Hayward opt in and trade up on draft night. (Trade ideas)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Hayward opt in and trade up on draft night. (Trade ideas) 

Post#1 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:34 pm

Incase Hayward opts in (hopefully) to be traded. I like to know if the Celtics could trade up to Detroit or New York? Doesnt have to be that high. I think the top 6 teams in the draft would stay put (except) Golden State. But not suggesting them as trade partners.

New York are willing to wait for another rookie to develop? Thibs likes vets, maybe New York? Definitely see the Suns after their play in the bubble. All other teams, Wizards, Kings, Pelicans are viable. Spurs im not sure they always find gems and good at developing players..
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Re: Hayward opt in and trade up on draft night. (Trade ideas) 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:44 pm

So Hayward opts in before draft night if the likely consequence of him opting in that early is being traded to the Pistons or the Knicks?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#3 » by patman66 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:45 pm

I can see Atlanta working, but it will be all three of the picks and hayward. They may want Kanter instead of Dedmon so they can save 20 mil there. What I would find more likely is Kanter and Hayward for Dedmon and Huerter. They may want a later 1st And the celts get a nice TPE
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#4 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:So Hayward opts in before draft night if the likely consequence of him opting in that early is being traded to the Pistons or the Knicks?
Opt in deadline is october 15, draft is a day later he would be acting as if he wont be able to recover that in a longterm deal. Or worst use next season as a contract year.
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by patman66 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:So Hayward opts in before draft night if the likely consequence of him opting in that early is being traded to the Pistons or the Knicks?

hayward, 14, 26, and 30 for 8 is not unreasonable at all. a lot less if we take Randle back too.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:53 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:
Opt in deadline is october 15, draft is a day later he would be acting as if he wont be able to recover that in a longterm deal. Or worst use next season as a contract year.

Is that opt-in deadline set in stone or is it a function of the latest 60 day extension the union and the league signed off on?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#7 » by kg01 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:53 pm

patman66 wrote:I can see Atlanta working, but it will be all three of the picks and hayward. They may want Kanter instead of Dedmon so they can save 20 mil there. What I would find more likely is Kanter and Hayward for Dedmon and Huerter. They may want a later 1st And the celts get a nice TPE

That idea has been kicked around on our board. But I can't see the Hawks looking to add that many '20 picks. They certainly don't want more rookies. And their issues are defensive, which is an area Dedmon actually helps more than Kanter would.

If they want Hayward, may as well wait a year and just pursue him via free agency.
king01 :king:
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,825

Post#8 » by psman2 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:59 pm

kg01 wrote:
patman66 wrote:I can see Atlanta working, but it will be all three of the picks and hayward. They may want Kanter instead of Dedmon so they can save 20 mil there. What I would find more likely is Kanter and Hayward for Dedmon and Huerter. They may want a later 1st And the celts get a nice TPE

That idea has been kicked around on our board. But I can't see the Hawks looking to add that many '20 picks. They certainly don't want more rookies. And their issues are defensive, which is an area Dedmon actually helps more than Kanter would.

If they want Hayward, may as well wait a year and just pursue him via free agency.

Or just have Trae text him to opt out. If Hayward's agent know that a team is waiting with a 4/110m range of a deal then he would just opt out and give Boston the chance to match if he wants to stay there or just go to Atlanta.
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by patman66 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:01 pm

kg01 wrote:

yeah, but then you compete against boston. And yeah i understand that dedmon brings D, but Kantter gives you 8 and 8 in 15 min backing up cappela, is paying Dedmom 26 mil over the next two years worth his production when Kanter is 5 mill? that 8 mill is 30% of collins new deal. And what "picks" are you refering to. You get one of the later celtic picks at most.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,088

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:04 pm

Not draft night, but

Hayward, Langford, RW3, 2022 BOS 1st for Adams, Gallo (SnT), Nader, Muscala
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by patman66 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:04 pm

psman2 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Or just have Trae text him to opt out. If Hayward's agent know that a team is waiting with a 4/110m range of a deal then he would just opt out and give Boston the chance to match if he wants to stay there or just go to Atlanta.

Well i hope he does, becasue that it want I want him to re-sign for! 24, 26.5, 29 and 31. The celts get under the threshold and we get to keep our three wings.
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by patman66 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:08 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Not draft night, but

Hayward, Langford, RW3, 2022 BOS 1st for Adams, Gallo (SnT), Nader, Muscala

yeah, I think that is a pretty easy pass. How does that even make sense. The celts still go into the tax. And we like RW3 much more than one year of Adams.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#13 » by kg01 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:10 pm

patman66 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

yeah, but then you compete against boston. And yeah i understand that dedmon brings D, but Kantter gives you 8 and 8 in 15 min backing up cappela, is paying Dedmom 26 mil over the next two years worth his production when Kanter is 5 mill? that 8 mill is 30% of collins new deal. And what "picks" are you refering to. You get one of the later celtic picks at most.

Regarding picks, I was responding to you saying the bolded.

Again, I can't get past asking why the Hawks do this instead of just waiting a year. If he re-signs with Boston, as you suggest is possible, then isn't this just an elaborate rental anyway? Why waste Heurter for that? Paying Dedmon is inconsequential at this point because all our core guys are cheap.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:12 pm

patman66 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Dedmon is guaranteed $1 million in the final year.
Not included Huerter and expect to only receive a later pick.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#15 » by ChettheJet » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:01 am

kg01 wrote:

I doubt any teams wants all three of those picks to have three guaranteed rookie contracts. The move to make would be to discuss the trade with BOS and agree on a framework. Then go around and shop those three picks individually to see what could be had. That would be the plan to make the first trade more attractive.

The Bulls with new management are talking about adding more talent to the roster. Even a late FRP ups the talent level from some of the guys at the end of their bench. They are aiming to trade an unhappy Thad Young, I don't know that playing behind Collins is any more attractive to his ego than playing behind Markkanen. Or there's Tomas Satoransky. Christiano Felicio is a big body attached to a $7.5M expiring contract.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#16 » by Resistance » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:16 am

BillTheGOAT wrote:Incase Hayward opts in (hopefully) to be traded. I like to know if the Celtics could trade up to Detroit or New York? Doesnt have to be that high. I think the top 6 teams in the draft would stay put (except) Golden State. But not suggesting them as trade partners.

New York are willing to wait for another rookie to develop? Thibs likes vets, maybe New York? Definitely see the Suns after their play in the bubble. All other teams, Wizards, Kings, Pelicans are viable. Spurs im not sure they always find gems and good at developing players..

Detroit this season was 20-46 (30.3%)

Over a full season (82 games), that projects to 25-57 (30.4%)

If making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference next season will need in the area of 37 - 39 wins, are you expecting Hayward to boost Detroit upward with an additional 12-14 wins?

If Hayward isn't getting Detroit to the playoffs, why would they do this trade?
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#17 » by Buzzard » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:34 am

If Hayward opts in, he is a potential one year rental. Moving down from 14 to 6 is to high a price for Atlanta. 26 and/or 30 in this draft could be sold if Boston does not find a way to get something out of them. The Hawks want to add vets not three more rookies. Those late picks have zero value for the Hawks
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by patman66 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:35 am

kg01 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Regarding picks, I was responding to you saying the bolded.

Again, I can't get past asking why the Hawks do this instead of just waiting a year. If he re-signs with Boston, as you suggest is possible, then isn't this just an elaborate rental anyway? Why waste Heurter for that? Paying Dedmon is inconsequential at this point because all our core guys are cheap.

No it certainly would not be a rental as you laid out, if he leaves the book on him in Boston is mostly likely closed, I cant envision anyway in which they could ever afford him again. I think the team that he plays for in 2020/21 has the inside tract on keeping him. Even if he opts in I don't see the celts moving on from him next summer.

Atlanta doesn't even sell out every night, how can you say saving 15 mill or so is inconsequential? It may be inconsequential to fans but not to the org. Hayward would cost 34 mil, when a team is paying that I would expect the acquiring team to lessen the financial blow, which is why I brought up Dedmon. I personally would rather have the larger TPE and Kanter. than spend the money on Dedmon.

The picks were in ref to the op about trying to get the to the top 1/2 of the lottery. Moving up in the first IMO would be a separate issue from the trade of hayward and not something I would be in favor of. I would like to package 26 and 30 for something a little higher in the first though.
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by patman66 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:38 am

jayu70 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Dedmon is guaranteed $1 million in the final year.
Not included Huerter and expect to only receive a later pick.

so what are you paying for Hayward?
patman66
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by patman66 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:41 am

Buzzard wrote:If Hayward opts in, he is a potential one year rental. Moving down from 14 to 6 is to high a price for Atlanta. 26 and/or 30 in this draft could be sold if Boston does not find a way to get something out of them. The Hawks want to add vets not three more rookies. Those late picks have zero value for the Hawks

Agreed, Atlanta should have no interest in trading down for more picks. At 6 you have a much bigger chance on a home run than 14 and a couple of late picks. If the celts had 10 and 14 then yeah, I could see a trade down, but not for the celts picks. If atlanta wants hayward that will be in addition to picking 6, hayward will just be a playoff move only.

Return to Trades and Transactions