Kings regret giving Harrison Barnes $85M deal [Shams]

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Kings regret giving Harrison Barnes $85M deal [Shams] 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter

#thevillain
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Re: Kings regret giving Harrison Barnes $85M deal [Shams] 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 pm

The best thing to do when you regret overpaying someone within six months of have done so is to announce it publicly so as to both alienate that player and communicate to the league that he's got negative value on that contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Hilarious.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#4 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The best thing to do when you regret overpaying someone within six months of have done so is to announce it publicly so as to both alienate that player and communicate to the league that he's got negative value on that contract.

SO why believe this?

Shams said the Kings denied this

It’s NBA Centrals bad, and reputation
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#5 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The best thing to do when you regret overpaying someone within six months of have done so is to announce it publicly so as to both alienate that player and communicate to the league that he's got negative value on that contract.

SO why believe this?

Just because they denied it doesnt mean its not true. He's a 14-16 million dollar player so it is a bad contract.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#6 » by becorz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

SO why believe this?

Just because they denied it doesnt mean its not true. He's a 14-16 million dollar player so it is a bad contract.

Below is what I posted in the wire tap article for this.

The full quote from the article in the athletic.
The Kings also have set a precedent in talks with Hield based on the four-year, $85 million deal given to Harrison Barnes in the offseason, a deal league sources say the franchise has already expressed some remorse over due to its impact on contracts to come. A source close to the Kings denied that the team has had any remorse over the deal.

On my end, I don't buy that the Kings are showing remorse already. It's obvious that the source saying that is someone else....maybe Buddy's team to get him a better contract, maybe another team because they might want Barnes. Or maybe someone else.

But unless the Kings are just the worst run team in the NBA, they definitely did a bunch of salary cap modeling before they signed Barnes to that deal. They knew what was going to happen in the upcoming years with all these extensions.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#7 » by dakomish23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:28 pm

So you're going to avoid paying someone who's likely worth it b/c you overpaid someone who wasn't????

All of us knew that Barnes deal was a big overpay when we saw it. 4/50 was my limit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#8 » by dorkestra » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:28 pm

A news story like this is a good litmus test to see who is actually paying attention. Obviously the Kings would not admit this even if they felt that way.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#9 » by gom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 pm

I don't even think that's a bad contract if he plays up to it. Also, his deal decreases by $2m every season. At age 30, it's only $18m and the salary cap could be much higher.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,860

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:35 pm

gom wrote:I don't even think that's a bad contract if he plays up to it.

So literally every contract in the NBA?

How pointless...
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,733

Post#11 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Shout out the the Sacramento Kings for always making me feel better about my team
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
gom

Post#12 » by gom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 pm

This disrespect of the Kings is going to look bad after their team is slaying.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#13 » by sacking123 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 pm

dorkestra wrote:A news story like this is a good litmus test to see who is actually paying attention. Obviously the Kings would not admit this even if they felt that way.

It really is. I get the trolls, but you even have respectable posters sinking to their level.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#14 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 pm

This was NBA Central trying to make a story, really speaks to the integrity of whatever that is
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,828

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:31 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
dorkestra wrote:A news story like this is a good litmus test to see who is actually paying attention. Obviously the Kings would not admit this even if they felt that way.

It really is. I get the trolls, but you even have respectable posters sinking to their level.

I mean we could also all pretend that people in front offices don't speak out of turn to the media I guess. :roll:

Do they regret it? IDK. Am I going to just dismiss a report from Shams who doesn't have a reputation for making things up and has absolutely no incentive to do so.

I hate this notion that when we don't like a report it must be trash and anyone who gives even a modicum of credence to it must be a troll.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,828

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Colbinii wrote:
gom wrote:I don't even think that's a bad contract if he plays up to it.

So literally every contract in the NBA?

How pointless...

You know the point he was trying to make. You can disagree with it or ignore it if you feel it lacks substance. Making a post just to tell him his post is worthless doesn't further discussion in a positive way. Please contribute in future posts or refrain.

Thanks

Chuck
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#17 » by dorkestra » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

I mean we could also all pretend that people in front offices don't speak out of turn to the media I guess. :roll:

Do they regret it? IDK. Am I going to just dismiss a report from Shams who doesn't have a reputation for making things up and has absolutely no incentive to do so.

I hate this notion that when we don't like a report it must be trash and anyone who gives even a modicum of credence to it must be a troll.

But Shams reports says the Kings denied this. Source would seem far more likely to be associated with Hield's agent, wouldn't you think? Just seems more likely than the alternative IMO.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#18 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

Shams already said Kings denied it, but why would anyone in the Kings FO leak they are unhappy with a signing of theirs?

The fact this site, nba central cherry picked it smacks of 50% sensationalism, 50% “go at the Kings” stuff of yesteryear
gom

Post#19 » by gom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:56 pm

This negotiation with Hield already seems problematic:

Read on Twitter

The Kings would likely feel better about paying him if he showed more resolution to deal with them.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#20 » by Apz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Can probably trade him to the knicks.

Return to Trades and Transactions