Mavs and Knicks deal again

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Mavs and Knicks deal again 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Lee
Brunson
2020 GSW 2nd

for

Morris

Mavs go get that big forward they are missing in Morris. Lots of talk about maybe trying to keep Morris long-term in NY so Dallas tries to convince them by giving them their most valuable pick and young player(probably the PG the Knicks should have asked for in the KP deal).

Knicks cash out of a late FA signing by getting a very high 2nd and a professional young PG under cheap control next year and with a tiny cap hold the important 2021 summer.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavs and Knicks deal again 

Post#2 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:47 pm

No no no and hell no, there is zero reason for a team void of assets to give them up for a rental that doesn't get us at least a playoff series win
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,013

Post#3 » by R-DAWG » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:56 pm

The Knicks need to be forever banned from trading with the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas has destroyed them in the last 2 trades.

All time great Knicks logic - we need to use the last year of Tyson Chandler as value to move off the extra year of Raymond Felton's contract. However we took on Jose Calderon, who had 1 extra year salary than Felton at double the dollar amount. But don't worry Knick fans, Calderon and Marc Gasol are friends, that's the genius of this trade.

Dallas leads the league in sucking value out of the Knicks in exchange for cap space.

Having said that, I like Brunson as a prospect and IMO, Brunson + GSW 2nd Rd pick for Morris is a solid return (especially if they can flip DSJ for another guy who needs a change of scenery like Malik Monk).
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#4 » by SmokeyPaw » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Pinkyring wrote:No no no and hell no, there is zero reason for a team void of assets to give them up for a rental that doesn't get us at least a playoff series win

Think NY should do this, its a solid return. I'll leave the mavs up to you two.
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 510

Post#5 » by letsgobulls23 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm

NY should take that and run if offered
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:34 pm

I think the Mavs should just stand pat on this deal. Maxi/KP/WCS/Boban/Finney should be able to hold the fort until someone gets bought out.

Morris is a damn good player who would help bring toughness, but wouldn't he definitely be a rental on that 1 year deal? If they could resign him id say you do this without a doubt.
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
All time great Knicks logic - we need to use the last year of Tyson Chandler as value to move off the extra year of Raymond Felton's contract. However we took on Jose Calderon, who had 1 extra year salary than Felton at double the dollar amount. But don't worry Knick fans, Calderon and Marc Gasol are friends, that's the genius of this trade.

I think Donnie Nelson has some sort of mind meld working when acquiring Tyson Chandler. The first time Dallas got him the Hornets(Bobcats at the time I think?) were salary dumping him for the ungtd Dampier contract yet Dallas somehow got them to take the 3 years remaining on the Matt Carroll contract in the same deal.

Like give us your good defensive center while taking back our unattractive contract, k thanks!
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I think the Mavs should just stand pat on this deal. Maxi/KP/WCS/Boban/Finney should be able to hold the fort until someone gets bought out.

You could argue that. You could also argue Morris is playing better than all of those guys right now. I think Dallas started this season content to just make the playoffs. But when Luka decided to show up and be a top 5 MVP candidate in year 2 Donnie Nelson has been quite clear publicly that their time table has been accelerated.

I think the plan might have been wait until 2021 and try and make one more really big move then and just give KP and Luka a couple years to ramp up. Now I think they want to win series while still maintaining the ability to add a big piece in 2021.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#9 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:42 pm

What a gross overpay for a rental. Mavs should expect Ntilikina back as well for what they’re giving up
FIRE JASON KIDD
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#10 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 pm

We've got one of those if you're offering that.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#11 » by Knosh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Brunson and the GSW pick seems a bit too much imo. Just the pick might get it done, in which case I would find it kinda interesting. Would like it more than Iggy for example.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Morris is a damn good player who would help bring toughness, but wouldn't he definitely be a rental on that 1 year deal? If they could resign him id say you do this without a doubt.

I think the Mavs could offer him a deal starting with up to $18 mil in the first year with non-bird rights, so this wouldn't have to be a rental.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I think the Mavs should just stand pat on this deal. Maxi/KP/WCS/Boban/Finney should be able to hold the fort until someone gets bought out.

You could argue that. You could also argue Morris is playing better than all of those guys right now. I think Dallas started this season content to just make the playoffs. But when Luka decided to show up and be a top 5 MVP candidate in year 2 Donnie Nelson has been quite clear publicly that their time table has been accelerated.

I think the plan might have been wait until 2021 and try and make one more really big move then and just give KP and Luka a couple years to ramp up. Now I think they want to win series while still maintaining the ability to add a big piece in 2021.

That makes sense. I love Morris, I wanted the Kings to go after him badly. Hes the perfect guy for any playoff team, versatile and can hit the 3 at a good clip. Not the best defender but hes physical which is always a good thing.

I would love him as a long term piece for Dallas, and honestly I don't think the GSW 2nd round pick or Brunson is going to make or break this team moving forward. I have no problem with Dallas trying to get Luka a series win.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#13 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 pm

I see no reason for NY helping the Mavs gain some confidence for next season. The GS 2nd is nice and all, but eyes on the prize for 2021.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,566

Post#14 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 pm

I like it for both, Morris has been great this season.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,013

Post#15 » by R-DAWG » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:58 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I thought the free giveaway at the Knicks/Mavs game last year was our best player. Most teams give like a t-shirt.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#16 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Knosh wrote:Brunson and the GSW pick seems a bit too much imo. Just the pick might get it done, in which case I would find it kinda interesting. Would like it more than Iggy for example.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Morris is a damn good player who would help bring toughness, but wouldn't he definitely be a rental on that 1 year deal? If they could resign him id say you do this without a doubt.

I think the Mavs could offer him a deal starting with up to $18 mil in the first year with non-bird rights, so this wouldn't have to be a rental.

Why on earth would we pay him 18m? We're already paying 55m for kp maxi powell and bo an and u think paying another big thats not a big a good idea.... no
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#17 » by Knosh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Knosh wrote:Brunson and the GSW pick seems a bit too much imo. Just the pick might get it done, in which case I would find it kinda interesting. Would like it more than Iggy for example.

Why on earth would we pay him 18m? We're already paying 55m for kp maxi powell and bo an and u think paying another big thats not a big a good idea.... no

I bolded a few words in my other post. You might have missed those. I'm not suggesting that you and the rest of the Mavs organisation pay him that, I'm just talking about what would be possible theoretically under the CBA in response to someone under the impression that you and the rest of the Mavs organisation would have no way of resigning him.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#18 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Hell no
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,498

Post#19 » by jayjaysee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:06 pm

I would do it.

I think I’d try to keep Brunson and trade Curry though. Understand Curry is the better player by a healthy margin. But I’d like to hold on to Brunsons contract. And Wright/THJ/JJB/Brunson can hold the guard spot. Maybe even take Ellington from NY.

So Curry to Philly for whatever assets they’d give up and Morris to Dallas. And Dallas fills in the blank between Curry’s value and Morris’

Then if we do pay Morris 15~ this offseason, we likely only need to drop Powell’s money to be in same 2021 boat..
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#20 » by Apz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:17 pm

"Only" drop powells Money? He is a big that will come back from an achilles injury with several years left on contract. there is no "only", would probably cost Another first to drop. And i sure as hell aint dropping 2020 first to aquire morris just to have to drop the 2025 first to get rid of Powell to get a maxslot in 2021.

Return to Trades and Transactions