 to do it. Taking back CP you get a shorter version of the Wall problem, but you get a guy who can play now.

If you're talking about tanking in 2019 you may as well trade off Beal and get a big pile of picks. I know several teams would want him, who has the assets to tempt you? Or maybe you don't want to trade beal what's the status on his extension?

I think the Wiz have to try to keep Beal if he's willing because he's young and they have a long (well deserved)rep for being a dumb and poorly run franchise. They need to win one for players to be attracted to the franchise when they move from tank to rebuild stage. That said, I deal Beal for a stack of picks that could be good if he doesn't sign the 3 year extention offer on the table (probably taking back a bad deal in the process). I don't deal him for Jaylen Brown and a couple of mediocre picks or similar offers though. Has to be something where we can eventually recoup his value.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,071

Post#9 » by Laimbeer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:55 pm

delete
NYG
RealGM

Post#10 » by NYG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:56 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I think the Wiz have to try to keep Beal if he's willing because he's young and they have a long (well deserved)rep for being a dumb and poorly run franchise. They need to win one for players to be attracted to the franchise when they move from tank to rebuild stage. That said, I deal Beal for a stack of picks that could be good if he doesn't sign the 3 year extention offer on the table (probably taking back a bad deal in the process). I don't deal him for Jaylen Brown and a couple of mediocre picks or similar offers though. Has to be something where we can eventually recoup his value.

Which team can offer those assets that won’t be so good with Beal that their picks wouldn’t be late firsts?
NYG
RealGM

Post#11 » by NYG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Maybe Atlanta if they get off to a good start?

Redick, Moore and Miller with a ton of picks if Zion looks NBA ready earlier than expected?
penbeast0

Post#12 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 pm

NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I think the Wiz have to try to keep Beal if he's willing because he's young and they have a long (well deserved) rep for being a dumb and poorly run franchise. They need to win one for players to be attracted to the franchise when they move from tank to rebuild stage. That said, I deal Beal for a stack of picks that could be good if he doesn't sign the 3 year extention offer on the table (probably taking back a bad deal in the process). I don't deal him for Jaylen Brown and a couple of mediocre picks or similar offers though. Has to be something where we can eventually recoup his value.

Which team can offer those assets that won’t be so good with Beal that their picks wouldn’t be late firsts?

There are some. A couple of weeks ago, I suggested Hayward plus Memphis pick, Minnesota pick, 2022 unprotected (orginally had it as 2020 but was convinced that was not worth much as you suggested) and maybe a pick swap further on (2024) if Beal doesn't sign the extention.
NYG
RealGM

Post#13 » by NYG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:50 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
I think the Wiz have to try to keep Beal if he's willing because he's young and they have a long (well deserved) rep for being a dumb and poorly run franchise. They need to win one for players to be attracted to the franchise when they move from tank to rebuild stage. That said, I deal Beal for a stack of picks that could be good if he doesn't sign the 3 year extention offer on the table (probably taking back a bad deal in the process). I don't deal him for Jaylen Brown and a couple of mediocre picks or similar offers though. Has to be something where we can eventually recoup his value.

There are some. A couple of weeks ago, I suggested Hayward plus Memphis pick, Minnesota pick, 2022 unprotected (orginally had it as 2020 but was convinced that was not worth much as you suggested) and maybe a pick swap further on (2024) if Beal doesn't sign the extention.

You like my suggestions above?
penbeast0

Post#14 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:52 pm

NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
NYG wrote:

You like my suggestions above?

It matters a lot what the picks are. The players are just salary filler for the most part.
NYG
RealGM

Post#15 » by NYG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

You mean the Bucks pick, right?

Which of New Orleans picks would equal that?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I'd say if Beal doesn't take the extension they should start quietly shopping him. Who has the picks to get him? Like you said if a team takes Beal and that makes them a top 4-5 team their picks won't help much. Someone said Hayward from Boston to make the money work I'd try Hayward, Carson Edwards, and Brown plus the Memphis pick, Milwaukee pick, and at least 1 Boston pick out about 2025 either unprotected or very light protection say top 3 for Beal and Mahinmi.
NYG
RealGM

Post#17 » by NYG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:43 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I'd say if Beal doesn't take the extension they should start quietly shopping him. Who has the picks to get him? Like you said if a team takes Beal and that makes them a top 4-5 team their picks won't help much. Someone said Hayward from Boston to make the money work I'd try Hayward, Carson Edwards, and Brown plus the Memphis pick, Milwaukee pick, and at least 1 Boston pick out about 2025 either unprotected or very light protection say top 3 for Beal and Mahinmi.

The Memphis Pick seems like the best individual asset to be had in a realistic Beal trade.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#18 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:00 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
mhd wrote:Wall's salary is covered 80% by insurance. He's not getting traded just so the Wiz can pay 30+ million extra this year in salary.

I may be mistaken but isn't that "Insurance" only if he retires? Do they get the 80% for 2019-20 if he comes back at some point?

Nope , the Wizards had taken out an insurance policy on his supermax deal at the time of signing. It’s actually become common for NBA contracts of that size to be underwritten by insurance companies.

Wizards collect on the claim for Wall’s ‘19-20 salary as long as he misses 41 or more games in the season. And no it does not transfer if he’s traded (since the team trading for him isn’t caught unawares by his injury status)
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Nope , the Wizards had taken out an insurance policy on his supermax deal at the time of signing. It’s actually become common for NBA contracts of that size to be underwritten by insurance companies.

Wizards collect on the claim for Wall’s ‘19-20 salary as long as he misses 41 or more games in the season. And no it does not transfer if he’s traded (since the team trading for him isn’t caught unawares by his injury status)

You would know better than I would.

Return to Trades and Transactions