Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick

Moderators: Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, HartfordWhalers, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Trader_Joe, loserX

What is Aaron Gordon’s trade value in 2020 draft pick?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:28 pm

Top 6 FRP
8
9%
#7 Overall
2
2%
#8 Overall
5
6%
#9 Overall
1
1%
#10 Overall
12
14%
#11 Overall
0
No votes
#12 Overall
6
7%
#13 Overall
1
1%
#14 Overall
17
20%
#15 Or Higher (please state your specific value in thread)
33
39%
 
Total votes: 85

JRoy
Rookie
Posts: 1,133
And1: 578
Joined: Feb 27, 2019

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#21 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Everyone wants to draft a player who can shoot and defend at SF. They don't grow on trees though and most teams are reaching for them all draft long. I like Saddiiq Bey as a player that could be a sleeper. He is not athletic but he is fundamentally sound. You are not going to find a lot of hyped up players who can defend and shoot in this draft; especially small forwards.

I think Gordon for 14 is good value so long as you want to keep him. Otherwise keep and use your pick.


I'd agree that Saddiq Bey would be a likely solid option in that role. Maybe a Patrick Williams develops the shot to grow into it?

I know several fans who are high on Patrick as a sleeper also. Okoro looks to be the cream athletically but he cannot shoot ( so far ). This is just a bad draft to be looking for 3D Small Forwards. I am sure someone will hit and that's why its called a lottery.


Agreed on all points.

It isn’t just the fit; POR will need to be shrewd with draft/FA/trades due to salary commitments to Lillard and CJ. Nurk is on a great deal but POR has to score with value signings.

One of several reasons that guys like Love and OPJ to POR are DOA.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 43,929
And1: 5,071
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#22 » by shrink » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:20 pm

I don’t think he brings back a lottery pick.

Every year he has one good month where fans extrapolate, “see, he’s young, and this is who he will become!” .. and the next season they are always disappointed. It is a big deal to me that his best season was arguably 4 years ago - you would expect any young player to improve, even in Gordon’s bad team situation. It also worries me that he seems to put such personal importance on dunk competitions (his latest rap complaining about Dwayne Wade’s 9-of-10 vote), and not his team’s mediocrity.

I admit, I am in the minority for my (MIN) fanbase, with many believing he could be the team’s savior. I hope they are right, but I wouldn't give up a lottery pick on that gamble. I think a lot of people have always seen what they hope for in Gordon, and they often ignore what he has been.

As for a pick this year, I think every draft has a couple mid to late 1sts that become valuable players. It is always hard to find these guys, and maybe a little harder this year. That said, there is one certainty for this year’s pick - their lottery scale will be even lower after Covid. These mid 1sts are not valueless.
aramada
Veteran
Posts: 2,830
And1: 871
Joined: Dec 27, 2008
   

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#23 » by aramada » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:22 pm

I have him higher than most - #9 or 10 with expiring. Beyond that, odds of having a player of similar or higher level down the road are low in this draft
rugbyrugger23
General Manager
Posts: 9,868
And1: 1,271
Joined: Jun 07, 2011

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#24 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Who has more value: Covington or Gordon?

I think what Covington went for would put Gordon's value in perspective.

Note: those voting top 6, we need to see some explanation -- or Gordon fans just trying to poll bust?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 12,783
And1: 5,345
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#25 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:53 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Who has more value: Covington or Gordon?

I think what Covington went for would put Gordon's value in perspective.

Note: those voting top 6, we need to see some explanation -- or Gordon fans just trying to poll bust?


I don't think this is even a question. Covington is far and away the better player on a better contract.
rugbyrugger23
General Manager
Posts: 9,868
And1: 1,271
Joined: Jun 07, 2011

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#26 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:17 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:Who has more value: Covington or Gordon?

I think what Covington went for would put Gordon's value in perspective.

Note: those voting top 6, we need to see some explanation -- or Gordon fans just trying to poll bust?


I don't think this is even a question. Covington is far and away the better player on a better contract.

And I would agree. So let's consider what Covington got in 2020 draft capital when thinking about A. Gordon 2020 draft value.
orlando_joe
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 626
Joined: Dec 27, 2015
     

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#27 » by orlando_joe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:49 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:Who has more value: Covington or Gordon?

I think what Covington went for would put Gordon's value in perspective.

Note: those voting top 6, we need to see some explanation -- or Gordon fans just trying to poll bust?


I don't think this is even a question. Covington is far and away the better player on a better contract.

And I would agree. So let's consider what Covington got in 2020 draft capital when thinking about A. Gordon 2020 draft value.

so 2 young prospects and a unprotected first?
JRoy
Rookie
Posts: 1,133
And1: 578
Joined: Feb 27, 2019

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#28 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:03 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:Who has more value: Covington or Gordon?

I think what Covington went for would put Gordon's value in perspective.

Note: those voting top 6, we need to see some explanation -- or Gordon fans just trying to poll bust?


I don't think this is even a question. Covington is far and away the better player on a better contract.


Agreed and it’s not close.

RC is a great roleplayer on a great contract pretty much plug and play on any team.

AG is...youngish?
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,845
And1: 3,757
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
I don't think this is even a question. Covington is far and away the better player on a better contract.

And I would agree. So let's consider what Covington got in 2020 draft capital when thinking about A. Gordon 2020 draft value.

so 2 young prospects and a unprotected first?


Beasley, Hernangomez, and at the time, an absolutely non-lotto 1st.

And that's viewed as a package returned for a better player on a better contract. By quite a bit in both regards. So, maybe a 1st in the 15-25 range, and a mid to low end young guy?
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,845
And1: 3,757
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Showtime23 wrote:I really think Gordon is a match made heaven for the Bulls.
Something like Felicio, Sato, #7 for Gordon and their pick (20' or 21') is fair value.


I don't know what the point of Gordon in Chicago is while you have OPJ and Thad, in addition to Carter. Otto is really the big combo forward with a 3 point shot and good defense that you wish Gordon could one day develop into.
jjohns828
Rookie
Posts: 1,183
And1: 341
Joined: Jul 11, 2012
   

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#31 » by jjohns828 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:08 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
jjohns828 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I will post it here because it has been posted so many times on RGM...

Wolves Trade:
#16
JJ (expiring)

FOR

A. Gordon
Magic Trade:

And if push came to shove, I think Wolves throw in #33 OR Vanderbilt OR Evans.

Trade makes just too much sense for both teams.


In most drafts I might agree that it makes sense but I dislike this draft class enough that I'd rather trade out of it than add a pick in the same range our own pick will be in.

To Magic: Culver + Vanderbilt + #33

To Memphis: JJ + Evans + #16

To Wolves: A. Gordon + Winslow (or Brooks)

Now, this is Wolves going all-in, and not sure they are willing to move on from Culver after one year, but????

Magic get a little more value than #16 by way of what is Culver who was drafted #6 overall.

Memphis takes another chance in the draft.


I would say in a vacuum it's probably fair value but I'm skeptical of Culver being a good fit. His 3-pt shooting problems this year makes me worried he'll never be a good enough shooter to replace Fournier in a backcourt pairing with Fultz, who I still believe in as our starting PG.
orlando_joe
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 626
Joined: Dec 27, 2015
     

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#32 » by orlando_joe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:And I would agree. So let's consider what Covington got in 2020 draft capital when thinking about A. Gordon 2020 draft value.

so 2 young prospects and a unprotected first?


Beasley, Hernangomez, and at the time, an absolutely non-lotto 1st.

And that's viewed as a package returned for a better player on a better contract. By quite a bit in both regards. So, maybe a 1st in the 15-25 range, and a mid to low end young guy?

how was it absolute? there was 30 some games left and char,and wash ,magic and brooklyn within a few games 2 in lottery 2 not..and i think even bulls and pistons still had a shot at that time? not sure how to find standings then? and to me draft looks worse now with some hope back then that players would shine in march and bring value..

edit
it was lottery protected...but had a shot at being in loaded 2021 draft...lol...
Village Idiot
General Manager
Posts: 7,730
And1: 922
Joined: Jan 23, 2005
Location: location, location
     

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#33 » by Village Idiot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:22 pm

As a Portland fan I would do the #14, Ariza and Hezonja for Gordon. I think he could be a really solid SF/PF for the Blazers. I've stated why in other threads and won't regurgitate the details here.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.
User avatar
getrichordie
General Manager
Posts: 8,243
And1: 1,737
Joined: Oct 22, 2015
 

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#34 » by getrichordie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm

I think anywhere between 11-14 is feasible depending on how draft falls.

Gordon is still young and can improve. A lot of teams will think they will be able to fix his shot.
#yeezy4prezzy

:basketball: 2020 BIG BOARD
Skybox
Starter
Posts: 2,378
And1: 1,399
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#35 » by Skybox » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:40 pm

AG-bashing is fun but's it way overblown...he's got flaws in his game but he's still a very good player. If he could shoot 3's at 35% with 4 attempts a game, it'd be a whole different picture...well that's what he did last season. Not a spot up sharpshooter, not specifically a rim-protector, not a wizard ball handler...but he's very good at a lot of things.

He's 24 years old, over the last 3 seasons, he averaged 16ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.2 apg in a largely dysfunctional role. He's got as great a physical profile as any in the league at a spring-loaded 6'8 at 220 lbs with a 7' wingspan. He's played for a handful of coaches and systems in his years in ORL, so his job description (because he's potentially capable) has been a moving target. He's extremely agile and accepts the toughest defensive assignments every night, guarding 1-4 (Isaac is acknowledged as DPOY candidate but, to be fair, Isaac gets to opportunistically roam a bit while AG locks horns with stars all night). He signed a descending deal which peaks at just below $20m this season, $18.1 next, $16.4 in 21-22.
He routinely seeks and makes highlight reel plays which puts asses in the seats and ignites momentum and the crowd.

This season the Magic tried to force-feed him in the post and it wasn't pretty. When he gathers the ball on the perimeter and tries to make something from nothing, it isn't pretty. Put him on a team with a clearer offensive hierarchy and a more limited role and I could see him going nuts. ORL, as an apparent rule, concedes any offensive rebounding to get back on D. I think a team that would gamble to unleash AG on the offensive glass would have Rodman-like possession +/- mixed with Dominique-like poster put-backs every night. Hand him the ball in a plodding half-court set and say "lead us" and you get what you've seen. Let him fill lanes with a team that rips and runs, and you get a poster factory.

Show me the rookie that will produce what he does, numbers-wise, defensively, either way. If you need a spot-up 3 guy, draft him. But I don't see a lot of guys who will be more complete than AG. Obviously, a draftee is cost-controlled but, nowadays it's a fact, this year more than ever, that the draft is a crapshoot. The 3 top guys in the draft have huge bust potential. If your team is a contender or has an aging and/or disgruntled star who needs help, an 18 year old with "upside" is a lot dicier than AG. In Orl, the top 4 players swap ranking nearly every night. If AG was on a team with clear star authority, IMO, he'd be like an Igoudala, Marion, Draymond level contributor...you can see his stats are respectable but his contribution could exceed the stats.

I could write a similar critical post of AG because he's not a star but the facts stated are true and my point is only that he's far from a scrub or a bad contract. I've probably posted more AG trades than anyone here but I'm now more interested in moving Vuc, finding an Alpha scorer somehow and letting AG and Isaac run with Fultz and continue to terrorize defensively...keep your crappy picks. :D
JRoy
Rookie
Posts: 1,133
And1: 578
Joined: Feb 27, 2019

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#36 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:49 pm

Skybox wrote:AG-bashing is fun but's it way overblown...he's got flaws in his game but he's still a very good player. If he could shoot 3's at 35% with 4 attempts a game, it'd be a whole different picture...well that's what he did last season. Not a spot up sharpshooter, not specifically a rim-protector, not a wizard ball handler...but he's very good at a lot of things.

He's 24 years old, over the last 3 seasons, he averaged 16ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.2 apg in a largely dysfunctional role. He's got as great a physical profile as any in the league at a spring-loaded 6'8 at 220 lbs with a 7' wingspan. He's played for a handful of coaches and systems in his years in ORL, so his job description (because he's potentially capable) has been a moving target. He's extremely agile and accepts the toughest defensive assignments every night, guarding 1-4 (Isaac is acknowledged as DPOY candidate but, to be fair, Isaac gets to opportunistically roam a bit while AG locks horns with stars all night). He signed a descending deal which peaks at just below $20m this season, $18.1 next, $16.4 in 21-22.
He routinely seeks and makes highlight reel plays which puts asses in the seats and ignites momentum and the crowd.

This season the Magic tried to force-feed him in the post and it wasn't pretty. When he gathers the ball on the perimeter and tries to make something from nothing, it isn't pretty. Put him on a team with a clearer offensive hierarchy and a more limited role and I could see him going nuts. ORL, as an apparent rule, concedes any offensive rebounding to get back on D. I think a team that would gamble to unleash AG on the offensive glass would have Rodman-like possession +/- mixed with Dominique-like poster put-backs every night. Hand him the ball in a plodding half-court set and say "lead us" and you get what you've seen. Let him fill lanes with a team that rips and runs, and you get a poster factory.

Show me the rookie that will produce what he does, numbers-wise, defensively, either way. If you need a spot-up 3 guy, draft him. But I don't see a lot of guys who will be more complete than AG. Obviously, a draftee is cost-controlled but, nowadays it's a fact, this year more than ever, that the draft is a crapshoot. The 3 top guys in the draft have huge bust potential. If your team is a contender or has an aging and/or disgruntled star who needs help, an 18 year old with "upside" is a lot dicier than AG. In Orl, the top 4 players swap ranking nearly every night. If AG was on a team with clear star authority, IMO, he'd be like an Igoudala, Marion, Draymond level contributor...you can see his stats are respectable but his contribution could exceed the stats.

I could write a similar critical post of AG because he's not a star but the facts stated are true and my point is only that he's far from a scrub or a bad contract. I've probably posted more AG trades than anyone here but I'm now more interested in moving Vuc, finding an Alpha scorer somehow and letting AG and Isaac run with Fultz and continue to terrorize defensively...keep your crappy picks. :D


Works for me!

Keep your Draymond in waiting ;)
Skybox
Starter
Posts: 2,378
And1: 1,399
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#37 » by Skybox » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 pm

JRoy wrote:
Skybox wrote:AG-bashing is fun but's it way overblown...he's got flaws in his game but he's still a very good player. If he could shoot 3's at 35% with 4 attempts a game, it'd be a whole different picture...well that's what he did last season. Not a spot up sharpshooter, not specifically a rim-protector, not a wizard ball handler...but he's very good at a lot of things.

He's 24 years old, over the last 3 seasons, he averaged 16ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.2 apg in a largely dysfunctional role. He's got as great a physical profile as any in the league at a spring-loaded 6'8 at 220 lbs with a 7' wingspan. He's played for a handful of coaches and systems in his years in ORL, so his job description (because he's potentially capable) has been a moving target. He's extremely agile and accepts the toughest defensive assignments every night, guarding 1-4 (Isaac is acknowledged as DPOY candidate but, to be fair, Isaac gets to opportunistically roam a bit while AG locks horns with stars all night). He signed a descending deal which peaks at just below $20m this season, $18.1 next, $16.4 in 21-22.
He routinely seeks and makes highlight reel plays which puts asses in the seats and ignites momentum and the crowd.

This season the Magic tried to force-feed him in the post and it wasn't pretty. When he gathers the ball on the perimeter and tries to make something from nothing, it isn't pretty. Put him on a team with a clearer offensive hierarchy and a more limited role and I could see him going nuts. ORL, as an apparent rule, concedes any offensive rebounding to get back on D. I think a team that would gamble to unleash AG on the offensive glass would have Rodman-like possession +/- mixed with Dominique-like poster put-backs every night. Hand him the ball in a plodding half-court set and say "lead us" and you get what you've seen. Let him fill lanes with a team that rips and runs, and you get a poster factory.

Show me the rookie that will produce what he does, numbers-wise, defensively, either way. If you need a spot-up 3 guy, draft him. But I don't see a lot of guys who will be more complete than AG. Obviously, a draftee is cost-controlled but, nowadays it's a fact, this year more than ever, that the draft is a crapshoot. The 3 top guys in the draft have huge bust potential. If your team is a contender or has an aging and/or disgruntled star who needs help, an 18 year old with "upside" is a lot dicier than AG. In Orl, the top 4 players swap ranking nearly every night. If AG was on a team with clear star authority, IMO, he'd be like an Igoudala, Marion, Draymond level contributor...you can see his stats are respectable but his contribution could exceed the stats.

I could write a similar critical post of AG because he's not a star but the facts stated are true and my point is only that he's far from a scrub or a bad contract. I've probably posted more AG trades than anyone here but I'm now more interested in moving Vuc, finding an Alpha scorer somehow and letting AG and Isaac run with Fultz and continue to terrorize defensively...keep your crappy picks. :D


Works for me!

Keep your Draymond in waiting ;)


Sad to watch Dame circling the drain. He's so damn good. If only he had some help up front. Maybe Collins is the guy. Hang on another year and another.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 41,004
And1: 15,766
Joined: Apr 07, 2010
   

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#38 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Covington got the Brooklyn pick and the Houston pick.

That minn flipped the Houston pick doesn’t change Covington’s value.

It seemed pretty clear that the Nets pick would be 15-16 area at the time.
If you are going to argue that the Nets would somehow collapse, I don’t really see that adding value as the team would then in ‘21 have Durant and a lotto pick (very likely flipped for won now talent). I think the Nets pick has turned out as good as expected.

I’m not really a fan of the poll options; differentiating between 12/13/14 somehow takes up more line then all of 15+; but I picked 14. If you want to argue 12 or 16, I think it is a bit too fine combed for my taste.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 41,004
And1: 15,766
Joined: Apr 07, 2010
   

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Skybox wrote:Sad to watch Dame circling the drain. He's so damn good. If only he had some help up front. Maybe Collins is the guy. Hang on another year and another.


Don't do this.
Skybox
Starter
Posts: 2,378
And1: 1,399
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#40 » by Skybox » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Skybox wrote:Sad to watch Dame circling the drain. He's so damn good. If only he had some help up front. Maybe Collins is the guy. Hang on another year and another.


Don't do this.


I gotcha. I meant it more as a critique of a team's valuation of vet vs. draft pick considering their timeline. No personal offense intended.

but he mocked my "Draymond" and that just gets my goat mister! Things just got way out of hand, thanks for reeling me in.

Return to Trades and Transactions