Offers for Knox?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, HartfordWhalers, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Trader_Joe, loserX

Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,692
And1: 2,943
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#41 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 pm

I dont think it is too soon to say hes a bust if he stays in NY. I do think there is a small chance he could be salvaged into a end of rotation player if he gets to a better run org with structure and stability.WHo knows maybe he then cares enough to work for his $ in a small market with less distractions? offer to send him to Memphis with the 27th pick for the the 40th and the rights to Zhelin Wang
Cant see NY doing better than that.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#42 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:The real advantage to trading him is if 5 million in cap can be better spent. Otherwise hold on to him.



I don't see that 5 million dollars being useful enough to justify it. If it turns out we need the money we could revisit this kind of deal later but until then I would rather bet on his upside.

I would be against it for the Hawks. I want them to use the cap we have this season on better free agents. But Knox is definitely the cheap priced player Schlenk has been know to reach for. See Len, Dedmon 1st time around, Parker, Skal, and Jones.

I think Parker was the most expensive get out of that list at 8.5 million. Dedmon signed for more when he went to the Kings. All I can say is in most cases we got what we paid for.


Well last year the only free agent signing that went completely according to plan was Marcus Morris. I am ok with the Randle signing because he mostly according to expectations. But otherwise are signings were flops.
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#43 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm

Stillwater wrote:I dont think it is too soon to say hes a bust if he stays in NY. I do think there is a small chance he could be salvaged into a end of rotation player if he gets to a better run org with structure and stability.WHo knows maybe he then cares enough to work for his $ in a small market with less distractions? offer to send him to Memphis with the 27th pick for the the 40th and the rights to Zhelin Wang
Cant see NY doing better than that.



We can do better than that by keeping him. Knox and the 27th are more valuable than the #40 and Zhelin Wang.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,692
And1: 2,943
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#44 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I dont think it is too soon to say hes a bust if he stays in NY. I do think there is a small chance he could be salvaged into a end of rotation player if he gets to a better run org with structure and stability.WHo knows maybe he then cares enough to work for his $ in a small market with less distractions? offer to send him to Memphis with the 27th pick for the the 40th and the rights to Zhelin Wang
Cant see NY doing better than that.



We can do better than that by keeping him. Knox and the 27th are more valuable than the #40 and Zhelin Wang.

no the 27th is nothing in this draft as a price to get rid of a bust.
but if you want to pay him to be a bust then you keep your 27th
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#45 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:14 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I dont think it is too soon to say hes a bust if he stays in NY. I do think there is a small chance he could be salvaged into a end of rotation player if he gets to a better run org with structure and stability.WHo knows maybe he then cares enough to work for his $ in a small market with less distractions? offer to send him to Memphis with the 27th pick for the the 40th and the rights to Zhelin Wang
Cant see NY doing better than that.



We can do better than that by keeping him. Knox and the 27th are more valuable than the #40 and Zhelin Wang.

no the 27th is nothing in this draft as a price to get rid of a bust.
but if you want to pay him to be a bust then you keep your 27th


Another way to say this is that we're being asked to trade down to save chump change owed to a guy who is only 20 years old.

We'll keep him.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 11,692
And1: 2,943
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

We can do better than that by keeping him. Knox and the 27th are more valuable than the #40 and Zhelin Wang.

no the 27th is nothing in this draft as a price to get rid of a bust.
but if you want to pay him to be a bust then you keep your 27th


Another way to say this is that we're being asked to trade down to save chump change owed to a guy who is only 20 years old.

We'll keep him.

oh I know you will, thats why he is being shopped smh
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#47 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:no the 27th is nothing in this draft as a price to get rid of a bust.
but if you want to pay him to be a bust then you keep your 27th


Another way to say this is that we're being asked to trade down to save chump change owed to a guy who is only 20 years old.

We'll keep him.

oh I know you will, thats why he is being shopped smh


Rumors are that he is being shopped. It could be true. It could not be true. That's what a rumor is. Every player in the NBA is part of a rumor at some point or another but it doesn't really matter anyway. Shopping a guy isn't the same thing as trying to move heaven and earth to dump him. So even if they are shopping him that doesn't mean they are desperate to move him and if they don't like the offers they get then they keep him. Trading back 13 spots to save chump change is definitely a worse option than giving a 20 year old guy one last chance to turn things around.
User avatar
Rockazoids
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,155
And1: 699
Joined: Jun 05, 2008
Location: Cincinnati
     

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#48 » by Rockazoids » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:In not much of a surprise, sounds like he could be available.

Read on Twitter

I say it could be just it's summer time and I got about 20 seconds to fill so I will says
"Kevin Knox, for whatever reason, has failed to gain traction within the Knicks, and his future could very well be up in the air going into next year,”.
You would think he would say something like" but we have to wait to see who the head coach is first.
KEEP YOUR BUTT @ HOME
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 41,004
And1: 15,766
Joined: Apr 07, 2010
   

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#49 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Rockazoids wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:In not much of a surprise, sounds like he could be available.

Read on Twitter

I say it could be just it's summer time and I got about 20 seconds to fill so I will says
"Kevin Knox, for whatever reason, has failed to gain traction within the Knicks, and his future could very well be up in the air going into next year,”.
You would think he would say something like" but we have to wait to see who the head coach is first.


If head coaches picked who was traded, GM’s wouldn’t be needed.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 7,670
And1: 4,774
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#50 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:12 am

Justin jackson and 31 to ny knox to Dallas
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 11,029
And1: 4,549
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#51 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:20 am

Jazz might offer Ed Davis and a future 2RP. The Jazz might be able to rehabilitate him the way they did with Mudiay.
User avatar
Showtime23
Analyst
Posts: 3,018
And1: 921
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#52 » by Showtime23 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:57 am

Texas Chuck wrote:If I'm a tanking team I'd be willing to add him but I can't imagine giving up a top 45 pick for him. Maybe I give up a "prospect" I've already concluded can't play.


This Anyone claiming top 30 picks is crazy talk.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,434
And1: 1,667
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#53 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:00 am

Seeing as it looks like he will only net a 2nd, it may be better for NYK to wait and use him in a trade for a star. I think they are currently waiting for one to become available and then will try to swoop in. A team trading a star is likely entering a rebuild and would be interested in taking flyers on guys like Knox. Sure he won't add a ton of value to the trade package, but he is the cherry on top that allows the other team to help sell the deal to their fans. "We got three 1sts and a former top 10 pick" sounds good and Knox would give fans someone to watch/hope develops while waiting for the picks to convey.
User avatar
Showtime23
Analyst
Posts: 3,018
And1: 921
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#54 » by Showtime23 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:00 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:I think the responses this post exemplifies why the Knicks should keep him. If he holds such little value around the league then we are better off holding onto him to see if he can turn things around.


One reason the Knicks might still sell low, is that they need to decide before next season if they are going to pick up his 21-22 option for $5,845,978, thus committing '21 cap ahead of time.

The other reason would be he has been abysmal, and has two years to show signs of NBA skills and hasn't shown having these skills for offense, defense, or rebounding.

Is getting a high 2nd rounder for a guy who has looked as poor in the NBA as Knox has really a bad idea? Mitchell Robinson was a 36th pick, we have seen 2nd round picks make impacts even on the Knicks.


Exactly. If I am Rose im not wasting 5mil for bench guy thats getting worse every yr.
At least a 2nd round pick, you can Lotto Gafford ( not offerring even if you gave knox, dsj, and frank) who already has several times more value or even a Jokic.
Resistance
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,807
And1: 1,521
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#55 » by Resistance » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:35 am

New York Team Salary

.....................2020-21........2021-22
Kevin Knox.....$4,588,680.....$5,845,978 - Team Option


Deadlines

10/31/20 — Team options on Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett.



The deadline on the team option for the 2021-22 season could be moved because of the changes due to the viruus.

Still, the reality of having to make a decision on the team option will remain the same for the team that he is with at the time of the deadline.


If the team option for 2021-22 is picked up this Fall and Knox is considered a bust at the end of the 2020-21 season, then the team that Knox is with will have a $5.845 million salary obligation that they would rather not have.

Randle has a partial guarantee of $4 million for the 2021-22 season. NYK could have a decent chunk of dead money sitting on the team salary for the 2021-22 season if they pay Randle $4 million to go away and a gamble on Knox doesn't work out.
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#56 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:46 am

Showtime23 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:I think the responses this post exemplifies why the Knicks should keep him. If he holds such little value around the league then we are better off holding onto him to see if he can turn things around.


One reason the Knicks might still sell low, is that they need to decide before next season if they are going to pick up his 21-22 option for $5,845,978, thus committing '21 cap ahead of time.

The other reason would be he has been abysmal, and has two years to show signs of NBA skills and hasn't shown having these skills for offense, defense, or rebounding.

Is getting a high 2nd rounder for a guy who has looked as poor in the NBA as Knox has really a bad idea? Mitchell Robinson was a 36th pick, we have seen 2nd round picks make impacts even on the Knicks.


Exactly. If I am Rose im not wasting 5mil for bench guy thats getting worse every yr.
At least a 2nd round pick, you can Lotto Gafford ( not offerring even if you gave knox, dsj, and frank) who already has several times more value or even a Jokic.


If I am Rose I'll worry less about paying a 20 year old former lotto pick 5 million dollars and more about spending 8 million dollars next year on low ceiling guys like Wayne Ellington who will take that kids minutes without making us much better either in the long or short term.
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#57 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:18 pm

Resistance wrote:New York Team Salary

.....................2020-21........2021-22
Kevin Knox.....$4,588,680.....$5,845,978 - Team Option


Deadlines

10/31/20 — Team options on Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett.



The deadline on the team option for the 2021-22 season could be moved because of the changes due to the viruus.

Still, the reality of having to make a decision on the team option will remain the same for the team that he is with at the time of the deadline.


If the team option for 2021-22 is picked up this Fall and Knox is considered a bust at the end of the 2020-21 season, then the team that Knox is with will have a $5.845 million salary obligation that they would rather not have.

Randle has a partial guarantee of $4 million for the 2021-22 season. NYK could have a decent chunk of dead money sitting on the team salary for the 2021-22 season if they pay Randle $4 million to go away and a gamble on Knox doesn't work out.

As of right now, assuming he team options are picked up for everyone but Randle we'll have a whopping 28 or 29 million dollars on the books. We'll be fine.
Resistance
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,807
And1: 1,521
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#58 » by Resistance » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:16 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Resistance wrote:New York Team Salary

.....................2020-21........2021-22
Kevin Knox.....$4,588,680.....$5,845,978 - Team Option


Deadlines

10/31/20 — Team options on Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett.



The deadline on the team option for the 2021-22 season could be moved because of the changes due to the viruus.

Still, the reality of having to make a decision on the team option will remain the same for the team that he is with at the time of the deadline.


If the team option for 2021-22 is picked up this Fall and Knox is considered a bust at the end of the 2020-21 season, then the team that Knox is with will have a $5.845 million salary obligation that they would rather not have.

Randle has a partial guarantee of $4 million for the 2021-22 season. NYK could have a decent chunk of dead money sitting on the team salary for the 2021-22 season if they pay Randle $4 million to go away and a gamble on Knox doesn't work out.

As of right now, assuming he team options are picked up for everyone but Randle we'll have a whopping 28 or 29 million dollars on the books. We'll be fine.



Future Traded Pick Details

2021 first round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 2021 1st round pick to New York [Dallas-New York, 1/31/2019]


That looks like a pick that will convey, so will put a cap hold in for it.

The salaries for the 2020 first round picks and the cap holds for the 2021 first round picks are just guesstimates at the moment, as those numbers could go up or down some depending on what the league and union agree to in an altered CBA.



RJ Barrett...................$8,623,920
Mitchell Robinson..........$1,802,057
Ignas Brazdeikis............$1,782,621

2020 Pick #6................$6,432,120
2020 Pick #27...............$2,187,360
2021 Pick #6 (cap hold)...$6,125,880
2021 Pick #27 (cap hold)..$2,083,080

Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000

Joakim Noah.................$6,431,666

------------------------------------------------------
................................$39,968,704


Notice that Frank Ntilikina was renounced to get the team salary to the $39 - 40 million area. His cap hold will be $18,529,734 and that would have put the NY team salary in the area of $57 million. The $4 million partial guarantee for Randle was also omitted from the team salary.
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,965
And1: 434
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#59 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:40 pm

Resistance wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Resistance wrote:New York Team Salary

.....................2020-21........2021-22
Kevin Knox.....$4,588,680.....$5,845,978 - Team Option


Deadlines

10/31/20 — Team options on Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett.



The deadline on the team option for the 2021-22 season could be moved because of the changes due to the viruus.

Still, the reality of having to make a decision on the team option will remain the same for the team that he is with at the time of the deadline.


If the team option for 2021-22 is picked up this Fall and Knox is considered a bust at the end of the 2020-21 season, then the team that Knox is with will have a $5.845 million salary obligation that they would rather not have.

Randle has a partial guarantee of $4 million for the 2021-22 season. NYK could have a decent chunk of dead money sitting on the team salary for the 2021-22 season if they pay Randle $4 million to go away and a gamble on Knox doesn't work out.

As of right now, assuming he team options are picked up for everyone but Randle we'll have a whopping 28 or 29 million dollars on the books. We'll be fine.



Future Traded Pick Details

2021 first round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 2021 1st round pick to New York [Dallas-New York, 1/31/2019]


That looks like a pick that will convey, so will put a cap hold in for it.

The salaries for the 2020 first round picks and the cap holds for the 2021 first round picks are just guesstimates at the moment, as those numbers could go up or down some depending on what the league and union agree to in an altered CBA.



RJ Barrett...................$8,623,920
Mitchell Robinson..........$1,802,057
Ignas Brazdeikis............$1,782,621

2020 Pick #6................$6,432,120
2020 Pick #27...............$2,187,360
2021 Pick #6 (cap hold)...$6,125,880
2021 Pick #27 (cap hold)..$2,083,080

Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000

Joakim Noah.................$6,431,666

------------------------------------------------------
................................$39,968,704


Notice that Frank Ntilikina was renounced to get the team salary to the $39 - 40 million area. His cap hold will be $18,529,734 and that would have put the NY team salary in the area of $57 million. The $4 million partial guarantee for Randle was also omitted from the team salary.


Still plenty of room for management to trick fans into thinking we're a legitimate free agency destination for the stars. We'll be fine.
Resistance
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,807
And1: 1,521
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Offers for Knox? 

Post#60 » by Resistance » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:57 pm

With Randle's $4 million partial guarantee and Knox having his option picked up this Fall.


RJ Barrett...................$8,623,920
Kevin Knox..................$5,845,978
Mitchell Robinson..........$1,802,057
Ignas Brazdeikis............$1,782,621

2020 Pick #6................$6,432,120
2020 Pick #27...............$2,187,360
2021 Pick #6 (cap hold)...$6,125,880
2021 Pick #27...............$2,083,080

Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000
Minimum Salary...............$900,000

Julius Randle................$4,000,000
Joakim Noah.................$6,431,666

--------------------------------------------------
................................$48,914,682

Return to Trades and Transactions