Clippers BLEW a 3-1 lead

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Clippers BLEW a 3-1 lead 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 am

1. What are they going to do? Major makeover? Minor repairs? Or run it back?
2. What are the realistic moves to improve this Clippers team?
#thevillain
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: (IF) Clippers blow a 3-1 lead 

Post#2 » by Slava » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am

They already have to make a decision on Harrell. As things stand now, they will benefit from sitting him in game 7 in favor of Zubac and 2Pat so they can't justify offering him the money he believes he's worth as the reigning 6MOY.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#3 » by Village Idiot » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm

On paper they have the pieces they need. Firing Doc Rivers seems like an option but who is available that might be an improvement?

I'm guessing they run it back intact
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#4 » by Buzzard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Village Idiot wrote:On paper they have the pieces they need. Firing Doc Rivers seems like an option but who is available that might be an improvement?

I'm guessing they run it back intact

Three weeks from now we may be talking about the Clippers winning their first Championship. But if they do flop in the 2nd round, I see a player like Beverly moved to clear cap so they can resign Harrell.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#5 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:56 pm

I think if they fail they will go after a 5. Drumond / Adam or Gasol Fa
1+1=11
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#6 » by The Rebel » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:07 pm

Watching this series I think they need a pass 1st guy that can create easy shots for others, that can take some of the load off of Kawhi. Beverly is just not the guy to do it, so a good bench passer would be a huge help.

I think they need a veteran backup C, that they can play when the matchups call for it, but he isn't going to bitch if it is a bad matchup and he does not get off the bench.

I don't think they bring back Harrell or Patterson, but Morris Sr will be brought back.

Their biggest issue is going to be finding a trade to improve, they just don't have the assets to do a lot of trading. I can see them getting ring chasers though.

Maybe they could resign Morris Sr, than split the MLE between DJ Augustin and Robin Lopez. While it looks underwhelming, I can see that offseason going a long ways to fixing their biggest issues.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#7 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:08 pm

talk Harrel into a SnT (a 3/D wing or stretch big)
get value for Lou
resign Jackson
they wont be able to resign Morris IMO so gota find replacement for him too
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#8 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm

This year might be their best chance as far as having depth. Morris and Harrelle might be outside their price range. Have to find the best player to take their MLE.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#9 » by DeathLineup » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:02 pm

I guess Clippers are going to run it back. They simply don't have the ammo to make any significant trade.

Clippers must find a way to re-sign Marcus. He's their third or fourth best player. And they should avoid overpaying Harrell. Harrell and Beverley can go but not Marcus.

The only ones who must be kept are Kawhi, PG, Lou and Marcus.
#thevillain
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#10 » by eminence » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Don't have a ton of options. I'm really not sure what they could do. I don't see any major moves as I think they simply won't have any available to them.
I bought a boat.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,087

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:05 pm

If the past is prologue, the players get on a plane and beg Durant to sign with them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Post#12 » by mademan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:22 pm

Dont know how you let Harrell walk. Ya he's been disappointing, but he's talented and gave you 19ppg this season off the bench. A bench, mind you, that was probably the best in the league and allowed Kawhi to load manage and coast to a top 2 seed. RS is still important, especially in the West.
NBAhipster24
Junior
And1: 67

Post#13 » by NBAhipster24 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Gotta get rid of Harrell and find a taller 5
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#14 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:32 pm

mademan wrote:Dont know how you let Harrell walk. Ya he's been disappointing, but he's talented and gave you 19ppg this season off the bench. A bench, mind you, that was probably the best in the league and allowed Kawhi to load manage and coast to a top 2 seed. RS is still important, especially in the West.

you do if someone comes along and offers up 4/80 or something like that
mademan
RealGM

Post#15 » by mademan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:45 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
mademan wrote:Dont know how you let Harrell walk. Ya he's been disappointing, but he's talented and gave you 19ppg this season off the bench. A bench, mind you, that was probably the best in the league and allowed Kawhi to load manage and coast to a top 2 seed. RS is still important, especially in the West.

Dude still had a pretty amazing RS, was, by a lot of metrics, theyre 3rd best player and was a big reason PG was able to be brought along slowly and Kawhi could take off games.

And Harrell has the same leverage a guy like JR Smith had on the Cavs. He's a good player and the Clips are already capped out and unable to replace him. They either bring him back and eat the money or let him walk and get worse (and losing him does make them worse, regardless of the 6 game sample of him in the playoffs). He played pretty well in last years playoffs and this year can very well be written off for him given the personal problems he had during the bubble
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#16 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:50 pm

mademan wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:

Dude still had a pretty amazing RS, was, by a lot of metrics, theyre 3rd best player and was a big reason PG was able to be brought along slowly and Kawhi could take off games.

And Harrell has the same leverage a guy like JR Smith had on the Cavs. He's a good player and the Clips are already capped out and unable to replace him. They either bring him back and eat the money or let him walk and get worse (and losing him does make them worse, regardless of the 6 game sample of him in the playoffs). He played pretty well in last years playoffs and this year can very well be written off for him given the personal problems he had during the bubble

Jr had leverage because of James n Klutch, I dont see Kawahi pulling FA card on mgmt
mademan
RealGM

Post#17 » by mademan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:54 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
mademan wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:you do if someone comes along and offers up 4/80 or something like that

Jr had leverage because of James n Klutch, I dont see Kawahi pulling FA card on mgmt

It's the same leverage. Kawhi is on a 1 year contract. You really think he's gonna be ok with the team not 'overpaying' a productive player (and im not even sure its an overpay)? Especially if they fail to win this and next year?

The 7 game sample size with him coming to the bubble late and out of shape notwithstanding, Harrell has had a wonderful season. Losing him for nothing will hurt, regardless of what these hot takes say.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#18 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm

mademan wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:
mademan wrote:

It's the same leverage. Kawhi is on a 1 year contract. You really think he's gonna be ok with the team not 'overpaying' a productive player (and im not even sure its an overpay)? Especially if they fail to win this and next year?

The 7 game sample size with him coming to the bubble late and out of shape notwithstanding, Harrell has had a wonderful season. Losing him for nothing will hurt, regardless of what these hot takes say.

theres no hot takes here, facts only...he struggling not cause hes out of shape, his game simply doesnt translate in playoffs, he cant defend and his O is limited, hustle/heart can only take you so far, hes just a more active Faried to me and his gm didnt take long to fall off a cliff
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,665

Post#19 » by Mattatron » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 pm

Clippers are very unbalanced. Bev just don't have it. Clippers are in need of a playmaker that controls the pace. Kawhi just needs good system players. But Bev, Lou Will and Trez don't have it. They don't have the mentality and are too limited. Don't think they would fire Rivers.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#20 » by patman66 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm

The Rebel wrote:Watching this series I think they need a pass 1st guy that can create easy shots for others, that can take some of the load off of Kawhi. Beverly is just not the guy to do it, so a good bench passer would be a huge help.

I think they need a veteran backup C, that they can play when the matchups call for it, but he isn't going to bitch if it is a bad matchup and he does not get off the bench.

I don't think they bring back Harrell or Patterson, but Morris Sr will be brought back.

Their biggest issue is going to be finding a trade to improve, they just don't have the assets to do a lot of trading. I can see them getting ring chasers though.

Maybe they could resign Morris Sr, than split the MLE between DJ Augustin and Robin Lopez. While it looks underwhelming, I can see that offseason going a long ways to fixing their biggest issues.

If they both opt in Kanter for Jymychal

Return to Trades and Transactions