76ers-Grizzlies-Suns

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Re: 76ers-Grizzlies-Suns 

Post#21 » by Crives » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Crives wrote: Summer league?? I am done.

Could do a couple minutes research before turning to the one liners. Not saying Thybulle is an amazing player but he's clearly shown he's something on the defensive end. (Edit: also did you just laugh off summer league as evidence but cite a tweet with about 25 seconds of game footage as an authority?) Here's his last game:

.... read the thread.... the one liner came after multiple long posts...
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#22 » by darmani » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:36 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Crives wrote:All the profiles I saw on Thybulle pegged him as Having the defensive potential as Bridges but being far behind offensively. He needs to prove himself in some real games before being regarded as a better defender .
Eh. Watch summer league, Thybulle's disruption is just on an entirely different level than Bridges. Bridges was a middle of the pack defender on the Suns last year. Oubre, Josh Jackson, and Ariza all had better Drtgs than him. His TRB% was absurdly low(6%), he had a negative vorp, he had a negative bpm. He's just not there defensively yet. He has the tools to get there, but he's not there yet..

Yeah Thybulle looks to already have a rare gift for disruption, he's definitely further along than Bridges at the moment, only takes a few minutes watching him to see it. He's averaging like 6 steals per 36 in the preseason and none of them are flukes or anything, just has a high motor, great anticipation, and good athleticism/length to annoy defenders and get to opportune spots.

Sixers definitely could use a guy like Bridges but Thybulle looks like he'll fit in pretty beautifully (and he's also a very solid cutter and shooter).

That's hilarious.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#23 » by Chris76 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:28 pm

I like the Sixers targeting Iggy.

Iggy for Jonah Bolden + Neto + Sixers 2nd

Iggy would be a nice defender against the star SFs.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#24 » by E S V L » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Chris76 wrote:I like the Sixers targeting Iggy.

Unless Zaire or a FRP is included, no way you can get Igoudala.
FK NFL
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#25 » by the_process » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:44 pm

E S V L wrote:

You got paid to take him and he doesn’t want to be there. The best you’re getting (without taking a bad deal back) is a couple 2nds.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#26 » by E S V L » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:32 pm

the_process wrote:
E S V L wrote:

You got paid to take him and he doesn’t want to be there. The best you’re getting (without taking a bad deal back) is a couple 2nds.

Thanks a lot for sharing your insight on this matter, but the point still is that you cannot get Iggy unless you send a FRP to Memphis.
FK NFL
the_process
RealGM

Post#27 » by the_process » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Doubt Iggy wants to come back. Also it would be hard to match salary without giving up rotation pieces.
the_process
RealGM

Post#28 » by the_process » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:38 pm

E S V L wrote:
the_process wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Thanks a lot for sharing your insight on this matter, but the point still is that you cannot get Iggy unless you send a FRP to Memphis.

Sixers are good without him and it’s unlikely he would want to come back, anyway. If the idea is to use Iggy to match salary and take back a bad deal in order to get a 1st, then by all means.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#29 » by E S V L » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 pm

the_process wrote:
E S V L wrote:
the_process wrote:

Sixers are good without him and it’s unlikely he would want to come back, anyway. If the idea is to use Iggy to match salary and take back a bad deal in order to get a 1st, then by all means.

Sixers are good enough, no disagreement here.
FK NFL
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#30 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:23 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Crives wrote:All the profiles I saw on Thybulle pegged him as Having the defensive potential as Bridges but being far behind offensively. He needs to prove himself in some real games before being regarded as a better defender .
Eh. Watch summer league, Thybulle's disruption is just on an entirely different level than Bridges. Bridges was a middle of the pack defender on the Suns last year. Oubre, Josh Jackson, and Ariza all had better Drtgs than him. His TRB% was absurdly low(6%), he had a negative vorp, he had a negative bpm. He's just not there defensively yet. He has the tools to get there, but he's not there yet..

Yeah Thybulle looks to already have a rare gift for disruption, he's definitely further along than Bridges at the moment, only takes a few minutes watching him to see it. He's averaging like 6 steals per 36 in the preseason and none of them are flukes or anything, just has a high motor, great anticipation, and good athleticism/length to annoy defenders and get to opportune spots.

Sixers definitely could use a guy like Bridges but Thybulle looks like he'll fit in pretty beautifully (and he's also a very solid cutter and shooter).

So do you think Thybulle will immediately be a top 5 or better wing defender in the NBA?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Efficient on offense too (this held up through the end of season)

Read on Twitter
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#31 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:So do you think Thybulle will immediately be a top 5 or better wing defender in the NBA?

Maybe to a Sixers blog the same way that Bridges is to a Phoenix blog? I mean, I'm all for standards and consistency.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#32 » by youngcrev » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Cklbmk wrote: Eh. Watch summer league, Thybulle's disruption is just on an entirely different level than Bridges. Bridges was a middle of the pack defender on the Suns last year. Oubre, Josh Jackson, and Ariza all had better Drtgs than him. His TRB% was absurdly low(6%), he had a negative vorp, he had a negative bpm. He's just not there defensively yet. He has the tools to get there, but he's not there yet..

So do you think Thybulle will immediately be a top 5 or better wing defender in the NBA?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter

That cherry picked stat at the end isn't even correct.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:02 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:So do you think Thybulle will immediately be a top 5 or better wing defender in the NBA?

Maybe to a Sixers blog the same way that Bridges is to a Phoenix blog? I mean, I'm all for standards and consistency.

Well, b-ball index isn't a Suns blog...it's an advanced stat site from the guys who created PIPM looking at the entire NBA.

But in general I agree. I liked Thybulle in the draft but I'm really high on Bridges...he just plays defense the right way and plays within the offense, moving the ball and shooting when open, but still recovering from injury so minutes have been limited.

Of course we will be higher on our own guys, and I'm higher than most on the Suns forum about Bridges....especially next to Booker and with Ayton there and the weak PF defense, though the team D overall has been playing well under Monty so far.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#34 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 am

youngcrev wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter

I checked it (at least for Bridges and it was) but maybe there were more other players, but this isn't a Suns blog...it's the guys who run a site of advanced stats and PIPM across the NBA.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#35 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:I checked it (at least for Bridges and it was) but maybe there were more other players, but this isn't a Suns blog...it's the guys who run a site of advanced stats and PIPM across the NBA.

The other site is the blog. And the tweet saying Bridges was a top player is from December, when small sample is in full force.

Here is how bball index scored Mikal in their Defensive Points Over Expectation for the whole season (not just one aspect of defense):

DPOE: + 0.2.

Note: Negative is better. Above 0 is less than average

I wouldn't have Bridges as a top 5 defender off their site. {The PIPM data doesn't seem to load for me, leaving just one of their two data sets}
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#36 » by youngcrev » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 am

bwgood77 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Read on Twitter

I checked it (at least for Bridges and it was) but maybe there were more other players, but this isn't a Suns blog...it's the guys who run a site of advanced stats and PIPM across the NBA.

I was talking about the tweet from the Suns that you posted. It reminded me of that Thad Young stat that had him up there with Bird, Magic, Jordan and LeBron, though not nearly as egregious.

There are more guys that qualify for that stat though, btw. Ben Simmons, for one.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 am

youngcrev wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I was talking about the tweet from the Suns that you posted. It reminded me of that Thad Young stat that had him up there with Bird, Magic, Jordan and LeBron, though not nearly as egregious.

There are more guys that qualify for that stat though, btw. Ben Simmons, for one.

Oh yeah, I thought it was still interesting, but I'm sure there are others and I hate cherry picked stats. There are some Suns twitter users and one blogger (Evan Sidery) who posts ridiculous cherry picked stats that mean nothing.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#38 » by doctor him » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 pm

As a general stance, I am opposed to the Sixers moving any of their top 7 rotation players for this season. "We" have gone through seasons of upheaval in the roster, and frankly I think these guys just need time to gel together.

Could they use another shooter? Sure. So could every squad. I fully expect them to get one on the buyout market after the Break.

Unless something radically changes (or the talent balance of a deal makes it too good to pass up), I think the following players should be considered off limits (Embiid, Simmons, Horford, Harris, Richardson, Scott, Thybulle).

That's not to say that these are the 7 best players in the league and are totally untouchable.

That is to say that this is the core of the team for this year, and it's a core that I see in the Finals in June.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#39 » by doctor him » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:06 pm

On the Bridges v. Thybulle debate:

Remember that "we" in Phila have seen Bridges for 3 years at Villanova. "We" saw him win 2 titles and we were pining for him in last year's draft. The draft and trade to Phoenix was a shocker to the fan base. "We" saw him as developing into Covington, but without the maddening ability to miss layups under the slightest pressure and perhaps being a more consistent shooter.

"We" loved and love Bridges.

That said...Thybulle is better for this team. He's the best combination of on the ball stopper and off the ball disruptor that I've seen come in as a rookie in quite a while. The Sixers put him on Kemba and Trae and he was a problem for both. I wouldn't deal him for Bridges straight up.
tobysunsfan
Junior
And1: 102

Post#40 » by tobysunsfan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:28 am

doctor him wrote:On the Bridges v. Thybulle debate:

Remember that "we" in Phila have seen Bridges for 3 years at Villanova. "We" saw him win 2 titles and we were pining for him in last year's draft. The draft and trade to Phoenix was a shocker to the fan base. "We" saw him as developing into Covington, but without the maddening ability to miss layups under the slightest pressure and perhaps being a more consistent shooter.

"We" loved and love Bridges.

That said...Thybulle is better for this team. He's the best combination of on the ball stopper and off the ball disruptor that I've seen come in as a rookie in quite a while. The Sixers put him on Kemba and Trae and he was a problem for both. I wouldn't deal him for Bridges straight up.

You don't think Bridges is less limited on offence though? Sixers need shooting, and I think Bridges is a much better shooter and passer. Albeit it hasn't been really enough time to judge Thybulle's shooting, I still give Bridges the benefit of the doubt.

Return to Trades and Transactions