OG/Powell for Oladipo

Moderators: Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Trader_Joe, loserX

pr0gr4m
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 25
Joined: Jun 15, 2020

OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#1 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y58xalyr

Norman Powell, OG, and McCaw

for

Oladipo, 2022 1st rounder

The Pacers get athletic 3-D wings that can help space the floor for Sabonis and Brogdon's two man game.

The Raptors get Oladipo to pair with FVV in their backcourt, it would push Lowry to the bench. If FVV seems to be a bad pairing with Oladipo he can be traded to one of his FA suitors after the adjust deadlines.

Turner
Sabonis
OG
Powell
Brogdon

Ibaka(re-signed 20 million / 1 year)
Siakam
Tyler Bey (29th)
Oladipo/Lowry
FVV/Lowry
Godaddycurse
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,672
And1: 736
Joined: Nov 13, 2019
 

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:46 am

Raptors pass. Leaves too big a hole in front court and we are not paying lowry 30 mil to sit on the bench
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 8,175
And1: 8,787
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#3 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:14 am

^^^ That. And OG may end up being the best player in that deal in the very near future.
Love it for the Pacers, though.
pr0gr4m
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 25
Joined: Jun 15, 2020

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#4 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 am

djFan71 wrote:^^^ That. And OG may end up being the best player in that deal in the very near future.
Love it for the Pacers, though.

It's a high risk, high reward for Toronto. OG is a great player but he isn't capable of being a first option scorer or even 2nd. That would be the absolute first priority for Toronto right now. Their defense is up to standard and the culture is instilled in their other core players.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 28,663
And1: 4,155
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:56 pm

It’s certainly an interesting concept for Indy, and one to be considered if we felt we HAD to deal Oladipo. However, it’s a weird deal, too. If the concept is fiscal restraint, well, both Powell and OG would be up for new contracts at the same time, and would likely combine to make more than Oladipo, even on a max (unless Powell or OG collapse next year and bottom out). So making the deal may actually make it tougher for Indy, in addition to giving up cost control of a future 1st. Some things to like, some things to hate. But overall, a compelling concept.
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,731
And1: 2,384
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:It’s certainly an interesting concept for Indy, and one to be considered if we felt we HAD to deal Oladipo. However, it’s a weird deal, too. If the concept is fiscal restraint, well, both Powell and OG would be up for new contracts at the same time, and would likely combine to make more than Oladipo, even on a max (unless Powell or OG collapse next year and bottom out). So making the deal may actually make it tougher for Indy, in addition to giving up cost control of a future 1st. Some things to like, some things to hate. But overall, a compelling concept.

Still feel Indy takes this with the quickness, depending on the protections on the '22 1st. This is great value for Dipo. He's had 1 really standout season surrounded by injuries, inconsistency, inefficiency and averageness. He has this star moniker attached to him that's honestly kind of strange to me and will soon be an UFA who's been surrounded with whispers he wants to leave anyway.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Jordan Syndrome
Sophomore
Posts: 225
And1: 182
Joined: Jun 29, 2020
 

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#7 » by Jordan Syndrome » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:07 pm

This is fantastic for Indiana in every way. There is no way Toronto does this though as OG is already better than what we have seen from Oladipo post-injury.
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,731
And1: 2,384
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#8 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:08 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
djFan71 wrote:^^^ That. And OG may end up being the best player in that deal in the very near future.
Love it for the Pacers, though.

It's a high risk, high reward for Toronto. OG is a great player but he isn't capable of being a first option scorer or even 2nd. That would be the absolute first priority for Toronto right now. Their defense is up to standard and the culture is instilled in their other core players.

I don't think Dipo is capable of being a 1st option either, maybe not 2nd. He has one really standout season where he was forced into being a 1st option and although he was pretty successful that year, aside from that he's been pretty damn meh and he's always hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot in the right role, but if the point for Toronto is to turn an excellent and a good role player into a risky 1st option, this isn't it unless Indy agreed to have lax protections on that 1st.

You have to worry about keeping him too, meaning you're probably paying him a ton of money to keep him off the market, whether he deserves that payday or not.

I don't hate it for Toronto and I like it a lot for Indy, but Idk, he's still a huge risk.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 28,663
And1: 4,155
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:44 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
djFan71 wrote:^^^ That. And OG may end up being the best player in that deal in the very near future.
Love it for the Pacers, though.

It's a high risk, high reward for Toronto. OG is a great player but he isn't capable of being a first option scorer or even 2nd. That would be the absolute first priority for Toronto right now. Their defense is up to standard and the culture is instilled in their other core players.

I don't think Dipo is capable of being a 1st option either, maybe not 2nd. He has one really standout season where he was forced into being a 1st option and although he was pretty successful that year, aside from that he's been pretty damn meh and he's always hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot in the right role, but if the point for Toronto is to turn an excellent and a good role player into a risky 1st option, this isn't it unless Indy agreed to have lax protections on that 1st.

You have to worry about keeping him too, meaning you're probably paying him a ton of money to keep him off the market, whether he deserves that payday or not.

I don't hate it for Toronto and I like it a lot for Indy, but Idk, he's still a huge risk.



If this deal makes Indy, 4th seed in the East already, a much better team, why would you request “low protections” on the pick? Isn’t that tacit admission that it likely makes Indy worse?
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,731
And1: 2,384
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:It's a high risk, high reward for Toronto. OG is a great player but he isn't capable of being a first option scorer or even 2nd. That would be the absolute first priority for Toronto right now. Their defense is up to standard and the culture is instilled in their other core players.

I don't think Dipo is capable of being a 1st option either, maybe not 2nd. He has one really standout season where he was forced into being a 1st option and although he was pretty successful that year, aside from that he's been pretty damn meh and he's always hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot in the right role, but if the point for Toronto is to turn an excellent and a good role player into a risky 1st option, this isn't it unless Indy agreed to have lax protections on that 1st.

You have to worry about keeping him too, meaning you're probably paying him a ton of money to keep him off the market, whether he deserves that payday or not.

I don't hate it for Toronto and I like it a lot for Indy, but Idk, he's still a huge risk.



If this deal makes Indy, 4th seed in the East already, a much better team, why would you request “low protections” on the pick? Isn’t that tacit admission that it likely makes Indy worse?

Imho, there's no way this trade makes Indy worse, but I'm always a fan of protections on picks, you cannot predict injuries, or totally predict free agency, maybe another trade is made for an actual star, that player gets hurt, etc. There's too many variables to ship picks unprotected. If I was Indy in this specific trade I'd probably ask for something like permanent top 10, at worst top 7.

Indy has faired fine without Dipo and he on his own, even in his peak form didn't really make them a contender. But I'd still want the insurance of some ridiculous rash of injuries and the such that winds up where you miss the playoffs and windup say the 13th pick and make a top 4 jump in the lottery and now you've basically given away a high shot at 8 controlled years of franchise building block for some solid young role players.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
jimmy keys
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,202
And1: 2,317
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#11 » by jimmy keys » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm

yeah OG is pretty close to untouchable, it would take a massive offer to consider trading him. Injured Oladipo isn't it. It's not even that close.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,687
And1: 1,742
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#12 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Pacers would love OG but the deal probably needs a third team because as constructed we'd have to waive people to clear roster spots. and please don't read this as believing that Toronto has any interest in moving OG.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 28,663
And1: 4,155
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I don't think Dipo is capable of being a 1st option either, maybe not 2nd. He has one really standout season where he was forced into being a 1st option and although he was pretty successful that year, aside from that he's been pretty damn meh and he's always hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot in the right role, but if the point for Toronto is to turn an excellent and a good role player into a risky 1st option, this isn't it unless Indy agreed to have lax protections on that 1st.

You have to worry about keeping him too, meaning you're probably paying him a ton of money to keep him off the market, whether he deserves that payday or not.

I don't hate it for Toronto and I like it a lot for Indy, but Idk, he's still a huge risk.



If this deal makes Indy, 4th seed in the East already, a much better team, why would you request “low protections” on the pick? Isn’t that tacit admission that it likely makes Indy worse?

Imho, there's no way this trade makes Indy worse, but I'm always a fan of protections on picks, you cannot predict injuries, or totally predict free agency, maybe another trade is made for an actual star, that player gets hurt, etc. There's too many variables to ship picks unprotected. If I was Indy in this specific trade I'd probably ask for something like permanent top 10, at worst top 7.

Indy has faired fine without Dipo and he on his own, even in his peak form didn't really make them a contender. But I'd still want the insurance of some ridiculous rash of injuries and the such that winds up where you miss the playoffs and windup say the 13th pick and make a top 4 jump in the lottery and now you've basically given away a high shot at 8 controlled years of franchise building block for some solid young role players.



We didn’t see peak Oladipo this year. Peak Oladipo was An all-NBA and All-Defensive team player that was truly a top 15 player for a season. We saw a broken Oladipo that was still putting up 20-5-4 in the bubble/playoffs in limited playing time, off a weak knee. My only assumption is that as the knee continues to strengthen, his leaping/second leap/finishing will get better and his shot will steady. He may not be the kamikaze hyper elite finisher at the rim he was that year, but no reason not to think he could bounce back to a borderline All-defense guy every year that can also put up 20 points a night, while stretching the court ultra deep. No Dame, but a dang fine player that would really cure a lot of Indy’s ills. Optimistic maybe, but if we viewed his injury as a 2 year rehab, we’re still early in it.
patman66
Rookie
Posts: 1,052
And1: 250
Joined: Dec 11, 2019
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#14 » by patman66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm

This is a home run for Indy, no more will he stay/ will he be the same player. Let toronto worry about it.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 18,776
And1: 16,327
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#15 » by mademan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:53 pm

hate it for Raps. If the Pacers think Oladipo wont re-sign or think he will cost too much, this is a winner for them. Then again, they might want to gamble on Oladipo's potential to return to form
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 28,663
And1: 4,155
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:23 pm

patman66 wrote:This is a home run for Indy, no more will he stay/ will he be the same player. Let toronto worry about it.



Same issue about Powell exists. And the OG negotiation may be fraught. Is he a max contract guy? Are you willing to overpay on the max to keep from angering him on his next contract? The risks aren’t eliminated. Just shifted.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 13,137
And1: 5,546
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#17 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Indy won't be trading Vic for role players unless he says he's out or the injury is worse than reported, at which point no one is offering anything of value.
patman66
Rookie
Posts: 1,052
And1: 250
Joined: Dec 11, 2019
     

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#18 » by patman66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
patman66 wrote:This is a home run for Indy, no more will he stay/ will he be the same player. Let toronto worry about it.



Same issue about Powell exists. And the OG negotiation may be fraught. Is he a max contract guy? Are you willing to overpay on the max to keep from angering him on his next contract? The risks aren’t eliminated. Just shifted.


my concern was with the injury/salary. andI don't see OG as a max but the same as jaylen brown maybe a little else. .
Patsfan1081
General Manager
Posts: 8,598
And1: 3,381
Joined: Jan 06, 2015

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#19 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:This is fantastic for Indiana in every way. There is no way Toronto does this though as OG is already better than what we have seen from Oladipo post-injury.

Love to see the statistics that back this up...,,
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 29,487
And1: 16,791
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: OG/Powell for Oladipo 

Post#20 » by MotownMadness » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Would rather have OG

Return to Trades and Transactions