Mavs Wolves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Mavs Wolves 

Post#1 » by daoneandonly » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:17 pm

Dallas Receives: James Johnson
Wolves Receive: Dwight Powell, Jalen Brunson, 31st Pick

Why Wolves: They get a solid backup PG on a cheap deal and as a high a second round pick as you can get for taking on the extra years of DP's deal. He's a solid rim runner and locker room guy, so may fit well in Minnesota as a backup to Towns/Hermangomez

Why Mavs? They need a guy like JJ to get in the faces of his teammates when they choke away what should be insurmountable leads. JJ brings that much needed toughness and vet leadership this team is desperately lacking. They have Wright/Curry on the bench so losing Brunson is not as big a hit, plus they can bring back Burke cheap if needed. This also frees up '21 cap space.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Re: Mavs Wolves 

Post#2 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:22 pm

Value is meh. Wolves aren’t looking to use cap space so taking on Powell is whatever.

But the Wolves say no fast. They are using their only salary ballast in JJ for a consolidation trade. Not acquiring bench players.

Wolves have standing offer of JJ + 2020 FRP (top 3?) + #15 (2020 Nets FRP owed) for a quality win-now player.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,706

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:35 pm

Agree with rugby. Wolves should be looking to use Johnson's contract to upgrade not collect assets for taking on a backup center.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by wolves_89 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:20 pm

I don't see the Wolves moving Johnson in a deal for spare parts, if they do move him it will be as salary filler in a deal for a player they see as an upgrade. I also don't see Minnesota having any interest in taking on Powell's contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions