I Still Know What They Should Do This Summer: Detroit Pistons

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

I Still Know What They Should Do This Summer: Detroit Pistons 

Post#1 » by loserX » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi all: we've done threads like this the past few years and gotten to see some really good ideas and creativity, so here's one for now. (Will we do all the teams? Maybe! If there's a team you'd like to see, feel free to suggest, or start your own thread!)

The idea: for the team listed, plan out their offseason as you see it: trades, draft, free agency. Obviously at this time there is a LOT of uncertainty about what the rest of the season/offseason will hold, but we can use some assumptions, and if you're here it means that like me you don't have a lot else going on :D

Today's team is the Detroit Pistons. After a couple of years of flirting with a lower playoff seed, things kind of fell apart this season. Their star player got injured, their offense sputtered, their rebounding was awful, and post-deadline it felt like they traded or bought out half their veteran roster. Now there may be a new direction in mind, but how do they get there?

ROSTER
Blake Griffin.....36,595,996...38,957,028 (PO)
Tony Snell........12,178,571 (PO)
Derrick Rose..... 7,682,927
Luke Kennard.... 5,273,826
Sekou Doumbouya. 3,449,400... 3,613,680 (TO)... 5,539,771 (TO)
Bruce Brown...... 1,663,861 (ung)
Svi Mikhailyuk... 1,663,861 (TO)
Khyri Thomas.... 1,663,861 (ung)

Total of above: $70,172,303

UFAs: John Henson, Brandon Knight, Langston Galloway, Thon Maker, Christian Wood, Jordan MacRae

Draft picks: assuming current draft order, Detroit would have the #5 pick in the 2020, no 2nd rounder. They own all their own future firsts, and have zero 2nds in 2022 but have two in 2023.

There are some options here: what should the Pistons do?

Questions to consider:

Blake Michigan: this is the elephant-sized contract in the room. Griffin is talented and can still be productive...when he's healthy. That certainly hasn't been the case much lately, and who knows if that will turn around. In the meantime, Griffin accounts for over *half* the team's committed salary next year, and about a third of the pre-COVID cap. What should the Pistons do? What can they do? Put him on the court and hope he stays healthy enough to build up his trade value at least a little bit? Or just think of his salary as sunk and "load manage" him as best you can?

Depth Takes a Holiday: the Pistons have only 8 players under contract the next year...and one of them is what's left of Blake Griffin, and another is Tony Snell. There are some young players here, but the only non-Blake player who isn't expiring is Doumbouya, so this is another set of decisions: who is the future? In the meantime, the #5 pick should fill one slot, but whether the team wants to compete or tank, there are still *multiple* holes to fill just from a roster perspective. Rose is the only PG. Most of the wing players have one notable skill if that. The only bigs are Doumbouya and Griffin.

The good news is a high pick and loads of capspace available. How do you straighten this out?

Wood-a. Could-a. ...Should-a?: one of the few silver linings this year was (finally!) the emergence of Christian Wood as a valuable rotation player. But now he is a UFA, without Bird rights (though the latter doesn't matter so much with Detroit having capspace available). How high should Detroit go in trying to re-sign him? Is it even a good idea? Are there S&T options available to over-the-cap teams?

So...if you ran the Pistons, what would you do?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: I Still Know What They Should Do This Summer: Detroit Pistons 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:02 pm

Detroit is probably in the most impossible position in the league. At least San Antonio, Minnesota, Charlotte, Chicago, Sacramento, etc. have assets that they can sell off. Detroit's cupboards are essentially bare. So, I think that highlights the necessity of returning Christian Wood so that you can see what he is, and at least have the option to flip him at the deadline. I'd also flip Rose and Snell for whatever value you can get, and trade Kennard for a pick(s). I like Kennard a lot, but I think if you are Detroit you know he isn't going to significantly alter the course of your franchise right now. If they had say, a Ja Morant and a Jaren Jackson, I would say differently. But right now their focus really needs to be on going full Sam Hinkie. If Griffin can be moved without giving up assets in the season, I would do it.

Trade 1 (w/Golden State)
Tony Snell for future GSW 2nd
Golden State gets a rotation player on the wing, Detroit gets a future asset (as minor as it may be).

Trade 2 (w/PHI and UTA)
DET trades: Derrick Rose
DET receive: Ed Davis, 2020 NYK 2nd (36), 2021 GSW 2nd, 2024 CLE 2nd
Turns Rose into several second round picks.

PHI trades: Mike Scott, 2020 NYK 2nd (36)
PHI receives: Derrick Rose
Gets a rotation player at the 1/2 that can give their second unit some punch.

Utah trades: Ed Davis, 2021 GSW 2nd, 2024 CLE 2nd
Utah receives: Mike Scott
Turns Davis into a rotation player at a position of need.

Trade 3:
POR trades: 14, Gary Trent
DET trades: Luke Kennard
Portland moves their pick for a guaranteed contributor, Detroit gets a late lotto pick and a rotational wing.

Resign Christian Wood (60/4?), fill out the roster with discarded projects and players that can be flipped for value.

5. Killian Hayes
14. RJ Hampton
36. Reggie Perry

Wood/Perry/Davis
Griffin/???/Doumbouya
Doumbouya/Brown
Hampton/Trent/Svi
Hayes/???

I'll openly admit this is a garbage team, but I think there is more upside here than they've got now.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#3 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Something a few Warriors fans have kicked around is Kennard and the Pistons pick — assuming it’s in the top 10 — for the Warriors pick. Curious how Pistons fans feel about that.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,808

Post#4 » by giberish » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Blake is easy. If he can't play his contract hurts a rebuilding team less than others. If he can play, but not very well, he's not really blocking anyone and the overpaid money doesn't hurt a rebuilding team as much as others. If he can play, and play at something resembling the All-NBA player he was in 2018-9 then he'll become tradeable. For cap relief if nothing else.

I'd try to resign Wood. I don't think you go too crazy here as he's be a min guy for a while. Maybe 4/$48M?? I expect he'll have some preference to come back to a team that actually played him and I don't see many other teams throwing huge money for him.

I'd trade Rose if you can get something interesting for him - at least a 1st.

I'd keep Kennard unless you get a great offer. 2nd contracts are usually team friendly (and if a team throws crazy money at him as an RFA you don't have to match). There's so little else on the roster it's nice to keep somebody around.

From there I'd use my cap space in 3 ways.

First, if you can find youngish players who slip through the cracks then sign them to good value multi-year deals. Second, taking on bad contract money for picks. Third, sign some vet filler guys on 1-year deals (overpaid if needed) to fill out a rotation in a way that makes sense around your young core (don't just spam these guys wildly - you probably don't need that many and you want to have them helping your young core and not competing/blocking them).
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#5 » by vetmin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:21 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Detroit is probably in the most impossible position in the league. At least San Antonio, Minnesota, Charlotte, Chicago, Sacramento, etc. have assets that they can sell off. Detroit's cupboards are essentially bare. So, I think that highlights the necessity of returning Christian Wood so that you can see what he is, and at least have the option to flip him at the deadline. I'd also flip Rose and Snell for whatever value you can get, and trade Kennard for a pick(s). I like Kennard a lot, but I think if you are Detroit you know he isn't going to significantly alter the course of your franchise right now. If they had say, a Ja Morant and a Jaren Jackson, I would say differently. But right now their focus really needs to be on going full Sam Hinkie. If Griffin can be moved without giving up assets in the season, I would do it.

Trade 1 (w/Golden State)
Golden State gets a rotation player on the wing, Detroit gets a future asset (as minor as it may be).

Trade 2 (w/PHI and UTA)

Trade 3:
Portland moves their pick for a guaranteed contributor, Detroit gets a late lotto pick and a rotational wing.

Resign Christian Wood (60/4?), fill out the roster with discarded projects and players that can be flipped for value.

5. Killian Hayes
14. RJ Hampton
36. Reggie Perry

Wood/Perry/Davis
Griffin/???/Doumbouya
Doumbouya/Brown
Hampton/Trent/Svi
Hayes/???

I'll openly admit this is a garbage team, but I think there is more upside here than they've got now.

Maybe Im undervaluing Scott but is he really even worth those 2 2nds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:53 pm

vetmin wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Detroit is probably in the most impossible position in the league. At least San Antonio, Minnesota, Charlotte, Chicago, Sacramento, etc. have assets that they can sell off. Detroit's cupboards are essentially bare. So, I think that highlights the necessity of returning Christian Wood so that you can see what he is, and at least have the option to flip him at the deadline. I'd also flip Rose and Snell for whatever value you can get, and trade Kennard for a pick(s). I like Kennard a lot, but I think if you are Detroit you know he isn't going to significantly alter the course of your franchise right now. If they had say, a Ja Morant and a Jaren Jackson, I would say differently. But right now their focus really needs to be on going full Sam Hinkie. If Griffin can be moved without giving up assets in the season, I would do it.

Trade 1 (w/Golden State)

Trade 2 (w/PHI and UTA)

Trade 3:

5. Killian Hayes
14. RJ Hampton
36. Reggie Perry

Wood/Perry/Davis
Griffin/???/Doumbouya
Doumbouya/Brown
Hampton/Trent/Svi
Hayes/???

I think getting off Davis is a worth a second, and replacing him with a player that is a nice fit in our system is worth another. We've done a really good job finding talent outside the draft, as well (see Joe Ingles, Georges Niang; possibly Rayjon Tucker and Juwan Morgan).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#7 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:28 am

vetmin wrote:

Trade 1 (w/Golden State)

Trade 2 (w/PHI and UTA)

Trade 3:

5. Killian Hayes
14. RJ Hampton
36. Reggie Perry

Wood/Perry/Davis
Griffin/???/Doumbouya
Doumbouya/Brown
Hampton/Trent/Svi
Hayes/???

One second is probably around 55 next year while the other is 5 drafts away. Minimal value, but yeah, I also hink Scott is getting overvalued and Davis undervalued...but mainly cause it's 2 seconds. But, I still like it for both.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#8 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 am

Order of importance:
1) re-sign Wood. He is the biggest keeper on a team of 'not keepers'.

2) trade Kennard. Sorry the oops I missed (almost) the whole season while setting up for my extension summer is a very bad sign as far as I can tell. I am full on concerned. Can you pay him a 10m a year multi year contract in a year knowing how much time he has already missed, even if next year is good? If he isn't even worth 10m, then he is the sort of guy you keep shuffling till you get a better part.

I offer Kennard for the best pick 13-23. I think you get a team to bite in there. Because I think it will work poorly for the other team, lets say Philly. Scott/22/and a 2nd of some kind for Kennard. But if you think Orlando bites at 15, great, even better.

3) I absolutely do not call up Washington and ask what incentive they would add to Wall to do a Wall for Blake swap; knowing that last year kills me much later. While many credibly reporters are reporting I did, they are all wrong and biased (unless Washington offered enough to make me bite on that phone call we didn't have.).

4) I offer to take on reclamation projects if the price is cheap enough; cough Kevin Knox.
I am thinking something like Randle/Knox for Rose/2nd; using cap space to eat Randle and letting the Knicks flip Rose or view him as part of their new dynasty.

Maybe a 2nd for Zhaire Smith if Philly wants to salary dump him. Looking for other guys, but Knox is the target I see.

5) Everyone in the league knows Blake is available as I set up for a step back. If teams want to clear some salary swapping longer for Snell, just tell me your offer.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:10 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
vetmin wrote:Maybe Im undervaluing Scott but is he really even worth those 2 2nds?

One second is probably around 55 next year while the other is 5 drafts away. Minimal value, but yeah, I also hink Scott is getting overvalued and Davis undervalued...but mainly cause it's 2 seconds. But, I still like it for both.

Agreed with T_J that Utah isn't really offering much by giving up those 2nds. Still, I feel that the difference between Rose and Scott is a lot bigger than the difference between Scott and Davis, so this particular trade could use a tweak.

This is just haggling though, I think babyjax's ideas are sound.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#10 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:21 am

Will build on this but I'll start with my Nets based trade 1st...

Vet #1 out the door
T.Prince, Musa, Future 2nd
for
Snell

Nets get a better veteran player for slightly less money with an expiring deal.
Detroit says why not. Snell isn't a game changer and they get younger.

Move on from Rose
Rose, '21 LAL 2nd, '23 POR 2nd
for
Aminu, #15

Orlando comes to mind as a place that could use him with Augustin a FA and they lack scoring from the backcourt. The 15 is slightly steep, but the draft has a poor rep and Orlando seems like they want to continue on their PO path. Plus they get out of Aminu's deal.
Detroit adds a decent 1st.

Trade up to get another top 6 pick maybe with NY:
NYK 1st, NY's least favorite of DSJ or Frank N.
for
Kennard, #15
NYK adds shooting to surround Barrett and Robinson, while still staying just outside the lotto.
Detroit looks to add another top pick.

Keep Griffin as there is no point in paying to move him.

Draft: Wiseman and C. Anthony/Hayes if possible.
Figure you pair Wood and Wiseman eventually, but gotta let Griffin phase out and Wiseman grow some.

Resign Wood to a fair market price (so hard to say with that will be given the circumstances)
With the leftover cap space look for salary dumps as I'm sure there will be many

2020-2021 PISTONS
C.Anthony / Frank N.
Mykhailuk / B.Brown / K.Thomas
Doumboya / Musa
Griffin / Prince / Aminu
Wood / Wiseman
+ salary dumps
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 691

Post#11 » by Monky15 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:36 am

They should flip some expirings for players being moved at their lowest value with additional assets added.
Mavs trade Powell + extra (start of asking for GS 2nd and Dallas's 1st) for Snell.
Pistons are in a position to let Powell return to health and recoup some value. When healthy he is a great locker room/ culture addition which is essential during a rebuild.
Mavs do it for wing depth and to clear future salary.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#12 » by azwfan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:56 am

Trade 1 (w/Golden State)

Trade 2 (w/PHI and UTA)

Trade 3:

5. Killian Hayes
14. RJ Hampton
36. Reggie Perry

Wood/Perry/Davis
Griffin/???/Doumbouya
Doumbouya/Brown
Hampton/Trent/Svi
Hayes/???

Im ok with the Snell GSW trade; however, i think GSW would rather send however many 2nd rd picks necessary for Derrick Rose.

We can send #51, Min 2021 2nd, and the one we own in 2022 (forgot whose we own, but its a current playoff team).

True that wings and a vet big are bigger concerns for us, but this seems like too good value to pass up to me.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#13 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:44 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:Something a few Warriors fans have kicked around is Kennard and the Pistons pick — assuming it’s in the top 10 — for the Warriors pick. Curious how Pistons fans feel about that.

I came here to suggest this. If Detroit is in love with Edwards, and they should be, they should make that deal. Detroit is in the perfect position to give a prospect of Edward's caliber free reign of the offense to learn and grow from his mistakes.

Also would make a lot of sense to be patient and wait for LaMelo Ball if he drops. I'm higher on LaMelo than most. I think he can carve out a nice game for himself in Detroit.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#14 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:54 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:Something a few Warriors fans have kicked around is Kennard and the Pistons pick — assuming it’s in the top 10 — for the Warriors pick. Curious how Pistons fans feel about that.

I like that, but I’m guessing it’s a little light for Detroit. Is it really worth losing Kennard to jump from, say, the 6th pick to the 3rd?

Honestly I’d combine both the deals discussed here into something like Snell, Kennard, DET pick for GS pick, future lotto protected GS first?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#15 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:02 am

gswhoops wrote:

I like that, but I’m guessing it’s a little light for Detroit. Is it really worth losing Kennard to jump from, say, the 6th pick to the 3rd?

Honestly I’d combine both the deals discussed here into something like Snell, Kennard, DET pick for GS pick, future lotto protected GS first?

Depending on how far in the future that is, it could certainly work. Detroit has a deficit in terms of draft picks, so I can see this happening 100%.

We really just need to wait and see what happens with the lotto placement. The overall idea is moving up if a guy you like is there. For Detroit, that should be Edwards or Ball, in my mind. I'm not really in love with any other prospect in terms of fit in DET.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#16 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:35 am

Additionally, I'd take a swing on Josh Jackson if I were Detroit. 4/45 with a club option.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#17 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:37 am

getrichordie wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Depending on how far in the future that is, it could certainly work. Detroit has a deficit in terms of draft picks, so I can see this happening 100%.

We really just need to wait and see what happens with the lotto placement. The overall idea is moving up if a guy you like is there. For Detroit, that should be Edwards or Ball, in my mind. I'm not really in love with any other prospect in terms of fit in DET.

Agreed. All depends on how the lotto falls and how GS views the prospects available at their pick. But in theory I could see something like this making a lot of sense for us.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Post#18 » by pipfan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 am

Honestly, I would offer to buy Blake out for $35 million. He could EASILY get a nice deal this summer from a better team, and he can pick where he wants to go. The just eat the loss and move on-tanking next year fully for the 2021 draft, which looks very good at the wings

Keep Kenard, Sekou and Wood, trade Rose for something and suck next year
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#19 » by drosereturn » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:07 pm

I would trade everyone including Doumb, Luke if they can get fair value. None of the players seems franchise player but a bunch of serviceable ones.
If they cannot get offers for BG, I would try to ride him out like Chris Paul did and try to acquire blue chip prospects via draft.
Tank for top 3 is the first task.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#20 » by aguiar95 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Parlez-vous français?

Moves:
Take Svi and Brown (PO + intermediate French class);
Take K. Hayes with #5 (No brainer in this scenario);
Trade Snell to GSW for future 2nd (This would be amazing if it happens);
Trade K.Thomas to BOS for V. Poirier (BOS gets a younger and cheaper guy);
Trade D. Rose to NYK for F. Ntilikina (if it doesn't work I'm fine keeping Rose, NYK can flip him for picks or whatever);
Sign E. Fournier (80M/4y, we still have some money to throw at him if this offer is low);
Re-sign C. Wood (60M/4y + intermediate French class, we still have some money to throw at him if this offer is low);
Re-sign J. Henson (Room MLE/2y + basic French class);
Re-sign J. McRae and L. King (minimun + basic French class);

Rotation:
PG: Hayes/Ntilikina/Mcrae
SG: Brown/Kennard
SF: Fournier/Svi/King
PF: Griffin/Doumboya
C: Wood/Henson/Poirier

Cap:
105M spent on 13 players. If cap stays the same (115M), they stay under and still have some to absorb if a team wants to avoid tax or dump for 2021 at the TDL. Jokes aside, I feel it's a good direction for the team.

* In 2021 TDL, Gobert demands a trade to DET and they trade Griffin/Kennard/picks for Gobert/filler.

* Batum/Zeller for Griffin/Kennard? If CHA says yes, Room MLE should be used on a SG.

Return to Trades and Transactions