I Still Know What They Should Do This Summer: Detroit Pistons

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Re: I Still Know What They Should Do This Summer: Detroit Pistons 

Post#21 » by Resistance » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:07 pm

pipfan wrote:Honestly, I would offer to buy Blake out for $35 million. He could EASILY get a nice deal this summer from a better team, and he can pick where he wants to go. The just eat the loss and move on-tanking next year fully for the 2021 draft, which looks very good at the wings

Keep Kenard, Sekou and Wood, trade Rose for something and suck next year

Most of the teams that will have cap space this summer are rebuilding just like Detroit. I don't think Riley will offer Blake a contract with multiple guaranteed years.

So he would have to take a non-taxyer MLE contract to try and make up for the big discount buyout with Detroit.

His body might not make it through four more years in the NBA.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#22 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm of the mindset that no one is untradeable, including Blake Griffin.

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Detroit in: Gorgui Dieng, Kyle Anderson and a Sign & Traded Josh Jackson (1+1 Team Option at $15MM per season)

Memphis in: Blake Griffin and Luke Kennard

Barring an insane jump in production Detroit gets two expiring contracts in Dieng and the S&T Jackson while move out Blake's long-term money.

For Memphis, none of the core young players on rookie deals need an extension prior to Griffin expiring and none of their key veterans (Valancunias, Winslow, Jones) expire and need new deals prior to Griffin either. Giving them the unique ability to be unaffected by Griffin's contract (Memphis isn't really a big free-agent destination), while gaining Kennard who fits nicely with their young players.

Trade #2

Detroit in: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood and POR 2020 1st round pick (top-10 protected)

Portland in: Derrick Rose and Tony Snell

Rose provides high-level depth at both guard spots while Snell brings health, durability and shooting to the small forward spot. Detroit is getting an additional pick. Hood is likely out for the year or at least a majority of it.

Free Agency and the Draft

The Pistons should re-sign Wood and move forward with a core of Wood, Doumbaya, and their 2 2020 first round picks. Gieng, Hood, Ariza, and Jackson can all come off the books in the summer of 2021 at which point the Pistons will have added another pick to their young core and are hopefully looking attractive to free agents.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,311

Post#23 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:17 pm

drosestruts wrote:I'm of the mindset that no one is untradeable, including Blake Griffin.

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Detroit in: Gorgui Dieng, Kyle Anderson and a Sign & Traded Josh Jackson (1+1 Team Option at $15MM per season)

Barring an insane jump in production Detroit gets two expiring contracts in Dieng and the S&T Jackson while move out Blake's long-term money.

For Memphis, none of the core young players on rookie deals need an extension prior to Griffin expiring and none of their key veterans (Valancunias, Winslow, Jones) expire and need new deals prior to Griffin either. Giving them the unique ability to be unaffected by Griffin's contract (Memphis isn't really a big free-agent destination), while gaining Kennard who fits nicely with their young players.

Trade #2

Detroit in: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood and POR 2020 1st round pick (top-10 protected)

Rose provides high-level depth at both guard spots while Snell brings health, durability and shooting to the small forward spot. Detroit is getting an additional pick. Hood is likely out for the year or at least a majority of it.

The Pistons should re-sign Wood and move forward with a core of Wood, Doumbaya, and their 2 2020 first round picks. Gieng, Hood, Ariza, and Jackson can all come off the books in the summer of 2021 at which point the Pistons will have added another pick to their young core and are hopefully looking attractive to free agents.

You can’t combine players in a deal involving a S&T...

plus, Memphis has no interest in Griffin when they have Clarke and JJJ

Sorry to say, but Griffin is stuck in DET
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,901

Post#24 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:Something a few Warriors fans have kicked around is Kennard and the Pistons pick — assuming it’s in the top 10 — for the Warriors pick. Curious how Pistons fans feel about that.

That would be a solid trade for the Pistons (assuming they like someone in the top 3).
I like Kennard but pistons need a star player and that's more likely in the top 3 than 5-10 range
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#25 » by giberish » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:32 pm

getrichordie wrote:
drosestruts wrote:I'm of the mindset that no one is untradeable, including Blake Griffin.

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Trade #2

You absolutely can. Doesn't happen a lot because deals get complicated but there's never been a rule against it. I'm always shocked when non-ballboys get this wrong.
getrichordie wrote:plus, Memphis has no interest in Griffin when they have Clarke and JJJ

Blake isn't absolutely untradeable, but until he he's back healthy and effective the return on any Blake trade is going to be worse for Detroit then keeping him.

I also don't see the need for Detroit to deal everyone on the roster. They'll have plenty of roster churn even keeping guys currently under contract.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#26 » by psman2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Trade #2

I not touching this as young developing up and coming team. I want to grow organically and kowtowing to Blake Griffin at the expense of JJJ and Clarke minutes is not something I am interested in. We should have a ton of cap space in 21 and can bid on Kennard or another SG at that point. Blake’s 38m in 21 could be used to sign some long term players that fit our team.

Honestly I like Josh Jackson’s potential almost as much as Kennard at this point. I would like to see us keep at a 3/24 type deal with some team options.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#27 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:55 pm

giberish wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Trade #2

You absolutely can. Doesn't happen a lot because deals get complicated but there's never been a rule against it. I'm always shocked when non-ballboys get this wrong.
getrichordie wrote:plus, Memphis has no interest in Griffin when they have Clarke and JJJ

Blake isn't absolutely untradeable, but until he he's back healthy and effective the return on any Blake trade is going to be worse for Detroit then keeping him.

I also don't see the need for Detroit to deal everyone on the roster. They'll have plenty of roster churn even keeping guys currently under contract.

Guess I’m thinking of TPEs?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#28 » by loserX » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Okay, I suppose I could do one too!

Keep Griffin. As others have said, if he's healthy enough to play up his value, great! Maybe there's a move out there that develops for bad contracts and some keeper value. If he isn't, we have to just ride it out. We're slow-rolling this anyway.

TRADES

1) Tony Snell to Indiana for Jeremy Lamb(inj), TJ Leaf, future 2nds

Indiana is going to get maybe half a season *next* year out of Lamb, and very little out of Leaf. So they swap out pieces who won't contribute for an expiring wing who can. Detroit has no worries about taking an injured shooter they can rehab slowly, and add a flier at stretch-5 and some more assets for the bank.

2) Derrick Rose to Lakers for Quinn Cook, Avery Bradley (bought out), 2020 1st rounder, cash

The Lakers get a scorer/playmaker at guard whose contract expires in time for 2021. Pistons finally get a first rounder for Rose, as I don't see many other teams who would offer one. (Avery Bradley agrees to pick up his PO so he can be traded, on the condition Detroit buys him out and he gets to go where he wants anyway.) I feel like this is still light for Detroit but I'm not sure how else to get them more value, and there's really no sense in keeping Rose on this team.

3) capspace to Kings for Corey Joseph, Detroit's 2020 2nd rounder returned, additional 2nd(s)

The Kings don't *need* to dump Joseph, but they have little reason to keep him either. He wasn't worth his contract last year, and they can find a cheaper option in the market; they have more 2nds incoming than they will be able to roster in any case, so might as well wipe this (minor) mistake off the board. The Pistons are going to need *somebody* at backup PG, so selling cap and getting paid for it makes sense.

DRAFT

We now have the #5, #29, and #35 (presumably).

#5 - best PG available, perhaps Cole Anthony if they feel okay with his knee, or Killian Hayes
#29 (from LAL) - Leandro Bolmaro, a gifted international wing. Detroit can wait for him.
#35 - best C available, Daniel Oturu should be around in this range. There is a hole here.

FREE AGENCY

Re-sign Christian Wood; hopefully a shallow capspace pool means we don't have to go nuts here, and paying somewhat over the MLE ($12M per?) gets it done. Re-sign John Henson to something small and reasonable as a placeholder C; he's not great but he isn't awful either. Assume the Pelicans are going to cut Darius Miller's unguaranteed contract for capspace, so bring him along as a wing shooter. Any other capspace we have is definitely for sale.

ROSTER

Henson/Leaf/Oturu
Wood/Griffin/Doumbouya
Mikhailyuk/Brown/Miller
Kennard/Thomas/Lamb (inj)/Bolmaro (whenever)
Hayes/Joseph/Cook

(Not set in stone, the bigs can shuffle around as best suits them and Griffin's availability.)

I've left Kennard because I really don't know what to make of the situation. If he is healthy I'd rather keep him, especially with Hayes' shooting question marks. If the team is set on trading him there should be suitors, and I'd go back to FA for another guard.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#29 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:52 pm

psman2 wrote:

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Trade #2

I not touching this as young developing up and coming team. I want to grow organically and kowtowing to Blake Griffin at the expense of JJJ and Clarke minutes is not something I am interested in. We should have a ton of cap space in 21 and can bid on Kennard or another SG at that point. Blake’s 38m in 21 could be used to sign some long term players that fit our team.

Honestly I like Josh Jackson’s potential almost as much as Kennard at this point. I would like to see us keep at a 3/24 type deal with some team options.

I suppose my thinking on the depth chart post-trade would be:

Morant/Jones/Melton
Brooks/Kennard/Melton
Winslow/Brooks
Griffin/Clarke
Jackson/Valancunias

Some of this depends on your thoughts on JJJ's ability at the 5. I also don't think they need to bend to Griffin's will, if he's not healthy or not playing well you don't have to start him. The above would be a best case scenario. Having JJJ and Clarke available at the 4 spot is good for depth given the question marks around Griffin.

Part of my thinking was around "what is Memphis going to do with cap space?", you seem to think they could add valuable long-term pieces, I'm not as sold and am therefore not worried about what they might be missing out on by trading for Blake and Kennard.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#30 » by psman2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:08 pm

drosestruts wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Offseason plan:

Trade #1:

Trade #2

I suppose my thinking on the depth chart post-trade would be:

Morant/Jones/Melton
Brooks/Kennard/Melton
Winslow/Brooks
Griffin/Clarke
Jackson/Valancunias

Some of this depends on your thoughts on JJJ's ability at the 5. I also don't think they need to bend to Griffin's will, if he's not healthy or not playing well you don't have to start him. The above would be a best case scenario. Having JJJ and Clarke available at the 4 spot is good for depth given the question marks around Griffin.

Part of my thinking was around "what is Memphis going to do with cap space?", you seem to think they could add valuable long-term pieces, I'm not as sold and am therefore not worried about what they might be missing out on by trading for Blake and Kennard.

It is not a good look across the league to trade for a player of Blake's profile and sit him on the bench if it turns out that is what is best for our team. Why invite that possible headache into the lockeroom. There is really no upside to trading for Blake. He makes a ton of money, injury prone, and plays the position of our 2nd and 3rd best player. It would be like OKC trading for Wall to play him ahead of SGA while still having CP3. JJJ is a PF for the foreseeable future until he bulks and improves his rebounding.

I fully recognize that Memphis is not a good free agent draw but we are likely going to be the most attractive we have ever been if Morant/JJJ continues on their path to being franchise stars. I would take my chances in free agency 100 times out of a 100 over having Blake pissed or hurt on the bench making 38 million. I have confidence we can get a free agent the caliber of Kennard without eating Blake's contract to do it. Sure we might strike out or have to overpay our targets but that is still better than eating the Blake contract.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#31 » by giberish » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:30 pm

getrichordie wrote:
giberish wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Guess I’m thinking of TPEs?

Yep, TPE's can't be added together to match a bigger salary.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#32 » by AdonisDeMarion » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:50 am

If Griffin is healthy send him to South Beach to play with Butler and Bam. I don’t see any other team other than the Celtics, Mavs, Trail Blazers, or Wizards
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,021

Post#33 » by Rockazoids » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:53 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:Order of importance:
4) I offer to take on reclamation projects if the price is cheap enough; cough Kevin Knox.
I am thinking something like Randle/Knox for Rose/2nd; using cap space to eat Randle and letting the Knicks flip Rose or view him as part of their new dynasty.

There is no reason for NY to turn a soon to be 21 yr old Knox into a soon to be 32 yr old Rose.
If they need the cap from Randle deal they can just not pick up the club option on Portis, Gibson, Bullock, Ellington, Payton.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,653

Post#34 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:22 am

Rockazoids wrote:
4) I offer to take on reclamation projects if the price is cheap enough; cough Kevin Knox.
I am thinking something like Randle/Knox for Rose/2nd; using cap space to eat Randle and letting the Knicks flip Rose or view him as part of their new dynasty.

There is no reason for NY to turn a soon to be 21 yr old Knox into a soon to be 32 yr old Rose.
If they need the cap from Randle deal they can just not pick up the club option on Portis, Gibson, Bullock, Ellington, Payton.

That gives them that cap... but not Randle's. Unless there is a ew twist in a new CBA

And NYk can pick that Randle's dead money + Knox is worth more than Det 2nd + Rose. But I think that is a debatable argument which is my point. =)
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,021

Post#35 » by Rockazoids » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:35 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:

That gives them that cap... but not Randle's. Unless there is a ew twist in a new CBA

And NYk can pick that Randle's dead money + Knox is worth more than Det 2nd + Rose. But I think that is a debatable argument which is my point. =)

What I'm saying is, if they need$15M - $20M cap just let Portis & 1 or 2 of the other go to get there. No need to trade Knox for a
soon to be 32 yr old Rose. He is a win now player & the Knicks are not a win now team.
And I think this is just click bait.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257959/Knicks-Front-Office-Member-Believes-Trading-For-Disgruntled-Star-Is-The-Best-Path-For-Us
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#36 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm

1) re-sign Wood. He is the biggest keeper on a team of 'not keepers'.

2) trade Kennard. Sorry the oops I missed (almost) the whole season while setting up for my extension summer is a very bad sign as far as I can tell. I am full on concerned. Can you pay him a 10m a year multi year contract in a year knowing how much time he has already missed, even if next year is good? If he isn't even worth 10m, then he is the sort of guy you keep shuffling till you get a better part.

I offer Kennard for the best pick 13-23. I think you get a team to bite in there. Because I think it will work poorly for the other team, lets say Philly. Scott/22/and a 2nd of some kind for Kennard. But if you think Orlando bites at 15, great, even better.

3) I absolutely do not call up Washington and ask what incentive they would add to Wall to do a Wall for Blake swap; knowing that last year kills me much later. While many credibly reporters are reporting I did, they are all wrong and biased (unless Washington offered enough to make me bite on that phone call we didn't have.).

Maybe a 2nd for Zhaire Smith if Philly wants to salary dump him. Looking for other guys, but Knox is the target I see.

5) Everyone in the league knows Blake is available as I set up for a step back. If teams want to clear some salary swapping longer for Snell, just tell me your offer.

You read my mind. This is almost exactly what I would do. The only other thing is that if GS wants Snell for the TPE I say sure. I'd probably even attach a 2nd.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#37 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Tear it down and start again. Use Griffin to get a low end lotto pick and go for a P.G like Cole Anthony or whoever is BPA (9 + Mahimi and whatever other bad contract for Blake maybe). The Wizards have to go now, getting a big man to finally complement Wall + Beal surely puts them in the hunt for the east if all goes well, its now or never for them and they get out of some bad contracts.

If they get a top 2 pick, just pick whoever is left out of Edwards or Wiseman (most likely Wiseman) and use that as a basis to build from.

If they get a pick between the 3-7 range, then i'd pick out of the following (if the top 2 players afformentioned don't fall) in this order: Obi Trippin, Killian Hayes, Devi Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton.

Then look at as someone mentioned, trading Kennard for a mid first and pick up someone like Josh Green (someone mentioned 14 for Kennard, that's good). Kennard on the Blazers sounds absolutely perfect honestly.

Then Rose for 26. The celtics have a tonne of picks and they aren't going to use them all, plain and simple. They could use a P.G like Rose to backup Kemba honestly, then again any team in the league could use a backup like Rose to be honest.

So ideally after you have traded both Blake and Kennard out, you'll have 9 + 14 + 26 along with the 5th

So for the draft:
5th - Obi Trippin (Ideally)
9th - Killain Hayes (this basically is just on the hope that the knicks either go up to #1, trade out or somehow like Cole Anthony more, Haliburton is a good consolation prize here as well)
14th - Josh Green (athletic 3&D prospect
26th - Vernon Carey Jr (2nd best centre in his class and he's really good)

I'd then try and pay good money to pick up an early 2nd and pick up Precious Achiuwa if at all possible.

This is probably very optimistic and would require teams agreeing and having that general win now direction (especially the Wizards).

I wouldn't worry too much about having to take back cap cause right now the Pistons aren't a F.A destination (Detroit ain't exactly the most desirable place in America right now and i'd imagine that would also transcend into desirability for free agents, its a cold market too which doesn't help). Detroit is much better building through the draft and doing it with a culture in mind. I'd let Casey go, not because he's neccesarily bad (he's not, its just that like other coaches like Marc Jackson and even D'Antoni, their is a ceiling and you don't want them coaching youth, its counter intuitive and they'll only get frustrated).

Bring back Christian Wood on a team friendly deal so you can see if he can continue the form and perhaps get good value in a trade down the line (picks mainly for 2021). I like the idea of building around Obi Trippin and Killain Hayes/ Haliburton with Green and Carey also helping there.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#38 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Spoiler:
Spens1 wrote:Tear it down and start again. Use Griffin to get a low end lotto pick and go for a P.G like Cole Anthony or whoever is BPA (9 + Mahimi and whatever other bad contract for Blake maybe). The Wizards have to go now, getting a big man to finally complement Wall + Beal surely puts them in the hunt for the east if all goes well, its now or never for them and they get out of some bad contracts.

If they get a top 2 pick, just pick whoever is left out of Edwards or Wiseman (most likely Wiseman) and use that as a basis to build from.

If they get a pick between the 3-7 range, then i'd pick out of the following (if the top 2 players afformentioned don't fall) in this order: Obi Trippin, Killian Hayes, Devi Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton.

Then look at as someone mentioned, trading Kennard for a mid first and pick up someone like Josh Green (someone mentioned 14 for Kennard, that's good). Kennard on the Blazers sounds absolutely perfect honestly.

Then Rose for 26. The celtics have a tonne of picks and they aren't going to use them all, plain and simple. They could use a P.G like Rose to backup Kemba honestly, then again any team in the league could use a backup like Rose to be honest.

So ideally after you have traded both Blake and Kennard out, you'll have 9 + 14 + 26 along with the 5th

So for the draft:
9th - Killain Hayes (this basically is just on the hope that the knicks either go up to #1, trade out or somehow like Cole Anthony more, Haliburton is a good consolation prize here as well)

I'd then try and pay good money to pick up an early 2nd and pick up Precious Achiuwa if at all possible.

This is probably very optimistic and would require teams agreeing and having that general win now direction (especially the Wizards).

I wouldn't worry too much about having to take back cap cause right now the Pistons aren't a F.A destination (Detroit ain't exactly the most desirable place in America right now and i'd imagine that would also transcend into desirability for free agents, its a cold market too which doesn't help). Detroit is much better building through the draft and doing it with a culture in mind. I'd let Casey go, not because he's neccesarily bad (he's not, its just that like other coaches like Marc Jackson and even D'Antoni, their is a ceiling and you don't want them coaching youth, its counter intuitive and they'll only get frustrated).

Bring back Christian Wood on a team friendly deal so you can see if he can continue the form and perhaps get good value in a trade down the line (picks mainly for 2021). I like the idea of building around Obi Trippin and Killain Hayes/ Haliburton with Green and Carey also helping there.

No one is paying a late lotto pick for Griffin, not even the Wiz...

Hayes will be drafted long before Toppin...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,653

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Rockazoids wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:There is no reason for NY to turn a soon to be 21 yr old Knox into a soon to be 32 yr old Rose.

What I'm saying is, if they need$15M - $20M cap just let Portis & 1 or 2 of the other go to get there. No need to trade Knox for a
soon to be 32 yr old Rose. He is a win now player & the Knicks are not a win now team.
And I think this is just click bait.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257959/Knicks-Front-Office-Member-Believes-Trading-For-Disgruntled-Star-Is-The-Best-Path-For-Us

I don't really think you are replying to me. Is Knox's value more than dumping Randle's money and whatever you can get for Rose from a third team? I think it is very debatable.

As for whether the Knicks should not bring back Portis and 1 or 2 of their other players, yes, they should not bring them back. I had not considered that anyone thought Portis might be coming back.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#40 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Spoiler:
Spens1 wrote:Tear it down and start again. Use Griffin to get a low end lotto pick and go for a P.G like Cole Anthony or whoever is BPA (9 + Mahimi and whatever other bad contract for Blake maybe). The Wizards have to go now, getting a big man to finally complement Wall + Beal surely puts them in the hunt for the east if all goes well, its now or never for them and they get out of some bad contracts.

So for the draft:

No one is paying a late lotto pick for Griffin, not even the Wiz...

Hayes will be drafted long before Toppin...

I did take into account that the wizards are also giving up their bad contracts in that as well.

Return to Trades and Transactions