Hypothetical - D’Antoni to Indiana

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Hypothetical - D’Antoni to Indiana 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:16 pm

a friend from Toronto reminded me last night that in hockey there's a notion that a player is a thug, but we like him because he's our thug. Smart is Boston's thug. Morris is the Laker's thug. maybe I'd like them if they were our thug, but right now I don't want them.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#42 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Indy will likely tell him using the pieces we have is a prerequisite to the job if he wants it. I have no doubts about his ability to run the offense through Domas.

The team won't make major moves to appease a coach.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#43 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Wizop wrote:a friend from Toronto reminded me last night that in hockey there's a notion that a player is a thug, but we like him because he's our thug. Smart is Boston's thug. Morris is the Laker's thug. maybe I'd like them if they were our thug, but right now I don't want them.
We could use someone with a bit of an attitude as most our guys are nice or quiet. There's a big difference between Smart who is tough and the Morris twins who are just jerks with some violent tendencies. I've never seen Smart cheap shot guys, but I've seen the twins do it numerous times.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#44 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:20 pm

pacers33granger wrote:[There's a big difference between Smart who is tough and the Morris twins who are just jerks with some violent tendencies. I've never seen Smart cheap shot guys, but I've seen the twins do it numerous times.

my friend in Toronto would differ with you on Smart. he hates him.

also, you can be tough without being loud.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#45 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:[There's a big difference between Smart who is tough and the Morris twins who are just jerks with some violent tendencies. I've never seen Smart cheap shot guys, but I've seen the twins do it numerous times.

my friend in Toronto would differ with you on Smart. he hates him.

also, you can be tough without being loud.
Sure and I get that Smart rubs some people the wrong way. But he's not a dirty player like the Morris twins are.
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 70

Post#46 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:21 pm

I think this trade would be a win / win for the Celtics and MDA-coached Pacers:

IND trades / BOS receives: Victor Oladipo, Myles Turner
BOS trades / IND receives: Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford, 2021 1st Rd Pick (Top 10 protected)

Why this trade works for the Pacers: Indiana is concerned about Oladipo opting out to go somewhere else or having to overpay him. Hayward is going to be a FA as well, but he is an extra year removed from his injury. So, a contract decision should be easier with him. Plus, his outside shooting would be perfect for MDA's system. The Turner / Sabonis pairing hasn't worked out to date and most likely would continue to be an issue in MDA's offense. Replacing him with Smart pushes Warren to PF, which is ideal. Langford and the pick balance the trade. Their new lineup:

PG...Brogdon...McConnel
SG...Lamb...Smart
SF...Hayward...McDermott
PF...Warren...Leaf
C...Sabonis...Bitadze

Why this trade works for the C's: Boston could use a center and Turner fits the bill. Oladipo wold be an excellent 3rd/4th option on offense. Losing Smart hurts, but overall this still helps the team. Their new lineup:

PG...Walker...Draft/FA
SG...Oladipo...Draft/FA
SF...Brown...Williams
PF...Tatum...Theis
C...Turner...Williams

Thoughts?
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#47 » by Guzman_9 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:26 pm

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:I think this trade would be a win / win for the Celtics and MDA-coached Pacers:

BOS trades / IND receives: Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford, 2021 1st Rd Pick (Top 10 protected)

Why this trade works for the Pacers: Indiana is concerned about Oladipo opting out to go somewhere else or having to overpay him. Hayward is going to be a FA as well, but he is an extra year removed from his injury. So, a contract decision should be easier with him. Plus, his outside shooting would be perfect for MDA's system. The Turner / Sabonis pairing hasn't worked out to date and most likely would continue to be an issue in MDA's offense. Replacing him with Smart pushes Warren to PF, which is ideal. Langford and the pick balance the trade. Their new lineup:

PG...Brogdon...McConnel
SG...Lamb...Smart
SF...Hayward...McDermott
PF...Warren...Leaf
C...Sabonis...Bitadze

Why this trade works for the C's: Boston could use a center and Turner fits the bill. Oladipo wold be an excellent 3rd/4th option on offense. Losing Smart hurts, but overall this still helps the team. Their new lineup:

PG...Walker...Draft/FA
SG...Oladipo...Draft/FA
SF...Brown...Williams
PF...Tatum...Theis
C...Turner...Williams

Thoughts?

Pacers wouldn’t package two starters to an EC playoff rival then get backs that don’t help elevate the team. If Pacers package fan favorite Oladipo and Turner they better be getting a star, not some quarters.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,704

Post#48 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Guzman_9 wrote:
I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:I think this trade would be a win / win for the Celtics and MDA-coached Pacers:

PG...Brogdon...McConnel
SG...Lamb...Smart
SF...Hayward...McDermott
PF...Warren...Leaf
C...Sabonis...Bitadze

PG...Walker...Draft/FA
SG...Oladipo...Draft/FA
SF...Brown...Williams
PF...Tatum...Theis
C...Turner...Williams

Thoughts?

Pacers wouldn’t package two starters to an EC playoff rival then get backs that don’t help elevate the team. If Pacers package fan favorite Oladipo and Turner they better be getting a star, not some quarters.

KP to Indiana and Dallas takes the Boston package? Dallas would let Indy keep Langford as well so they get a wing back.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:32 pm

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:The Turner / Sabonis pairing hasn't worked out

It is certainly possible that MDA would want to break up that pairing to fit a small ball system. To me that is not a reason to breakup the pairing prematurely, but a reason to hire MDA. I say prematurely because it is hard to say that something didn't work when the team was on pace to win 50 games had the season not been shortened. I also say prematurely because the pair hasn't played a minute for the next coach.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#50 » by Guzman_9 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Guzman_9 wrote:

PG...Brogdon...McConnel
SG...Lamb...Smart
SF...Hayward...McDermott
PF...Warren...Leaf
C...Sabonis...Bitadze

PG...Walker...Draft/FA
SG...Oladipo...Draft/FA
SF...Brown...Williams
PF...Tatum...Theis
C...Turner...Williams

Thoughts?

KP to Indiana and Dallas takes the Boston package? Dallas would let Indy keep Langford as well so they get a wing back.

I personally would do that but I doubt the Pacers would with the injury history of KP. Dallas could be hesitant because it seems Doncic and KP get a long very well.
Pacer Fan. 8-)

Return to Trades and Transactions