[Woj] Bradley Beal agrees to 2-yr extension

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Does this mean he is staying in Washington?

Yes
53%
No - Makes valuable to trade with more years on his contract
47%

Total votes: 36

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Re: Bradley Beal agrees to 2-yr extension 

Post#21 » by giberish » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:14 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:His extension means he cant be traded for a year so he wont be moved this season.

Exactly.

And since he's staying this season, he might as well stay when John returns. Wall might be able to return to his former level, but more likely he'll just be a serviceable starter. Whatever it is, Brad signing says he'll willing to hold down the fort for now, and see what his former compadre can do.

He's obviously not waiting for a supermax, even though I always thought that was a pipe dream in Washington for him. But the fact that he signed bodes well for the Wizards long-term, and looks good on Beal.

I think Beal can legally be traded rather soon after this extension. There are different rules depending on the type of extension. Of course this does greatly reduce the likelyhood of Beal being moved as Washington no longer has the urgency of moving Beal before he walks.

I'd expect no major in-season moves for Washington. Play through the year and see where they are next summer in terms of youth and Wall.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Re: Bradley Beal agrees to 2-yr extension 

Post#22 » by Mojo Amok » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 pm

giberish wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:His extension means he cant be traded for a year so he wont be moved this season.

Exactly.

And since he's staying this season, he might as well stay when John returns. Wall might be able to return to his former level, but more likely he'll just be a serviceable starter. Whatever it is, Brad signing says he'll willing to hold down the fort for now, and see what his former compadre can do.

He's obviously not waiting for a supermax, even though I always thought that was a pipe dream in Washington for him. But the fact that he signed bodes well for the Wizards long-term, and looks good on Beal.

I think Beal can legally be traded rather soon after this extension.

The offseason is the soonest that it would even be legal to trade Brad:

Read on Twitter

I definitely don't see that as being even remotely likely, though.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: [Woj] Bradley Beal agrees to 2-yr extension 

Post#23 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
giberish wrote:I'm shocked that Beal signed an extension.

This is just continued raises from his current 25% contract. He could have made more money signing a full 30% max deal as a FA.

Though getting a short deal means that he'll be eligible for a 35% max deal when this deal ends.

Yeah I think this is concern about the cap going forward and lining up for his vet max.

And with the veteran max he doesn’t have to qualify for All-NBA or anything, he gets it automatically.

So it’s more straightforward that way vs him going for All-NBA and praying to get enough votes
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#24 » by marcush » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Good for Beal as it locks him in for 2 more gurenteed years of 25% max, mitigating risk of serious injury. Surprised more players don’t do this.

Good for Wiz as they keep their prime aged, plug and play all star for a further 1 year guaranteed. This also increases his trade value if they choose to rebuild.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#25 » by shrink » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm

With Beal off the table, who right now becomes the biggest available trade target for a championship-seeking team?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#26 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 pm

This is just continued raises from his current 25% contract. He could have made more money signing a full 30% max deal as a FA.

Though getting a short deal means that he'll be eligible for a 35% max deal when this deal ends.

Beal is a 7 year vet going into his 8th season, this is a 30% max contract extension.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#27 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm

queridiculo wrote:

Beal is a 7 year vet going into his 8th season, this is a 30% max contract extension.

That's actually not true.

Beal didn't qualify for a Designated Player extension (since he didn't make All-NBA) so he can only get an ordinary extension. Ordinary extensions can be no more than 120% of the final year of the previous contract (which was based on a 25% max contract). In 2020-21, Beal was scheduled to make $28.7M, so his extension in 2021-22 is $34.5M (and an 8% raise after that to give him $37.3M in the 2022-23 option year).

If he had waited until his current contract was up in 2021 and signed a brand new contract as opposed to an extension, he could then have signed a 30% contract, which would have started at roughly $39M (based on projections of the salary cap).

Basically, Beal left about $4.5M on the table by agreeing to an extension now instead of waiting until Summer 2021. Of course, he also is getting the security of locking in $72M of guaranteed money even if he gets hurt or declines dramatically. And he puts an end to all the trade talk.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#28 » by the_process » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:22 am

jbk1234 wrote:I think it makes a Wall trade more likely. You can't build around Beal with Wall on that roster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Exactly.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#29 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:25 pm

the_process wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think it makes a Wall trade more likely. You can't build around Beal with Wall on that roster.

Exactly.

I think so too.

It's more likely now than it was before. There is now time to trade Wall for 2021 expiring contracts, and then use the cap room to add free agents in Summer 2021, all in time to field a competitive team before Beal can opt out in 2022. Prior to the extension, that type of move would be too big of a gamble because Beal could leave in 2021 before management could build a strong enough team to convince him to stay.

All that said, I still don't think a Wall trade is very likely. All of the indications from management (and from Wall and Beal) is that everyone is looking forward to running it back with Wall and Beal as the superstars once Wall gets healthy. They've even built a team with a 5-out offense ideally suited for a penetrate-and-dish PG like Wall.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#30 » by Laimbeer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Now they have time for Wall to come back and see what he has left while Beal is still under contract. Any value Wall has is in his out years. They can at least semi-tank in the meantime.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

Now they have time for Wall to come back and see what he has left while Beal is still under contract. Any value Wall has is in his out years. They can at least semi-tank in the meantime.

I think they absolutely have to wait until he takes the floor to trade him. I'm not sure they'll be able to put together a realistic package to offload him until he does.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions