Midseason Marauders: BOS-CLE-IND

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Which Outcome?

ALL ACCEPT (no one declines)
11%
BOS ACCEPTS (CLE and IND decline)
11%
CLE ACCEPTS (BOS and IND decline)
56%
IND ACCEPTS (BOS and CLE decline)
No votes
BOS AND CLE ACCEPT (IND declines)
No votes
BOS AND IND ACCEPT (CLE declines)
No votes
CLE AND IND ACCEPT (BOS declines)
No votes
NO ONE ACCEPTS (all decline)
22%

Total votes: 9

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Midseason Marauders: BOS-CLE-IND 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:26 pm

If things don't get off to a smooth start for these teams, I could see a deal like this being worthwhile for all parties (eligible Dec 15th):

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7239340

BOS trades Hayward/Brown/G. Williams for Love/Warren/Lamb
The Celtics retool mid-stream so that the glut of wings and paucity of post presence doesn't torpedo their contending chances.
Walker, Smart, Tatum, Love, Kanter
Edwards, Lamb, Warren, R. Williams

CLE trades Love/Porter for McDermott/Brown/Sabonis
The Cavaliers get a jumpstart on 2020 FA, nabbing a couple of high-caliber young stars (along with their RFA rights). other teams will be less inclined to sign either to an offer sheet when they know CLE has the capspace to match, so Cleveland may be able to leverage this into more team-friendly deals.
Sexton, Brown, Osman, Nance, Sabonis
Garland, Clarkson, Windler, Thompson

IND trades Warren/Lamb/McDermott/Sabonis for Hayward/G. Williams/Porter
The Pacers scrap the Twin Towers plan by adding to their current cap number, in order to alleviate long-term salary concerns. They also reel in a pair of late-1st bargain prospects for depth.
Brogdon, {Oladipo}, Hayward, Leaf, Turner
Holiday, Holiday, Porter, G. Williams, Bitadze
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: Midseason Marauders: BOS-CLE-IND 

Post#2 » by Mykhyn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:38 pm

I dont really like it for Boston. Love/Kanter I just can't see working.

I think Boston would pursue Sabonis themselves for Brown + and just cut the Cavs out
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 pm

This is awful for the Cavs. We just drafted Porter and we're attaching him to Love? We'll have enough cap space to make a significant offer to either Sabonis or Brown, if we want to, after this season. I'd rather be in that position than be in the position where I felt like I had to match some other team's offer.

We have 5 centers and 7 guards on the roster already. We're sending out our only PF.

Oh, and I'll save you the suspense, the Cavs are going to be bad this year. There's no changing that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:If things don't get off to a smooth start for these teams, I could see a deal like this being worthwhile for all parties (eligible Dec 15th):

The Celtics retool mid-stream so that the glut of wings and paucity of post presence doesn't torpedo their contending chances.

The Cavaliers get a jumpstart on 2020 FA, nabbing a couple of high-caliber young stars (along with their RFA rights). other teams will be less inclined to sign either to an offer sheet when they know CLE has the capspace to match, so Cleveland may be able to leverage this into more team-friendly deals.

The Pacers scrap the Twin Towers plan by adding to their current cap number, in order to alleviate long-term salary concerns. They also reel in a pair of late-1st bargain prospects for depth.

Bold to say that adding a ton of salary this year and next is worth saving two years of back end salary on Dom. Or to say that a Leaf/Turner frontcourt would be in any way better than a Sabonis/Turner frontcourt.

Honestly, with the extra salary involved, you would have to take out Dom and Porter for us to even remotely consider this type of offer. It’s really quite an attempt at theft from Cleveland to think that Love/Porter could net Sabonis/Brown and a useful and relatively cheap McDermott.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 pm

So we give up two starters and our 6th man to get 2 guys just drafted as late picks attached to a horrible contract. Im not sure the package we get here is positive value as I'd want more to take on Hayward. We won't take him on for less than market value just because he's from Indy.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:If things don't get off to a smooth start for these teams, I could see a deal like this being worthwhile for all parties (eligible Dec 15th):

Bold to say that adding a ton of salary this year and next is worth saving two years of back end salary on Dom. Or to say that a Leaf/Turner frontcourt would be in any way better than a Sabonis/Turner frontcourt.

Honestly, with the extra salary involved, you would have to take out Dom and Porter for us to even remotely consider this type of offer. It’s really quite an attempt at theft from Cleveland to think that Love/Porter could net Sabonis/Brown and a useful and relatively cheap McDermott.
I mean Brown just turned down $80M and Sabonis hasn't extended yet. These guys are looking to get paid and will get large offers. It impacts their trade value.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:16 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I mean Brown just turned down $80M and Sabonis hasn't extended yet. These guys are looking to get paid and will get large offers. It impacts their trade value.

...And they’re on the scale of really good to great young players. Also, it’s offset a bit by moving Kevin Love’s salary, so it’s not bad.

But overall, getting Sabonis OR Brown for Love isn’t likely, so getting both in terms of talent is a huge win. Porter may have been a 1st this past year, but just barely and is probably better viewed as a developmental guy that Cleveland will like better than other teams likely would (or else they would’ve drafted him). Generally, good talent gets paid.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:37 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

...And they’re on the scale of really good to great young players. Also, it’s offset a bit by moving Kevin Love’s salary, so it’s not bad.

But overall, getting Sabonis OR Brown for Love isn’t likely, so getting both in terms of talent is a huge win. Porter may have been a 1st this past year, but just barely and is probably better viewed as a developmental guy that Cleveland will like better than other teams likely would (or else they would’ve drafted him). Generally, good talent gets paid.
From the Cavs perspective they can keep Love and Porter and will have plenty of space to make a big offer to either one next summer, which frankly makes a lot more sense.

Right now, no one knows how much the cap will be and I'm not sure how much I'd be comfortable offering either player. Plus, I'd like to see Garland, Sexton, Porter, and Windler play this year before making Brown any type of offer at all.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#9 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 am

From a Celtics perspective:

I wouldnt trade Hayward for Love straight up, I wouldnt trade Brown for Warren straight up and I wouldnt trade Williams for Lamb straight up. I absolutely wouldnt do all three combined.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:30 am

Cklbmk wrote:I dont really like it for Boston. Love/Kanter I just can't see working.

I think Boston would pursue Sabonis themselves for Brown + and just cut the Cavs out

You don't have to agree with the line I proposed. Perhaps This or Poitier fits better with the starters, perhaps Warren helps them go small, who knows! That's not a valid reason to pan the deal, Enes' presence isn't holding up a deal to make the Celtics better.

As for the straight-up deal, eh, I don't think the Pacers want to pay Jaylen max money to be Victor's backup.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#11 » by Mykhyn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:I dont really like it for Boston. Love/Kanter I just can't see working.

You don't have to agree with the line I proposed. Perhaps This or Poitier fits better with the starters, perhaps Warren helps them go small, who knows! That's not a valid reason to pan the deal, Enes' presence isn't holding up a deal to make the Celtics better.

As for the straight-up deal, eh, I don't think the Pacers want to pay Jaylen max money to be Victor's backup.

Jaylen is fine at SF. He wouldn't be Oladipo's backup.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#12 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 pm

on top of everything else, neither Boston nor Indy want to help one another. I don't expect the Pacers to give up on the Sabonis/Turner combination mid-season, but if they did, I bet they'd hold out for a Western Conference deal.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Wizop wrote:on top of everything else, neither Boston nor Indy want to help one another. I don't expect the Pacers to give up on the Sabonis/Turner combination mid-season, but if they did, I bet they'd hold out for a Western Conference deal.

I don't think anyone but the Cavs are getting helped here. Both Indy and Boston are worse after this deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I mean Brown just turned down $80M and Sabonis hasn't extended yet. These guys are looking to get paid and will get large offers. It impacts their trade value.

From the Cavs perspective they can keep Love and Porter and will have plenty of space to make a big offer to either one next summer, which frankly makes a lot more sense.

And that's fine if you want to just have them matched where they're at (we would on Dom, but an extension is mentioned as pretty likely in Indy news, so he may not be available) next summer, but if you want to acquire them now? You'd have to pay the price. And right now, a package of Sabonis/Brown is simply more valuable than Love/Porter.
jbk1234 wrote:Right now, no one knows how much the cap will be and I'm not sure how much I'd be comfortable offering either player. Plus, I'd like to see Garland, Sexton, Porter, and Windler play this year before making Brown any type of offer at all.

Sounds like you'd likely support Cleveland sitting out free agency for a couple more years and just seeing how Garland, Sexton, Porter, and Windler develop and maybe just go for a Jaylen Brown on his 3rd contract, then?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

And that's fine if you want to just have them matched where they're at (we would on Dom, but an extension is mentioned as pretty likely in Indy news, so he may not be available) next summer, but if you want to acquire them now? You'd have to pay the price. And right now, a package of Sabonis/Brown is simply more valuable than Love/Porter.
jbk1234 wrote:Right now, no one knows how much the cap will be and I'm not sure how much I'd be comfortable offering either player. Plus, I'd like to see Garland, Sexton, Porter, and Windler play this year before making Brown any type of offer at all.

Sounds like you'd likely support Cleveland sitting out free agency for a couple more years and just seeing how Garland, Sexton, Porter, and Windler develop and maybe just go for a Jaylen Brown on his 3rd contract, then?

Or, if Brown has another meh season, maybe you don't go for him at all and ride with what you have. As far as Sabonis, Pacers fans seem really confident that he's going to continue to grow. If he does, then he's a lock for a rookie max. If he starts to level off, then deciding what constitutes a fair contract gets a lot more tricky. But I don't think the Cavs are far enough along where they should be taking those risks unnecessarily let alone surrendering value for the privilege of doing so. Next summer will be the first summer where they can build a balanced roster. They should be going with organic growth for a year or two and then start making high-risk/high-reward moves.

As things stand now, the Cavs have three guys who are 19, one guy who is 20, Cedi, Nance, Love, and maybe Henson. As far as the rest of the roster, it's unbalanced and filled with players who won't be here after this season. We have a new coach, implementing a new system, and two guys in TT and Clarkson who are good enough to worry about the fact they're in contract years. We're going to have a rough 30 games coming out of the gate. Like possibly worst team in the league bad. So, no I don't see any reason to make any moves like this now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#16 » by tidho » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm doing that if i'm CLE.

Return to Trades and Transactions