Jazz / Magic draft day

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Re: Jazz / Magic draft day 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Skin wrote:I admit I don't know what makes O'Neale a desirable trade target. This feels like the trade offers I used to make. Vucevic + 1st pick to move up any amount of spots... but those never get traction so I can't see this being doable either. A SF who averages 6.3 ppg in his 3rd year and doesn't have a 7' wingspan (an Orlando must) doesn't work.

O'Neale is essentially the ideal of what Orlando likely hoped that Aminu would be when they signed him. He's the prototypical 3 and D utility guy that can defend the 1-4 spots, and even some 5's. And he does it on a tiny usage % (this year was only 9%).
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#22 » by Skin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Skin wrote:I admit I don't know what makes O'Neale a desirable trade target. This feels like the trade offers I used to make. Vucevic + 1st pick to move up any amount of spots... but those never get traction so I can't see this being doable either. A SF who averages 6.3 ppg in his 3rd year and doesn't have a 7' wingspan (an Orlando must) doesn't work.

O'Neale is essentially the ideal of what Orlando likely hoped that Aminu would be when they signed him. He's the prototypical 3 and D utility guy that can defend the 1-4 spots, and even some 5's. And he does it on a tiny usage % (this year was only 9%).

We have defense. We need offense.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Skin wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

We have defense. We need offense.

And his shooting is an improvement in that regard.

Trading down a small amount in this draft to improve from Aminu to O’Neale is a simple yes. But there’s really no need for Utah to consider this.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#24 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:09 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

i cant see someone 6'4 guarding the 5. anyone would just shoot over him
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:50 am

tiderulz wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

i cant see someone 6'4 guarding the 5. anyone would just shoot over him

The 5’s he would guard are the ones who aren’t shooting threats. The Javale’s and time running type 5’s are the only ones he should take, but that’s still a handful of them.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#26 » by Catchall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 am

Royce just put up 12/9/3 with 2 stls while guarding Brandon Ingram, who shot 7/20. I don't think the Jazz would move Royce in a deal like this.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Skin
RealGM

Post#27 » by Skin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 am

Lock thread. Magic don't wanna trade for the next Mo Harkless and the Jazz don't wanna trade the next Ron Artest.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#28 » by Catchall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:38 am

I think the Bucks would do this deal with Indiana's pick though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#29 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:05 am

O'Neal is a very good 3D player, that have been playing very well in his role in UTAH, who also just signed the 4 years new contract extension, why UTAH will trade him away for a lessor player, who is injured right row, for move up 6 spots in a weak draft?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Skin wrote:Lock thread. Magic don't wanna trade for the next Mo Harkless and the Jazz don't wanna trade the next Ron Artest.

You don’t have to go overboard. No one’s called him an Artest, a DPOY player that can also put up 20 points a night and at each level of the court offensively. Obviously, you wouldn’t get an Artest with just a small trade down and swapping out your guy that isn’t working out yet. :dontknow:

Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry (with any clutch genes yet to be seen) are likely much more apt comparisons. Good defenders of multiple positions that don’t need the ball and can effectively stretch the court with their 3 point shooting that is always a threat.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#31 » by loserX » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:50 pm

Royce isn't any sort of star, but he's a plus defender and a plus 3-point shooter. That alone makes him a better player and better fit, especially at SF, than Aminu (who is only one of those things even when healthy) and certainly better than Tyler Ennis (who is Just A Guy).

If the Magic don't think he moves the needle *enough*, that's okay. This isn't enough for Utah either.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#32 » by j-ragg » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 pm

I think O'Neal comfortably has more value than Aminu.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,346

Post#33 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Skin wrote:Lock thread. Magic don't wanna trade for the next Mo Harkless and the Jazz don't wanna trade the next Ron Artest.

Don't backseat moderate and don't use this type of reductive arguing. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Skin
RealGM

Post#34 » by Skin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:42 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Don't backseat moderate and don't use this type of reductive arguing. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Don't be so sensitive. I would hate being a mod. I'm not trying to steal some sort of power and glory you feel you have. Did the humor and sarcasm go over your head that much? Even the guy I was talking to gave me an And1. It was a total hyperbolic comment, and please don't tell me that is against the rules. You need to get off your high horse. With this kind of moderating you discredit your BLM stand in your sig. Calm down and let people express themselves. There was no intention of hurt or harm.
Skin
RealGM

Post#35 » by Skin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:43 pm

j-ragg wrote:I think O'Neal comfortably has more value than Aminu.

Aminu is an overpaid mistake that never should've happened for the Magic. No doubt O'Neale has more value than that. Would you move down 6 spots for him though? Would be interesting to hear another Magic fan's take.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#36 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:58 pm

Skin wrote:

Aminu is an overpaid mistake that never should've happened for the Magic. No doubt O'Neale has more value than that. Would you move down 6 spots for him though? Would be interesting to hear another Magic fan's take.

Yup, easily. In my eyes it'd help move Fournier out the door but that probably wouldn't be Weltman's motivation lol. But yeah moving down 6 spots is easily worth it to move on from a bad deal/get a productive guy at more of a position of need.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Skin
RealGM

Post#37 » by Skin » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:36 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Skin wrote:

Yup, easily. In my eyes it'd help move Fournier out the door but that probably wouldn't be Weltman's motivation lol. But yeah moving down 6 spots is easily worth it to move on from a bad deal/get a productive guy at more of a position of need.

You're starting to convince me but I'd have to wait for draft day to see what the board looks like.

Return to Trades and Transactions