Toronto cashes in on Norman Powell, Portland goes for it

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Re: Toronto cashes in on Norman Powell, Portland goes for it 

Post#41 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:54 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
If that were the case, I'd much rather keep him and go for it. We are contenders, a late lottery pick doesn't sweeten the pot nearly enough to move him.[*]

I think keeping him and going for it with the understanding you cant afford him when he expires is the best move for Toronto. They have elite chemistry and can surprise any team, any night.

That being said, players of Powell's caliber (Which is a good caliber) don't command more than late lotto picks. Draft picks don't just bring a young player with potential, a huge aspect is the cost control. If TOR really wants to make a move for Giannis in 2021, having a late lotto talent making a few million gives them a potential high caliber role player at a cost that doesn't take them out of the sweepstakes. I think that would be the argument for moving Powell now, get a role player at a cost that doesn't impact the FA plan. Otherwise the team is looking at a great starting 5 but vet min bench options.

I agree completely w/ your valuation. i value powell at a late lotto (previously offered him + 28th pk for phoenix's pick), or a couple late 1sts. As mentioned earlier in the thread, powell is shopped if they insist on 2021 FA because FVV is due for new contract first and we can't afford to lose FVV for nothing.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#42 » by JRoy » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:15 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
If that were the case, I'd much rather keep him and go for it. We are contenders, a late lottery pick doesn't sweeten the pot nearly enough to move him.[*]

I think keeping him and going for it with the understanding you cant afford him when he expires is the best move for Toronto. They have elite chemistry and can surprise any team, any night.

That being said, players of Powell's caliber (Which is a good caliber) don't command more than late lotto picks. Draft picks don't just bring a young player with potential, a huge aspect is the cost control. If TOR really wants to make a move for Giannis in 2021, having a late lotto talent making a few million gives them a potential high caliber role player at a cost that doesn't take them out of the sweepstakes. I think that would be the argument for moving Powell now, get a role player at a cost that doesn't impact the FA plan. Otherwise the team is looking at a great starting 5 but vet min bench options.

I agree completely w/ your valuation. i value powell at a late lotto (previously offered him + 28th pk for phoenix's pick), or a couple late 1sts. As mentioned earlier in the thread, powell is shopped if they insist on 2021 FA because FVV is due for new contract first and we can't afford to lose FVV for nothing.

POR doesn’t value him as a lotto pick but as a backup 2.

We need a starting sf sac and that is not Norm.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Post#43 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:18 am

I was a big fan of Little during the draft and still think he has value and can grow into a serviceable role player. I think this is too much for Powell.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#44 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:47 am

I could see Portland being interested in this trade if they had another big trade lined up for McCollum. But short of that, I’m kind of with everyone else. Does this trade really move the needle for them? Should they be giving up a cost controlled lottery pick given their cap situation?

Return to Trades and Transactions