Washington makes it's move and they Love it.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Washington makes it's move and they Love it. 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:42 am

Wiz send: Bryant, Miles, Mahinmi, 2020 1st (lotto for 3 years then 2 2nds)
Cavs send: Love

Why for Washington? They get an all star and floor spacer to pair with Beal and later Wall. Love is probably the most affordable "star".

Why for Cleveland? They cash out on Love and get a young center, expirings, and a 1st to help reset things.

Side note, both teams evade the tax with this too.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,081

Re: Washington makes it's move and they Love it. 

Post#2 » by axeman23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:19 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:Wiz send: Bryant, Miles, Mahinmi, 2020 1st (lotto for 3 years then 2 2nds)

Why for Washington? They get an all star and floor spacer to pair with Beal and later Wall. Love is probably the most affordable "star".

Why for Cleveland? They cash out on Love and get a young center, expirings, and a 1st to help reset things.

Cavs don't need another centre, the only piece of real tangible value coming back from Washington. Especially for their 1 power forward, who's an All-star.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#3 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:33 am

axeman23 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Wiz send: Bryant, Miles, Mahinmi, 2020 1st (lotto for 3 years then 2 2nds)

Cavs don't need another centre, the only piece of real tangible value coming back from Washington. Especially for their 1 power forward, who's an All-star.

Fwiw Love is best at center at this point and Thompson, Henson, and Mahinmi all expire. Having Nance, Bryant, and Zizic isn't a bad center grouping.

If anything they could reroute Bryant to someone like Boston (for Thies+), or Atlanta for Jabari.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,081

Post#4 » by axeman23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:02 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
axeman23 wrote:

Fwiw Love is best at center at this point and Thompson, Henson, and Mahinmi all expire. Having Nance, Bryant, and Zizic isn't a bad center grouping.

If anything they could reroute Bryant to someone like Boston (for Thies+), or Atlanta for Jabari.

They were playing Cedi Osman at the 4 last year, that tells you something about their stocks there. As for re-routing Bryant for Thiess/Jabari, I probably like them even less, especially as the "prize" in a Love trade...
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#5 » by TGW » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:14 pm

The Wizards love Bryant. They aren't trading him for an aging, overpaid Love.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm

TGW wrote:The Wizards love Bryant. They aren't trading him for an aging, overpaid Love.

Now Kevin Love isn't worth the second coming Triston Thompson? People have lost their minds. If you're not interested in adding Love because of factors like his age, injury history, and contract, just say so. But there's no universe in which the Cavs are giving away a PF who averaged 17ppg and 11rpg, in a down a year, and there's no universe in which the Wizards are getting a player like that for free.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,678

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Not interested in Love at this point as a Wiz fan but I agree with you on the reasons, jbk. (a) It isn't going to improve the team to any degree. Our main problems are interior defense and rebounding and Love isn't even a defensive upgrade from Bryant who didn't show much on that end last year. (b) Our time line is 3-5 years away, 2 with some great and lucky breaks (which we don't have the karma stored to deserve). Beal is young enough to be willing to build talent around but Love isn't. (c) With the thinness of the talent in Washington and the cap hell that Ernie Grunfeld left behind, we can't afford to be trading away the cost controlled talent that our 1st rounder will bring us.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#8 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Love, with his age, injury history, and contract, isn't worth a first round pick, much less a 1st and Bryant. And the Wizards of all teams are not the ones who would consider trading the future for now.

I continue to be befuddled by the recent flurry of Wizards trade proposals involving trading youth and picks for over-the-hill vets. Don't you understand that Beal's extension means that the Wizards no longer have to trade the future for now in a desperate attempt to convince Beal to stay? Indeed, the extension means that Beal is all-in on a longer time horizon.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Not interested in Love at this point as a Wiz fan but I agree with you on the reasons, jbk. (a) It isn't going to improve the team to any degree. Our main problems are interior defense and rebounding and Love isn't even a defensive upgrade from Bryant who didn't show much on that end last year. (b) Our time line is 3-5 years away, 2 with some great and lucky breaks (which we don't have the karma stored to deserve). Beal is young enough to be willing to build talent around but Love isn't. (c) With the thinness of the talent in Washington and the cap hell that Ernie Grunfeld left behind, we can't afford to be trading away the cost controlled talent that our 1st rounder will bring us.

I disagree that Love wouldn't improve your team but to each their own. The difference between what the Cavs look like when he's on the court versus off the court is pretty remarkable. I'm also a little skeptical that your timeline is 3-5 years. I see it as 2-3 years.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#10 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:43 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Not interested in Love at this point as a Wiz fan but I agree with you on the reasons, jbk. (a) It isn't going to improve the team to any degree. Our main problems are interior defense and rebounding and Love isn't even a defensive upgrade from Bryant who didn't show much on that end last year. (b) Our time line is 3-5 years away, 2 with some great and lucky breaks (which we don't have the karma stored to deserve). Beal is young enough to be willing to build talent around but Love isn't. (c) With the thinness of the talent in Washington and the cap hell that Ernie Grunfeld left behind, we can't afford to be trading away the cost controlled talent that our 1st rounder will bring us.

Also Bryant played 82 games.
I don't trust Love from a health standpoint and at that salary , it's definitely an issue
penbeast0
And1: 8,678

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
I disagree that Love wouldn't improve your team but to each their own. The difference between what the Cavs look like when he's on the court versus off the court is pretty remarkable. I'm also a little skeptical that your timeline is 3-5 years. I see it as 2-3 years.

By improve, I meant make us a contender in the next 1-2 years (short term) or in a stronger position if we do a good job with talent acquisition and development 3-5 years from now. One of my big fears is that the team will think as you do and short circuit the talent acquisition and development phase to try to push for the playoffs without a solid base. As a fan for the last 40+ years, I have seen the Wizards do that time after time; never actually creating a contending team since the 1970s.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Trades and Transactions