What is a fair return for Ben Simmons?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

What is a fair return for Ben Simmons? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:18 am

If the 76ers looked exposed after the playoffs and decided to build around Joel Embiid, what is the best trade they could get for Ben Simmons?
Tornelyus
Sophomore
And1: 83

Re: What is a fair return for Ben Simmons? 

Post#2 » by Tornelyus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 am

A draft day trade before poison pill expires:

PHI sends: Simmons (8.1), Horford (28), Mike Scott (4.8) + filler (Neto, O'quinn if needed? 1.6 each)
PHI receives: Jrue (26) , Mitch Robinson (1.6), DSJr (4.5) + filler Portis (15) Payton (8), NYK morris exception (3.9), (if needed Darius Miller Exception 3.6) + Dal 21 1st, LAC 20 1st

NYK sends: Mitch Robinson (1.6), DSJr (4.5) + filler Portis (15) Payton (8), NYK morris exception (3.9), Randle (18), RJ Barrett (7.8) LAC 20 1st, NYK 21 1st (top 5 prot), Dal 21 1st, Dal 23 1st(ttp),
NYK receives: Simmons (29? 25?), Horford (28), Phi filler( neto, oQuinn to salary work),

NOP sends: Jrue (26), (+ darius Miller exception if needed)
NOP receives: Randle (18), RJ Barrett (7.8) Mike Scott (4.8), NYK 21 1st (top 5 prot), Dal 23 1st

Philly turns Simmons to Jrue and 2 1sts. Jrue can guard 1 to 3 and above average shooter. Tobias slides into 4, Mitch would be a nice backup for Embiid with a very team friendly contract. DSJr might work, at least for the second unit.

Simmons with 5 year contract almost guarantees there will be less boo's for Dolan. Though his contract will not age well, Horford is still very useful player, and a locker room presence. 4 picks and losing Barrett (and mitch also) hurts but anyway we dont have patience and culture to develop young talents, seeking for short solutions. They can resign Morris and add CAA connected Melo to have a shot at least 6th spot? which would hurt less for 21 pick going to Pels.

I am sure Pels may receive better offers for Jrue but pairing Zion with his best friend will not hurt their chance to keep this core intact for decade. I dont like Randle and I dont think neither Pels does but with one of the picks, they may turn his contract into a useful one. If Pels really likes someone in this draft, NYK may keep 21st, by exchanging picks with Pels, depending on the lottery.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#3 » by GutUNC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Tornelyus wrote:A draft day trade before poison pill expires:

PHI sends: Simmons (8.1), Horford (28), Mike Scott (4.8) + filler (Neto, O'quinn if needed? 1.6 each)
PHI receives: Jrue (26) , Mitch Robinson (1.6), DSJr (4.5) + filler Portis (15) Payton (8), NYK morris exception (3.9), (if needed Darius Miller Exception 3.6) + Dal 21 1st, LAC 20 1st

NYK sends: Mitch Robinson (1.6), DSJr (4.5) + filler Portis (15) Payton (8), NYK morris exception (3.9), Randle (18), RJ Barrett (7.8) LAC 20 1st, NYK 21 1st (top 5 prot), Dal 21 1st, Dal 23 1st(ttp),
NYK receives: Simmons (29? 25?), Horford (28), Phi filler( neto, oQuinn to salary work),

NOP receives: Randle (18), RJ Barrett (7.8) Mike Scott (4.8), NYK 21 1st (top 5 prot), Dal 23 1st

Philly turns Simmons to Jrue and 2 1sts. Jrue can guard 1 to 3 and above average shooter. Tobias slides into 4, Mitch would be a nice backup for Embiid with a very team friendly contract. DSJr might work, at least for the second unit.

Simmons with 5 year contract almost guarantees there will be less boo's for Dolan. Though his contract will not age well, Horford is still very useful player, and a locker room presence. 4 picks and losing Barrett (and mitch also) hurts but anyway we dont have patience and culture to develop young talents, seeking for short solutions. They can resign Morris and add CAA connected Melo to have a shot at least 6th spot? which would hurt less for 21 pick going to Pels.

I am sure Pels may receive better offers for Jrue but pairing Zion with his best friend will not hurt their chance to keep this core intact for decade. I dont like Randle and I dont think neither Pels does but with one of the picks, they may turn his contract into a useful one. If Pels really likes someone in this draft, NYK may keep 21st, by exchanging picks with Pels, depending on the lottery.

So you have the Sixers dealing Simmons and not getting a single high-ceiling player or draft pick back?
GDTBATH
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#4 » by expatbayern » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:59 pm

I've said before I would do McCollum, Collins, and two firsts, which I think is one of the strongest offers Philly could hope for, but I doubt the Portland FO would make that aggressive of a move.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,823

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Washington 2020 1st + Beal
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,452

Post#6 » by Myth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm

expatbayern wrote:I've said before I would do McCollum, Collins, and two firsts, which I think is one of the strongest offers Philly could hope for, but I doubt the Portland FO would make that aggressive of a move.

I wish they would.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#7 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Simmons value is so hard to assess IMO. He’s 23 with virtually no ceiling, but questions about willingness to improve. Philly could sorely regret trading him or win big by pairing Embiid with a championship-ready guard.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:51 pm

I've said before I would do McCollum, Collins, and two firsts, which I think is one of the strongest offers Philly could hope for, but I doubt the Portland FO would make that aggressive of a move.

Ya, I think this is such a good deal for each team. CJ is exactly what they need at guard, Zach is a medium-ceiling floor spacer that fits really well next to Joel and then they get two picks. For PDX, Simmons would give us a unique high end talent.

Make the above move, then move Horford for CP3 in some larger deal.

G - Chris Paul / ?
G - CJ McCollum / Josh Richardson
F - Tobias Harris / Josh Richardson
F - Zach Collins / Tobias Harris
C - Joel Embiid / Zach Collins
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#9 » by NYG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:09 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Ya, I think this is such a good deal for each team. CJ is exactly what they need at guard, Zach is a medium-ceiling floor spacer that fits really well next to Joel and then they get two picks. For PDX, Simmons would give us a unique high end talent.

G - Chris Paul / ?

Would you unprotect a 2023 1st?

2020 1st, 2023 1st, Collins and McCollum
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#10 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm

GutUNC wrote:

So you have the Sixers dealing Simmons and not getting a single high-ceiling player or draft pick back?

They're getting the main piece of the Porzingis deal, DSJ. What else could you need??
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#11 » by Norm2953 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

I'd personally do CJ, Collins and 2 FRP trade for Simmons. Likely there would be some protections on the
picks but perhaps limited to top 3.

That would allow Portland to slot Trent jr to his natural position of SG to become the new Wesley Matthews.
Simmons would play PF/SF depending on matchups and reduce the ball handling burden for Dame.
Tornelyus
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#12 » by Tornelyus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

They're getting the main piece of the Porzingis deal, DSJ. What else could you need??

Come on, Jrue is a possible all star, possible all def candidate, he can create, he can defend. And Mitch has value also (I like him, Knicks forum likes him, cheap, exciting, may keep Embiid fresh and well rested). And Knicks takes Horford (or Tobias) contract.
Maybe Knicks 20 pick (5-6?) goes to Pels, Pels lottery pick (10-11?) goes to Phi, and Knicks keep Lac 20 and own 21.
expatbayern
Senior

Post#13 » by expatbayern » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:50 pm

NYG wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

G - Chris Paul / ?

Would you unprotect a 2023 1st?

2020 1st, 2023 1st, Collins and McCollum

I'd be willing to (knowing that they'd have Lillard and Simmons locked up I wouldn't be super concerned about shipping a high pick), but again I'm probably willing to go a lot further than Olshey is IRL.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#14 » by VDT » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:58 pm

If i am the Sixers i would trade him only for something that gets me closer to a title,not just a better fit. So better fit and similar value as a player. I also would not hold my breath that such a trade is available. In other words i think the Sixers, barring a superstar or high level star becomes available, would only trade Embiid or Simmons if they are forced to do it.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#15 » by cjmcallist » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 pm

expatbayern wrote:I've said before I would do McCollum, Collins, and two firsts, which I think is one of the strongest offers Philly could hope for, but I doubt the Portland FO would make that aggressive of a move.

That seems like a good offer.

OKC would try to outbid if possible. Curious to see how POR/OKC can match up offers. Would have to be after the league year rolls over.

OKC starts with C. Paul, but could be talked into Gallinari. Though, it might make sense to maximize PHI's roster with Paul instead of another forward next to Harris and Horford.

PHI sends:
B. Simmons
M. Scott

PHI receives:
C. Paul
2021 OKC 1st (unp.)
2022 LAC 1st (unp.)
2023 MIA 1st (lot. prot, but rolls)
2024 HOU 1st (top 4 prot.)
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#16 » by GutUNC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm

cjmcallist wrote:

That seems like a good offer.

OKC would try to outbid if possible. Curious to see how POR/OKC can match up offers. Would have to be after the league year rolls over.

OKC starts with C. Paul, but could be talked into Gallinari. Though, it might make sense to maximize PHI's roster with Paul instead of another forward next to Harris and Horford.

PHI sends:
B. Simmons
M. Scott

PHI receives:
C. Paul
2021 OKC 1st (unp.)
2022 LAC 1st (unp.)
2023 MIA 1st (lot. prot, but rolls)
2024 HOU 1st (top 4 prot.)

CP3 and 4 (most likely) late 1sts ain’t getting it done.
GDTBATH
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#17 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Donovan Mitchell is a fair return.
It has been written...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 am

Colbinii wrote:Washington 2020 1st + Beal

That's actually not too bad, but see the next quote:

ProcessDoctor wrote:Simmons value is so hard to assess IMO. He’s 23 with virtually no ceiling, but questions about willingness to improve. Philly could sorely regret trading him or win big by pairing Embiid with a championship-ready guard.

If someone thinks they can motivate him to improve his shooting (and he actually did) his value would sky rocket.

Norm2953 wrote:I'd personally do CJ, Collins and 2 FRP trade for Simmons. Likely there would be some protections on the

That would allow Portland to slot Trent jr to his natural position of SG to become the new Wesley Matthews.
Simmons would play PF/SF depending on matchups and reduce the ball handling burden for Dame.

That just might be accepted by both teams IMO. But Portland just might leave Trent on the bench and start Simmons at PG with Lillard moved to SG (and they'd probably both handle the ball). That'd be the problem, one ball for Lillard & Simmons to share - but I believe those two would make it work.

VDT wrote:If i am the Sixers i would trade him only for something that gets me closer to a title,not just a better fit. So better fit and similar value as a player. I also would not hold my breath that such a trade is available. In other words i think the Sixers, barring a superstar or high level star becomes available, would only trade Embiid or Simmons if they are forced to do it.

"I also would not hold my breath that such a trade is available." That's the truth.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#19 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 am

NOP in: Bagley, Corey Joseph
SAC in: Simmons, Smith or Thybulle
PHI in: Holiday, Barnes, Kings 2020 FRP, pick swap with Kings in 2021

New Orleans gets another guy who fits the time table of their core players.

Sacramento pairs Fox with another ball handler that likes to play in a fast paced offense. Spacing could be an issue but that is mitigated by playing Bjelica at the 5 in crunch time.

Philly gets two high quality starting players who fit much better next to Embiid and still allows them to retain their defensive identity and also receive at least one lottery pick for moving off of Simmons.
expatbayern
Senior

Post#20 » by expatbayern » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:51 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I'd personally do CJ, Collins and 2 FRP trade for Simmons. Likely there would be some protections on the

That just might be accepted by both teams IMO. But Portland just might leave Trent on the bench and start Simmons at PG with Lillard moved to SG (and they'd probably both handle the ball). That'd be the problem, one ball for Lillard & Simmons to share - but I believe those two would make it work.

I'd have Simmons as the nominal PF (his best position IMO) but sharing ballhandling with Dame. Then you basically just want two 3&D guys between them (coming from any combination of Trent/Little/healthy Hood/resigned Ariza/MLE/trade/whatever).

Return to Trades and Transactions